Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The first thing you’ll learn is that the starter decks are designed around what comes in the box, not what is best for each character. Same with marvel champions. It’s a little more blatant there because you’ll end up with three copies of cards that say “one per player in play”.

I’m not sure how I would build a solo Daisy deck. The only seekers I think can solo are Amanda, due to her flexibility, Joe because of his fighting, and Ursula because she can outrun her problems.

If you play again, you might want to bring two investigators, like Roland and Wendy or Roland and daisy. Playing two handed is easier than in marvel because you’re not trying a new hand every turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The hard bag doesn’t usually include a -6, sometimes the symbol tokens can get that bad but rarely in the first adventure. You can succeed there by playing to your character strengths: either playing characters like Minh or Silas who give you more out of skill cards, playing cancels and automatic effects, by getting your numbers up ridiculously high (with skill commits, or changing your stat values with things like Money talks and well-connected.) It’s also easier to employ fail to win strategies with survivors if the bag doesn’t have a +1.

In Mystic, you can trap bad tokens, which can take out nasty things that penalize you even if you succeed on your test. It’s costly but with a team doing it, you can remove one of the most swingy parts of some scenarios. Someone explains how to do this in Arkham database with a deck called seal team.

Expert, with the -8, opens a few strategies (Hit Me and the rogue card that lets you turn a negative into a positive), but at that level, you’re executing specific decks and taking as few tests as possible. That’s why I normally play 2-3 players on hard, you get a challenge but multiple paths are open.

Since Innsmouth has come out, there’s one more strategy: massively changing the bag. Survivors and guardians have the technology to add a lot of blessings, which with a two XP upgrade can become auto succeeds on any test you have a prayer of passing.

In regards to XP, there are no campaigns that are unbeatable, even on expert, starting in zero XP. According to a new edge of the earth card, the trade-off for XP is roughly 3XP for two trauma, and bringing characters from previous campaigns definitely skews that curve. Still, it’s a better option than every campaign ending with you dying/retiring even if you succeed.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 3, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Not really unless you play 4p.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

They’re both fine as long as you can get the entire kit.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There’s a custom campaign that has a similar trick, but you get to heal one mental trauma.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

That’s a tricky one, even a nearly perfect run will lead you to guessing at least half of the final answer. A real master we use Gené and lockpicks to trigger that space three or four times a game, and start guessing as late as possible.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It melts stone, overgrowth, arcane barriers, and doors.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I mean ghoul priest will hit you if you miss him, he has retaliate. But you only take attacks of opportunity when you do something other than attack, parlay, evade or resign.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

https://mysteriouschanting.wordpress.com/2022/02/01/arkham-incidents/ five new scenarios from the guy who made Alice in Wonderland, war of the worlds and Foundations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I mean, you should probably have someone who can fight instead of someone who can flex and cancel.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Dexter can do some good fighting, although he’s likely still limited by uses and charges. If you’re going to have a mage-fighter, it should be Akachi or someone who can split the difference (Jacqueline and Joe Diamond are a good combo for this.) Akachi with a certain guardian necklace has the healing by killing that might be necessary.

I’m running through a campaign with Tommy and Minh and they are an excellent combo. Lesson learned always puts in work.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s viable in return to TCU. (Someone online also made a parallel Carolyn, where instead of hypnotic therapy she can take horror to give people boosts on their failed WP checks.)

We are going through as Danielle and Trish and certainly all the evasion is helpful. So is hitting the recurring boss with a sledgehammer(4).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

With mostly blue and very little yellow, Carolyn doesn’t have ‘good’ action economy. With solemn vow, Peter and the stones, she can do what she does best with zero actions a turn, but she doesn’t have a way to gain acceleration on investigation. She has some huge damage punches like dynamite and gang up, and can take the new guardian/mystic spells, but it’s not a linear “three actions of turn lead to two clues” kind of thing.

Everything is situational and often indirect. Enchant weapon, sword cane, call for back up, stick to the plan (with dynamite, teamwork, and ever vigilant), scientific theory(1), liquid courage, you could even go for spirit of humanity or cheat death.

(You can become direct but it takes a party wide effort; Dexter can give her things with black market and she can do fine with attack or clue spells. You can also give her the book of psalms to juice the bag, and fish for blessed tokens, with blessing of the sun being helpful.)

Sister Mary is similar but has better spell and weapon access. Both her and Dr. Fern can supercharge the efficiency and economy of other people, but it’s going to be indirect. (If you wanted to be extremely direct, pair with Agnes and a flexer like Joe or Winnie. Just Carolyn and Agnes together have a problem where they need spells to really get started on offense or defense.)

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 14, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

So I've felt that with deck builders like Legendary, where there's some scheme that you're trying to race while everyone is trying to get their decks sorted, the fewer the players the better. Two players that have had two turns a piece will have better decks than four players that have only had one, and a easier time dealing with the baddies.

Is Arkham similar in that regard? Do fewer players/investigators have an easier time since they can get their boards set up more quickly, or does the flow of the game balance out better with the number of players/investigators?
Legendary is a market row deck builder, which means you have to build your deck as you play. Arkham you start with the 30 cards of your choice, signatures and weaknesses.

Arkham becomes easier with more players because it lowers the effective randomness. In solo, if you have a bad starting hand you can’t do much. In four player, if you have a bad draw other people can help you draw cards, possibly give you cash and assets, or cover for you as you draw your good stuff. People can specialize, with combat characters able to do a lot more combat and seekers having more time and deck focus to get clues.

Edge of the earth counters this with location wide effects. TCU does it by requiring more investigations and punishing you for going through the encounter deck, which will happen much faster the more players you have. In Innsmouth, certain cards affect all enemies and cause a deadly swarm affect.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Legendary balances itself by having secondary editions of the game, where other players can help you during your turn. Normal legendary is not balanced for more players

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You can leave the basement pretty easily, I don’t think that guy makes attacks of opportunity.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Someone remade that scenario and the museum, here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/px32o8/how_to_make_not_so_well_designed_scenarios_better/

They haven’t made another scenario as bad as U&U because it can be defeated in a few rounds as long as you draw mind blank.

I can’t imagine someone worse to go through Dunwich with than Winnifred. With Yorick, he can use Survivor tech to get rid of/negate the most damaging treacheries at least.
—-
Had a wonderful run through the witch house and then an abominable one in the graveyard, playing Daniela paired with Trish. I just didn’t get my soak out and that scenario really really really likes to damage you.

—-
Doing Winnie and Stella in Innsmouth with a new player, on normal. Double flex is tricky, especially with our best clue acceleration being from look what I found. First time getting none of the keys in Devil’s, but I’ve never been able to beat it completely without magic portal. I don’t know how this is balanced in one player where moving the boat can be your entire turn.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 20, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There aren’t many bad supplies in TFA. Some aren’t useful till the middle or the end of the campaign.
The problem with double mystic is there aren’t a lot of xp allies, especially if you don’t have edge of the earth. At least Agnes can take some survivor ones, and have fun with leveled up Peter S. And it would be possible for Ursula to take the level three hallowed mirror to heal all that horror damage.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Handcuffs are extremely useful for cultist scenarios and TCU has a lot of cultist scenarios. It was a difference between our repeated failed Trish/Daniella runs our cakewalk Rita/Joe run. (One thing we noticed this time that made a huge difference: not every cultist has the silver twilight trait, which means many of them can be killed with impunity.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There are enough cards released at this point that you can probably beat any campaign with any investigator on easy, as long as you have a perfect prepared deck.

There are characters that are more fun to play with others, like Carolyn, Sister Mary, Bob and Harvey. Getting to use their power on other people is a lot of fun.

Generally, solo people should be able to fight and clue, which points towards Joe Diamond & Roland. I’ve had fun with Rita & Sefina. Ashcan is another good one.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

In general yes. They all provide really good options. I think there’s five books & five parallel investigators though so your results may vary.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Roland is a dodgy solo recommend for 3 reasons:

1. 5 sanity is really not a lot
2. his weakness is brutal, especially because 5 sanity is not a lot
3. guardian cards continue to be very fair, whereas you really want to include some broken poo poo into your deck when playing solo

Parallel Roland can get a huge sanity buff.

The weakness is a bit naff, agreed. But it’s fun to turn On the Hunt into a cancel & clue card.

I almost always play duo or trio so my advice is limited.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Upgrading your cards is fun! They become cheaper, more effective, you do more of what your character does best.

If you want your deck to become identical but better, you can just proxy “down the rabbit hole “from edge of the earth and play Diana. I think she can beat a campaign with 94% identical cards that she started with, simply upgraded.

I play a lot of Marvel but upgrading an Arkham is half the fun.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

A few helpful things:
Solo is much harder than more players, because the game wants you to do a lot of things and specializing hopes you more than the difficult increases for having multiple people. It’s also statistically unlikely to have a bad start for four people compared to a bad start with one.

You level up no matter what happens as long as your investigator isn’t driven insane or killed. That doesn’t mean defeated by damage or horror, that means you take as much trauma as you would start with (five horror in Roland’s case.)

Healing items that take actions are extremely ineffective in solo. You have three actions to turn and they all need to be used on progressing the game state. (The reason Roland is good for solo is that he can combine multiple efficiencies: on the hunt handles the encounter phase, and killing the enemy you spawn can give you a clue in a single action.)

It’s possible that two experienced players, with decks built for the campaign can still lose in part 1. Almost every campaign is designed to continue even if you did badly, and some balance the fact that you did badly! (In the Innsmouth Conspiracy, my partner and I completely flubbed adventure 4, but part six rewired the bag to make up for it.)

Get used to losing a little, because it makes the game exciting: can you afford to go after victory point locations, even if it’s incidental to your objective? What will matter more for the next adventure, killing the boss or getting people out alive?

Running two handed with Roland and Daisy or Roland and Wendy is recommended for the first run through zealot.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You always pull from the bag on a test. The only reason you wouldn’t do if you would auto fail (possibly due to an encounter card effect right click or auto succeed (due to a player card effect, like stray cat).
The reason flashlight is so good, is it lowers the difficulty of the test to zero, which works on on anything but the autofail.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, making every encounter card do the worst possible thing could make the game unwinnable even with perfect pulls.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

First watch is a lot of fun with Luke for that reason, give your pal an enemy that spawns on him, he’s in the gate box, discard it.

I guess I would mean Luke’s sleeping during his watch.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Jim’s problem is that he has bad signature cards. His trumpet not only takes up a hand slot but it activates basically at random. His weakness can be mitigated by running a lot of curses and blesses but there’s not much he can do that other people can’t, except run a really effective Winchester.

The signature replacement pack, available on the TTS workshop, replaces his instrument with Polyphonic, which lets you to draw a bunch of tokens and treat matches as being skulls. (That makes him excellent at cards that want you to draw symbol tokens, which many mystic cards do.)

He has the advantage of coming directly after Agnes, a character most people play directly into insanity.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, if you’re playing the odds. Path to Carcosa has three skulls in it, so your trumpet may clear seven or 8 horror if you play at early in this scenario.

Five cross class cards is a lot though, having two luckys and two Faustian bargains in your back pocket is clutch. And he could also bring contraband, which no one else but Dexter or Sefina can help you out with, and they already have plenty of their own things to play. Book of psalms and keep faith (and even token of Faith) let him be a pseudo sister Mary but with full mystic card access.

(I may’ve have said it before but Zoey and her ability to “You owe me one!” spells make her remarkably flexible for a guardian.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

That’s why each of the core box investigators is dual class. And why the individual hero packs are so good.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You’re gonna lose some partners. There are pluses and minuses to that happening.
I’m super confused that we got an ancient evil drop in 2021. I houserule as “place a doom or draw two encounter cards that can’t surge”. Otherwise you basically have to take a Mystic.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Daisy in Skids can you put on good work, I’m not sure what the core box weapons are but you can certainly get clues. And with encyclopedia giving him a boost skids can probably kill anything on east.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There is another way to defeat him. It’s not nice though

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you’re playing with Agnes, remember her ability triggers when you put sanity harm on yourself, not cards you control.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you’re not protecting/casing your tokens, having back ups can be useful. Where and tear is real.

And beware if you’re buying $$$ capsules, the Innsmouth conspiracy will need 20 new capsules.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Finished TIC with Winnie and Stella. The Dodge and shoot pistol is amazing in this campaign, but especially in the finale. I used stuff from the rabbit expansion online, so massive props to 25 automatic(3) and cat burglar(3). Opportunist(4) was good but not nearly as helpful as those two. Sawn off is useless in Winnie if you’re not going around having a lot of strength commits or someone blessing the weapon.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The last three scenarios in Dunwich are by far the hardest. Sometimes you get bad draws.

Going to Carcosa, movement is going to be more important shortcuts, magic portals, etc. are going to be useful, as well as safeguard(2) and safeguard zero from the Nat cho pack.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Hopefully I already posted in the thread and you can search for my post, but the revisions people made to museum and unseen make the campaign a lot more even. With them, it makes it a fun campaign for Nathaniel, many gangsters to clock in the jaw, and using ‘get over here’! on the train is a joy.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I playtested dark matter and loved it. There’s one scenario that’s an out and out puzzle that you only really need to solve once in your life, but other than that it’s great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I’m glad everyone on Twitter responded the way I did, “do it Rockapella!”