Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I have a binder for each color, separate the cards into assets, events and skills then put them in alphabetical order. It makes it super easy to find things but I'm dreading adding new cycles in, lol.

Kalko's campaign post is very impressive and it makes me very glad that I decided to just house-rule down to only 2 Ancient Evils with Victory 0 so I don't have to worry about it turbo-loving me. I have to admit that I'm not a fan of how much the later campaigns shuffle the encounter discard pile back in so that you can just get screwed by the same cards over and over. I just finished a Carcosa run and it was such a breath of fresh air to go through the whole encounter deck in a scenario again. Love to see the Sledgehammer get some love.

I've also started trying to run 2 Flex investigators instead of Cluever + Fighter and it does feel really strong to be able to clear enemies and locations with both but it does make you very reliant on drawing key cards and having the resources to play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

drat that Luxley is so good for Caroline. Lvl 0 already was imo, but this is something else.

Dragon Pole lvl 3 falls in that weird area a lot of low XP weapons (usually 1 or 2 XP cost, sometimes 3) fall into where a lot of their text is certainly very good, but they don't get the +2 damage so they end up barely played. .45 automatic (2) is another example here. Basically if you are going to spend XP on a weapon, it's usually because the weapon is a primary focus of your deck, so why settle for something that's pretty good when you can spend an extra couple of points and take something great instead?

That said, it might be good purely for the 2 arcane slots granted by a single card and we should think of that as the primary function, and being able to hit dudes with stick as additional benefit.

In general though, the big question with the low XP (excluding 0xp) weapons is, who are they for, exactly?

Unlimited +1 damage on a melee weapon is already strong imo. Survivors only got access to that in EotE and Rogues still don't. In comparison fight spells for Mystics have limited charges and all have ways they can backfire with the wrong draw. This card is unlimited, gives you card draw and fills up its own slots with no downside. And only 3XP. I think for Mystics this card is definitely a good option unless you need the hand slots or really need the action compression and extra damage of big spells in spite of the risks.

It doesn't do as much damage as Guardians big guns, but those use ammo that you need to dedicate cards to work around. So I still think it competes. For Guardian the best comparison would be Holy Spear which is more expensive XP-wise and has a +2 damage attack and again you need to dedicate cards for the bless mechanic to get that. And this version of Dragon Pole can get to +4 on every attack easily which is really strong. Just throw in Enchanted Weapon or some big damage events for when you need more damage.

I mean its not as strong as Cyclopean Hammer but thats just stupidly busted, lol.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 23, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Sure, but if you are going to rely on Dragon Pole for your enemy handling needs, how are you going to ensure you will draw it? For Guardians they can use their usual Prepared for the Worst on a Stick to the Plan, but begging the question why not bring a big gun and some ammo too? (also discounting Cyclopean Hammer cus uhh, yeah). For Mystics, though, while spells might have downsides, you can draw them at least somewhat reliably, but a weapon? You're probably not even packing enough items and supplies to make backpack (2) worthwhile.

I can see it as a bit of flex in a clue-oriented Mystic to be able to do their part against bosses and knock some small enemies around if needed. Which is probably the best place the small xp weapons fit into anyway.

The eternal problem of the Mystic, I think. You never can really rely on drawing exactly what you need (which is why I always go flex) but its not a super big deal. You just put a Shrivelling in as well and then you can fight if you get either one. If you upgrade it you can have a nice reliable 2 damage weapon and a 3 damage spell. Personally, I prefer unlimited melee weapons over guns that you have to worry about having enough ammo with. Theres nothing worst than wasting half a guns ammo on bad token draws and realising that you're hosed. But thats a taste thing. In general I think its a good weapon option that opens up some new build-space.

Also saw some speculation that you could use the pole to remove weaknesses. I'm not sure if you'd be allowed to look at the card you're taking from the top of your deck before putting it facedown but if you knew what it was you could keep it there the whole game by intentionally never cycling it into your hand.

Lord Of Texas posted:

Lily can play PFTW, Akachi is fine rolling with whatever other fight/evade assets she drew until she finds the Pole which opens her up. Not sure other Mystics would care for an upgraded Pole.

Jim, Diana and Dexter also have 3 Fist. It's actually really surprising to think that almost half of Mystics have 3 or more.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Edit: a couple of daisy questions. I’m taking Hawkeye Camera over magnifying glass because I think I’ll be able to realize the full benefit pretty quickly, and the extra wit will be utilized against the encounter deck. Sound ok?

I’m also highly concerned with her lack of agility for evasion. I’m thinking of switching research librarian for Dr. William Maleson, to help her discard enemy draws, but at the same time, research librarian can do some soak when she does draw an enemy, anyhow…I could also grab strange solution and evolve it into the freeze fluid, but I’m not really happy about sacrificing any of my current cards for that.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Unfortunately, we only have core, dunwich, and circle (and the red, green and purple character packs). But Daisy is bringing ward of protection.

I’m also concerned about Jenny’s lack of a mobility card. Circle has some big maps. She is getting some action economy from having Leo and that card that lets you interrupt someone else’s turn to take an action, though (super reflexes or something?)

If you're going Hawkeye Camera then you could give Daisy Ineffable Truth and Carolyn could take something else. But yeah if it was me I'd just go for broke and get some Strange Solutions asap. I always go Acidic personally. Its so strong.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 28, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Carson looks good, giving an extra action per turn to another investigator is a strong ability. His stats are bad, but Guardian honestly has enough to boost them to respectable levels. Even just that Runic Axe could be customised to give huge bonuses and turn him into a decent fighter who follows the cluever around with Safeguard and protects them.

Amina looks kind of bad.... I really don't like the doom manipulation archetype Mystics use and honestly are you ever going to use that ability more than once or twice a scenario? Sure it saves some money but Jenny probably makes more over a scenario just by existing and doesn't have to worry about doom. All 3's across the board isn't a good statline either, especially for a Mystic.

The customise mechanic looks fantastic, very flexible and strong. I absolutely love the flavor of both Summoned Servitor and Power Word letting you build an army of minions.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 30, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

The upgrade on Word of Power makes it seem like customize bonuses are global to all copies, so hopefully. On the other hand the Asmoday pre-order page touts "48 upgrade sheets", which suggests it comes with multiples of the same one so maybe not? Or it could just be one for each printed copy of a customizable card so players don't need to share, which suggests 24 total (assuming two copies of each).

Relatedly, said pre-order page: ()

Officially reveals Kymani Jones AKA Waylay with legs. It's an odd ability, and doesn't play well with Deep Ones, but I know someone at my group who will jump at the chance to kill people by juking them. Also shoutouts to the Shoggoth basic weakness whose full text is obscured. Meanwhile I'm also excited for the possibility of having a real rear end Eldritch Horror style world map!

Also judging by the card numbering, the order of investigators listed on the back of the box possibly tells us Vincent Lee is going to be a Seeker and Daryl Simmons is a Survivor (likely the elusive Survivor 5/Seeker 2 character at long last).

I'm so disappointed, I had my fingers and toes crossed that we'd finally get a Rogue with 4 Fist who could be a competent fighter without being Tony Morgan but it wasn't to be! :negative:

They're still clearly being lined up for the fighter position so maybe we'll still get a permanent Sharpshooter or a gun that uses Agility. They need something to be able to deal with Elite enemies and with 3, 2, 2 in their other stats they're not doing anything other than Evading at the moment. Upgraded Stealth is going to be really strong with this ability though.

FYI, just in case anyone didn't know, I'm pretty sure this is the non-binary investigator.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 30, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Backstab and Sneak Attack already exist and their innate ability lets them save those cards for elites. I think they look like they'll be really fun to play, especially with Stealth (3).

Permanent Sharpshooter ala On Your Own would be amazing.

Yeah, but if you're the main fighter you need something more than that for elite-heavy scenarios or if you're taking on an Ancient One. But I agree that they look fun, they just need card support. They're in the running for my first playthrough for sure.

It really should have been permanent to begin with imo. It would make Rogue so much more viable in the fighter role.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I don't know if I'd want to spend more than 10XP on 2 non-exceptional cards out of my deck. It seems pretty risky even with ways to fish one out.

Besides, I think these look plenty strong even without being able to get all the upgrades. If you could I think they would be ridiculously strong in some cases. The way they've done this seems like the most sensible option.

Edit: Looks like Survivors are getting a customizable pocket-knife: https://twitter.com/ArchivosArkham/status/1545072791493525507

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 8, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Xlorp posted:

Blind run of The Forgotten Age, using full Return To rules. Calvin has been awesome. Spice it up with In the Thick of It and you'll be the crazed maniac who can also rip clues out of the very walls.
(&Walter &Winifred = our team)

When Calvin came out I thought he would be unplayable but he's had so much card support that he's now possibly one of the strongest investigators out there.

I recently finished a Carcosa run with him, purely to get to the final scenario and say Hastur 50 times and become a living god.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Seems best for boss fights in places where you also need to grab clues.

Definitely the kind of card you probably don't take with you on a blind run but can include for specific campaigns. Can't imagine you'd want to pack more than 1.

However, if you play the kind of Seeker that sits in one location for as much of the game as possible scooping up clues remotely, this card may actually just be really good for you?

I like that idea. Bonus points if you're Luke Robinson also using Summoned Servitor, Power Word and In the Know to never move ever.

Power Word might become a Luke staple imo. You can grab enemies regardless of where they spawn.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 9, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The knife has dropped:

Kinda looks like a worse Ice Pick to me, but I guess having a free +2 to your fight/evades/investigate tests every turn is good. Heck, just having a free +2 to any treachery test is great tbh. I can see a combo of the final upgrade and Granny Orne to reverse multiple failed tests a turn.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 11, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

The swiss knife is the first card in a very long time that helps Rita with a static evasion boost. It’s pricey, but having two of these out means that you’re going to be able to touch anything anywhere, or even pass weird checks once a round. (Willpower test on a location? With lucky in hand, very doable!)

You can only have 1 out at a time.

I'm thinking this might be good for a 2xQuick Learner Stella deck I was thinking of making. Get +2 on a treachery, fail the first action of your turn and get +2 to another test when it un-exhausts.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fantastic write-up as usual! Getting the Ankh to limit the effects of Carsosa-specific treacheries is a stroke of genius.

Kalko posted:

If you've ever tried to play Winifred Habbamock as a primary enemy handler I'd love to hear about your experience. I have a few ideas about what I should change, but I definitely don't have all the answers.

I haven't done a Winifred deck yet, but I did just run a combat-focused Finn deck that was somewhat similar to yours. To solve the money problems, I took Faustian Bargain and Watch This! like you, but I also took Lone Wolf for a steady +1 resource a turn as well as Pickpocketing (2). Lone Wolf probably can't be taken unless the other investigator can take care of themselves but given how much evading you seem to have done Pickpocketing could have been pretty helpful I think, it definitely competes with Lucky Cigarette Case imo. Getting 3 resources a turn makes the Rogue cardpool much more sustainable.

For guns I took the .25 automatic (2), since with Delilah that gets Wini and Finn to 6 before you use any other boosters, and it's a really strong combo with Delilah to evade, shoot and have Delilah cap them all in one action (that Finn gets as a bonus!). Then the Beretta M1918 was the big gun for getting to 8. I considered the Chicago Typewriter but the Beretta is more action-efficient, if riskier. Finally, Hard Knocks (2) got used for some bonus combat (or agility) when needed for big enemies after I stockpiled some cash.

But I play on Standard so I can't say how successful this would be on Hard. Plus it helped to have Jacqueline on hand to pass 1 or 2 crucial tests per turn consistently. I would still recommend it though, it was one of the most fun Rogue decks I've ran.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

There goes my dreams for a customizable Rogue gun that uses Agilty to shoot.... :negative:

I think one of the best uses of this would be to keep a non-Hunter enemy in play somewhere to re-use this. Otherwise it's a bit unreliable.

Kalko posted:

I tried Lone Wolf in Curtain Call but it was a bit awkward because both investigators were often together. It might not have been a bad Adaptable swap, though, I just kind of memory-holed it after that first scenario. I looked at the level zero version of Pickpocketing and dismissed it because it would take two evade actions to just cover its own cost, but you're right, I did do a lot of evading (probably more than I might expect if I actually counted up every instance). It's worth testing.

Your comments about two-handed guns reminded me that I did have one other idea, and it's this:

This is another one I dismissed on paper because it only hit for two damage, but thinking about it later pretty much all of my hits throughout the campaign were only two damage, and being able to do it twice for one action probably would have been pretty effective at times. It's an expensive gun, though, and it means I probably wouldn't be able to take Lockpicks, but maybe swapping Pilfer and perhaps Intel Report in and out with Adaptable would work for some backup cluevering. But yeah, I'd have to really get to the bottom of my resource generator dilemma.

And if I had the Thompson I could also use Sleight of Hand, and that might also open up the Lupara.

Food for thought...

Yep, Lone Wolf is amazing for running two Flex investigators who can run around on their own but it's not possible for a dedicated fighter. Pickpocketing was really good for covering the costs of Delilah or events, especially when I took Another Day, Another Dollar to offset the initial cost. With both, I could steadily maintain or build my resources until I needed to blow money on Hard Knocks boosts.

I'd be interested to hear if you manage to get the Thompson to work. With Sharpshooter I think it might be possible. I did find that having the Berreta made Lockpicks much less useful so I actually ended up eating the XP loss and swapping them out with Lola Santiago + Charisma just for the passive boosts to Intellect and Agilty (it was Forgotten Age so I had more XP than I needed anyway).

Have you tried Chuck Fergus? He's a huge investment XP-wise but he makes an event-heavy deck much, much more sustainable for Rogue. With Winifred, your card-draw might be good enough to only get one of him.

Orange Devil posted:

I like how courts are a Rogue thing.

We need a lawyer investigator.

We do have George to look forward to: https://eldritchhorror.fandom.com/wiki/George_Barnaby

I think he's a good fit for Seeker 1/Rogue 2-5, as the opposite of Jack. Could be Seeker 3/Rogue 3 if they do that.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 15, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

And another one:

Obviously great for Carson, but also solid for Carolyn or really any Guardian who expects their allies to take combat or agility tests. I could see this being a bit of a staple.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If you'd prefer not to buy a second core, grabbing a set of colored dice is a great way to replace tokens entirely. Just use a color each for health, sanity, doom, resources and clues.

I recommend it even if you have the extra tokens, its way easier to use imo.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

More fuel to the Survivor recursion strategy. I guess the best use for this is to throw your Deringer/Chainsaw at people when you run out of ammo (via Act of Desperation) and then pick it back up again at full capacity without having to worry about Scavenging. The resource generation is probably secondary but a really nice bonus if you need it.

Cross-class I can see the benefits of selling off those juicy .45 Thompson's once you're done with them. Ka-ching!

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 20, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Are there any expensive items with good skill icons it could combo with?

For Survivor Sledgehammer and Chainsaw are 3 combat, Fire Extinguisher (3) is 2 agility but that's about it. I think it might be mostly cross-class stuff you want to use for that combo. Guardian assets are all expensive and have good icons.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Also remember that your Investigator card counts as a card you control in your main class, so it counts towards any synergy cards. So Carolyn doesn't need to have a Guardian asset in play to have it counted.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yay, hearing that my suggestion paid off has made my day! I was also really surprised at how good Pickpocketing (2) was, its such an upgrade over the base version. Especially being fast and that you can have both copies out at once. I'm sure Kymani will also find it a solid staple.

I'm also really surprised at how much use you got out of the Rogue version of the Thompson. I have to admit I wasn't convinced but it seems that the combination of that and Sharpshooter makes it much more reliable and powerful than I had thought. I'll have to keep it in mind for my future Winnie deck, especially since it'll be Dream Eaters so hitting swarms will be useful. I've still got my fingers crossed for a Permanent version of Sharpshooter coming out in Scarlet Keys, but maybe I could think up a custom version....

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 21, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

My biggest problem with Innsmouth is definitely that they use those goddamn tidal tunnels in something like 6 out of 8 scenarios. I was so sick of them by the end of the campaign. It really soured the campaign for me, but in general I would agree that the scenarios are just ok. It could use a Return To box much more than Dream-Eaters.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kalko posted:

And in spoiler news, here's the latest one:

Very cool flavour but it feels like one of those Guardian cards which isn't quite good enough to make room for. Maybe on a Shotgun?

It's all coming together for the big Lightning Gun Carson deck.

I can see a use for this card. Guardians can always use a cheap, fast supply card to get back ammo in the middle of a fight and you could use the +3 skill to combo with Vicious Blow (2).

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kalko posted:

Yep, Amina is going to have some pretty good support.

This card is amazing. Amina + Marie are getting some massive support. Even just combo'ing this with David Renfield gives you insane resource generation. Someone on Discord worked out the combo with Amina:

Turn 1 as Amina
Play David for 0 + 1 doom on him
Exhaust David - Add 1 Doom - gain 2 resources
Use Sin Eater - take 1 doom, ready David
Exhaust David - Add 1 Doom - Gain 2 resources
Results: 1 action - 4 resources, 3 Dooms (2 if attached to Elle Rubash)
Turn 2
Exhaust David - Add 1 Doom - gain 3 resources
Exhaust David - Add 1 Doom - Gain 3 resources
:ActionTrigger: Clean Sin Eater
Results: 1 action - 6 resources, 3 Dooms (2 if attached to Elle)
Turn 3
Exhaust David - Add 1 Doom - gain 4 resources
Exhaust David - Add 1 Doom - Gain 4 resources
:ActionTrigger: Play Moonlight Ritual
Results: 1 action - 8 resources, 1 Dooms (0 if attached to Elle)
Total
18 resources in 3 turns

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Edit 2: I'd like to see a competently played hard difficulty 4 player game sometime. Reading write-ups of playthroughs is also great because they'll often make very different decisions than my group might while still achieving success. I love how wide the deck building and actual play decision space is in this game.

PlayingBoardGames on youtube is mostly 3 player but they have a few stand-alone games where they play 4 player. Only on standard though.

I watched an Investigator tier list on Twitch recently and they were ranking purely based on a 4 player hard standpoint. They made it sound like a completely different game. It was kind of nuts hearing them dismiss characters I thought were amazing like Stella and Wendy because of how overwhelmingly important action-compression is. Their strongest characters were ones that could recur Deduction or Pilfer to get tons of clues over and over. And Gloria because she's straight-up OP.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 22, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

New card:

Laughs in Harvey Walters.

This is just a better Handcuffs, lol. Chalk this up to another thing Seeker does better than other classes. Great card.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Handcuffs are better at bringing enemies with you. It turns out they are a great card if you build around them as parallel Roland and Trish.

I was being a bit facetious, Handcuffs have a few combos for sure. In general this card is great, there are so many annoying enemies this can obsolete. gently caress you Boa Constrictors, Brotherhood Cultists, Vengeful Witches, Mindless Dancers, Lumbering Gugs and Deep One Bulls!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Nah, costs XP, still causes enemies to gain doom and the test is only trivial in specific decks. Does work on more enemies though.

I feel like in general XP costs are undervalued in a lot of card evaluation I see in this thread. Cards that cost XP better be good at what they do or they’ll never end up in any deck as the opportunity cost is immense.

It's 1 XP. You're not exactly breaking the bank here, given how much grief this can save you. And most Seekers want to be running 5 cards in hand at all times at minimum anyway. The doom thing, sure, but enemies that get doom generally start with it and Handcuffs doesn't clear that.

Anyway, I recently tried out 'Fool me once...' during Circle Undone and it was much better than I thought it'd be. It completely neuters Daemonic Piping, along with a bunch of other cards that require you to draw multiple of them to hurt you. I recommend it if you're ever going to run TCU with guardian access. It absolutely saved my rear end in the final scenario.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

Note that you can only play "Fool me once..." when you would discard a treachery. If you're playing it for Daemonic Piping then the Piper is already in play. Same with any other cards that stay in play waiting for more copies to be drawn.

Well, that explains why I don't see more use out of it. I would still recommend it in the final scenario for Whispered Bargain and The End is Nigh.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Badly written card I think. I was checking discord this morning and they were interpreting it as the complete opposite to how this thread is.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Can you slap it on a weakness?

Seems like you can. For Daisy's Necronomicon?

I have to admit this is a bit over my head and I can't see any card that jumps out at me thats crazy good with this. I guess I don't play Yellow enough.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Thinking about it I suspect Vincent is probably going to like this with Medical Texts. You get the easier upgrades, no slot or attack of opportunity and a +2 bonus to help you succeed by 2 on the upgraded version. Anyone running Archaic Glyphs would also like this.

Another use is for Enchanted Bow, preventing it from taking any slots and getting +2 is great. But only like 4 investigators can pull that off. I doubt any regular spell is going to benefit much. An action and 3 resources to boost a spell with limited charges seems poor. I'd rather just run a different spell to replace it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

So can Mark or Rita do something dirty with this?

Also yeah the Calling in Favours combo is the most obvious.

Agency Backup, Grete Wagner, Venturer and Beat Cop (2) can use this to get an extra use off their abilities without paying health/sanity/supplies. I guess you could also use this to fast-play Tetsuo Mori to suicide him for 2 resources less, lol. I can't really see anything that Rita would like, which seems pretty typical for her.

Mystics could use Alyssa or an Arcane Initiate once without paying the doom-tax on them.

We're supposed to be getting a lower-XP version of Chuck Fergus this cycle. Maybe this card will be good for him.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 2, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Interesting card. The biggest use right now is going to be Survivors being able to keep their Old Keyring/Flashlight/Mariners Compass and still play a Chainsaw or Sledgehammer. Or a Rogue with a 1-handed gun who can then use lockpicks once and switch to Thieves Tools for the rest of the turn.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Hey, guess who just fully dropped:

Reveal and discussion is here at 13.30 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weh_P9GTYkw&t=771s

I like the backstory. Basically a reverse Indiana Jones; "This does NOT belong in a museum!" Their signature is great and the weakness is nice and thematic. I think the 5 bonus XP is going to really help with them, they kind of need to have some way to play the game with so much invested into Agility and given that their deckbuilding isn't super great. Not a lot of tools help them I think.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Empirical Hypothesis seems great! At level 0 it's still some steady card-draw. I'm not sure I'd really put upgrades into it even but you could likely make a great deck with Alternative Hypothesis that plays no-hand, over succeeds and enters a 3-shroud location to get a free clue once per turn or two. 'When a treachery or enemy is discarded from play' means you have to actually put them out of play, right? Not just into the encounter discard pile?

Ghastly Possession also seems good but I'll note that it adds uses 'rounded-down'. Clue and Evade spells almost all have an odd number of charges so this isn't that great with them. But it is a skill so you don't need to spend an action using it.

Calculated Risk is kind of meh. The most important tests tend to happen at the start of your turn. If you really go all-in on succeeding on 1 test then maybe I doubt it's worth the deck-space otherwise.

I love that Grizzled's art seems to have one of the Vengeful Witches from Circle Undone. You can select Elite as a trait, which is likely the pro-play. There are some cycles where this will be a game-changer, like Hex, Curse and Humanoid for TCU. Or Serpent for TFA. 90% of enemies in EotE are Monsters. Really seems like knowledge of the cycle will be a great help. If you know that your investigator will get hosed by a certain card, you can help neutralise it.

Quick Getaway looks like another card I'd really struggle to justify the deck-space for. 2 resources to save an action? I guess, but I'd much rather have a card that gets me more than that tbh. It doesn't even give you a bonus to the test like Breaking and Entering does.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 7, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rules question: I'm running Norman Withers through Dream Eaters and I have his weakness on the top of my deck, that says I can't interact with my deck in any way except to discard the weakness. I draw a swarming enemy where I'm supposed to use my cards from my deck as swarming enemies. Does the swarming keyword just fail and no card go under it?

Also, Livre d'Eibon can't swap weaknesses, right? That would be overpowered, right?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kalko posted:

Yes, no cards go under the Swarming enemy. "Cannot" is absolute.

Yes, you can swap non-Hidden weaknesses but they're just immediately drawn again.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I would say that The Harbinger does stop swarm; it's a weird accidental benefit, but the wording seems pretty clear to me.

And Livre d'Eibon can't swap a weakness that's on top of your deck, because it's either The Harbinger or something you should have already drawn via Norman's forced ability. I believe that it can swap a weakness from your hand to the deck, which would then force you to re-draw it. So if you have The Tower or something, you can use Livre d'Eibon as a card-draw engine, I guess, so long as you have that weakness in hand.

Thanks, that's a really neat interaction. It was funny getting it at the end of the scenario and not really caring but even better when I realised that it probably actually helped me. I wanted to check though because good lord did I gently caress up a lot last time I ran Dream Eaters.

Ah, I'd missed the Forced effect on Norman's card somehow. His weakness is Reckless, which is soft as gently caress when you have 5+ Intellect so I might benefit from eating the -1 resources a turn for a bit to get some more cards.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kalko posted:

Since Vincent Lee has a non-standard design here's the set's actual Seeker. 5/2 Survivor/Seeker, as everyone predicted, and it really doesn't take much more than Seeker 0-2 to make a powerhouse cluever (see: Trish Scarborough). Looks pretty fun.

edit: higher-res images.

I'd seen the spoilers that he'd have 5 Intellect but I was skeptical because holy poo poo does that make him strong. With Scavenging, Ice Picks, Winging It and Sharp Vision he's going to be a clue beast. Add to that Seeker 0-2 and he might be the strongest Survivor in the game. Two Willpower can be rough but he has good Sanity and can run Survivor soak (plus Hawk-Eye Folding Camera is likely going to be a must with him) so it doesn't really matter. The fact that he can just make tests easier just by getting clues is just icing on the cake. His ability is going to be crazy strong in certain cycles that have tons of treacheries that stay on the board.

I predict that this guy is going to be insanely strong when he releases.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I guess considering how weird the other 4 investigators have been it's a good thing to have a guy who is just Very Good in an obvious way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The wacky thing about a Survivor with 5 Intellect is that generally Survivor cards aren't built for your stats to be that high. Like Rogues, you have to use tricks to lower the value of the test, boost your way up or succeed by failing. Darrell is the first Survivor* who can just basic investigate his way to victory like a Seeker, but also has a poo poo-ton of cards that make him very good at getting clues on top of that.

*Except Calvin but you have to risk death and put in a lot of set-up to get your stats that high. But a Calvin with 6 Int, Scavenging and Ice Picks is a nutty preview to Darrell.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 12, 2022