Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I like using the "Return To" boxes and dividers for the campaigns that have them and clear sleeves. I bought a ton of the old FFG sleeves back in the day and after FFG stopped making them I've reserved those for player cards and use the new Gamegenic sleeves for all the Scenario stuff. This has proven to be a pretty slick system and makes it so you can't really mix up player and scenario cards: they're noticably different in size. I know the FFG sleeves are out of production, but I think I heard someone is making sleeves of the same size, I just can't remember who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
They were taller, with a pretty noticable amount of dead space above the card itself, so they had some margin of error for the card to seat itself. I really liked them, and like them more than the gamegenic sleeves, which is why i use them for player cards which are usually handled and shuffled more than scenario cards.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I have both Rougarou and Carnevale in their original incarnations and if the Gamezenter stuff is better quality I would probably buy those as replacements. The original POD stuff is pretty bad.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Generalists are always going to be the best True Solo investigators. Any solo investigator needs to be able to get clues, survive treacheries, and deal with enemies efficiently, in that order. As a general rule, Rogues and Survivors tend to be good Solo investigators, with a few exceptions. Mystics can solo but generally need set up so tend to do better with someone who can help early game, and Guardians and Seekers tend to be specialized, but the Seeker card pool is very, very strong.

With just Core and Dunwich, Ashcan Pete and Jenny Barnes are both strong at Solo, particularly Pete. Daisy and Agnes are both passable, but could struggle if they don't see the right spells. Wendy is good too, but you need to rely on Survivor weirdness and accept you need to Evade monsters rather than fight them.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I really do think the starter decks are a pretty great next step after the core box, though. They all offer strong investigators and cards, although Nathaniel Cho functions very differently from other Guardians and his deck is therefore a little wonky and doesn't offer as much to other Guardians.

It should be noted that Stella is absolutely insane and can do basically whatever a group needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
After multiple abortive attempts at campaigns over the years, I finally wrangled some friends and we finished Dunwich! We also got what I consider the best possible ending: we all died via horrible tentacle monsters, but still saved reality from being eaten.

Lost In Time and Space is an incredible scenario, we were biting our fingernails the whole time and had to use every trick in the book to survive. The map spawning from the encounter deck is such a great gimmick, and figuring out the puzzle of locations is great fun.

A particular highlight was our Stella player pointing out that we could lure a big pack of monsters pursuing us onto a Prismatic Cascade, clear the clues in the enemy phase with my Daisy's Necronomicon, and then dump them back at the beginning. Of course, we proceeded to immediately advance to the final act and get unceremoniously dumped on top of the enemies we had just escaped, and were promptly eaten. This left only our poor Roland with one sanity remaining alone in his attempt to escape: his final act was trying to pass a Willpower test to avoid taking horror. He drew the tentacle. Fantastic stuff.

The campaign had a couple of scenarios that we weren't wild about (Undimensioned and Unseen is a real stinker, and Essex County Express is either a blast or brutally unfair), but that finale is a doozy. I'm extremely excited for Carcosa: I've played it solo a couple of times, but I've never gotten very far with a group.