Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

bagrada posted:

Since getting interested in this game a month or so ago, I haven't been able to get this website to load. Is it down or is it just me?

I just finished grabbing the LOTR LCG sagas so I'm set for that franchise for a while, Arkham is next. Anyone have an opinion on Carcosa vs Edge of the Earth as our first main scenario? Carcosa's story looks more interesting to me, but Edge has more recognizable characters. It looks like everything is currently available from my usual haunts (aside from the novellas with the promos).

One thing I will caution about the Edge of the Earth investigators is that they're a little more advanced, deckbuilding-wise, than most of the prior investigators. Barring a few exceptions, most investigators follow a fairly standard deckbuilding formula - level 0-5 cards of their class and Neutral cards, level 0-2 cards of a secondary class. The Edge of the Earth investigators are all limited to level 0 cards of their class, and level 0-5 cards of their secondary class (only 5 level 0 cards though) and Neutrals, the idea being that they start out as one class and slowly transition to another as they level up. It's not that much more complicated, and EoTE gives you a lot of multiclass cards to help you out, but it's still something to keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
FAQ Highlights

(some of these were already known, but they're official rulings now)

- Permanents cannot be swapped out (so no using Adaptable to switch out the starter permanents)

- the bonded cards for Hallowed Mirror/Occult Lexicon/Miss Doyle now get sent back to the bonded card pile if their bonded asset leaves play

- Geared Up cards are played one at a time (so it works with Backpack)

- Searching for cards during setup does not trigger search abilities (so Stick to the Plan searches won't trigger Astounding Revelation)

- Cards that must be played 'as your first action' can't be played if they're fast/ignore action cost some other way

- Diana can activate her ability with cards in her discard pile

- if an encounter card and player card contradict each other, the encounter card takes precedence

Taboo Highlights

(not a complete list)

- Machete untaboo'd back to 0 EXP

- +2 EXP for Jeremiah Kirby and Gene Beauregard, +3 EXP for David Renfield (on account of all the doom management tech coming up the next cycle)

- Mr. Rook returned to 0 EXP, but his free trigger is now an action ability instead

- Strange Solution reduced to +1 damage instead of +2

- Black Market can be played once per round max (so no chaining Black Markets)

- Cyclopean Hammer exhausts for the +2 damage/move effect

- Eon Chart changed to granting basic actions

- Mandy must take a 50 card deck, no more choosing deck size

- Lola Hayes gains a new ability: spend an action to switch roles, does not provoke attacks of opportunity (in addition to her free trigger role change). Weakness nerfed to discard only one card from current role, instead of all.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 26, 2022

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

It's available as a dropdown on Arkhamdb.com

My group ended up not using it, but that reminds me:

What's the overall risk if one or two players in a 3 player game use the Taboo list, and one doesn't? I'll probably eventually want to start using it just as a cap on rascally shenanigans, but I want to support my friend who does their deckbuilding exclusively analog.

You're not really going to notice all that much of a difference unless the untaboo'd deck is specifically built around one of the busted combos the taboo list is trying to prevent (like using some kind of insane bless/draw engine to constantly recur A Watchful Peace and shut down encounters round after round). It'll possibly be a bit stronger but not all that much, and some cards are actually buffed by the taboo list so they'll lose out on those (like the free triggered Scroll of Secrets, which helps a lot with drawing cards/deck management for Mystics).

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

I was hoping they’d buff butterfly knives. Also, are they going to add more ways to decrease enemy stats? Right now there’s what? Withering, expose weakness, the improvised cards, and stealth? That might sound like a lot, but it really isn’t.

This one seems built for the upcoming Darrell Simmons, who can lower the difficulty of any skill test by spending evidence. As long as the enemy has a fight or evade value of 2 or less, this instantly defeats them.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
"Hyperphysical Shotcaster" is a fun name, but I miss the simplicity/punny nature of 'Evolver'.

I think the investigator I'd like to try it with first is Rita Young. She's always had the awkward situation of having a very high base stat, but without the deckbuilding to leverage it particularly well for action compression. Shotcaster should make her more viable for lower player counts.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s part of the scenario, it’s a classic horror thing. “We told the boss it was a bad idea but he went and set it up anyway, and now it’s killing people and giving us a bad reputation and we don’t know how to turn it off.”

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Stagger_Lee posted:

Thanks everyone for their help. Only half-related hypothetical: If I gave Akachi my Liquid Courage with Teamwork, and she used Spirit-Speaker on it, whose hand would it go to?

It would go back to the owner's hand if it was a legal interaction, though in this particular case it isn't. Liquid Courage uses supplies, Spirit-Speaker works only on assets that use charges. It's an easy thing to mix up since chances are you'll be using resource tokens to keep track of all 'ammo' types, but quite a lot of 'refill' cards only interact with one specific type of resource.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The auto-fail is always considered to be 'failure with a total score of 0', even after all modifiers, so playing Lucky! wouldn't do anything.

There are some other survivor cards that can protect against the autofail though, they usually work by just outright cancelling the token.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2023/7/13/the-blob-that-ate-everything-else/

Updated version of The Blob That Ate Everything, and a new investigator to go with it. Wish it wasn't print-and-play, even if I don't play the physical game as I'd like. Maybe down the line they'll release a pack of all the print-and-play cards down the line.

New investigator looks interesting if a little tricky to play, I don't think we've gotten a scenario-based investigator before. Their deckbuilding hasn't been revealed yet, I'm hoping they get increased deck size to deal with their weakness.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Kalko posted:

The fact that it's PnP and only updates an existing pack instead of us getting a new Gencon scenario speaks to some kind of production delay behind the scenes (or maybe it took longer to onboard the new lead designer, which might explain why this year's cycle is also delayed). I'm not worried about the future of the game or anything, but we're definitely in a content drought at the moment.

According to some chatter on the Mythos Busters Discord, this was one of the last projects that Maxine, the previous lead designer, worked on before leaving. I don't think there's been anything released yet that's purely the work of the new team yet. There's going to be some more news about it next week, so maybe there's slightly more to it than that.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Looks like they revealed the full deckbuilding for the slimegirl.

It's interesting, too early in the morning for me to decide if it's actually any good, but there's probably going to be a decent amount of people determined to make her work regardless.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Looking into potential synergies for Pushed Into the Limit. Obviously, it's great for situational weapons like the Enchanted Bow or Springfield, which are occasionally helpful but rarely worth the cost of actually playing/holding them, or for any big weapon/tool at all - you can even recycle signature weapons like Becky from your discard pile, though you'll still have to redraw them from your deck. Some particularly notable situations that stood out to me:

Butterfly Swords: Fight twice, assuming that exhausting is a cost that can be ignored.

Enchanted Blade: The regular/Mystic variants have empowering the blade with charges as a cost, so you should be able to empower the blade while ignoring that part.

Holy Spear: Sealing Blessed Tokens is a cost, so you should be able to ignore it to use the boosted attack with no Blessed Tokens.

Hyperphysical Shotcaster: Probably doesn't work, it doesn't have a form while in the discard pile so this will do nothing.

M1918 BAR: Also doesn't work, I think, damage is specifically defined as the ammo you spent as the cost, so if you ignore the cost then it just deals no damage.

Silas's Harpoon/Net: You can return them from the discard pile to your hand to retrieve the skill cards you spent on this action, though you'll still have to shuffle them back into your deck afterwards.

Sledgehammer (4): +5 fight and +5 damage for a single action, this one seems like it works fairly unambiguously.

Surgical Kit: Heal 3 damage from an investigator or Ally with 1 action, though I don't think you can use the reaction ability on it while doing so.

Lantern/Gravedigger's Shovel/Fire Extinguisher: This is the big one. If remove from the game/exiling is a cost that can be ignored, then you can just juggle these back and forth between your discard and deck for a testless 2 damage/2 clues/automatically discarding every non-Elite enemy engaged with you. Will probably get some clarification on whether this actually works down the line, but until that happens, no reason to assume it doesn't.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 8, 2023

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Took me a while to find where this thread went. Parallel Jim is out!

His front side is whatever, it's not super exciting but neither were his original abilities, being able to recharge non-Spell/Relic assets is handy though. It's his new deckbuilding that's a little more interesting. Mystic 0-3, Spell/Cursed 0-4, Neutral 0-5, 5 level 0 Survivor cards, and a new mechanic, the Spirit Deck.

Every turn, Jim pulls out a spooky ghost pal from the Underworld to assist him. You can't assign health or sanity to them, but they're still in play and provide any effects they have. Once you hit four or more, you have to flip it over and play a little minigame to see which ones you get to keep.

And to top it off, a new spooky ghost weakness that goes in the Spirit Deck. Pretty tough, so you'll probably want to keep an automatic evade or guaranteed damage option on hand to deal with it.

Overall, I think this is one of the most fun Parallel investigators they've done in a while. As a reminder, you can mix and match parallel front and back, so if you prefer Jim's original ability or his original deckbuilding for some reason, you can choose to stick with that too.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Another preview from about half an hour ago:

A slotless un-aloofer is nice, saves you quite a few actions on Engaging in the right scenario, shame it doesn't work on Elites. Also, you'll have to put in a bit of work to keep it recharged.

Elusive appears to be a new enemy keyword:

Elusive: If a ready enemy with the elusive keyword attacks or is attacked, after that attack resolves, that enemy immediately disengages from all investigators, moves to a connecting location (with no investigators, if able), and exhausts. This effect occurs whether the enemy was engaged with the attacking investigator or not.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not as impressed with Parallel Zoey as I was with Parallel Jim. 3 blesses for +1 damage is less efficient than Nephthys, they have to be in the bag so you can't prep them in advance by sealing them, and it's only once per round - Nathaniel gets his bonus once per phase. You also lose out on the simple but effective synergy of 'engage enemy to gain resource, exhaust cross to spend that resource for damage' so you'll have to pack more resource generation into your deck to make up for it. Maybe there'll be more bless generation tech to make up for it, but there's a maximum of ten in play and Guardians tend to prefer sealing away most of them to spend for bonuses down the line.

Advanced signature also doesn't seem to be worth taking the advanced weakness, though that's how I've felt about most of the advanced sig/weaknesses released so far, so nothing new there.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Thinking about it, the Myconid is going to be helpful if you're doing gimmick 'command center' Seeker builds where you just camp on a low shroud location and do remote investigates with In The Know/Pocket Telescope etc. Toss up a Barricade, occasionally do a pointless Investigate on your current location to build up Growth, and cancel every treachery that comes your way with the Myconid.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Not a lot of Parley events at the moment. There's Persuasion and Existential Riddle (1) (Seeker), Motivational Speech and Interrogate (Guardian), String of Curses and Power Word (0-5) (Mystic). The new ones we know of in Hemlock Vale are Stall for Time (Survivor), False Surrender and Grift (Rogue).

The most immediately useful combo I can see at the moment is being able to double-tap any non-Elite enemy to instantly defeat it with String of Curses, but I'm sure there's others.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The Drawn to the Flame podcast previewed the new Mystic investigator for Hemlock Vale yesterday:

As a reminder, Elusive is 'after this enemy attacks/is attacked, it disengages from all investigators, moves to a connecting location and exhausts'.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Ubik_Lives posted:

It amuses me that he is dabbling in the occult. Nothing serious, just a bit of a hobby for him.

Maybe we'll be getting more support for that in Hemlock Vale, but for now Occult level 0 seems to be there purely so that he can take the untranslated Cryptic Grimoire and research it, otherwise he'd have no way to take the higher-level versions (though it's still debatable whether he should).

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I like how Eldritch Horror handled defeated investigators. If your investigator is defeated, you still pick a new one, but the defeated one keeps all their stuff and remains on the board as a game piece. Any other investigator (including your new one) who goes to that location can then try to pass a check to claim their stuff. It's not much, but it's better than how the card game handles it, where you just get nothing.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I'm looking forwards to building a Joe Diamond deck around all the new cards in Hemlock Vale. He can pick up all the fancy new Science tools and cards, and he benefits from the lower-level Guardian Tool support cards. A lot of the events are Insight-traited too, so they can go into his Hunch deck.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Impermanent posted:

Hand eye coordination + big sledgehammer = ker blam

Apparently someone asked the developers about this, and they clarified that Hand-Eye Coordination is meant to shave off only a single action - no cheesing Sledgehammer or any other multi-action cost weapon/tool with it. It's possible there may be a higher level version that ignores all costs, though.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, it's a level 0 Survivor card, though the trade-off there is that it shuffles the card you use from your discard back into your deck, so if you want to cheese it you have to dig the Sledgehammer out of your deck and toss it back in the discard again.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Fresh new spoilers:

Vamp is a potentially interesting one. Being able to drop a tough fight/evade test to a Parley (3) is handy and can shut down quite a few of the Rogue unique weaknesses, and the sheer versatility of it means you'll usually be able to find at least some use for it. It is, admittedly, a little funny to think about how exactly it works flavor-wise. You seduce the enemy through a display of raw physical might so impressive it deals them actual damage?

Not as impressed with Providential, 2xp for a one-time conditional Bless booster is a tough call, though maybe Survivors could spare the XP since they don't have much else to spend it on.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Big day for previews/leaks, apparently.

Persistence seems pretty solid and a good Minh card, not sure how to feel about the rest, Pelt Shipment looks fun but hard to work with, though I suppose you can always hope to just Resourceful it before the scenario ends.

Next up, a couple of higher-level Parley cards for once. Stir the Pot seems questionable for 5 XP, but Snitch seems pretty solid for 2.

And finally Hank Samson's deckbuilding, aka 'We Have Calvin At Home'.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Persistence doesn't shuffle itself back into your deck when committed from your hand, only from your discard, so you can just commit it normally to any skill test to get it into your discard. Pretty handy for Silas, he can commit it from discard and then return it to hand if he doesn't need the boost/fails regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Quick list of the cards Survival Technique can retrieve:

Ambush
Barricade (both levels)
Breach the Door
Hiding Spot
Lure (both levels)
Makeshift Trap
Map the Area
Open Gate
Pitchfork
Shortcut
Shrine of the Moirai
Snare Trap
The Skeleton Key
Under Surveillance

Skeleton Key is real nice (though I’ve always felt that card was better than most people give it credit for), and being able to recycle Barricades and Breach the Doors can be handy. Shrine of the Moirai could be particularly interesting, though Survivors could already recur it without too much issue anyway.

Strong-Armed seems nice for Silas - he can commit it, reroll the token with it if he doesn’t like it, then return it to hand. He doesn’t get the +1 damage from it that way though.