Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Would love to see the math you two are working with. Also you can only have 4 sled dogs in a deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Ok thanks. Could you use his ability multiple times for a single test?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I love when someone, in an attempt to make an explanation simpler, starts off with "think like a quantum state".

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Summoned Servitor is cool but I don't think it ever ends up being worth the xp cost on its own. At 0 xp it does literally nothing but destroy one of your assets for 2 resources. It's a bit better with the new investigator as it lets you discard (or bounce at another 3xp) a doomed asset you've already gotten value from. I think the sweet spot is at 10 xp, where it uses either an ally or mystic slot and gives you 2 extra actions to: use it as a taxi, evade, or investigate.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

No way, these cards would be unusable if that were the case. It would make Summoned Servitor's final upgrade the ultimate noob trap: spend 5 xp to make your card do nothing, twice, and permanently block your ability to make it do anything useful.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

My fun with dilemma cards will not be stopped by a measly rulebook.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It seems alright, took me more than a few rereads to get a decent understanding of what it does though.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

2 resources seems like too much for what it does. I feel like it could be a permanent with a 1 or 2 xp cost.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

This guy just seems strong as hell

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Well that's going straight into my Kane deck (with the trait "ally", of course).

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think it's a good card for starting decks, something you quickly drop as you gain xp though.

e: is there any red/purple investigators that would want extra arcane slots and discard?

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 2, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

2 new dilemma cards for survivor. One of them (0xp) adds +1 to two skills of your choice and -1 to the others. The other (1xp) makes you pick one of the top 3 cards in the encounter deck to draw and lets any investigator pick up a clue from any location.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 2, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Doing Trauma also has the knock-on silver lining of ensuring other players start the game with some damage he can immediately heal to hand out On The Mends.

Intentionally loving up surgeries so I have an excuse to prescribe painkillers for the rest of the campaign.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Do you think the wounded bystander is the same guy every time? Just some unfortunate bastard following you into the depths of hell and getting eviscerated over and over?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Remember this ceremonial sickle? New card is a 4xp version.

Seems like a pretty steep xp cost for what you get. A +2 skill value on the exhaust attack and the 2nd option now removes all doom on it and readies the sickle. And another fight icon I guess.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Reddit reveal:

I guess it's nice to have a way to make healing useful even if you're at or near full health.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Summoning my stand, which has the ability to use a shotgun.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

The Man Who Pulls the Trigger (Triggerman?) seems just bad. Another Rogue way to buy actions with cash, which is also a combo. A lot of XP and a lot of resource cost for only 1 sanity soak. If you play 3 use illicit gun and use it thrice you end up paying 7 for 3x 1 extra action per turn. More expensive and less flexible than Leo de Luca. Also terrible if you need to shoot multiple times a turn. Then once the gun is empty the dude becomes useless. The only upside is that it also basically gives an extra handslot. Seems best with Lockpicks? But so very expensive.

They also use the item at a base stat level of 4, so I think they exist for rogues/Kane (lets be real here, pretty much entirely for Kane) to use items they normally wouldn't bother with due to a low base stat level.

e: since you don't pay for the weapon itself you can also use this to effectively discount the initial cost of a .45 thompson, while also keeping your hands free.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 12, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Hopefully the official translation will be more clear on that but I read it as only removing the action from the cost, rather than action + ammo/supply/whatever.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

New card from https://obscurestudies.com/2022/09/12/the-scarlet-keys-preview-embezzled-treasure/

Obviously good for the rogue decks that go all in on resource generation, decent for other decks I think. Resources are most valuable at the start of a scenario, while any you have at the end are worthless. Of course, the card does nothing to help you during the scenario you play it, so I'm not sure if I would play it in campaigns with a difficult first scenario. I wouldn't bother running more than one copy of this. Works best in a Preston Fairmont deck, since you can stash resources from the inheritance when you don't have the spare action to collect it for yourself.

It's also interesting that you can give the extra starting resources to other investigators instead.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 12, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

HidaO-Win posted:

Sadly as its illicit Preston won’t have anything to do with it, as a person born to wealth, he doesn’t understand how important embezzlement is to maintaining it.

oh right, dang.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Seems alright.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

This might as well just cost 3 actions.e: I guess near the end of a scenario you might be willing to pay resources instead but by then you're more likely to just eat the damage and not bother with it.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 16, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

That is a really big envelope.

It's a little big but that mobster has extremely tiny hands.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I would think it was to make it less appealing to the investigators with low test scores, but who is bad at book and also gets level 5 seeker cards?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

While the money sink hole isn't endless it is pretty deep. It's pretty good though so it's not the worst financial decision to make. With the expansion boxes/packs, keep in mind that each cycle tells a full story so (IMO) it's best to get a complete cycle before moving on to another, rather than grabbing individual packs for specific cards.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Translations here: https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/xmscv5/all_remaining_unrevealed_scarlet_keys_player/

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I've tried replaying the original campaign with only core cards a few times and good god this 2nd scenario is killing me every time. I've tried 3 times with different decks and have yet to kill more than 1 special cultist. I feel like I need a perfect mulligan just to have a chance against this poo poo. In the last game I had 5 doom on cultists by turn 3.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

How does the new campaign format work, storage wise? Do the campaign boxes have dividers and fitted compartments like the Return To boxes?

ie, is there a benefit in terms of organization and setup to buying the Return To box in advance, or is it a non-issue in the new format?

The campaign boxes don't come with dividers but they do section off enough to fit all the campaign cards that uses about 20% of the space. I just cut up some index cards to use as dividers.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

What the sweet spot is depends on so many factors that I don't think you can give a standard answer beyond "get the stats you use most often as high as you can without spending actions taking resources".

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think she's pretty bad at 0xp, and her ability basically forces you to spend your first 6xp on Sin Eater, but after that she should be good.

e: I think the way to go is to build around Living Ink. Spectral Razor, Read the Signs, and Ethereal Form are all great cards for her since they add willpower rather than replace the original skill, and once you get Living Ink boosting multiple skills they all get pretty crazy. Use her ability to cheat out cards like Scroll of Prophecies, Scrying Mirror, and St. Hubert's Key. Pack a couple Moonlight Rituals for obvious reasons. Use the resources you save with her ability to play events or dump it into Arcane Studies

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 17, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

You choose one of the two options. In order to remove the doom with their effects, you have to select that option at the start of a test, and then only get the benefit if you meet the condition after the test.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I've been building an Amina deck all day, and I think I've figured out what I want at 0xp and am narrowing down what I'd want to spend xp on. Ace of Rods is a perfect card for her, 3 cost asset that can immediately remove itself for a powerful effect (gain an extra action and +2 to all skills for the rest of the turn). The usual tarot effect where it plays itself if in your opening hand is just a nice bonus rather than an important part of the build.

Here's what I've got so far: (XP cards I'm considering are in the side deck https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2456503)
Asset (14)
Hand
2x Dowsing Rod
2x Scroll of Prophecies
2x Scrying Mirror
Accessory
2x St. Hubert's Key
Body
2x Living Ink
Ally
2x David Renfield
Other
2x Arcane Studies
Event (14)
2x Delve Too Deep
2x Ethereal Form
2x Moonlight Ritual
2x Read the Signs
2x Spectral Razor
2x Ward of Protection
1x Word of Weal
1x Word of Woe
Skill (4)
2x Perception
2x Promise of Power
Treachery (2)
1x Day of Reckoning
1x Deafening Silence

Not bothering with the sickle or the evade items because I want to focus on investigating and using the scroll and scrying mirror. Interested in people's thoughts on what I've got so far.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

Soak may be a problem with only David, who sometimes you have to jettison from play earlier than expected.

Good point, maybe I should swap out Living Ink until there's experience to spare on it and put in Deny Existence.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

The +2 is only for the one action. The real magic trick would be to load it up with doom first before removing it from play.

I can see how it could be read either way, but I'm gonna stick with the reading that doesn't make it an unexpected courage that costs 3 resources and 1 xp.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Is the android stuff wild speculation or did something happen? I don't care about it myself but my friend was completely in on Netrunner and was pretty upset when it died.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Played the Blob that Ate Everything as Charlie Kane Guardian/Rogue(me) and Darrel Simmons (my friend). We were just testing the decks we were going to start the Scarlet Keys with so rather than edit our decks for the standalone scenario we just dumped xp into the customizable cards we already included. The scenario was very fun! It spawns a lot of enemies, and killing them directly contributes to the win condition but you're also not forced to go after them, had some interesting & experimental mechanics that (mostly) work, and a lot of interesting choices to make.

I struggled a lot to reliably kill enemies even with an ideal opening hand, though I also had a lot of bad luck on my token draws (getting the one -5 when I swing at +4, getting the auto-fail multiple times when I swing at +5). Runic Axe is really strong with just the +1 charge a turn upgrade. Friends in Low Places didn't hit either of the times I used it (mostly because I drew all but 1 ally by the time I drew both copies of it) but it was still pretty helpful with the upgrade that lets you choose what order to put the cards back. I recommend doing everything in your power to dig for Bonnie Walsh in any game you play as Kane because she is just insane.

My friend was able to freely get any clue on the board, and built a massive horde of evidence on his camera on accident because he just didn't need to use it, although the scenario is pretty heavy on enemies and treacheries that stick around so evidence was easy to come by. He didn't take much setup time either, only assets I saw him play were the Pocket Multi-Tools.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think so. My upgrades did a lot to help me but my friend's spent xp didn't really come into play. I also had a few dead cards partly because I didn't build for the scenario (handcuffs don't do poo poo against a blob) and because I drew almost all of my allies really early. We did end up winning with about 5 doom to spare and very little damage on either of us. Then again we definitely messed up some rules in a way they benefited us.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think it's a bit unfair to say they just weren't doing well. It sounds like they didn't know about Ancient Evils before they drew 3 copies to run out the clock on them. If you don't know that's in there, it's reasonable to take your time and prepare for the big fight at the end rather than rush into it to try to end the scenario.

Ancient Evils is one of the worst encounter cards to be unprepared for in the game. There's not much you can do about it either but play faster, or cancel it with Ward of Protection.

tofes posted:

We played the first scenario of the introductory campaign with 4 players tonight but lost in the final act. I thought we were doing pretty well but we pulled three ancient evils off the encounter deck in a row which advanced the final agenda on what was almost assuredly going to be our last turn of the game. I thought we had played pretty well, our investigators had taken some damage but were prepared to finish off the boss and it felt like we just got screwed by some poor card draw. This seems like the game that defeat can be snatched from the jaws of victory fairly often, am I wrong?

Yeah this game loves to toss out some big surprise challenge right at the end of a scenario but by then you should be prepared for it, and if you aren't then it's ok because losing a scenario almost never means losing the campaign if you're not in the final scenario. Granted, losing usually means you get some disadvantage later on or don't collect as much xp as you'd like, but most campaigns are built around the idea that you will fail a scenario or two along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I've only played 3 of the scenarios (London, Marrakesh and Istanbul), 2 were of a manageable size and 1 was large like EOTE scenarios.