Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Macintosh HD posted:

I have the original core set. Is there any compelling reason to buy the revised one instead of a second core set? I know it comes with a bag and a better insert and little things like that, but none of that seems necessary for me.

There are a couple of additional cards thrown in (eg charisma, lockpicks lvl1), but they can be acquired in other sets

The biggest difference is that it comes with 2 copies of every card. So if you have two copies of the original core set there’s no reason to get it. Otherwise you probably wanna get another copy of either core set so your decks can be bit more consistent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Seems like an odd choice since it’ll probably be years before the new format catches up with all releases

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

It really seems that you're just meant to lose Act 3 of NOTZ, the only time I could scrape a combat win was when I was hitting with Cyclopean Hammer at +11

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Buying another copy of the core set cause I lost 1 copy of the holy rosary. I could just use my printer and one of the 11 copies of knife to proxy it buuuut I want the card.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

For people who already got to try Scarlet Keys: are the maps in it smaller than eote? I liked eote but I feel like I never want to replay it because of the location set up. Most of the scenarios outside of ice and death could've been 2 or 3 times smaller imo

I think the amount of reading you had to do was crazy too, but it's something that I really enjoy when playing solo and not at all when I have to play with a group (thank god for the arkham cards app)

KPC_Mammon posted:

It is worth it for the extra rats so you can have campaigns ready to go

That's true. Having extra unexpected courages and other basic skills is awesome too

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

They are absolutely smaller, and thank the Elder Gods. I can't replay EotE until I get a bigger table.

By reading do you mean scenario rules or story? Because there's a lot more of both than usual. The larger, bound campaign guide gives them more space for all that, and scenario setup is more complex than average. I will say it's worth it. Gameplay is smooth once you get past setup, and I loved meeting all the characters.

I was mostly just thinking of the amount of branching conversations you have in EotE. It was a bit hard to get the table on board with reading through it, even though I really enjoy the choose your own adventure format. Either way, shouldn't be as big of a problem now that I got app narration. Excited to try scarlet keys out!

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Darrel is super fun but he seems a bit too strong. I was doing a true survivor/gumption carcosa run 2 handed and I was basically guaranteed to take 2-3 testless clues on every investigation. Although I guess the problem here is the survivor recursion package

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s one of those things that seems obvious, right? I should be able to go from level 2 card to level 4 of the same thing for 2XP. But at some point I looked it up and came away with, no, you need to pay the full cost of any card, and I have just been confidently resolute on that rule since. Goddamn it.

When purchasing a higher level version of a card with the same title, the investigator may choose to "upgrade" that card by paying only the difference in experience (to a minimum of 1) between the two cards and removing the lower level version of the card from his or her deck.

It should be 2XP? Or am I misreading something here

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Impermanent posted:

how are you supposed to use the taboo stuff and whatever in a physical game. do they print new versions of the cards or something

No you just have to memorize it

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

finished our first run of scarlet keys by spending way too much time on fortune and folly and then bumbling around the world map missing most missions. Had a good time overall except we pulled 5 ancient evils in the final mission,so we just house ruled one of them to be a resurgent evil to avoid a really feelsbad ending to a campaign

Don't think Id ever replay it with a group because of the huge amount of non gameplay downtime but I'm looking forward to playing through it alone. Some of the story assets we found let us set up an infinitely recharging pendant of the queen which was fun but busted

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Also our fighter cut every weapon in their deck except for runic axe and then it got discarded with the hollow encounter set which was really funny. It was still trivializing the game though

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

New card spoiler from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtsaoqcFg8o

Unlimited +2 investigate in an accessory slot seems pretty strong. Getting an extra clue is just gravy. I havent played a lot with curse so I'm not entirely sure how to evaluate this

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Anyone got their copy of hemlock in canada? My 401 copy still hasnt moved

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

My groups scarlet key experience was going in blind, missing half of the scenarios because we lost a lot of time on event locations and then still beating up the final boss even though we had no idea who any of the characters were.

Reading other people’s experiences makes me want to try it again but I really feel like you need a guide, and at that point it might as well be a regular campaign and drop the gimmick. Might run the ones we missed as standalones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Yeah first time we played blob we hit that ending and it really soured us on it. We just decided to ignore it

Had a lot of fun with it when we came back more prepared though. Id say its the most fun one for mid level decks, hotel can be a bit too easy