Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Haven't got to play this one yet, but regarding Dunwich Legacy: should I just play the vanilla version of it first, or does the Return to -box make it a better experience from the get-go?

I got the new core set cheaply second hand and it included the old Dunwich expansion box, so I'm going to buy the rest of the cycle anyway, just wondered should I A) bother with the Return to -box at all, or B) buy and use it straight away.

I'm sure I'll have a blast with the game, but there is so much stuff about how parts of the original Dunwich are kinda bad, that I'm somewhat hesitant with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Thanks for the answers! I propably can't resist the Return to Dunwich for the great way to store the campaign anyway, so maybe I'll get it straight away. They have those still in stores here.

I don't expect to play the campaign that many times overall, so the added value of seeing the changes won't be that great.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
My group is currently halfway through Dunwich (Jacqueline, Ashcan & Zoey) and I'm already setting my sights to the next campaign, Carcosa.

Would a trio of Winifred, Stella & Rex be a good group for that? I don't mean in a min/max-sense, but whether Winifred is playable or any fun with Willpower 1? Or if that trio doesn't have enough combat abilities? I haven't found any good info about the challenges of Carcosa.

I own the revised Core, full Dunwich-cycle and Stella, Winifred & Jacqueline decks, and if possible, would like to not buy more player cards at this time.

Another group of characters I was thinking, would be Jenny, Agnes & Daisy. Are they any better suited for Carcosa?

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Thanks! That's a fine level of spoilers, no worries. I think I'll settle for Rex and Agnes, and either Stella or Winifred.

Also finally bought a copy of Eldritch Horror, so I can play that with another group that I see less often, with which Arkham is not an option. Always a joy to play Eldritch.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Played Murder at the Excelsior Hotel tonight with Jacqueline, Ashcan and Zoey. It was great!

It started pretty easy, but at around halfway through one of the police officers and two or three hotel guests became possessed, and me as Jacqueline spent three full turns trying to make an evade check against a single guest, without success. Small wonder that we got our party out of that mess with our awful evade skills. Dark Horse-Ashcan did some heavy lifting.

In the end the culprit was a ghost that I blasted with Azure Flame, no sweat. In the end it had 1hp left, and our party maniac, Zoey, finally got to do the thing they always talk about : use a Dynamite Blast on the ghost, with all the investigators on the same location.

So it very literally ended with a bang and we had a blast! drat this game rules hard.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Are there a lot of Hidden treacheries In Path To Carcosa? A younger player is maybe joining our playgroup and I'm afraid if they'll be overwhelmed by cards that they cannot ask about from other players. It might also be possible for us to play Forgotten Age instead, but I'd prefer Carcosa given that the Hidden keyword won't make it awkward.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Anonymous Robot posted:

Honestly, the peril/hidden cards in Carcosa are mostly a thematic flourish. The idea of them is that they create uncertainty and discord in the party by incentivizing or forcing players to take sub-optimal actions or attack other investigators, but they don’t really achieve that in reality. If they’d hamper the enjoyment of one of the players, just help them with them. It’s not going to disrupt the function of the game at all.

Thanks! I was mostly worried if there is a great important traitor mechanic or something that just doesn't work if one player doesn't understand the card and accidentally spoils it by asking what a card does.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Got our first proper rear end-whooping in Arkham today, as we played 4-player Echoes of the Past.

The three Seekers that spawn at the start of the scenario just caused the amount of Doom to explode constantly and then we kept getting Acolytes, Fanatics and Wizards from the Encounter deck. We never had the time to rush to kill the Seekers and the Chaos bag symbols were just brutal (each -4, at minimum). The scenario ended in about 6 turns as the final agenda triggered.

So, I was surprised to learn that this scenario is usually regarded as very easy. With four players and bad luck it just escalated uncontrollably from the start. I liked the idea of this scenario, but the starting enemies on the map just made it miserable.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
I can see it being super easy if you can just sweep the initial cultists in a couple of turns.

Our main fighter (Roland) just couldn't finish this one Seeker due to bad Chaos tokens and the effect that gives them more fight according to their Doom. Our second fighter (Agnes) got stuck to the first floor dealing with enemies from the Encounter deck. The 3 hp and Aloof on the Seekers was brutal since we underperformed so badly.

This scenario was still better, in my opinion, than Dunwich's Undimensioned & Unseen, which was just unfun.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Dang, Circle Undone Investigator box was just released. I thought it would come out in the fall at the earliest. Guess I'll just burn a hundo for it + Forgotten Age Investigator box.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Played Black Stars Rise the other night and everyone had a blast. Thought is was one of the best scenarios so far (Dunwich + Excelsior).

It had a real sense of Grand Adventure with the two-part exploration phase and players had (some what false) agency with Doom distripution. Granted, the Encounter deck was kinda lenient (never drew the Tidal Horrors), but it was nice to have a kinda forgiving long scenario in which all the players could do what they excell at. Big fan of this one!

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Golden Bee posted:

That scenario so bad I either play the completely revised version or skip it.

What is the completely revised version? Return to Dunwich?

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

thebardyspoon posted:

I assume they’re talking about the fan made one that changes it quite substantially, I don’t think the return to changes it much.

I was just thinking that how bad is the original, if Return to.. would be considered a massive improvement. I have only played the Return to -version, and it did not spark joy.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
We're about to start a (Return to) Forgotten Age campaign with 4 players. Are the supplies shared or tied to an investigator?

Should everyone for example buy their own medicines, or is it viable that the group has a few of those between them.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

LifeLynx posted:

They're not shared. I think the rule of thumb was to buy roughly one medicine per two players. But with the Return I think you get more resources to get more supplies.

So with two players both would buy one medicine each?

I'm just asking since with four players each investigator only gets 4 supply points at the start, and if everyone buys medicine and food (which the campaign guide suggests) there is not much else to buy.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

LifeLynx posted:

No, one medicine. It's been a while. If you're not opposed to spoilers, I'd check https://derbk.com/ancientevils/best-laid-plans-the-forgotten-age/, specifically the Supplies section.

Yeah that's what I figured, thanks!

Thus just wasn't laid out in the rules at all and I wanted to check.

E. Actually the thing that puzzles me, is that if two players have a single medicine, what happens if the wrong player has it when it is needed? I.E. can the party "share" some supplies in that regard. I'm just worried that we screw something up with them, as the game doesn't really tell how they are implemented at the start. Of that makes sense.

High Tension Wire fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 19, 2023

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Orange Devil posted:

Between scenarios supplies are checked as a group.

Except if you specifically designate the wrong person to do something in the story and they don't have supplies, but those are pretty obvious.

Thanks! This is just the info that the campaign book should've had.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Irony.or.Death posted:

Also: does the OP advice about investigator starter decks hold/best campaigns hold? They seem to be more available these days so I'm halfway to just buying everything I can find that's part of some sort of sale this month.

Jacqueline Fine and Winnifed Habbamock decks absolutely add plenty a useful cards for their classes. The other three maybe less so, but they are very worthy purchases nevertheless imho.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
I also played it back when it was on early access. Combat was very confusing and it was anti-climatic to beat the main monster by randomly smashing attacks.

Cool art and might be a total beast novadays! Didn't really feel like an Arkham-experience, more like an odd jrpg with jumpscares.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

thebardyspoon posted:

That definitely sounds like Arkham Second Edition to me tbh.

Lol, fair enough.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Golden Bee posted:

Not really, he can run delay the inevitable. It’s Winifred who just won’t mesh with that campaign.

Yeah Winifred in Dunwhich is just about the worst thing.

But as others have said, Willpower and the ability to get Clues is super great. Also you need Combat as evading is not super helpful most of the time in Dunwhich. Someone like Zoey is great here.

Edit. And if at all possible, consider getting the Return to... -box and play with it, as they no longer print it.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
My 3p group went through Dunwhich with only Ashcan gathering clues (and once in a blue moon Jaqcueline Fine helped with clue-gathering-spells) and it worked fine. We had just the core, Dunwhich & starter packs. It might be hard to see at first how you can get through scenarios without garhering clues en masse constantly, but it can be done.

And seconding that you want the mystic/survivor/rogue starter decks, they are great. Edit. You already have them, great!
E2. Can't read at all, apparently, you meant the Dunwhich investigators.

High Tension Wire fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 18, 2024

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

RattiRatto posted:

One additional one: is it just the Night of the Zealot and Dunwitch or is evade based party not that viable? As there are scenarios where you end up with multiple hunters enemy and you end up spending way more actions evading than outright killing the monster if you had the streaght

Just those, pretty much. Dunwhich loves it's Hunters, but Carcosa for example is perfectly evadable campaign*. Also Dunwhich punishes low Willpower a lot (+Beyond the Veil makes Wini a persona non grata).

Also, don't feel like you have to buy player cards in some sort of order per release date. Different investigator expansions offer different things. The Dunwhich expansion and the starter investigators (survivor/mystic/rogue being the best) are great starting point.

*as in evaded monsters usually don't immediately follow you. You still usually want to get rid of some of them permanently one way or the other.

High Tension Wire fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 18, 2024

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
If you want to get an idea what player cards each expansion has, I strongly suggest giving the articles (Inspector Expansions Reviews) at Ancient Evils a read! There are very thorough card-by-card analysis of everything as well as overall impressions, which helps you decide what to buy next.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Excelsior Hotel is great and very replayable! Apparently Blob is also very good, if hard. I don't know how the Venice one has aged, but Rougarou is pretty rough to play novadays.

Labyrinth of Lunacy is for Cons. I think one poster here played Fortune and Folly (the newest one) and said it was way too long to play.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Wallet posted:

I played everything this way the first time through and enjoyed it all. I suppose being familiar with all the cards you can't have could be a bummer.

Yeah, the game has always been fun and playable. Getting used to some newer cards and then not playing with them might be frustrating, but not the fault of the game per se.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
You can get great wooden player boards from Ali and Etsy, if you want to ditch tokens for nice and simple trackers.

For path trackers I bought small generic flat wooden tokens and put one-way arrows to one side with a marker and two-way arrows to the other. Work great and don't take almost any table space.