Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Myself and 2 others have been playing this occasionally are and enjoying it quite a bit. So far we just have the revised core, The Blob That Ate Everything, and Murder at the Excelsior Hotel. We played through the core set campaign once, and just restarted it with the plan of weaving in both of the scenario packs in between the main campaign scenarios. After we finished The Gathering we went to do the Blob That Ate Everything and it seemed really cool even though we lost horribly and the entire universe was devoured. Really neat to see the creativity they can push with this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

I'm thinking it's time to expand my Arkham collection a bit. I just have the revised base set, the blob, and the hotel. I'm thinking about getting the Edge of the Earth set, but any reason I should go for Carcosa, Dunwich, or wait for Scarlet Keys instead? Also good be interested in some of the standalone characters if any are fun.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Omnicrom posted:

A reason to consider getting Dunwich and Carcosa is that both of those sets were early enough in the lifespan of the game to provide what you might consider "staple" cards. When I actually go back and look it is actually kind of amazing how many cards I would consider baseline came out months after the initial release in Dunwich or Carcosa. Some of them were folded into the Revised Core Set which is nice, but still...

Edge of the Earth is also a really good pickup because it has a lot of very powerful and very versatile multiclass cards. The Scarlet Keys also has a lot of strong cards, obviously, (many of the customizable cards are very nice), but they tend to be a little bit more specialized than what you get from Dunwich/Carcosa. I would tentatively say you probably would get more across the board picking those up.

As for the investigator decks, Stella and Winnifred are both fantastically fun characters in their own ways, but all the decks have good cards for the given class. Guardian is perhaps least served because Nathaniel is a rather specialized character, but if you're looking for a quick way to get a lot of options for one of the factions they do excellently.

LifeLynx posted:

I'd 100% go for the Dunwich investigator box and the Carcosa campaign box. Dunwich has player cards that you won't know how you played without, while Carcosa has good deck fillers for the most part. Dunwich's campaign hasn't aged well and is real stingy on XP, while Carcosa's is tied for Edge of the Earth for my favorite gameplay and easily first place story-wise.

Thanks for this. After posting last night I did some more searching and it does seem like Dunwich is probably a good next step. Interesting about doing Dunwich investigators and Carcosa campaign though, I never would have thought about that since I kind of like the thematic pairing that occurs with matched sets but I will think about doing this! I think interesting scenarios and campaigns is the most important thing for my group. We're not huge into the deck construction part and will probably mostly follow guides but I also like having more options than just in the core set.