Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
My group played through Hemlock this weekend on normal difficulty. We ran Tommy, Amanda, and I was on Kohaku. Tommy and I were blind, and Amanda had played it once before and for the most part kept us in the dark, but made some deckbuilding decisions that trivialized a couple of late campaign mechanics.

And to be honest, thank goodness. The mechanic of the first part of the final scenario is extremely unfun on investigators who build their decks around the abilities on their character sheet, and were Amanda not able to consistently succeed by +15 or more, we'd have never made it through in time to do anything in the final act. It's funny because we had explicitly criticized a fan campaign we playtested a few scenarios of for doing exactly this but only for a single turn at a time (using a treachery).

As for the scenario that there has been much discussion of, the longest night we are firmly in the "never playing this again" camp, despite perfecting it. By about turn 7 I had crossed out the name of the act and retitled it "the longest most boring scenario" and we more or less declared victory a turn and a half early because there were no way for enemies to get to the center anymore. Tommy and I both had lots of trickle ping damage we could do to the one damage at a time enemies, and a well timed storm of spirits cleared out a group of aloof enemies, so ultimately no enemies entered the barn because Amanda was extremely mobile and able to pull up clues and set up barriers and traps and decoys very efficiently.

Other random thoughts: We liked the morning town phases a lot as a fun way to power up and set up your starting hand before getting to the meat of the day. We did the Mines, the Caves, and the House as our three scenarios in that order. I think I liked the house the best with the two alternative ways to win the scenario. I think the Mines are very challenging to get both the item and rescue the person. On day two, with all of the experience gain from the town we earned 17 experience that day (and we missed one in the scenario) which is just an insane number.... but whenever I play a mystic I always run delves because I have no self control, so I will admit I was juicing the team a little bit. That said I think this is the earliest I have cut them from my deck in a campaign. One funny outcome of the insane amount of experience is that by the end of the campaign we were really reaching about what to add to improve our decks, to the point where I grabbed Charisma and Ikiaq solely to take Amanda's self centered weakness out of play because the deck got built to cycle insanely quickly and we could never get rid of it once the engine got going.

As for Kohaku, I feel like it takes a lot of effort on him to do a lot of things other mystics can just do. Even with the team all running Tempt Fates, I felt like the 4th actions were more or less just breaking even with things other mystics can do more consistently, including if they want to play a curse package. Managing the bless/curse bag would have been extremely tedious had we been playing IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

I was making use of those as well, and guaranteed successes off the back of ancient covenant were extremely strong... but I felt like if I wanted to do that, I can do it with Jaqueline much more efficiently and consistently.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

I was using Key of Solomon in his other hand, and I think that's the stronger one to start with (though the intro missions do make it pretty easy to make sure you get both - one in play, one in hand, though not guaranteed).