Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Finally got around to finishing making (somewhat sloppy) boxes/dividers for all of the campaign cards so I can stick them in a closet somewhere. :toot:

(The five missing boxes are downstairs because we're half way through Scarlet Keys. Also I know one of the Dunwich dividers has the wrong scenario name and I don't care enough to fix it.)

xK1 posted:

I'll be playing the new one, it's an "enhanced" version of The Blob that Ate Everything, so I guess what would work well in that one (even though I'm sure there will be some differences)?
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2023/7/13/the-blob-that-ate-everything-else/

I've never played the original one in Epic mode so I'm not sure how much it changes, and obviously I have no idea what changes they've made for the update, but playing it normally evasion is kind of poo poo, and movement is very helpful. There's a couple of annoying blobs that make any melee card you use to attack them get devoured, so having someone who can kill things with something else is good. You can get in a lot more damage on the blob itself if you can either do a lot of damage in one attack or you can deal with a high test difficulty.

I'd probably just play whatever you think is fun, though. The original has never felt like one of the harder side scenarios to me.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

Spare sleeve and Sharpie. Inner sleeves work really good for this, but I wouldn't go buy a pack just for that. I have extras from Magic decks.

Yep, I just use a sleeve and a fine point sharpie. If you care about the sleeve it's easy enough to wash off after.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kalko posted:

Here's the XP version of the Ravenous Myconid:

Also, Parallel Zoey was released. I can't get into these parallel investigators because I can't do P&P (it's a brain thing). Maybe if they make an official pack with them one day.

It would be nice if they actually printed them. There must be some reason they pulled the agreement they had with Gamezenter.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I've got my player cards in binders like everyone else although I just use three bigger ones.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Are your separators an easily linkable/buyable thing or did you just cut your own? I'm planning to go a similar route but am sick to death of estimating measurements for various storage options and want something at least slightly nicer than I could carve out of construction paper, so if you've already done the research on what fits well in the gamegenic boxes I'd love to steal your notes.

I made my own and just printed them on a laser printer on heavy paper and laminated them, but there were a bunch of sets on BGG when I looked.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

We just finished most of a first run of Hemlock Vale over the weekend. It landed a lot better than Scarlet keys on almost every level for us. The scenarios we saw were on the whole diverse and well executed (though almost every one ends with a high health boss enemy for some reason).

Looking forward to a second run where everyone doesn't hate us.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Nephthys posted:

I recommend getting the campaigns in release order. The campaigns get more complex, difficult and build off each other as they go so going through them as released is what I would consider the best experience.

Carcosa is also generally considered one of the best campaigns.

This is what I did and I think it worked out well (I started probably a couple years ago now); I wouldn't have appreciated a lot of what was going on as much as I did if I played Edge of the Earth before Carcosa or whatever. I also think I got a lot more value out of the player card expansions by only adding them to my collection when I started the campaign they were originally released with.

RattiRatto posted:

Essentially - what am I missing? Am I just bad at the game (I am running standard difficulty) or am I just missing some cards from future cicles? Or something else?
Fair warning: I am enjoying very much this game, just feeling that the only way to try to "win" is using a couple of classes.

In any duo (or any group of any size) you have to have the ability to fight stuff and the ability to get clues; everything else is optional. You can distribute those responsibilities in any way you want and end up with a viable party; Guardian/Seeker is all the way at one end of the continuum with those responsibilities almost fully divided, but our first run of Carcosa was with Jenny and Akachi (with no cards past Carcosa in the collection) and we had a good time. There's definitely some efficiency loss from both characters having to focus on both things, but that's balanced out by the efficiency you lose from your guardian being dead weight in a scenario (or scenario phase) that leans heavily on investigating, or your seeker for fighting.

Rogues do kind of suck until you're four or five campaigns in, though.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 20, 2024

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Tevery Best posted:

Anybody got any opinions on the side scenarios? I remember some not being good outside a con setting, is that accurate? Does it apply to the later ones as well?

The Labyrinths of Lunacy is basically only for a con setting and even then it seems like hot garbage; it can't be run as a side scenario in a campaign. I've enjoyed all of the other ones, though Rougarou and Carnevale are a bit short/simple. I think a lot of people also had complaints about Machinations Through Time; the concept is neat but it's convoluted in a way that doesn't entirely pay off.

Top of my list would probably be Fortune and Folly, The Blob That Ate Everything, War of the Outer Gods, and Murder at the Excelsior Hotel, likely in that order.

High Tension Wire posted:

I think one poster here played Fortune and Folly (the newest one) and said it was way too long to play.

Fortune and Folly is great but it's multiple connected scenarios and I think you can really drag out the last one if you gently caress it up.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

PlayingBoardGames did a challenge where they went back and replayed old campaigns using only the cards available at the time. They said it sucked.

I played everything this way the first time through and enjoyed it all. I suppose being familiar with all the cards you can't have could be a bummer. I feel like we got a lot more play out of cards that wouldn't be used with the full collection available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

kaffo posted:

I think if you wanted a restricted challenge like that you'd do something like draft your deck rather than restrict sets personally

It's also just a practical thing. Buying the entire game at once would be a big chunk of change.