Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t8jLB_kKoA

That's right it's 2022, the canon year that Sword Art Online comes out! :frogsiren: WE MADE IT, FOLKS! :frogsiren:

... ahem. right, back to normal:

(There's now officially both an Animation for Adults thread and an Adult Swim Megathread in TVIV since a lot of people wanted to discuss Adult Swim stuff without drowning in anime chat. If you wanna talk about other Adult Swim shows here, then that's still perfectly cool, just know that you won't get as many replies/interest as you may want)

:siren: Spoiler policy for ADTRW regulars: please don't post spoilers for shows just in case we have people going in blind watching them. Well, unless you want to spoil one of the never-ending shonen shows like Naruto, 'cause no one gives a poo poo.

Toonami was America's premiere action block from '97 until '08. They showed a whole bunch of anime and are most notable for bringing Dragon Ball Z to the US (for better or for worse). Adult Swim brought it back as their April Fool's Day prank in 2012 and after nostalgia-fueled fan outcry, it's back for good.... drat we're coming up on the revival lasting longer than the original run now that you think about it....

Currently airing:

January is starting rough after basically everything ended at the end of last year simultaneously but supposedly they're gonna add new shows basically once a week, we'll see how that goes

12:00 - Shenmue - the Animation

Shenmue is an action-adventure series produced, primarily for the Dreamcast. It's made by Yu Suzuki, the pioneer behind a lot of games but mostly relevant to this series is Virtua Fighter. It is kind of well known for being... interesting, trying a lot of new and interesting concepts like having events tied to an in-game clock. There are some very mixed opinions about it, with some considering it a masterpiece, and others... more varied. But regardless, it developed a very strong cult following. Strong enough to apparently get an anime about the series produced. I'll just copy the Wikipedia summary for the plot

Wikipedia posted:

Ryo Hazuki returns to his family dojo to witness a confrontation between his father Iwao and a Chinese man, Lan Di. Lan Di demands Iwao give him a mysterious stone artifact, the dragon mirror. When he threatens to kill Ryo, Iwao tells him the mirror is buried under the cherry blossom tree outside. As Lan Di's men dig up the mirror, Lan Di mentions Zhao Sunming, whom Iwao allegedly killed in Mengcun, China. Lan Di delivers a finishing blow and Iwao dies in Ryo's arms.

So let's all follow Ryo and see if this plot gets moving!

12:30-1:00 - Attack on Titan - The Final Season - Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1OQS0QEJJ0

Okay, I'm just gonna say this plot has gone places. There are still Titans around but who am I supposed to be rooting for again?

Look this plot has gone off the rails, read this article if you're interested in catching up

1:00-1:30 - Assassination Classroom

Koro-sensei is a kind and loving teacher who only wants the best for his students. Koro-sensei is also a nigh-unstoppable squid like alien who destroyed half the moon by ramming straight through it and is threatening to do the same to Earth unless one of his students kills him. You'd think that would make him the bad guy but Assassination Classroom is here to teach us the most evil force in the universe is in fact *dramatic pause* the Japanese educational system. Join week after week for wacky hijinks, and inner monologues from protagonist (and budding murder-machine) Nagisa to describe poo poo we just saw.

preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8u-Ri3Jn6E

1:30-2 - Lupin the 3rd - Part 6

Lupin's back yet again. If you're unfamiliar to the franchise, Arsene Lupin the 3rd is the world's greatest thief. He and his fellow thieves (Daisuke Jigen, master marksman, Goemon Ishikawa, a loving 21st century samurai(?), and beautiful conwoman Fujiko Mine) pull heists galore while pursued by Interpol's best man, Officer Zenigata (who's genuinely a good cop, he's just not good enough to catch Lupin). This season is primarily taking place in Britain, and is featuring motherfucking Sherlock Holmes, who is real in this universe I guess.

2:00-3:00 - One Piece

Oh hey, One Piece is back. One Piece is about a bunch of pirates searching for... wait a minute, I know a much faster way to explain the plot of One Piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

Anyway as of this edit (4/25), we're on the Fishman Island arc. You want to catch up, go to Crunchyroll or somewhere or read wikipedia. One Piece will never end. I know this because it still hasn't ended, even in Japan. The manga hasn't ended. It is safe to say that there is a whole generation out there that grew up on One Piece, gave up, and then their kids have picked up One Piece. It's mind blowing. poo poo say what you want about My Hero Academia aping Western superheroes, One Piece is the real closest thing to Western comics in Japan because it's never gonna end, like Batman.

3:00-3:30 - Naruto Shippuden

Naruto is a ninja kid from the Hidden Leaf Village who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. Hey, at this point did you know that technically Toonami's airing premiere episodes now? (of the dub at least) Yeah, it never got far enough here or when it was airing on other networks to go this far. Anyway it will never end and someday after the nukes drop and you breathe your last, your mutant children might get to see the end of a filler arc.

3:30-4 CLOSING TIME - Cowboy Bebop

Apparently if your live-action adaptation flops hard enough you get sent all the way back to TV! Who knew? Anyway, if you somehow haven't seen Cowboy Motherfucking Bebop in TYOOL 2022 it's time to fix that poo poo. I mean, I don't recommend staying up this late to do it, it's on Netflix, but I guess if you've got a late job or live in a different time zone then sure why not.

So what can we expect this year?

Near the end of last year things got pretty loving dire, and AS/Toonami hasn't really announced much new in the interim. However, there are a few known shows coming up.

well... we think.

Uzumaki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDEQyK5ZH-E

Uzumaki, by horror master Junji Ito, based on the legendary manga of the same name! gently caress it I've given up trying to guess when this will air, I think it was supposed to be 2020 and then it wasn't (understandably), then they swore it would be last year and it wasn't again. MAYBE THIS TIME? If I had to guess, again I'd say Halloween but who the ever-loving gently caress knows? Anyway it'll air here before Japan, that's neat. There's not much in the way of previews you can watch, but you can watch an interview with the director here

Anything else?

Jason Demarco, the more vocal executive that works on Toonami, says there's two more original properties in development right now that have not been announced. (that tweet says 3 but Shenmue brings it down to 2)

So I guess look forward to those springing up at any random rear end time in the future. Toonami really doesn't announce too much ahead of time. What they do do however, is basically never leave a show unfinished, so if there's a show that's aired here, and there's a new season in Japan, you can almost always bet that it will air here eventually. So while they may not air here this year, the current list of former Toonami shows with sequels/more seasons includes:

• Food Wars - Everybody accomplished their life goals at the end of the last season but I guess there's more? Thread regulars have said there's a massive quality drop but this thread is no stranger to trash so strap in.
  • My Hero Academia- it's a huge success everywhere, you know that's a done deal.
  • SSSS.Gridman - got a sequel called SSSS.Dynazenon.
  • Mob Psycho 100 - I mean they sure are taking an awful long time since season 3 is coming and they've yet to air season 2 here but hey never lose hope, right?
  • Dr. Stone... is not gonna have a new season until 2023 so I don't even know why I listed it here but hey, it's happening so... eventually maybe
  • Yashahime - there's a second season so let's all watch as some Sesshomaru fanfic shits on any happy memories of Inuyasha you may have
  • Megalobox - Still not dead yet
  • Pop Team Epic - but what I really wanna know is when Hoshiro Girldrop is returning.
  • Bleach - is apparently having an Inuyasha the Final Chapter-esque revival so it can cover its later stuff now that the manga's over. I won't lie I have nostalgia for Bleach so I would not be disappointed if this came to the block
  • everything else - I mean, Boruto might come back at some point, who knows? Who can say.

some things you should not bet on returning are JoJo's Bizarre Adventure which Netflix bought* and apparently the odds of Demon Slayer returning are unfortunately very low

*I know what you're about to say, "but they bought Cowboy Bebop and that still got aired here afterwards", to that I'd counter that Netflix is branding JJBA pt 6 as a Netflix Original and so they definitely aren't gonna let that escape.

ALSO

Every Saturday night while the more boring shonen shows are on TV, Arist (and others) are building you a better cartoon(/sentai/tokusatsu/whatever) show. They call it Goonami. They just post on Fri/Sat night when they're gonna stream poo poo on Cytube and you can watch. It involves a few browser plugins but it's real easy to do and you should check it out!

MEANWHILE EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE WEEK...

Adult Swim is a block on Cartoon Network that's been running since 2001. It's their late-night offering for grown-ups such as ourselves. This high class stuff includes a show where a guy hosts a parody talk show and pukes on himself and a bunch of Fox reruns. Like I mentioned up top, there is a TVIV catch-all thread for non-kid animation if you want to talk about it there, and there's probably TVIV threads for a bunch of their other live-action stuff, though I'm not gonna check each and every show. If you want to talk about it here though, that's okay, just don't get annoyed when it gets buried under pages upon pages of anime chat.

What's on right now?

The Fox shows like Bob's Burgers and American Dad of course. They just got back King of the Hill and Futurama so that's neat. Also since AS knows where their bread and butter is, Rick & Morty is on basically every night. And AS always has some new cheap show that looks like it cost about a grand to make hoping it'll be the next Aqua Teen, every now and then they're good.

Okay, yeah, but what else?

Ummm... okay, Adult Swim has eschewed any semblance of scheduling like any other TV network and also any semblance of actually canceling TV shows (like, look at the list of shows they've aired on Wikipedia and there's a ton that haven't aired in years that aren't officially canceled). What I'm saying is that if you've seen a show on Adult Swim ever, there's a nonzero chance that it could come up with a new season at any given point in time. Or hell, maybe it won't come back here, it'll be on HBO Max or something (lookin' at you, Boondocks).

Anyway get ready for 2022!

https://twitter.com/coughdrops/status/1477446284596318210?s=20

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Woah King of the Hill is back? Anime news of the year right there

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ground floor

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I will say, 2022 is a year I can picture everyone playing a VR experience that traps them, kills them, and then they keep playing it again even after it escapes.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

TwoPair posted:

Anything else?

Jason Demarco, the more vocal executive that works on Toonami, says there's three more original properties in development right now that have not been announced
https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/1287268740321742848

Wasn't there an announcement of a Shenmue anime coming out this year?

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 3, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yup! And I think it's confirmed to be on Toonami.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I would hope so, it's one of their productions.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

drat, knew I forgot one!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also Black Lotus is still going on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Shame about that Demon Slayer news.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Another one for Goonami to pick up.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MonsterEnvy posted:

Shame about that Demon Slayer news.

what news?

WHAT DID NETFLIX DO THIS TIME?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I. M. Gei posted:

what news?

WHAT DID NETFLIX DO THIS TIME?

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/1476914911599071234

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Sorely disappointed we won't be getting Kimetsu No Yaiba: Demon Slayer: Entertainment District Arc In 2022

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Toonami 2022: Netflix Was a Mistake

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is probably why they've been investing in original productions, lol.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We don't actually have any reason to believe this is Netflix. Demon Slayer Season 2 is streaming on Funimation right now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

We don't actually have any reason to believe this is Netflix. Demon Slayer Season 2 is streaming on Funimation right now.

It is also on Hulu (the sub version.)

Hulu gets a lot of sub anime actually.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can't imagine Toonami's not going to get the simuldub for the rest of Titan.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Level Seven posted:

Toonami 2022: Netflix Was a Mistake

make this the thread title

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

altho yea it sounds like Demon Slayer wasn't Netflix's fault this time

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Arist posted:

Weird, wonder if Funimation isn't happy with them for some reason

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

AssClass is Funimation, so it's probably not that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It might be Sony wanting to leverage the sudden popularity of Demon Slayer into a streaming deal, he says, based on absolutely nothing

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

It might be Sony wanting to leverage the sudden popularity of Demon Slayer into a streaming deal, he says, based on absolutely nothing

Yeah I can't imagine it has nothing to do with the movie's staggering success.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Actually, scratch that. It wouldn't be Sony, it would be Aniplex. Who owns Aniplex again?

Ah, well, nevertheless

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'll get it out of my system here on the ground floor *clears throght*

Where's Drifters you cowards?!

That is all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Apparently they will be adding a show each week for the month of January.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
:psypop:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Neat! I wonder what else we're getting so soon.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

DeMarco mentioned in his Twitter AMA last week that he had no idea what the January 8th schedule would look like and that we shouldn't be surprised if it was a hasty last-minute thing.

This may explain why.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is Shippuden still in one of the Naruto anime's sacred Filler Hells or are we moving somewhat closer to Gai dragon kicking Madara up a tree?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yikes. Well I wasn't betting on much but at least it means I can turn in early. Hopefully they'll be adding some good ones (or at least re-adding some golden oldies)

e: poo poo, one of those "new" additions is gonna be like DBZ Kai isn't it?

Funky Valentine posted:

Is Shippuden still in one of the Naruto anime's sacred Filler Hells or are we moving somewhat closer to Gai dragon kicking Madara up a tree?

The last time I watched it the Allied Forces were attacking the Ten-Tails so I think there's progress being made but from my vague recollections of Naruto there's a lot of filler to come before we get to super kicking.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 7, 2022

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Funky Valentine posted:

I think it's pretty deep in at this point

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Oh wow no Dragon Ball for the first time since I converted to nihilism.

Maybe I'll shave my balls to celebrate/mourn.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Sweet I can go to bed early

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't know if this will cause any issues but AMC (the network) has purchased Sentai Filmworks which handles Food Wars.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Waffleman_ posted:

Apparently they will be adding a show each week for the month of January.

man i havent watched toonami in a while, wtf

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

muscles like this! posted:

Don't know if this will cause any issues but AMC (the network) has purchased Sentai Filmworks which handles Food Wars.

I'm gonna be really upset if I end up having to expend valuable Waffleman Capital™ to expose you to the trainwreck that is Season 5 of that show on Goonami when it eventually gets dubbed

Especially after I already spent so much time trying to ward you guys off of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Catch new episodes of Food Wars in between reruns of Breaking Bad and Mad Men