Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I read the entirety of “The blacktongue thief” a fantasy book and v fun.
Looks cool, ordered it from the library. I was never really into fantasy but my husband convinced me to read The Lies of Locke Lamora and it was so good. I think I didn't give the genre a fair shake when I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

moana posted:

Oh poo poo, then your only goal should be to chill out and recover so you don't end up with long Covid.

I'd be curious to hear what people have read for their reading goals, if the books are any good.

i read some milhist (Poiliu, Stalingrad on the Yangtzee, The Last Zero Fighter) of which I would only recommend Poiliu

I also read a book about old roads in my hometown published by the historical society, and finally finished Dubliners, which was very good.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Current Status as of February 4, 2022.

Assets

Total Cash = $38,159 (- $19,289. bit drop because I maxed out two IRA's, $12,000, and two 529's, $10,000, for 2022.)

Total Investments = $109,052 (+$3,861)

Total Property = $536,000 (+$800)

Total Retirement = $184,556 (+$6,141)

Total Assets = $867,767

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $5,070

Total Other = $526 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $256,040

Total Liabilities = $261,636

Net Worth = $606,131

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

January Update!

1. Raise net worth from $260k to $310k. $274k

2. Increase emergency fund from $16k to $18k. $16.4k

3. Get fence + retaining wall replaced. Pay cash, hopefully. First estimate scheduled for next week!

4. Put away $7k for August/September expenses. $2.9k

5. Make one extra mortgage payment. 0.1 extra payments made.

6. Contribute minimum $4k to Roth IRA. $340 contributed.

7. No new consumer debt! On track.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

February Update:

Financial
  • Pay off all CC debt. - CC debt down to $13600 now. Still just barely on pace, but slower than I expected.
  • Pay for final class/semester of school out of pocket. - Registered for last class, and now owe $927.50. That bill is due May. My next quarterly bonus comes in mid-April, and will be able to cover this.
  • Have an actual emergency fund, fill it to at least $1000. - Fund currently sitting at $223. On pace.
  • Max out my work's charity donation matching. - Not on pace. Going to need to drop the remainder of the April bonus in this to hit goal.

Life
  • Have my gym program up to 4 workout sessions a week, plus at least one non-programmed workout at least once every other week. - Got in 4 workouts a week only once in the last month. Not on pace.
  • Consume no caffeine. - Still haven't had a drop. Also, I still hate that I have chosen this goal so much.
  • Graduate from community college. - On pace. Currently even have an A in this semester's physics class, miraculously.
  • Lose >40 pounds. - Not on pace.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's admirable to donate money to charity but you have thirteen thousand dollars of likely high interest credit card debt and 223 dollars in your emergency fund. Save yourself before you try to save others.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

February update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Transfer my rollover Trad IRA into my 401k Done. Also, maxed out the backdoor Roth IRA.
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan
  • Finish the basement. Consider a HELOC if rates are good vs. outright cash that we have saved up We've had a few contractors out. Waiting on estimates.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 3 of 16 read (Nothing worth sharing)
  • Support my wife in her journey to lose weight My wife remains ahead of me in our running. GNF - 2 miles; GNF's wife - 8 miles.
  • Use all of my vacation 8 of 192 hours

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% Not yet, not even bothering to do the math
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K Not yet
Figure out how to open a 529 for an eventual future child figured it out which leads me to
new goal: open 529 for KG3 no

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 6 so far finished one last month
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 28 back on pace, slipping a bit later in the moth because i got god drat covid
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 8 on pace
go on a nice vacation with wife

recovered OK on the nonfinancial goals I was missing

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
End of February Update
2022 Financial Goals
-Max out 2022 traditional 457b: $5163.75/$20,500
-Max out 2022 Roth IRA: $1,500/$6,000
-Finish maxing out 2021 Roth IRA Done
-Retirement saving rate of over 30% annual gross income (not counting pension payments): 53% (3-month average)
-Determine how I will need to prepare for a possible early retirement. Still need to post about this over on Bogleheads.

Personal Goals
-If and when COVID allows, schedule long deferred medical appointments (general checkup, dental, vision, psychiatric). Still waiting, but all Covid signs are encouraging
-Make at least two trips to visit distant family and friends. First trip coming up in 2 weeks
-Get a nice food processor and a stand-up mixer. I'll probably order these this month
-As COVID allows, eat a nice meal in LA quarterly. 1 meal down, some nice gastropub stuff.
-As COVID allows, play at least 1 OTB chess tournament. No action on this one yet.
-Take an online course dedicated to the London for white and the Caro-Kann for black. Figure out my responses to 1.d4 as black. I've enrolled in a London course, no other progress
-Get my rapid rating above 1300 on Chess.com Or this one.

The situation in Ukraine has been super distracting from my actual goals. Constant doom scrolling does not mix well with being productive. Good thing all my financial stuff is essentially on autopilot.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
Financial goals for FY2022 (July-June):
- have a savings rate of over 50% - currently at 56% as at end of February, going to be hard to keep over 50%
- increase superannuation contributions to max out concessional cap - not achieved, need to request in March
- update donations to 4% of current salary - achieved, all charity amounts updated

Personal goals for 2022 (Jan-Dec):
- read 15 books - 1/15 completed this year so far, got a few books half-read so I think I'm on track
- write & post one article every week - no progress in February, boo
- listen to at least one new album every week - now 7 weeks ahead of schedule
- 6 home improvement tasks - 1/6 so far

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of Jan Update

Financial Goals

- Pension Pot £102k, number go down
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £2600
- NW £138k

Personal Goals
- TV and Mirror mounted, need to redo the aerial at the other end though
- Bought blind material for Kitchen, Office and Back Bedroom
- Living Room Floor tbd
- Fridge/Freezer & Washing Machine on the back burner for now
- No car yet, having a quick scan through things we both like the look of every now and then
- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I very guiltily looked at this goal this morning and resolved to go for a run today. My legs now ache. 1/8.
- Flights are starting to come alive again, I'm planning to go skiing with a couple of friends at the end of next month to work out how bad the flight experience is.
- Started this one well, took some time off for my birthday, need to remind myself again as I pushed through today then went for a run which was stupid.

Errr... Can I take my mulligan now?

whoops I'm late because I went skiing and am blowing all my goals

End of February

Financial Goals
- Pension Pot £100k :rip:
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £2800
- NW £137k lol I am going backwards thanks Vlad

Personal Goals
- TV still on wall, Mirror still on wall, great success
- Mounted Kitchen and Back Bedroom blinds, Office Blind still under construction
- Living Room still has terrible carpet
- Fridge Freezer / Washing Machine stretchiest goals ever
- Still no newer car, old one is still going
- Ran! Twice a week until last week when I went skiing for a long weekend
- Did ski trip last weekend, have a weekend in Berlin booked this month, all looking up travel wise
- Kinda doing better on the hour off for lunch, am still at risk of returning to form though

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I also read a book about old roads in my hometown published by the historical society, and finally finished Dubliners, which was very good.
The most cliche Ireland moment I ever experienced was reading Dubliners in a Dublin pub over some stew and a Guinness, and the bartender comes up to me and says "the final paragraphs of that book are the finest words ever written in the English language." I think he could be right

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
BFC:
Max out backdoor Roth (done)

Max out standard annual I Bond contribution (done)

Max out pre-tax 401k contributions
- After-tax for now since I might switch companies and get a better pre-tax match.

Max out megabackdoor Roth contributions
- Autopilot.

Continue shifting my non-real-estate asset allocation downward from its current leveraged position of over 100% equities
- Pending tax payments and such, will start making some progress toward this in March.

Get another job offer at a comparable compensation range as a fallback plan and potential way to generate a counteroffer comp increase
- At late-stage interviews with 2 companies, what a long process.

Evaluate three points on the effort spectrum: doing as little as possible to not get fired, doing as little as possible to expect a pretty good annual review, and overemployment. (I think I've been close to that middle item for a while I think, will validate once the review comes in)
- Review went fine, I think I can do very little and still be in a good spot. Makes me a lot less interested in both switching companies and overemployment. Will have more concrete ideas after the external interviews finalize.

Lifespan & Healthspan:
Systematize a sauna / steam room / whirlpool routine
- Whirlpool was good, sauna lagged a bit, steam room still way behind.

Return to sport, targeting twice a month during non-winter
- Not in Feb, still winter. Have one rep in March so far.

More video games.
- Lost Ark.

Habituate mid-day mindfulness practice
- Not as much time as I'd like, but some.

Proactively nurture positive expected utility friendships, more and deeper
- Similar to last time, deeper but not quite more. Returning to sport looks like a path forward.

Explore lucid dreaming as a way to meaningfully increase the amount of time I spend conscious
- Did worse in February, keep forgetting about this at bedtime. Trying to be more thoughtful about this when I hop in the bed.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
March update

Current State
- My student loans: PSLF'ed in January
- Her student loans: $150k at 0%, eligible for PSLF 6/2023, payments on pause Surprise notification that with the waiver recalculation, she's qualified for PSLF, so student loans officially done!
- Mortgage: 15 yr fixed at 2.25%

Financial Goals
- Max backdoor Roth IRAs for me/spouse Done
- Max my/spouse's 403b/457b On autopilot
- Put in 3k/month in to taxable On autopilot
- $1k/mo to each of our two kids 529s On autopilot
- Goal: Increase net worth by $500k Both loans out of the way, now depends on the market
- Goal: Start a small endowment for the training program I direct, or not if I jump ship Signed the documents committing to the endowment, for maximum flexibility in how funds are used had to forgo matching funds that came with too many strings attached which is unfortunate

Personal Goals
- Work out 5 days a week when not on service
- Get stuff together for academic promotion application in July, may defer if a good job opportunity comes up without it
- Learn 1 new piano piece
- Actually use the cash we've been saving for the things it's earmarked for (mainly home renovation, new car for spouse) spouse wants to use some for deferred vacations, inclined to agree
- More social activities now that everyone's had COVID + vaccinations
- New goal, actually tend to mental health and start counseling, starting this month and will see how it goes

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Current Status as of March 7, 2022

Assets

Total Cash = $54,583 (+ $16,424)

Total Investments = $93,068 (- $15,984)

Total Property = $545,600 (+ $9,600)

Total Retirement = $180,288 (- $4,268)

Total Assets = $873,539 (+ $5,742)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $7,152

Total Other = $468 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $255,570

Total Liabilities = $263,190

Net Worth = $610,349

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
March Update

Current State
- My student loans: 170k, currently 0% interest, no payments until May.
- Mortgage on 30 year fixed at 2.875%

Financial Goals for 2022:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: Done
- Max out wife's Mega Backdoor Roth. On track
- Max my 401k when I become eligible this summer.
- Put in 11k/month in to taxable. On track
- Put in 3k/month in to savings. On track
- Start a 529 plan for Baby Evil. Baby Evil just arrived! Will plan to do this later this year. :toot:
- Increase net worth to the next million. RIP the market.
- Stretch: Increase net worth to next 500k. RIP the market.
- Look in to refinancing student loans after 0%/forbearance ends in May.

It looks like I will be getting a Very Large Raise this June/July, so hopefully things will improve on some of the above fronts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

- Start a 529 plan for Baby Evil. Baby Evil just arrived! Will plan to do this later this year. :toot:

congrats, hope mom and babb are doing well!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Basically nothing is on track.

I look forward to updating in April.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

February Update! (Late!)

1. Raise net worth from $260k to $310k. $270k. RIP net worth goals!

2. Increase emergency fund from $16k to $18k. $16.4k

3. Get fence + retaining wall replaced. Pay cash, hopefully. Estimates gotten, accepted one, paid first half in Feb. (Total Cost: $11.2k :cry: )

4. Put away $7k for August/September expenses. $2.8k

5. Make one extra mortgage payment. 0.2 extra payments made.

6. Contribute minimum $4k to Roth IRA. $680 contributed.

Had to rob a few savings lines on the budget to make sure I had enough cash on hand to pay for the fence, but should be able to make up what I took in April/May. March's numbers will be similarly sad, since I just paid for the other half of the fence bill, but after that things should be back on track.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

March Update:

Financial
  • Pay off all CC debt. - CC debt down to $12700 now. Fallen slightly off-pace, but should surge ahead with my quarterly bonus coming in April.
  • Pay for final class/semester of school out of pocket. - I've got the big bill for the last class this Summer due May 1st, should have it paid before then.
  • Have an actual emergency fund, fill it to at least $1000. - Fund currently sitting at $358. Ahead of pace.
  • Max out my work's charity donation matching. - Not on pace. Gotta figure this one out.

Life
  • Have my gym program up to 4 workout sessions a week, plus at least one non-programmed workout at least once every other week. - Barely got in 3 workouts a week this month. Not on pace.
  • Consume no caffeine. - Still sitting at absolutely zero caffeine. I'm going to see it through, but let me just say: FUUUCK this goal.
  • Graduate from community college. - Still on pace, should be able to sail through current class with at least a B (but if I push a bit harder and get an A, then I'll only need a C in my last class to graduate Cum Laude, which will make my summer significantly less stressful).
  • Lose >40 pounds. - Got back on pace with this one.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Keeping it simple again for 2022

Financial
1. Max 401k
2. $500/month into my investment account
3. $500/month into my savings
4. $500/month into our savings
5. $500/month extra on our loan

Personal
1. Read 20 books
2. Exercise 15 days per month
3. Build something

Q1 Update:

1. On track
2. $500/$500/$500
3. $100/$100/$300
4. $0/$0/$396
5. $100/$200/$200

Personal:
1. Ahead of schedule, 9/20 complete
2. 21/9/12. So I failed two months, but overall I'm at 42/45
3. Man, I ain't built poo poo

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

March update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment Done. Not much changed.
  • Transfer my rollover Trad IRA into my 401k and max out backdoor Roth IRA
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan
  • Finish the basement. Consider a HELOC if rates are good vs. outright cash that we have saved up We've engaged a contractor with strong references whose estimate was more than reasonable. We'll have to DIY some minor things, but overall, it's well under the cash amount we have put aside for this. So no HELOC / home equity loan / cash-out refi needed (which is good because rates are going up). Now, we start prepping for a tentative Sept start.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 6 of 16 read
  • Support my wife in her journey to lose weight My wife remains ahead of me in our running goal of 150 miles this year. I definitely have to pick up my pace to reach the goal. GNF - 8 miles; GNF's wife - 14 miles.
  • Use all of my vacation 24 of 192 hours

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 2, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% Holding it down at 56.5% through Q1
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K Not yet
Figure out how to open a 529 for an eventual future child figured it out which leads me to
open 529 for KG3 no

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 10 so far finished four last month
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 35 off pace due to god drat COVID, but not too badly off (on a 140 pace). need to pick it up now that I don't have COVID.
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 8 on pace, but I have to pick up two early season next year, that is tough.
go on a nice vacation with wife

COVID setting me back on the non-financial stuff but glad to see that financial stuff is going mostly well.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

whoops I'm late because I went skiing and am blowing all my goals

End of February

Financial Goals
- Pension Pot £100k :rip:
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £2800
- NW £137k lol I am going backwards thanks Vlad

Personal Goals
- TV still on wall, Mirror still on wall, great success
- Mounted Kitchen and Back Bedroom blinds, Office Blind still under construction
- Living Room still has terrible carpet
- Fridge Freezer / Washing Machine stretchiest goals ever
- Still no newer car, old one is still going
- Ran! Twice a week until last week when I went skiing for a long weekend
- Did ski trip last weekend, have a weekend in Berlin booked this month, all looking up travel wise
- Kinda doing better on the hour off for lunch, am still at risk of returning to form though

End of March

Financial Goals
- Pension Pot £104k
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £3000
- NW £142k

Personal Goals
- Mounted Office Blind, just the curtains for the Living Room and Front Bedroom to go
- Nothing else purchased except for a Willow tree for the back garden that I will need to plant in the next couple of weeks. Dining chairs arrived though that we ordered and paid for at the back end of last year!
- Got COVID after avoiding the bastard thing for 2 years, took it out of both of us for half of March. Was nothing to do with any of the travel I've been doing, my partner caught it just because London is a plagueland
- Did at least manage to get to Berlin for the weekend before catching COVID :coronatoot:

So Q1 I've basically managed to get back to the end of Q4 2021...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Doccykins posted:

- Got COVID after avoiding the bastard thing for 2 years, took it out of both of us for half of March. Was nothing to do with any of the travel I've been doing, my partner caught it just because London is a plagueland

this is exactly what happened to us, except replace London with Boston, and also cases aren't even that bad here wtf

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Staggy posted:

2022 Financial Goals:
  1. House Deposit to £32,000 (starting from £18,000; immediately added £1,200 in January budget);
  2. Side Project income of £3,000 (gross);
  3. FY21-22 Self Assessment submitted and paid by end of October 2022;

Goal 1 should be something I can set and forget each month, unless something unexpected comes up. Goal 3 just needs me to be reasonably on the ball with deadlines (and given how little I made on my side project this tax year, will probably just be "submitted" with nothing to pay). Goal 2 is the real challenge and it ties in to a few aspects of my life (future career plans, general motivation/proactivity, etc.).

End of Q1 update:
  1. As of the end of March, £21,600 (ahead of YTD target of £21,500).
  2. Negligible (£17.35 for anyone keeping score). Work has been busy but this really comes down to Brain Is A gently caress.
  3. Not relevant yet.

Managed to avoid a massive rise in bills for now thanks to a fixed gas/electricity tariff that lasts another year. That said, it's been made clear that year-end pay reviews aren't going to touch the rising cost of everything else. Somehow, though, if you exclude my student loans (UK Plan 1 - so low interest rate, repayments only on monthly salary over a certain amount and cancelled after 30 years) my net worth just hit £100k. Which feels ridiculous and is in no small part thanks to this subforum. Hard to imagine a better rate of return on :10bux:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
End of March Update
2022 Financial Goals
-Max out 2022 traditional 457b: $6,833/$20,500
-Max out 2022 Roth IRA: $2,000/$6,000
-Retirement saving rate of over 30% annual gross income (not counting pension payments): 49% (4-month average)
-Determine how I will need to prepare for a possible early retirement. Got some advice from the Bogleheads forum and did a lot of poking around in NewRetirement. Feeling pretty confident that retirement in my early 50's is possible.

Personal Goals
-If and when COVID allows, schedule long deferred medical appointments (general checkup, dental, vision, psychiatric). Man, I should really do this.
-Make at least two trips to visit distant family and friends. 1 trip down, saw a lot of family and no one got COVID
-Get a nice food processor and a stand-up mixer. Going to make a post with some questions in GWS, then buy whatever they recommend.
-As COVID allows, eat a nice meal in LA quarterly. 2 meals down, tried Alice Water's new restaurant in LA. Very good seasonal local fare.
-As COVID allows, play at least 1 OTB chess tournament. No action on this one yet.
-Take an online course dedicated to the London for white and the Caro-Kann for black. Figure out my responses to 1.d4 as black. Really need to set aside time to study
-Get my rapid rating above 1300 on Chess.com In the last month I've managed to firmly lodge myself in the lower 1200's. I feel like this one is possible even if I'm not studying properly.

Feeling really proud this month, my net worth crossed into the 6 figures for the first time in my life. Considering that up until 6 months ago I'd never earned more than ~35k a year, it feels like a big accomplishment. The amount that I have is a testament to the power of the investments you make in your early and mid 20's. Of course, a bear market my take it all back sometime in the next decade, but I'll enjoy the number for now.

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 1, 2022

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

March Update!

1. Raise net worth from $260k to $310k. $280k.

2. Increase emergency fund from $16k to $18k. $16.7k

3. Get fence + retaining wall replaced. Pay cash, hopefully. Goal met, April 2022. I have a new fence and retaining wall! 50% paid in Feb, 25% in March, last 25% was just paid. All cash. 11.2k

4. Put away $7k for August/September expenses. $4.2k

5. Make one extra mortgage payment. 0.3 extra payments made.

6. Contribute minimum $4k to Roth IRA. $1040 contributed.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

March Update

Financial Goals
$800/month deferred compensation into 457b (Vanguard Institutional S&P 500 fund, ER 0.02%) - Done! Tempted to boost that to $1,000/month, but there are some home and car improvements around the corner so I need to save up
Max out Roth IRA, stash in broad indexes - Done!
Max out I bonds - Done!

Personal Goals
Switch to cold showers - Done, and easier the closer I get to summer
Lose 15 lbs (from 190 to 175) - Wavering between 175-177 day to day, which is Done in my book.
Publish a story/poem - Not yet
Use at least one week of leave every two months - Got some PTO scheduled for April and May, looking forward to it
Reconnect with friends I let drift during covid, one message/call per week - Tricky! I've been messaging one friend in particular who will message back but doesn't seem to want to talk on the phone or discuss anything substantial. Feels like I'm at arm's length, which is his choice, but at least I'm trying.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Financial
  • Max Roth IRA (on autopilot)
  • Max pre-tax 401K (on autopilot)
  • Max HSA (on autopilot)
  • Max I bonds by the end of April - $7.5k/$10k done, last $2.5k this month
  • Get an estate plan (will and/or trust) set up - not started

Life
  • Exercise at least 4x per week, one of - averaging 1x :(
    • 30 mins cardio
    • 5 miles walking
    • calisthenics routine
  • Lose 10 lbs, 175 -> 165 - lol no progress
  • Acquire amateur radio license - going to take exam on Saturday
  • Read at least one book per month for pleasure - finished 2 books, will try to pick up the spare
  • Explore at least one state park I haven't visited yet - not yet
  • Schedule deferred medical appointments - dentist scheduled, need to make appointment for physician
  • Home improvement projects: - not started
    • Install ceiling fans in bedrooms/office
    • Install new fans/lights/faucets in bathrooms
    • Finish painting entryway
    • Replace entryway light fixture

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Current Status as of March 7, 2022

Assets

Total Cash = $65,011 (+$10,158)

Total Investments = $95,136 (+$2,068)

Total Property = $571,500 (+$25,900)

Total Retirement = $186,506 (- $6,218)

Total Assets = $918,153 (+$44,614)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $9,293

Total Other = $440 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $255,570

Total Liabilities = $263,880

Net Worth = $652,880

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

April Update!

1. Raise net worth from $260k to $310k. $282k.

2. Increase emergency fund from $16k to $18k. $17.1k

3. Get fence + retaining wall replaced. Pay cash, hopefully. Goal met, April 2022. Cost: 11.2k

4. Put away $7k for August/September expenses. $5.5k

5. Make one extra mortgage payment. 0.4 extra payments made.

6. Contribute minimum $4k to Roth IRA. $1380 contributed.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Current Status as of April 29, 2022

Assets

Total Cash = $66,028 (+$1,017)

Total Investments = $87,806 (- $7,730)

Total Property = $581,200 (+$9,700)

Total Retirement = $174,736 (- $11,770)

Total Assets = $909,770 (-$8,383)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $8,038

Total Other = $352 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $255,099

Total Liabilities = $263,489

Net Worth = $646,281

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

April Update:

Financial
  • Pay off all CC debt. - CC debt down to $10550 now. Back on pace.
  • Pay for final class/semester of school out of pocket. - Final semester is now paid in full.
  • Have an actual emergency fund, fill it to at least $1000. - Fund now at $439. Just a touch ahead of pace.
  • Max out my work's charity donation matching. - Not on pace.

Life
  • Have my gym program up to 4 workout sessions a week, plus at least one non-programmed workout at least once every other week. - Getting back to 3 workouts a week now. Not on pace.
  • Consume no caffeine. - Haven't had a drop, for over 120 days now. On New Year's Day 2023 I'm gonna go so hard on the pre-workout that I'll probably have a heart attack.
  • Graduate from community college. - Going into to the last week of the Spring semester with a B in my class. Summer semester starts 5/16, and I've got one accelerated 10-week class to complete. Graduation date is August 15th.
  • Lose >40 pounds. - Still on pace.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

April update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Finish the basement. Consider a HELOC if rates are good vs. outright cash that we have saved up First part of the basement finishing (egress window install) is scheduled for mid-May. We've also narrowed down flooring options, so we should be purchasing that soon.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 8 of 16 read
  • Support my wife in her journey to lose weight I had previously been tracking a "total miles" goal, but that was unrealistic. So I'm changing this to a "days/week exercised" goal and starting simple: Exercise 1 day/week - on track.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 1, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
End of April Update
2022 Financial Goals
-Max out 2022 traditional 457b: $8,541/$20,500
-Max out 2022 Roth IRA: $2,500/$6,000
-Retirement saving rate of over 30% annual gross income (not counting pension payments): 45% (5-month average)
-Determine how I will need to prepare for a possible early retirement. After some reading I think I'm in a good enough planning spot for probably the next 5 years

Personal Goals
-If and when COVID allows, schedule long deferred medical appointments (general checkup, dental, vision, psychiatric). Dental checkup done. Glad I made time for that. Now I just need to schedule the others.
-Make at least two trips to visit distant family and friends. Still planning the 2nd trip
-Get a nice food processor and a stand-up mixer. Done. Very happy with this purchase, already making good use of it.
-As COVID allows, eat a nice meal in LA quarterly. Going to a have to plan for where to eat when my sister visits in June.
-Take an online course dedicated to the London for white and the Caro-Kann for black. Figure out my responses to 1.d4 as black. Got some half hearted studying in
-Get my rapid rating above 1300 on Chess.com Still managing to slowly claw up through the lower 1200's

This month was a little rough, I'm looking at some hefty copays on necessary dental expenses, but I guess that's why I have the emergency fund.
[/quote]

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of March

Financial Goals
- Pension Pot £104k
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £3000
- NW £142k

Personal Goals
- Mounted Office Blind, just the curtains for the Living Room and Front Bedroom to go
- Nothing else purchased except for a Willow tree for the back garden that I will need to plant in the next couple of weeks. Dining chairs arrived though that we ordered and paid for at the back end of last year!
- Did at least manage to get to Berlin for the weekend before catching COVID :coronatoot:

So Q1 I've basically managed to get back to the end of Q4 2021...

End of April

Financial Goals
- Pension Pot £103k
- ISA £11.5k
- Short Term Savings £3200
- NW £142k
- Also got an unexpected payrise this year, after pulling teeth to get last year's :woop: - should help me actually make these goals now in 7 months instead of 12

Personal Goals
- Planted a tree, was more rewarding than I expected :unsmith:
- We moved my partner's workstation to the back bedroom so the dining table is actually clear to eat at, managed to start a habit of this one
- Other goals on hold while RL happens

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A belated april update

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% Holding it down at 66% through April i think my prior math was hosed up but whatev we are doing good here
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K Not yet, there is no furniture to buy. I guess we bought a kind of lovely bookcase?
open 529 for KG3 no

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 12 so far finished two last month
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 53 back on pace, doing good here
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 8 on pace, but I have to pick up two early season next year, that is tough.
go on a nice vacation with wife got it planned at least

doing okay here, we may just not open a 529 yet because tax advantages aren't that great (100 bucks in state taxes) and we are tryin to buy House

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

May Update:

Financial
  • Pay off all CC debt. - CC debt at $9750 now. Back on pace. Also, now that I'm under 20% revolving credit utilization, my credit score has jumped by 40 points.
  • Pay for final class/semester of school out of pocket. Done
  • Have an actual emergency fund, fill it to at least $1000. - Fund now at $519. Over halfway there.
  • Max out my work's charity donation matching. - Not on pace.

Life
  • Have my gym program up to 4 workout sessions a week, plus at least one non-programmed workout at least once every other week. - Still oscillating between 2 and 3 a week. Meeting with my trainer this afternoon to figure out how to move forward on this.
  • Consume no caffeine. - 150 days with absolutely none. Still hate that I set this goal. Still sticking to it.
  • Graduate from community college. - Got a B in my Spring class, and I'm currently 2 weeks in to my 10-week long Summer class.
  • Lose >40 pounds. - Still (just barely) on pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

May update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Finish the basement. Stay under 60k all in. Flooring and cabinets are in. Egress window was pushed to mid-June due to excessive rain throughout May in our area. In a stroke of "good" luck, the excessive rain exposed some leak-prone areas in the basement, so we get to address those before the walls get closed up. 4k spent so far.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 10 of 16 read
  • Support my wife in her journey to lose weight Exercise 1 day/week - recent bout of illness made us miss 2 weeks