Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I hit all my goals this year! Also saved 28.5% of my income this year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I never actually posted my 2022 goals in this thread, and they are super similar to my 2023 ones, but I mostly did better this year than last year.

- Got to back to 10k, then up to 15k in savings. Won't make it to 20k this year though.
- Completed 6 to 7 art/craft projects.
- Read 8 of 10 books, might finish 9 before the end of the year.
- Beat 3 of 5 video games.
- Watched 1 of 5 DVDs, oops.
- Purchased 9 of 10 video games, technically a success?
- Still bought too much collectible crap.
- Started decluttering.

So yeah, this is why next year will be focused on consuming the media and art supplies I already own and not buying more poo poo. All while I try to save money and hopefully purchase a house.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of Octobeer

Financial Goals
- Pension Pot £105k
- ISA £9.8k
- Short Term Savings £4400
- NW £138k

Personal Goals
- Finally got back to the house improvements and spent Saturday deciding on new living room curtains, also got a quote for reinforcing the garden fence for the next storm and cried a little
- Buy new (used) car with Short Term Savings in Q3 or Q4 - Might be inheriting my partner's mum's car here as she doesn't drive it anymore - that would be a great saving and can push the short term savings goal to next year's refurbs/holiday
- Run and/or cycle at least twice a week nope nope nope, idiot boy
- Take one hour a day off screen at lunch when working - finishing this post and doing that right now

End of November

Financial Goals
- Pension Pot £107k
- ISA £10.3k
- Short Term Savings £4600
- NW £143k

Personal Goals for 2022
- Mount Bedroom TV and Bathroom Mirror
- Redecorate curtains and blinds for Kitchen | Living Room | Front Bedroom | Back Bedroom | Office
- Redecorate living room floor
- Buy new Office Chair (rolled over from 2021)
- Buy new Fridge/Freezer | Washing Machine for kitchen (this is more of a stretch goal as the current ones work but aren't particularly good)
- Buy new (used) car with Short Term Savings in Q3 or Q4
- Run and/or cycle at least twice a week
- Take a two week holiday in Q2 or Q3 and delete my work email app from my phone - this worked really well for the Christmas/New Year period to decompress (though I'm not logging in until tomorrow to see what kind of a disaster my inbox is)
- Take one hour a day off screen at lunch when working - eeehhh kinda

Financial goals are recovering slightly, will probably get to even by end of next month. Personal goals are a disaster - should probably focus on these more next year

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
December Update

Current State
- My student loans: 170k, currently 0% interest, no payments until May October January, for real this time. Maybe next summer? God I hope my job ends up qualifying for PSLF. :negative:
- Mortgage on 30 year fixed at 2.875%

Financial Goals for 2022:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: Done
- Max out wife's Mega Backdoor Roth. On track/essentially done
- Max my 401k when I become eligible this summer. Became eligible with job/promotion, done
- Put in 11k/month in to taxable. On track Will increase this to $15k starting next month Have been putting in 15k/month since July, done for the year. :toot:
- Put in 3k/month in to savings. On track
- Start a 529 plan for Baby Evil. Baby Evil just arrived! Will plan to do this later this year. Put $1k/month in to this? Funded this with 25k seed, putting in $1k/month.
- Increase net worth to the next million. RIP the market Double RIP. Close, so maybe next year.
- Stretch: Increase net worth to next 500k. RIP
- Look in to refinancing student loans after 0%/forbearance ends in January. Debating on what to do. I may just pay these off mid next year since I'm no longer eligible for PSLF, even though I work at a non-profit hospital. :negative:

It looks like I will be getting a Very Large Raise this June/July, so hopefully things will improve on some of the above fronts. Got a Very Large Raise/New Job starting this month. I still loving love my new job. :toot:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 4, 2022

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

w4ddl3d33 posted:

it's never too late to start, right?

final quarter of 2022 goals
- get a promotion or a second job: this one should be a total slamdunk! i'm applying for a ton of other jobs and my manager is looking to transfer to another store, so i'll keep my fingers and toes crossed. my current job does owe me a £100 bonus, as well as £200 for my overtime in the marketing department, both of which i've remembered while typing this, so i have to chase them on that one
- hit 4k in savings: again, another slamdunk, so long as i keep at it. i've got a payment set up putting £40 into my savings account every fortnight, and my goal is to deposit at least a quarter of my paycheck every month into it, but we'll see if i remember that
- improve my credit score: this sounds super vague but is probably the one i've been most on the ball with over the past few weeks. i got approved for my first credit card last week, it arrived today, and my actual concrete specific goal is to spend at least £25 a month and pay it off. my big problem with this isn't even the money itself, it's that i'm ditzy as gently caress and will almost certainly forget. might need to get somebody irl to yell at me a few times a week just so it sticks
- take a look at my subscription services: not even with the intention of cancelling them, i just want to rethink them all. atm i pay for netflix, spotify premium, and i'm pretty sure i still have a subscription going for a prison email service i haven't used since my boy got out last august
- actually establish a rent-paying schedule: i rent from my parents and just siphon the money out of my account gradually as and when i feel like it but i need to get into better habits and actually pay my rent by a set date in a set sum
- learn to ride a bike: because i spent £15 a week on uber last week and i don't have time for this poo poo any more

update:
things are not going so good. i have two jobs, but neither of them pay as well as my old one. we'll see how this all pans out.

emergencies have eaten into my savings more than i expected, but 3k is still a possibility!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% Back up to 53% which should see us through it to the end of year
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K decided not to do this
Figure out how to open a 529 for an eventual future child figured it out which leads me to
open 529 for KG3 not yet

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 21so far, I have a few in progress that I need to close out. I also do a horrible job keeping track of it.
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 132 through November. Serious illness hurt my progress but I think I should be able to close it out with 18 days in December.
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 8 Hopefully I pick up the last two in December with the above.
go on a nice vacation with wife went to Denmark, very pleasant

bought some furniture right after this but kept it under the budget!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
"I'll come back mid-month and confirm that I failed/succeeded. Gotta stay accountable." -me, December 1

The retrospective:

YeahTubaMike posted:

Good morrow, kind goons. Here's my almost end of the year update:

-$15,000 for emergencies ($465.34 to go) this should be fine by mid-month*
-$6,000 for travel ($616.57 to go) this should be fine by mid-month
-$3,200 for bills ($539.02 to go) this should be fine by mid-month even if I spend some

All good. :toot:

quote:

Other goals [the ones I didn't nix or already complete]:
-eat at least two meals a day at home, unless one or more of them is free I did better this month than previous months, but I still don't really consider this goal fully met
-buy a vacuum nope :cripes:
-pare down my insanely large useless t-shirt collection the laundromats nearest to my apartment were completely hosed so I had to use them as reserves all month

"Two meals a day at home" was hard to quantify over the course of a month. It was hard to know how bad I was failing or how well I was passing, so it just kind of always felt like failure even if I only failed once, which was just kind of a bummer. I changed it to "limit five takeout/order-in meals a week" for my 2023 goals even though it's technically a harder goal to attain, mostly because it's easier to track but also because that means I can spend an entire weekend not cooking if I want to. :keke:

I nixed paring down my insanely large useless t-shirt collection as a goal because 1) it's just not that important to me (yet?), and 2) those shirts can be used in case of emergencies, as the laundromat situation has shown me.

I'm definitely still buying a vacuum though. :mad:

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
End of Year Update

Current State
- My student loans: PSLF'd in January
- Her student loans: PSLF'd in March
- Mortgage: 15 yr fixed at 2.25%

Financial Goals
- Max backdoor Roth IRAs for me/spouse Done
- Max my/spouse's 403b/457b Done
- Put in 3k/month 5k/month 6k/month in to taxable
- $1k/mo $1250/mo to each of our two kids 529s Upped to account for inflation, had room in budget
- Goal: Increase net worth by $500k maintain positive net worth change for the year Success, though without PSLF would have been slightly negative, thanks market
- Goal: Start a small endowment for the training program I direct, or not if I jump ship Got a big bonus, donated a bunch of it to get to the amount needed for it to activate, endowment is officially active

Personal Goals
- Work out 5 days a week when not on service Generally successful, when I manage to not reinjure my back...
- Get stuff together for academic promotion application in July may defer if a good job opportunity comes up without it Done, will find out results April/May 2023
- Learn 1 new piano piece Nope, try again next year
- Actually use the cash we've been saving for the things it's earmarked for Got the things, trying to spend thoughtfully and not just hoard everything
- More social activities now that everyone's had COVID + vaccinations - Happening, back to the usual work/life limitations
- Continuing counseling, results have been mixed but trying to stick with it

A good year financially despite a terrible market, I'm counting any net worth change >0 as a major success. A good year professionally, stepped up to full program director position, new faculty that are actively making the program better instead of trying to hold everything together myself, feels like plugging holes in a dam at times but maybe there'll be more consistent forward progress. Trying to get away from miser-brain to spend thoughtfully to make life easier, the time/money balance is very much in favor of spending more to get time back now, it's probably been that way for a long time but it's hard to switch gears. Not having massive student loans anymore though helps a lot.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

End of Year Update!

1. Raise net worth from $260k to $310k. $304k. Not bad, I guess, considering how 2022 was! Goal not met.

2. Increase emergency fund from $16k to $18k. $18k. Goal met.

3. Get fence + retaining wall replaced. Pay cash. Cost: 11.2k. Paid cash. Goal met.

4. Put away $7k for August/September expenses. Goal met.

5. Make one extra mortgage payment. 1.16 extra payments made. Goal met.

6. Contribute minimum $4k to Roth IRA. $4140 contributed. Goal met.

7. No new consumer debt! Goal met.

Overall - a good year (in terms of these goals)!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Final Update:

Financial
  • Pay off all CC debt. - Succeeded.
  • Pay for final class/semester of school out of pocket. - Succeeded.
  • Have an actual emergency fund, fill it to at least $1000. - Succeeded. (just barely made it on this one)
  • Max out my work's charity donation matching. - Failed. Donated $170 out of the potential $1000 match. At least it wasn't nothing.

Life
  • Have my gym program up to 4 workout sessions a week, plus at least one non-programmed workout at least once every other week. - Failed. Technically my number of sessions is at the goal level, but I'm missing way too many of them.
  • Consume no caffeine. - Failed. I made it 168 days.
  • Graduate from community college. - Succeeded.
  • Lose >40 pounds. - Failed. The average of my daily weigh-ins for the month of December 2022 is only 7.8 pounds lower than the average from December 2021.

I really enjoyed this process. Having these goals through the year helped to keep me on track, and I'm definitely in a better place financially right now than I would have been if I hadn't posted here nearly one year ago. On to 2023!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I've been neglectful about updating so here's how I did:

Financial
  • Max Roth IRA - Done
  • Max pre-tax 401K - Done
  • Max HSA - Done
  • Max I bonds by the end of April - Done
  • Get an estate plan (will and/or trust) set up - Not Done :(

Life
  • Exercise at least 4x per week, one of - Nope :(
    • 30 mins cardio
    • 5 miles walking
    • calisthenics routine
  • Lose 10 lbs, 175 -> 165 - Got down to 170 but gained it back over the holidays :(
  • Acquire amateur radio license - Done
  • Read at least one book per month for pleasure - Done
  • Explore at least one state park I haven't visited yet - Done
  • Schedule deferred medical appointments - Done
  • Home improvement projects:
    • Install ceiling fans in bedrooms/office - Done
    • Install new fans/lights/faucets in bathrooms - Done
    • Finish painting entryway - Not Done
    • Replace entryway light fixture - Not Done

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
whoops wrong thread

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 28, 2022

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

End of Year update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment Done
  • Transfer my rollover Trad IRA into my 401k and max out backdoor Roth IRA Done
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA Done
  • 50/month into kids' 529s Done
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan Failed
  • Finish the basement. Stay under 60k all in. Done

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books Done. 21 of 16 read
  • Exercise 1 day/week Failed
  • Use all of my vacation Very close. The one day I have left will roll over to Q1 of next year. 184 of 192 hours

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Had a crazy end of November and missed my update. All deltas below represent changes since October 31, 2022.

Current Status as of December 30, 2022.

Assets

Total Cash = $78,024 (+ $12,656)

Total Investments = $95,398 (+ $502)

Total Property = $575,290 (- $13,300)

Total Retirement = $170,138 (+ $5,339)

Total Assets = $918,850 (+ $5,197)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $11,001

Total Other = $655 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $251,290

Total Liabilities = $262,946

Net Worth = $655,904

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Keeping it simple again for 2022

Financial
1. Max 401k
2. $500/month into my investment account
3. $500/month into my savings
4. $500/month into our savings
5. $500/month extra on our loan

Personal
1. Read 20 books
2. Exercise 15 days per month
3. Build something

Q1 Update | Q2 Update | Q3 Update

Financial
1. Missed. There was a payroll snafu where the system combined employee contribution and employer match, and thought we were all over the limit
2. $500/$300/$300
3. $300/$300/$300
4. $400/$400/$400
5. $200/$200/$200

Personal
1. Success! Ended up with 27 books read in 2022
2. Failed. 14/12/4 for the quarter
3. Nope.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Here we go for end of year:

Financial Goals for 2022

- Increase Pension Pot from £105k to £130k - Super Failed, got to treading water with it, still hovering around £105k
- Increase ISA from £13k to £18k - Dead in the water, I had too much bond allocation here and they've eaten poo poo all year with interest hikes and the Truss/Kwarteng catastrophe - actual loss down to £10k
- Increase Short Term Savings from £2400 to £5000 (if not cleaned out with personal goal) - Complete
- Increase Net Worth from £141k to £170k - Final tally was £142k, +0.4%
- Remortgage in December at end of 2 year fix, probably to a 5 year fix - Completes on 3rd January after the fixed term penalty expires tomorrow

Personal Goals for 2022

- Mount Bedroom TV and Bathroom Mirror - Complete
- Redecorate curtains and blinds for Kitchen | Living Room | Front Bedroom | Back Bedroom | Office - Completed half, have finally decided on the fabric for the living room, just the front bedroom to redo
- Redecorate living room floor - Not complete
- Buy new Office Chair (rolled over from 2021) - Not Complete
- Buy new Fridge/Freezer | Washing Machine for kitchen (this is more of a stretch goal as the current ones work but aren't particularly good) - Not Complete
- Buy new (used) car with Short Term Savings in Q3 or Q4 - Not Complete, the old one is still ticking over though so that's a plus
- Run and/or cycle at least twice a week - Super Failed
- Take a two week holiday in Q2 or Q3 and delete my work email app from my phone - this worked really well for the Christmas/New Year period to decompress (though I'm not logging in until tomorrow to see what kind of a disaster my inbox is) - Complete, and starting a new role for 2023 so inbox will start at 0
- Take one hour a day off screen at lunch when working - Kind of worked since getting the piano, using lunch to do some practice, but other times I still worked through

For those who only have this thread bookmarked and don't venture into BFC as a whole the 2023 thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017136

Better fortune next year!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Time to pay the piper...

Financial Goals
$800/month deferred compensation into 457b (Vanguard Institutional S&P 500 fund, ER 0.02%) (autopilot) Added a small-cap index to the mix to better capture the entire market at cap weighting. - Done! Started with the S&P 500 fund, later added a small-cap index, then held my nose and allocated 20% to the only EuroPacific option, which is actively managed but better than nothing. The average ER across all three funds is still less than the target date option.
Max out Roth IRA, stash in broad indexes - Done!
Max out I bonds - Done! Now to weigh whether to do this asap in 2023...

Personal Goals
Switch to cold showers - this was cute for much of the year, but once temperatures reached freezing, no, gimme some warmth please
Lose 15 lbs (from 190 to 175) via the following sub-goals:
-Portion control;
-Daily workout after dinner, even if it's just walking a couple miles outside;
-Replacing cookies and chips with fruits and vegetables in my diet --- Mostly done, I seem to keep gaining and losing the same final five pounds based on the size of dinner or having dessert.
---Holidays and vacation have undone much of my progress here, no shame in enjoying good company and good food though.

Publish a story/poem - The venue where I submitted turned me down, and my backup's deadline is in January 2023, so with any luck, this goal will squeak through just a little late.
Use at least one week of leave every two months - Went well in November and December, with a long weekend planned in January too. I need to step away more often, it feels great.
Reconnect with friends I let drift during covid, one message/call per week - Mostly successful, reconnected with one friend over something we both enjoy and will finish an email to another friend this evening. Reach out and touch someone!

Reading everyone else's goals and writing out my own is motivating, thank you! - Still true, and will remain true in 2023!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% 50% due to moving a little money at the end of the year.
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K bought a nice used table for a couple hundred bucks, now need to buy some nice chairs to go with
Figure out how to open a 529 for an eventual future child figured it out which leads me to
open 529 for KG3 not yet

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 21 I don't think I realistically closed this one this year; I did a poo poo job keeping track. Will try again in 2023 and actually keep track in some kind of app.
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 132 through November. Serious illness hurt my progress but I think I should be able to close it out with 18 days in December.
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 9 Just short, we'll run it back in 2023
go on a nice vacation with wife went to Denmark, very pleasant

Ehh I'll give myself a C on this. I need to focus more on the non-financials and update my 2023 goals. Ended up not prioritizing the 529 after discussions with wife.