Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2022 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment
  • Transfer my rollover Trad IRA into my 401k I'm now in the good situation where I need to backdoor Roth IRA, so I need to get rid of my rollover Trad IRA first. Hopefully, Congress doesn't axe backdoors before I get to it.
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On track
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan
  • Finish the basement. Consider a HELOC if rates are good vs. outright cash that we have saved up Pending availability of labor / materials.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books I read a lot of comic books, but I don't know how to include them in my goal so I won't.
  • Support my wife in her journey to lose weight Very vague, I know.
  • Use all of my vacation I have 4-5 weeks of time off depending which HR you ask and if they include "family time" as vacation, and I'm going to use it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

January update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Transfer my rollover Trad IRA into my 401k Rollover check is in the mail because of course my employer's service provider won't accept direct rollovers.
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan
  • Finish the basement. Consider a HELOC if rates are good vs. outright cash that we have saved up I have several contractors lined up to provide estimates.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 2 of 16 read
  • Support my wife in her journey to lose weight We joined a virtual running club, and she is currently ahead of me. GNF - 0 miles; GNF's wife - 5 miles.
  • Use all of my vacation 0 of 192 hours

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 18, 2022

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

February update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Transfer my rollover Trad IRA into my 401k Done. Also, maxed out the backdoor Roth IRA.
  • Finish the basement. Consider a HELOC if rates are good vs. outright cash that we have saved up We've had a few contractors out. Waiting on estimates.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 3 of 16 read (Nothing worth sharing)
  • Support my wife in her journey to lose weight My wife remains ahead of me in our running. GNF - 2 miles; GNF's wife - 8 miles.
  • Use all of my vacation 8 of 192 hours

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

March update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment Done. Not much changed.
  • Transfer my rollover Trad IRA into my 401k and max out backdoor Roth IRA
  • Finish the basement. Consider a HELOC if rates are good vs. outright cash that we have saved up We've engaged a contractor with strong references whose estimate was more than reasonable. We'll have to DIY some minor things, but overall, it's well under the cash amount we have put aside for this. So no HELOC / home equity loan / cash-out refi needed (which is good because rates are going up). Now, we start prepping for a tentative Sept start.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 6 of 16 read
  • Support my wife in her journey to lose weight My wife remains ahead of me in our running goal of 150 miles this year. I definitely have to pick up my pace to reach the goal. GNF - 8 miles; GNF's wife - 14 miles.
  • Use all of my vacation 24 of 192 hours

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 2, 2022

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

April update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Finish the basement. Consider a HELOC if rates are good vs. outright cash that we have saved up First part of the basement finishing (egress window install) is scheduled for mid-May. We've also narrowed down flooring options, so we should be purchasing that soon.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 8 of 16 read
  • Support my wife in her journey to lose weight I had previously been tracking a "total miles" goal, but that was unrealistic. So I'm changing this to a "days/week exercised" goal and starting simple: Exercise 1 day/week - on track.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 1, 2022

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

May update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Finish the basement. Stay under 60k all in. Flooring and cabinets are in. Egress window was pushed to mid-June due to excessive rain throughout May in our area. In a stroke of "good" luck, the excessive rain exposed some leak-prone areas in the basement, so we get to address those before the walls get closed up. 4k spent so far.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 10 of 16 read
  • Support my wife in her journey to lose weight Exercise 1 day/week - recent bout of illness made us miss 2 weeks

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

anyone else reading anything cool?

Reading the first trilogy in the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson which was recommended to me in TBB. I finished the second book last night (just in time for my monthly update post), and I'm champing at the bit to get to the library on Saturday to borrow the third.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 2, 2022

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

June update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Finish the basement. Stay under 60k all in. Put some deposits down for planned work, but labor shortages in our area keep pushing things back. Frustrating, but nothing I can really do. 7k spent so far.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 11 of 16 read
  • Exercise 1 day/week Back on track
  • Use all of my vacation 64 of 192 hours

Mostly on track for things that are within my control.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

July update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Finish the basement. Stay under 60k all in. Basement egress and water mitigation are done. We put our deposit down on the actual finish which is tentatively starting at the end of Aug! 26k spent so far.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 12 of 16 read
  • Exercise 1 day/week On track
  • Use all of my vacation 80 of 192 hours

I'm happy that the basement work is finally progressing - it was a frustrating few months waiting for people to be available.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

August update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Finish the basement. Stay under 60k all in. Basement work started this week - we're very excited! 32k spent so far.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 14 of 16 read
  • Exercise 1 day/week COVID + Vacation made me miss this month.
  • Use all of my vacation 120 of 192 hours

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 31, 2022

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

September update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan Reached out to a couple in-network lawyers, but nothing scheduled yet.
  • Finish the basement. Stay under 60k all in. Basement work should be done by mid-October. 48k spent so far.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 16 of 16 read
  • Exercise 1 day/week I usually workout in the basement, but since that's under construction, I can't workout there. And I haven't made effort to find a different place.

LanceHunter posted:

[*]Max out my work's charity donation matching. - Not on pace.

What's the max here that you're trying to hit? It may be worth calling this goal a loss for the year and focusing on paying down your CC debt.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 1, 2022

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

October update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan I'm really bad at following up with people.
  • Finish the basement. Stay under 60k all in. Basement is done!!! 58k spent*

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 17 of 16 read
  • Exercise 1 day/week I've been doing lots of moving of stuff, building furniture, and cleaning now that the basement is done. It counts as exercise for me.

* Basement cost breakdown for those interested
  • $30.5k - General contractor payments. This covered the bulk of the work (framing, wiring, plumbing, drywall, painting, installation of self-purchased items below, etc.)
  • $13.5k - Water mitigation
  • $9k - Egress window (cutting into the foundation, installing the window, regrading the yard, etc.)
  • $2k - LVT flooring (materials)
  • $2k - Cabinetry + countertop (materials)
  • $750 - Carpet + install (only on the stairs)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

November update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan At this point, I'm calling it a failure and putting on my 2023 goals.
  • Finish the basement. Stay under 60k all in.

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books 19 of 16 read
  • Exercise 1 day/week Not traditional exercise, but still a lot of moving & building furniture and cleaning going on to keep my heart rate up and my body sore.
  • Use all of my vacation 144 of 192 hours

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 21so far, I have a few in progress that I need to close out. I also do a horrible job keeping track of it.

If you're looking for an app to track your reading, I'm a big fan of StoryGraph which is a great alternative to Goodreads if you dislike Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

End of Year update

2022 Financial Goals
  • Annual budget reassessment Done
  • Transfer my rollover Trad IRA into my 401k and max out backdoor Roth IRA Done
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA Done
  • 50/month into kids' 529s Done
  • Use my company's life insurance benefit for free estate planning to actually estate plan Failed
  • Finish the basement. Stay under 60k all in. Done

2022 Personal Goals
  • Read 16 books Done. 21 of 16 read
  • Exercise 1 day/week Failed
  • Use all of my vacation Very close. The one day I have left will roll over to Q1 of next year. 184 of 192 hours