Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garrettdonohue
Jan 18, 2010
I’m 37, recently separated. I believe the biggest reason for this is my wife (until otherwise) thinks I am too impulsive with money. While I absolutely could be better, I still believe I have established a nice foundation and there is no reason I can’t achieve big things.

About 8 years ago, I moved from CO to HI to make more money - it would have taken me into my 40s to pay off my debts had I stayed in Denver. About 3.5 years ago, I moved to the Bay Area to, again, make more money - I was out of debt now but would love to retire early. I don’t really care about luxury and I just want to become FIRE asap.

I have ~20k liquid, ~330k in retirement with 2 modest pensions, and zero debt. I have purchased everything small that I could ever want (golf clubs of my dreams, every video game and electronic imaginable, all the nice kitchen things, more nice clothes than I’ll ever be able to wear) and have a fairly nice car that is paid off - but it all feels cheap when people view you as being bad with money. I don’t have any property, and this is my biggest source of shame. I have been waiting for a better market that just never seems to come. Plus I keep living in the most expensive parts of the country, which doesn’t help any.

I graduated college in 2008, just as the world was melting down, and I consider myself fortunate to have been given the opportunities that I’ve had. But I look back and think to myself just how easily I could have been a multimillionaire at this point (drat I wish that I was in a financial position to have bought a house 2008-2010, shoulda bought apple or Bitcoin or Netflix or ect ect)…. But as a RN I see death frequently and have to remind myself that every day is a miracle and that NOTHING is guaranteed.

But yeah, I am ready to really kick things into overdrive financially. I don’t want people to look at me any more and think to themselves that I don’t have my poo poo together.

My goal over 2022 is to not buy ANY more non-essential clothing, 2k video game budget (gotta have my elden ring and Zelda), and I want to invest 50%. By the end of 2023, I want to have financed SOMETHING. I am going to sell off everything that doesn’t bring me joy (thanks Marie Kondo) and will look to keep developing my eBay side hustle.

I am totally open to advice, constructive criticism, whatever. I am not a finished product and am always looking to improve. I am also not scared to lose a percentage of my investing money in high risk ventures. Scared money don’t make none - so if you see something that has awesome growth potential let me know. Let’s get rich together, goons.

garrettdonohue fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU