Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you should make your own thread tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

This year my goals are pretty simple and more centered around making sure I actually use the money for something fun rather than just hoarding treasure like a moronic dragon

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50%
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K
Figure out how to open a 529 for an eventual future child

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done.
Exercise 150x over the course of the year.
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more
go on a nice vacation with wife

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Update time:

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% Not yet, not even bothering to do the math
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K Not yet
Figure out how to open a 529 for an eventual future child figured it out which leads me to
new goal: open 529 for KG3

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 5 so far on pace
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 12 NOT on pace
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 3 on pace

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

Consume no caffeine. - Haven't had a drop. I hate that I have chosen this goal so much, but I'm sticking with it.

respect, you madlad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

moana posted:

Oh poo poo, then your only goal should be to chill out and recover so you don't end up with long Covid.

I'd be curious to hear what people have read for their reading goals, if the books are any good.

i read some milhist (Poiliu, Stalingrad on the Yangtzee, The Last Zero Fighter) of which I would only recommend Poiliu

I also read a book about old roads in my hometown published by the historical society, and finally finished Dubliners, which was very good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's admirable to donate money to charity but you have thirteen thousand dollars of likely high interest credit card debt and 223 dollars in your emergency fund. Save yourself before you try to save others.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% Not yet, not even bothering to do the math
Figure out how to open a 529 for an eventual future child figured it out which leads me to
new goal: open 529 for KG3 no

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 6 so far finished one last month
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 28 back on pace, slipping a bit later in the moth because i got god drat covid
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 8 on pace

recovered OK on the nonfinancial goals I was missing

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

- Start a 529 plan for Baby Evil. Baby Evil just arrived! Will plan to do this later this year. :toot:

congrats, hope mom and babb are doing well!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% Holding it down at 56.5% through Q1
open 529 for KG3 no

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 10 so far finished four last month
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 35 off pace due to god drat COVID, but not too badly off (on a 140 pace). need to pick it up now that I don't have COVID.
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 8 on pace, but I have to pick up two early season next year, that is tough.

COVID setting me back on the non-financial stuff but glad to see that financial stuff is going mostly well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Doccykins posted:

- Got COVID after avoiding the bastard thing for 2 years, took it out of both of us for half of March. Was nothing to do with any of the travel I've been doing, my partner caught it just because London is a plagueland

this is exactly what happened to us, except replace London with Boston, and also cases aren't even that bad here wtf

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A belated april update

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% Holding it down at 66% through April i think my prior math was hosed up but whatev we are doing good here
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K Not yet, there is no furniture to buy. I guess we bought a kind of lovely bookcase?
open 529 for KG3 no

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 12 so far finished two last month
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 53 back on pace, doing good here
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 8 on pace, but I have to pick up two early season next year, that is tough.
go on a nice vacation with wife got it planned at least

doing okay here, we may just not open a 529 yet because tax advantages aren't that great (100 bucks in state taxes) and we are tryin to buy House

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what are you reading?

currently three body problem trilogy on the kindle, nostromo, and a book called the soul of the octopus which is kind of interesting

anyone else reading anything cool?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sock The Great posted:

Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud and Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer.

the latter is very good imo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% Dipped down to 49% but this should be recoverable without too much difficulty.
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K I don't think we're actually going to do this
open 529 for KG3 not yet

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 15 so far finished a few more last month (all of the Three Body Problem trilogy) and started in on Bad Blood
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 77 through June, just about on pace. Need to stay moto though.
go on a nice vacation with wife went to Denmark, very pleasant

Glad I didn't have a NW goal, that's down about 9% from the peak despite plowing about 50 grand in to various savings

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

[*]Consume no caffeine. - Failed. I made it 168 days.

:tipshat:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

when you rejigger your subscriptions, put some of them on the cc, and then set autopay

boom, i have ensured you will marginally increase your credit score over time

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

The thread or the goals, lol? I am a piss terrible OP writer.

gaze back on the poo poo OP i posted in '20 and ask yourself: could i possibly do worse

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Take this as you will but I think you're really underprioritizing your emergency fund. How many months of your minimized living expenses is $1,000? It's admirable to donate to charity but I think you should take that end of year charitable donation and put it in your efund.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% Back up to 53% which should see us through it to the end of year
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K decided not to do this
open 529 for KG3 not yet

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 21so far, I have a few in progress that I need to close out. I also do a horrible job keeping track of it.
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 132 through November. Serious illness hurt my progress but I think I should be able to close it out with 18 days in December.
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 8 Hopefully I pick up the last two in December with the above.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Good-Natured Filth posted:

If you're looking for an app to track your reading, I'm a big fan of StoryGraph which is a great alternative to Goodreads if you dislike Amazon.

I will check it out. I do not care for the Beez

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% Back up to 53% which should see us through it to the end of year
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K decided not to do this
open 529 for KG3 not yet

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 21so far, I have a few in progress that I need to close out. I also do a horrible job keeping track of it.
Exercise 150x over the course of the year. 132 through November. Serious illness hurt my progress but I think I should be able to close it out with 18 days in December.
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 8 Hopefully I pick up the last two in December with the above.

bought some furniture right after this but kept it under the budget!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Financial Goals
Savings rate over 50% 50% due to moving a little money at the end of the year.
Buy new furniture, spend more than $2K and less than $5K bought a nice used table for a couple hundred bucks, now need to buy some nice chairs to go with
open 529 for KG3 not yet

Nonfinancial Goals
Read 25 books. I hosed this up last year. Time to get it done. 21 I don't think I realistically closed this one this year; I did a poo poo job keeping track. Will try again in 2023 and actually keep track in some kind of app.
Ski/snowshoe 10 days or more 9 Just short, we'll run it back in 2023

Ehh I'll give myself a C on this. I need to focus more on the non-financials and update my 2023 goals. Ended up not prioritizing the 529 after discussions with wife.