Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

This is a useful thread! I am excited to organize my thoughts.

My goals center around figuring out what goals I want to set. Over the the last three years, I've finally been in a spot where I could live by myself, contribute to retirement savings, AND slowly build up excess funds. However, each of the last two years has had an unexpected emergency that wiped out most of the accrued funds each year. So at this point, I'm gunshy about doing anything with the excess funds because I like the security of having that much liquidity. My gross excess funds the last two years were about $12k annually. My income has gone up a bit, but now rents are skyrocketing because COVID protections have ceased.

Financial Goals for 2022
  • Increase savings account by $100 per month.
  • Further research homebuying process and if it's right for me.
  • Review retirement packages and see if I can increase my contributions.
Personal Goals for 2022
  • Every work day: Take a walk for my work lunch breaks.
  • Every month: Lose 2 pounds until I reach my target goal.
  • Every month: Once target goal weight achieved, start putting on muscle.
  • Five times per week: Do targeted stretches and exercises that target my problem areas.
  • Twice per week: Run.
  • Thrice per week: Light Weights
  • Twice per week: Read at least 1 hour of non-work related materials.
  • Lifestyle: Spend less of my non-work time at my desk
  • Figure out what I want from life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

New goal: Avoid anger or depression when reading the wealth of other goons in the Financial Goals 2022 thread.

(Not on Track)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Update:
All goals - not on track

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

moana posted:

For the weight loss one, I was able to lose 10 pounds in just a few months by cutting my top two caloric snacks (popcorn, oreos). Maybe try that if that's one you're having trouble with?

For running, put on [url="39y-BGoJTms"[/url]All Day, it's great pacing for a moderate jog and always got me hyped to run.

For reading, order Lexicon by Max Barry from the library, it's a super fun page turner.

But really, what do you want to focus on this month as far as goals? You had a lot of goals at first and it's hard to change a bunch of habits all at once usually. Focus on one for now and get it going!

I actually greatly exceeded my reading goal and I am saving a bit more so I hit that goal too.

I also caught Covid in January. So that put a damper on progress.

I appreciate your thoughtful effort post :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

moana posted:

Oh poo poo, then your only goal should be to chill out and recover so you don't end up with long Covid.

I'd be curious to hear what people have read for their reading goals, if the books are any good.

I’m working my way through two different depressing nonfictions about human rights.

I read the entirety of “The blacktongue thief” a fantasy book and v fun.

I also have atomic habits sitting on the shelf. Ironic that my goal is to have better habits but I don’t have the habit to do the things I need to do (read the book) to get better habits.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Basically nothing is on track.

I look forward to updating in April.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I got slightly more money than I did last month.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I have about the same amount of money as I did last month except due to inflation it’s worth less.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Net worth: basically the same as at the start of the year. No increase despite 9 months.
No property.
Covid.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

My net worth is basically the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Financial Goals for 2022
  • Increase savings account by $100 per month. not on track, I have less total savings now than I had in April
  • Further research homebuying process and if it's right for me. Done. I researched and it will never loving happen for me in my community. My income will never catch the increasing housing costs.
  • Review retirement packages and see if I can increase my contributions. I might be able to at the start of next year. But it would be some “who gives a gently caress” amount like $50 a month.

Personal Goals for 2022
  • Every work day: Take a walk for my work lunch breaks. Not even close
  • Every month: Lose 2 pounds until I reach my target goal. i achieved this, then got fat again
  • Every month: Once target goal weight achieved, start putting on muscle. i achieved some of this, then got fat again
  • Five times per week: Do targeted stretches and exercises that target my problem areas.nope
  • Twice per week: Run.nope
  • Thrice per week: Light Weights. nope
  • Twice per week: Read at least 1 hour of non-work related materials. nope
  • Lifestyle: Spend less of my non-work time at my desk. kind of
  • Figure out what I want from life. nope

Ornery and Hornery posted:

New goal: Avoid anger or depression when reading the wealth of other goons in the Financial Goals 2022 thread.

(Not on Track)

Not even close to on track. Some people ITT generate more net worth in a month than I do in a year despite my miserly saving and their lavish recreational spending. I’m angry as gently caress.

All in all this year I got Covid twice and it looks like both my financial and biological health will be worse at the end of 2022 than at the start. Terrific.

poo poo sucks, gonna find a dog to pet.