Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Current State
- My student loans: $185k at 0%, eligible for PSLF 5/2022, on payment pause until then so should be able to apply after May's payment is sent
- Her student loans: $150k at 0%, eligible for PSLF 6/2023, payments on pause
- Mortgage: 15 yr fixed at 2.25%

Financial Goals
- Max backdoor Roth IRAs for me/spouse Done
- Max my/spouse's 403b/457b on autopilot, contributions upped for the year
- Put in 2-3k/month in to taxable Probably will drop to $2k when her loan payments restart
- $1k/mo to each of our two kids 529s on autopilot
- Goal: Increase net worth by $500k :guillotine: Would also be counting on my student loans being wiped for this to happen
- Goal: Start a small endowment for the training program I direct, or not if I jump ship

Personal Goals
- Work out 5 days a week when not on service
- Get stuff together for academic promotion application in July, may defer if a good job opportunity comes up without it
- Learn 1 new piano piece
- Actually use the cash we've been saving for the things it's earmarked for (mainly home renovation, new car for spouse)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
February update

Current State
- My student loans: $185k at 0%, eligible for PSLF 5/2022, on payment pause until then so should be able to apply after May's payment is sent surprise PSLF in January, guess the waiver found some more payments, officially done!
- Her student loans: $150k at 0%, eligible for PSLF 6/2023, payments on pause

Financial Goals
- Max my/spouse's 403b/457b on autopilot
- Put in 3k/month in to taxable Probably will drop to $2k when her loan payments restart
- $1k/mo to each of our two kids 529s on autopilot
- Goal: Increase net worth by $500k :guillotine: Already already $185k closer, hah
- Goal: Start a small endowment for the training program I direct, or not if I jump ship looking into some matching funds, might get a 1:1 match

Personal Goals
- Get stuff together for academic promotion application in July, may defer if a good job opportunity comes up without it
- Actually use the cash we've been saving for the things it's earmarked for (mainly home renovation, new car for spouse) new couch for family room purchased
- 3 y/o brought home COVID for everyone, breakthrough infections for all but doing ok, finishing quarantine today, going to take advantage of everyone's immune status to travel/do indoor activities with the kids

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
March update

Current State
- My student loans: PSLF'ed in January
- Her student loans: $150k at 0%, eligible for PSLF 6/2023, payments on pause Surprise notification that with the waiver recalculation, she's qualified for PSLF, so student loans officially done!

Financial Goals
- Max my/spouse's 403b/457b On autopilot
- Put in 3k/month in to taxable On autopilot
- $1k/mo to each of our two kids 529s On autopilot
- Goal: Increase net worth by $500k Both loans out of the way, now depends on the market
- Goal: Start a small endowment for the training program I direct, or not if I jump ship Signed the documents committing to the endowment, for maximum flexibility in how funds are used had to forgo matching funds that came with too many strings attached which is unfortunate

Personal Goals
- Actually use the cash we've been saving for the things it's earmarked for (mainly home renovation, new car for spouse) spouse wants to use some for deferred vacations, inclined to agree
- More social activities now that everyone's had COVID + vaccinations
- New goal, actually tend to mental health and start counseling, starting this month and will see how it goes

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
August Update

Current State
- My student loans: PSLF'd in January
- Her student loans: PSLF'd in March

Financial Goals
- Max my/spouse's 403b/457b On autopilot
- Put in 3k/month 5k/month in to taxable See salary update below, upping contributions accordingly
- $1k/mo to each of our two kids 529s On autopilot
- Goal: Increase net worth by $500k maintain positive net worth change for the year RIP market, only positive due to loan forgivenes
- Goal: Start a small endowment for the training program I direct, or not if I jump ship Moving forward, got 2 other donors so far, if my bonus is right might be able hit the amount needed to take effect by the end of the year

Personal Goals
- Get stuff together for academic promotion application in July may defer if a good job opportunity comes up without it submitted paperwork, will find out results April/May 2023
- Learn 1 new piano piece wayyy on the backburner, welp
- Actually use the cash we've been saving for the things it's earmarked for got new furniture as a celebration, extended family beach trip this month
- More social activities now that everyone's had COVID + vaccinations
- New goal, actually tend to mental health and start counseling, it's been ok so far, giving it more time

Wife made associate professor (!!!) which came with a nice salary bump. My raise actually kept up with inflation (9%), was not expecting that, so spending a bit and saving most of it

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
End of Year Update

Current State
- My student loans: PSLF'd in January
- Her student loans: PSLF'd in March

Financial Goals
- Max my/spouse's 403b/457b Done
- Put in 3k/month 5k/month 6k/month in to taxable
- $1k/mo $1250/mo to each of our two kids 529s Upped to account for inflation, had room in budget
- Goal: Increase net worth by $500k maintain positive net worth change for the year Success, though without PSLF would have been slightly negative, thanks market
- Goal: Start a small endowment for the training program I direct, or not if I jump ship Got a big bonus, donated a bunch of it to get to the amount needed for it to activate, endowment is officially active

Personal Goals
- Work out 5 days a week when not on service Generally successful, when I manage to not reinjure my back...
- Get stuff together for academic promotion application in July may defer if a good job opportunity comes up without it Done, will find out results April/May 2023
- Learn 1 new piano piece Nope, try again next year
- Actually use the cash we've been saving for the things it's earmarked for Got the things, trying to spend thoughtfully and not just hoard everything
- More social activities now that everyone's had COVID + vaccinations - Happening, back to the usual work/life limitations
- Continuing counseling, results have been mixed but trying to stick with it

A good year financially despite a terrible market, I'm counting any net worth change >0 as a major success. A good year professionally, stepped up to full program director position, new faculty that are actively making the program better instead of trying to hold everything together myself, feels like plugging holes in a dam at times but maybe there'll be more consistent forward progress. Trying to get away from miser-brain to spend thoughtfully to make life easier, the time/money balance is very much in favor of spending more to get time back now, it's probably been that way for a long time but it's hard to switch gears. Not having massive student loans anymore though helps a lot.