Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
This is pretty juicy so I wanted to share it:

The Judge reviewing Eastman's documents has ordered all but 10 to be turned over to the Jan 06 committee and had this stunner in his summary,

quote:

Dr. Eastman and President Trump launched a campaign to overturn a democratic
election, an action unprecedented in American history. Their campaign was not confined to the
ivory tower—it was a coup in search of a legal theory.

I hope the judge has referred this over to the DOJ for action.

edit: Another zinger:

quote:

Based on the evidence, the Court finds it more likely than not that President Trump
corruptly attempted to obstruct the Joint Session of Congress on January 6, 2021.
Based on the evidence, the Court finds that it is more likely than not that President
Trump and Dr. Eastman dishonestly conspired to obstruct the Joint Session of Congress on
January 6, 2021.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Garland and Biden apparently made the decision not to indict a former president.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Jan 6 stuff that is coming out now is in a really weird place between being a huge story and being a complete non-story. Like, in theory, it's a big deal to see everybody's "suspicions" (read: incredibly obvious inferences) confirmed, but on the other hand the political power to do anything about it doesn't exist* and it seems like literally nobody's mind can be changed by literally any amount of evidence.

* Even setting aside Biden and Garland's arguable cowardice, and the very real danger of a backlash from voters at the "partisanship," the only way to get an actual conviction would be to screen the jury for political affiliation and I assume that's extremely unconstitutional.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

Garland and Biden apparently made the decision not to indict a former president.

It does look that way. The ruling upthread is based on a much higher threshold than probable cause which is what you need for an indictment.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Murgos posted:

It does look that way. The ruling upthread is based on a much higher threshold than probable cause which is what you need for an indictment.

The committee doesn't want to deal with the fight to get republicans to testify (which they should have started immediately because it requires so much time) and, as for compelling other key witnesses to come in, contempt of congress charges doesn't seem to be effective in that regard.

It's been 14 months. The government a bunch of little guys. They got none of the main ones and public engagement is gone. They waited long enough so that not even the senate, which democrats control, would do an investigation.

As for the lawsuits against Trump with him sitting for a deposition and the potential criminal charges in NY which never seem to materialize- I'll believe it when I see it.

Their intentions did not seem to be actual consequences for big players but to keep it in the news and make political hay out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

VorpalBunny posted:

Ok, so in addition to the seizing of voting machines, Trump drafted these newly released "Remarks on National Healing" in anticipation of the insurrection, where he was planning on blaming Antifa? Which shows he had foreknowledge of the insurrection and the violence that would happen, and reportedly got mad when the QAnon Shaman and Confederate Flag fools were given so much screentime which blew his cover story?

Isn't this a huge deal? Why aren't more people livid and enraged by this? Are we all just :matters: at this point?
Where did you see that? The "Remarks on National Healing" memo i've seen doesn't mention Antifa.