Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I just started this process today (well last week but I was on vacation and just submitted my info at lunch). Going to get a Trust and Will set up.

I am mostly doing this at the request of my partner since we are not married. She doesn't want to have to deal with any BS. The hardest part so far is figuring out how to divide the assets. 35 yo with no kids but a bunch of assets. Should be simple?

Seems like my lawyer has all the stuff he needs and I will have some stuff to review in 3 weeks. I will report back as it develops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I just reviewed all my documents. It is a lot of pages and a lot of legal stuff. After reading through all of this stuff it definitely makes sense to not just "legal zoom" it and hope for the best. I sent back about 25 questions to my lawyer. Once I get those answers back and can update the documents appropriately I will probably be able to answer any questions on the process and what it gets you at the end/how it all works when you die.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

laxbro posted:

Finally initiated the estate planning process. $2500 for a revocable trust which doesn't seem too bad. I also set up a "black" book in our password manager and made sure my wife knew it was there. It has gotta suck when the spouse who manages the finances/bills dies and never shared any of the account or login info with their spouse.

Mine was $2250 so sounds like the price is right.

Also agree with the password manager stuff, plus all the bills and everything else. Really important that you don't make it an impossible struggle for those you lever stuff to.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Muir posted:

Interesting that they're doing a second trust for the retirement assets. I've usually seen those not included in the trust and just done by designating a beneficiary (which I think could be the trust itself).

I found this interesting as well. Mine is all in one trust. My retirement accounts all name the trust as the beneficiary.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

$2250 in Denver back in 2021. 2 houses and investment accounts.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Mine had a big list of stuff with costs. That's pretty typical from what I found from shopping around. I have an attorney friend and went with the person they used. Most places give you a free consultation because I don't think there's a "one package" that fits everyone's situation.

This was my experience as well. 15-20 min free convo. I laid out all the details of my situation, he asked a brunch of questions, and then he said here is what I would do and what it costs.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You could check if you actually need to change your bank accounts. My lawyer who helped me said it really wasn't required unless you have a bunch of money in cash. He felt it wasn't really worth the hassle for ~$5k in a checking account.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

In my case we own two properties and are not married. So it is kind of messy. I went to a lawyer to ask what to do.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Goons. Goons never change.

"Go see a lawyer."

"Thanks! I did and here's what he told me to do."

"Why do you need to do that, that seems wrong."

I love you all.

Lol. Fair as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

raminasi posted:

I am currently life-partnered to someone who has a very good chance of requiring very expensive end-of-life care (strong family history of Alzheimer's). We are starting to sniff around the house-buying process - nothing imminent, but we'd like to be able to do it within the next several years, if possible. Neither of us have any particular inclination either way about getting legally married; we'll do it if it makes practical sense.

We would like to start talking to professionals now about the best legal structures for managing and protecting our finances and life going forward, given that we want to own a home together, we're open to either getting married or not, and she might spend the last decades of her life as an incapable money pit. But I don't even know which professionals to look for! I'm assuming some kind of attorney followed by some kind of financial planner (or maybe the opposite order)? But I don't know which flavor of attorney I want.

I would start with an estate planner.

We ended up with a non married cohabitation agreement. Lays out ownership and what happens if we split or die.