Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I finally talked to a lawyer today about estate planning - about 7 years later than I planned to (that's when our first kid was born). It feels good to have the ball rolling on this.

I hadn't considered a trust as something I would need for estate planning. I figured we didn't have a big enough estate to need one, but it sounds pretty normal in our area to avoid probate delays and direct money appropriately. Very glad to be working with a professional who understands everything way more than I do and can explain it to me in easy-to-understand terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Our lawyer is currently quoting $44 for everything, but that's because almost all of it is covered through my insurance. I have no idea what the cost is without that coverage. I'll ask the lawyer next time we chat.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Our lawyer is currently quoting $44 for everything, but that's because almost all of it is covered through my insurance. I have no idea what the cost is without that coverage. I'll ask the lawyer next time we chat.

We have finished the process. Our lawyer did everything needed for a Will, Trust, Durable Power of Attorney, and Health Care Power of Attorney for myself and my wife. Like she quoted, it was $44 for some county filing that wasn't covered by my insurance. She said if we had done it out of pocket, it would've been ~$1500 (low cost of living area). We have peace of mind that it's finally done 7 years later than it should have been (when our daughter was born).