Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I chuckled a bit looking at my regdate, how long I've been on here, and then seeing this thread and going "oooooh that's me, I should check into this!". We old, goons.

Here's my basic Step 1 question -- who do I talk too / how do I find someone 'good' to talk too in my area? I've got to feel that for 30-somethings with similar asset types / no kids / 'simple' setups, there are younger lawyers / firms that specialize in churning these out in a cost-effective fashion because we're not as complicated as folks who have kids, multiple properties, known medical conditions, etc.

I already have my TODs / beneficiaries set on my 401(k), brokerage accounts and things like that, but gently caress if I know for my house / mortgage / etc.

How much should this cost / what's a general number above which you're getting taken to the cleaners? I've got to imagine it's around $2-3K for a few hours of partner/lawyer time + paralegal time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nonexistence posted:

See my response to above for finding someone, but the biiig caveat for people in your situation is that no matter what you put in a will, that will still has to go through probate, and probate will be more expensive than a trust by a factor of at least 2-3x if everything is right and 10x+ if anything is wrong if your net worth is at least like even low six digits. And your assets will be locked up with the court until everything resolves, which may be a year or more. And all your everything becomes public record for "take-advantage-of-people-whose-loved-ones-just-died" industries to exploit market to

So, if I understand correctly I think you're saying that I might actually want to find someone to help me out with a trust not a will?