Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

movax posted:

So, if I understand correctly I think you're saying that I might actually want to find someone to help me out with a trust not a will?

Find a lawyer, tell them what you want to happen, and ask what they recommend. They will likely recommend a trust.

If they recommend a will instead, ask them why, and ask them whether probate is a concern. If their answers seem reasonable and make sense, sure. If they sound like a lunatic, get a second opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Thanks. After reading through the thread, and being introduced to the idea of trusts (which looking into it do exist here as well), my partner and I are thinking that, instead of filling out the kit my "legal" consulting benefit from work provided, we're just going to a practice with specialization in estates. So there the only question I have right now is, of the two firms that come highly regarded, one is a small (2 attorney) practice just down the street, and the other a large (55 lawyers) local firm with an office several blocks away. As I see it, the small firm comes with the personal touch, whereas the larger firm is full service with estate planners, financial planers, etc, all on call although communication can go off sometimes and presumably is spendier. I've worked with the larger firm before on condo bylaw revisions so I'm leaning there but I'd be happy for the threads experiences with large vs. small practices.

55 isn't all that large when it comes to law firms. You can still very much get the personal touch there. I'd assume the 2-person firm is slightly cheaper, but that's not always the case. I'd honestly go with whichever firm has people you feel more comfortable with on a personal level, unless there's a large disparity in hourly rates/flat fee rates for the work you're doing.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You don't post your rate publicly anywhere because you want flexibility to change it willy-nilly and don't want your competitors to undercut you, but it will absolutely be the kind of thing you're very comfortable telling a potential client about in the first conversation.