Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

adnam posted:

Jesus I'm glad you were there for your dad to avoid this kind of poo poo. I work in the medical field and saw a lot of shitfuckery with old parents on their deathbed and the insane ways people would try to take advantage of them. It's one of my deepest fears to end up in those kind of shenanigans and I hope those heir hunters end up in the 7th circle of hell.

Elder law is the law/policy area that tries to set up protections for this sort of poo poo, as well as the parallel systems of abuse occurring in retirement homes/facilities. It's one of those areas where state legislative fixes and best practices exist and just need to get passed into law; NAELA is, iirc, the organization that's most affiliated with efforts toward reform on these issues, though frustratingly like a lot of legal practice orgs they seem more focused in promoting the services of their members.

It might be beneficial for the thread to identify other such exploitation/scams around these issues, and resources to prevent or address them.

edit: Pennsylvania and Maryland both have had task forces on these issues. DOJ has a dedicated initiative at https://www.justice.gov/elderjustice. It has a lot of resources.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU