Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hi thread. Was venting about a pretty messy situation in the legal A/T thread and was made aware this exists. Am getting my poo poo sorted ASAP, have left this way too long to be considered a responsible human adult.

Don't suppose anyone has special knowledge of Canadian estate planning ITT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nonexistence posted:

Most posters here are American or European, but procedures frequently parallel so if you post the situation someone may be able to say words in response that are less than useless to you

Thanks. After reading through the thread, and being introduced to the idea of trusts (which looking into it do exist here as well), my partner and I are thinking that, instead of filling out the kit my "legal" consulting benefit from work provided, we're just going to a practice with specialization in estates. So there the only question I have right now is, of the two firms that come highly regarded, one is a small (2 attorney) practice just down the street, and the other a large (55 lawyers) local firm with an office several blocks away. As I see it, the small firm comes with the personal touch, whereas the larger firm is full service with estate planners, financial planers, etc, all on call although communication can go off sometimes and presumably is spendier. I've worked with the larger firm before on condo bylaw revisions so I'm leaning there but I'd be happy for the threads experiences with large vs. small practices.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nonexistence posted:

Is this just a messy knot of estate bureaucracy that needs to be unwound or fiduciary litigation where you're out significant money if you lose?

We have two issues at play. I'm just talking about setting up our own estate (which I have left undone for far too long) here. The other issue which triggered my exasperated post in legal is a different estate that needs to be settled. On that matter my partner is starting with a consultation with a lawyer in the jurisdiction relevant, and will go from there.

Arcturas posted:

55 isn't all that large when it comes to law firms. You can still very much get the personal touch there. I'd assume the 2-person firm is slightly cheaper, but that's not always the case. I'd honestly go with whichever firm has people you feel more comfortable with on a personal level, unless there's a large disparity in hourly rates/flat fee rates for the work you're doing.

That's good to know! I have also heard back from the consulting company that oversees a workplace benefit that I have which provided the will kits that I also have my own free 30 minute consult with council about our specific needs, so I'll be checking them out too. It comes with a 25% discount with their firm should we go with them to write everything up, which would be nice for comparison if anyone posted their fee rates (nobody posts their fee rates).

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Good firms and attorneys will absolutely tell you their hour rate or flat fee right away here in US.

Arcturas posted:

You don't post your rate publicly anywhere because you want flexibility to change it willy-nilly and don't want your competitors to undercut you, but it will absolutely be the kind of thing you're very comfortable telling a potential client about in the first conversation.

Just had our first meeting and it was one of the first things disclosed. And a very good rate was given to us via a work benefit, so will get this done shortly.

A bit odd thinking about being dead but eh, will happen sooner than I want anyway so best to avoid the hell my partner's family are going through right now.