Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

PerniciousKnid posted:

Mom wants to know what I think about doing a living trust through https://www.integratedtrustsystems.com. I guess the idea is that the documents are viewable and modifiable online, and also it's cheaper because it's in Nevada (out of state). Anybody heard of this or know if it's legit?

Never heard of it. I would just get a local lawyer. Cheaping out on an estate plan to an out of state electronic platform that may not account for local rules seems like a false savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Evil SpongeBob posted:

$3300 for 2 trusts (one for insurance and assets, one for 401k and IRA) plus all the medical stuff.

Interesting that they're doing a second trust for the retirement assets. I've usually seen those not included in the trust and just done by designating a beneficiary (which I think could be the trust itself).

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Generally your bank wants to hear from you directly on things like that. So it's not really something you could pay to have handled for you. I suppose you could have someone else do it with a power of attorney, but that'd probably be an even bigger pain at the bank. As spwrozek said, double check with your attorney to see if all your accounts really need to go in, if you're finding it too onerous. Here in California the main concern is just to keep total probate assets (i.e., assets not in the trust or with a designated beneficiary on the account) below $184,500 (and no real property) so you don't trigger probate.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I will say, though, that how big of a pain it is depends entirely on your bank. For Ally and Fidelity it was as easy as filling out a form and submitting it online. For crappy banks like Bank of America or Wells Fargo you probably have to go into a branch.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I live in a community property state, 100% of someone's stuff is their spouse's stuff

50%. You can bequeath 50% of your community property and the other 50% is your spouse’s.