Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

All from Wrestle Kingdom 16, 1/4, night 1:

WMOTYC: EVIL vs. Ishii
MOTYC: Okada vs. Takagi
MOTYC: Shibata vs. ~MYSTERY MAN~
MOTYC: Desperado vs. Hiromu
HM: Dangerous Tekkers vs. Goto & YOSHI-HASHI

My third Wrestle Kingdom, the worst so far, but still sets a good bar for the rest of the year. Despy and Hiromu elevated to MOTYC for me when they started throwing those closed fist punches out of sheer intensity. I originally hoped that was going to close out the feud but now I'm OK with it going another year. I liked the tag championship match but we really need to get G1 ZSJ into these tag matches, he's too good to be the perennial guy who takes the beat down before Taichi saves him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WMOTYC
3rd January
All Japan New Year Wars Night 2
Purple Haze (Devil Murasaki & Izanagi) vs Total Eclipse (Kuma Arashi & TAJIRI)

This is extremely TAJIRI booking. Devil Murasaki is a loving terrible gimmick & I think i'm officially done with sports tape comedy spots done by people who aren't Toru Yano.

Izanagi AND Kuma deserve better than thus

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

AJPW New Years War Night 2 January 3rd
MOTYC
Runaway SUPLEX (Shotaro Ashino and SUWAMA) (c) vs NEXTREAM (Kento Miyahara and Yuma Aoyagi) - AJPW Tag Team Championships
- SUWAMA is very obviously past his prime now, but the other three guys are great enough that they're are able to cover for him when he needs to slow down. NEXTREAM are in the running for the best stable in the world, they only have four members but all four rule. This match ruled, only mistep I saw was around 20 minutes in where Ashino slipped when going for a corner suplex, but that's small beans when taken with the rest of the match (and also having Kyohei as the ref. gently caress you, you slow counting old man).

2nd this. Although I'm a bit higher on Suwama than SG is, I think he's slowing down but is Still more than good enough. Just no more Triple Crown reigns please.

I actually feel upbeat about All Japan after these 2 shows this week. Yuma has been successfully elevated to the main event scene now, Ashino is undercontract, Kento is still great, you have Koji Doi & Kuma Arashi who aren't at the level but I think Doi could be a legitimate TC challenger without too much booking effort. The Saito Brothers are about to go to MLW for a while and are improving noticeably every time you see them. They still have access to 2AW, BJW & GLEAT talent. Rising HAYATO is going to have his first title shot, Atsuki Aoyagi looks like an ace of the Juniors in the future, I'm assuming Akira will be back at some point.

If the booking doesn't get in the way of things it's an exciting promotion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MOTYC: Hangman Adam Page (C) vs. Bryan Danielson for the AEW World Title - AEW Dynamite 1/5

Picked right back up from their hour-long draw and kept up the same quality, with wonderful callbacks to that first match and notable matches of the past (including to one of the judge's own career), both these guys are insanely good. Crazy match, hot crowd, great finish. Hell yeah.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Hangman Adam Page (C) vs. Bryan Danielson for the AEW World Title - AEW Dynamite 1/5

Picked right back up from their hour-long draw and kept up the same quality, with wonderful callbacks to that first match and notable matches of the past (including to one of the judge's own career), both these guys are insanely good. Crazy match, hot crowd, great finish. Hell yeah.

Seconded. Amazing match

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

Nth

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Nth

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Absolutely wonderful. Nth.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jerusalem posted:

beginning to think these two dudes are good at wrestling (nth'd)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jerusalem posted:

Nthd, this might have been better than the first round.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

nth

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Nth; they took the first match and built on it in different ways, which was cool.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Nth. A goddamn war.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i will update this post as the year progresses. i don't bother with HMs. if i nominate something MOTY then it is because i believe it is the best match i've seen this year, further nominations mean that i think it displaces my previous MOTYC. the same goes for WMOTY noms.

MOTY: Katsuyori Shibata vs Ren Narita, NJPW WrestleKingdom in the Tokyo Dome n1

Shingo Takagi vs Kazuchika Okada, NJPW WrestleKingdom in the Tokyo Dome n1

Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom in the Tokyo Dome n2

Hangman Adam Page vs Bryan Danielson, AEW Dynamite Jan 5 2022

WMOTY:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
MOTYC: MJF vs. Shawn Dean, AEW Dynamite 1/5

You know I'm right

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Benne posted:

You know I'm right

HM: MJF vs. Shawn Dean, AEW Dynamite 1/5

I cackled at 1:40am, so will give it a HM instead

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

You know I'm right

nth

Also MOTYC: Page vs. Danielson, but let's be real, MJF vs. Dean is the match of the year.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Benne posted:

You know I'm right

Context is very important for these things, so nth.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Benne posted:

You know I'm right

I'm not going to nominate this but I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Benne posted:

You know I'm right

nth

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
WMOTYC: Jade Cargill vs Ruby Soho, TBS Title Match, AEW: Dynamite 1/5/22

So I was thinking about this for like 5 minutes on if I wanted to nominate this or not. Like the match itself...existed, but I think putting the title on Jade was the wrong decision. Felt like the title should have gone on Ruby even if just for a little bit, to ignite a bit of fire for the new belt. But the botches and the finish being...a thing did not help anyone involved in this match. AEW putting the title on Jade right now is a massive gamble considering how green she is still.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

So I was thinking about this for like 5 minutes on if I wanted to nominate this or not. Like the match itself...existed, but I think putting the title on Jade was the wrong decision. Felt like the title should have gone on Ruby even if just for a little bit, to ignite a bit of fire for the new belt. But the botches and the finish being...a thing did not help anyone involved in this match. AEW putting the title on Jade right now is a massive gamble considering how green she is still. Even if Ruby had won, I don't think people would have been opposed to a heel like Serena getting it shortly after.

Match was decent and got the crowd big for the closing minutes, in no way was this the "worst match of the year" candidate.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
WMOTYC: Ruby Soho vs Jade Cargill for the TBS Championship AEW Dynamite 1/5
Grading AEW on a curve, but this was not good. Heatless, poorly paced and sloppy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah i'm not giving it even a HM but it was in no way a bad match, just an okay one. excited to see some different matchups happen in the future

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

It was slow and sloppy but not outright awful. The Women's triple threat on NXT was miles worse.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

So I was thinking about this for like 5 minutes on if I wanted to nominate this or not. Like the match itself...existed, but I think putting the title on Jade was the wrong decision. Felt like the title should have gone on Ruby even if just for a little bit, to ignite a bit of fire for the new belt. But the botches and the finish being...a thing did not help anyone involved in this match. AEW putting the title on Jade right now is a massive gamble considering how green she is still.

It's ok, neither of them were from Japan

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 16 05.01

Bad Billy may be a bellend, but he sure can wrestle. And incedentally so can Okada. Legit instant classic.

Nth

I was texting a buddy who rarely watches NJPW around the halfway mark about how this is almost as good as last night's main event and then they went to that magical place and I'm pretty sure my texts became just nonsense enthusiasm from then on. This was unreal.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
HM: Jurassic Express vs. The Lucha Brothers for the AEW World Tag Team Championship, AEW: Dynamite 1/5/22

Good match, brought back a dead crowd. Some awkwardness in the middle preventing a full MOTYC nomination.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Lucha Bros v JB & Lucha Dino, sorry about your arm Fenix

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Punch McLightning posted:

HM: Lucha Bros v JB & Lucha Dino, sorry about your arm Fenix

Yeah. Nth.

Jerusalem posted:

Also nth. What a match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kevino07 posted:

HM: Jurassic Express vs. The Lucha Brothers for the AEW World Tag Team Championship, AEW: Dynamite 1/5/22

Good match, brought back a dead crowd. Some awkwardness in the middle preventing a full MOTYC nomination.

4thed, really good match with a lovely ending but also Fenix's arm fuccccck :gonk:

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

Yah — I can’t nth this cause of the outcome although I agree with you, it was just a very clumsy match and your tournament finals shouldn’t be like that. The bar needs to be higher.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
MOTYC: Hangman Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson, AEW World Title Match - AEW Dynamite 1/5/22

I was unsure about the first match ending in a draw. I was a fool, because it lead to this. Absolutely incredible.

HM: Jurassic Express vs. The Lucha Brothers, AEW World Tag Team Title Match, AEW Dynamite 1/5/22

Really fun and would've been a MOTYC if not for Fenix mangling his arm (get well soon you gravity-defying bastard).

WMOTYC: Jade Cargill vs Ruby Soho, TBS Title Match, AEW Dynamite 1/5/22

Jade sucks. She might be good in a year or two but presently, she sucks. I like Ruby but she didn't do much better. A total mismatch and a terrible way to establish a new title.

Psycho Mantits fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 6, 2022

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Another nth for funsies. I loved their first match and it set an incredibly high bar for me that this one surpassed. I'm so glad Danielson can have these kinds of matches. ON TV FOR FREE.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jerusalem posted:

Kevino07 posted:

Kevino07 posted:

nth

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kevino07 posted:

I cackled at 1:40am, so will give it a HM instead

MOTYC

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

It's a candidate for "worst" at this stage yes because we're very early in the year, but it definitely suffered in comparison to the matches that came before and after. poo poo, I'm not saying it should be punished for not being at the standard of the Stardom match at the Dome show last night, but gently caress me, it definitely felt like both could have done a much better job.

The match against Rosa was probably Jade's best match to date, and this felt like a bit of a step backwards. It was just a very sloppy and disjointed match. Hopefully it's just a bad day at the office, and I suppose everyone has a bad day at the office every so often.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Not even gonna wait to finish Dynamite to nominate this one

MOTYC: Hangman Page vs. Bryan Danielson, AEW Dynamite, 05/01

They actually topped the first one holy hell

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: MJF vs. Shawn Dean, AEW Dynamite, 05/01

LMAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jerusalem posted:

Benne posted:

You know I'm right

Kevino07 posted:

Nth