Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I read Old Man and the Sea in high school so remember little about it other than the futility of humanity vs nature, but in the past few years I have climbed the mountain to see the Snows of Kilimanjaro, and said A Farewell to Arms. I count myself a big fan of Hemingway. Just started this last night and the prose has its own velocity, it just sweeps you along effortlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

A nice tour of a part of Paris I've spent time in, which helps create a clear setting for me so far. I've never been to Spain so we'll see if that will make a difference.

Have had Pernod. Never with a hooker. Er, that I know of

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Book good

Over halfway done, just finished fishing, time to bring on the bulls!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

About three quarters through and I'm just like, no Brett don't do...goddamnit :(

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Done. What I was really fearing would happen did not, but still. What utterly loving awful people. And wonderfully written, unvarnished, pulls-no-punches story telling.

Fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

CancerCakes posted:

Just finished the sun also rises today, it was good

I was actually feeling really stressed about the bullfight, because if this was another author Brett and Cohn's shittiness definitely would have got the kid killed. Instead, Jake is forever unwelcome in Montoya's hotel for his friends' crimes against aficion.

Yeah that's the outcome that had me squirming and fortunately it didn't happen.