Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I really do not like heavy ruck bullshit like loading up 70 pounds and stomping around unnecessarily, but about 35 pounds at a jog is kind of nice? It’s a weird thing that I hated when I was younger and then after an unrelated injury, worked on core and back strength a lot and now I kind of like and feel good from once a week running 5 miles or so with a 35 pound pack, maybe an easy 10-11 minute mile pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

mlmp08 posted:

I really do not like heavy ruck bullshit like loading up 70 pounds and stomping around unnecessarily, but about 35 pounds at a jog is kind of nice? It’s a weird thing that I hated when I was younger and then after an unrelated injury, worked on core and back strength a lot and now I kind of like and feel good from once a week running 5 miles or so with a 35 pound pack, maybe an easy 10-11 minute mile pace.

See previous statements about spines and meat slinkies. Every extra pound you weigh increases the (destructive) forces being exerted on your whole body, which is one of the reasons why running gets exponentially shittier the heavier you are instead of linearly. Now we add the confounding factors of it being in a pack so, even if you've basically got a 35lb bar strapped against your spine between your hips and traps, it's that much worse than even just gaining 35lbs. Bonus points, if you gained 35lbs of weight and stayed the same relative body fat percentage, a decent chunk of that new muscle would help cushion/support/distribute the increased impact and shear forces.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, that's why I stay at 35 pounds or less. The stupid heavy dismounted infantry patrol loads don't matter to me much. I will always have to be able to jog or sprint in weight. It is just part of the job, and doing this once a week or so, topping out at 5 miles or doing intervals over the past few years has resulted in my back feeling better, no knee issues, no ankle issues, stronger core and shoulders, especially when combined with weights and interval training rather and sprints rather than "all steady cardio run all the time."

It also helps that from my peak weight, I lost about 15-20 pounds, but am stronger overall. I had gone without weight for a while, but before a deployment to Iocations in Iraq, started getting more serious about ability to move while wearing kit. It's all part of the risk of this work, and for now I value being able to move with kit rather than avoiding ever wearing weight on me while moving. While getting to the nearest mortar bunker was rarely more than a 50-200 hundred meter dash, the movement to the serious bunker complexes if required was likely to be more than a mile, in full kit, with some inclines in between.

If I had to drop one weight training item, it'd be anything distance first. Doing agility drills (50-200 meters at a time) with weight is something I probably won't give up as long as I'm dumb and still in. Being able to get up, get down, run fast, pull things, etc, while wearing a vest are just too important and anecdotally seem to improve my overall balance and ankle resilience when doing common household/yard chores or hiking for pleasure or playing sports.

I did the "avoid weight, avoid distance running" game for a while in my 20s, and injuries were just worse and more common then. I've had less injuries and dropped chronic pain to near zero by keeping active with moderately heavy objects but not being boneheaded stupid about using too much weight or trying to compete for time (crossfit dumbassery).

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I don’t remember where I saw it, but I remember reading a study that found 35 lbs was about the sweet spot of training benefit vs potential damage.

Also the biggest problem with putting designated professional fitness trainers at each unit isn’t the expense (it would probably save millions over time), but the fact that those trainers will never outrank the E-8/9 that will decide to veto sensible plans at the drop of a hat.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I think you could work around that issue by having the fitness trainers report to higher and be simply detailed down to the level they actually service. This sort of scheme works elsewhere for small, niche roles.

e: floating this idea: if they're to be legit technical experts, why not a warrant as BN master trainer?

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 4, 2022

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Naked Bear posted:

I think you could work around that issue by having the fitness trainers report to higher and be simply detailed down to the level they actually service. This sort of scheme works elsewhere for small, niche roles.

e: floating this idea: if they're to be legit technical experts, why not a warrant as BN master trainer?

Because that would make too much sense, and then they would disappear when you need them.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Internet Wizard posted:

I don’t remember where I saw it, but I remember reading a study that found 35 lbs was about the sweet spot of training benefit vs potential damage.

Also the biggest problem with putting designated professional fitness trainers at each unit isn’t the expense (it would probably save millions over time), but the fact that those trainers will never outrank the E-8/9 that will decide to veto sensible plans at the drop of a hat.

Naked Bear posted:

Bingo. Stovepiped command structure plus warrants or something similar would be the only remotely workable solution, with an explicit mandate to break the current physical training culture over their knee.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
As a lazy fat body, if it were me, I’d get behind the “CWO’s in charge of PT” proposal. Luckily I’m a retired lazy fat body, so I say haha go suck a ruck you fucks.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Give everyone the same PT privileges as staff officers, ie go to the gym and do whatever the gently caress you want. Any XO attempting to start a staff PT program should get an article 15.

PT blows rear end when you have to spend 5 days a week doing some other assholes workout.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
every organized workout I did in the navy was a loving useless calisthenics session followed by light stretching and then going home. It was a stupid waste of time that provided almost no benefit, which was about par for every other command organized event that we did.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

"We Run everyday" wasn't just a line from a cadence

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

bulletsponge13 posted:

No disagreement- as someone who wore 40+lbs of kit through several Iraqi summers, hearing 50lbs being unrealistic struck me as an irritant. Ask me about my arthritis.

And just to clarify, I wasn't saying 50lbs is an atypical weight for a dismounted 11B. That's quite light. I was saying it is/was atypical to ever ruck in a real situation for almost every MOS, and the only people who should be doing insane ruck marches are dismounted 11Bs (and others like that) because it is part of their mission. Hell, even most 11Bs in the operational force are in some kind of mounted unit.

Nimmy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 7, 2022

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

If I don't get a ride, I ain't going. :colbert:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

spacetoaster posted:

If I don't get a ride, I ain't going. :colbert:

The Tanker's Creed

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Death before dismount, suckas

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Has anyone else's leadership adopted group text as the primary means of information dissemination?

It's seriously annoying because there is no prioritization of information. Everything is just a stream of consciousness about every little thing, regardless of importance.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You don't have a cell phone.

I don't think they can require you to get one. I say gently caress 'em.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
If uncle Sam wanted you to receive texts he'd issue you a cell phone.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

bulletsponge13 posted:

We legit have one old guy who didn't so they either made him/provided him with a bargain basement one so he could stay in contact.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PeterCat posted:

We legit have one old guy who didn't so they either made him/provided him with a bargain basement one so he could stay in contact.

F in chat for that guy. I bet he died a little bit inside when that got foisted onto him.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Cell phones might be among the worst things that have happened to the DoD. When I got to my first duty station overseas, pretty much nobody had them and only had land lines + an answering machine, and everything was dandy. Somebody doesn't answer their phone? Fuckit, call 'em later, and if it's really important, send someone to their home.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

PeterCat posted:

Has anyone else's leadership adopted group text as the primary means of information dissemination?

It's seriously annoying because there is no prioritization of information. Everything is just a stream of consciousness about every little thing, regardless of importance.

Yes, I hate it. It gives an out to lovely planners who are now free to change poo poo at like 2000. "Go home, I'll text what is happening tomorrow" should never be uttered. The Army is so predictable, it's bullshit I have to be on call until I go to bed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hot Take: After taking the new ACFT format with plank, age/gender categories, uh, score is almost exactly the same for me as a generic dude while being less hostile to people who can't do pullups or who are petite women who weigh about 2/3 what I do. I suck at throwing the ball, and I know it's like 80% just form, but I kind of refuse to buy a ball and practice in my back yard like a dweebo.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Lacks heart, has no desire to just loving send it. Recommend against promotion.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Looks like Sig is making the next gen weapons

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tech/army-selects-sig-sauer-next-generation-squad-weapon/

I had a chance to take an armorer class for the 9mm MPX and hopefully the XM5 shares a lot of the QoL improvements over other AR platforms. Other than that it doesn't seem to really bring any new technology. The XM250 (next gen saw replacement) has a reciprocating barrel that is supposed to absorb recoil. I can't tell from the pictures how to change the barrel though. And then there is the 80k max PSI for each round...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wrong Theory posted:

Looks like Sig is making the next gen weapons

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tech/army-selects-sig-sauer-next-generation-squad-weapon/

I had a chance to take an armorer class for the 9mm MPX and hopefully the XM5 shares a lot of the QoL improvements over other AR platforms. Other than that it doesn't seem to really bring any new technology. The XM250 (next gen saw replacement) has a reciprocating barrel that is supposed to absorb recoil. I can't tell from the pictures how to change the barrel though. And then there is the 80k max PSI for each round...

Reciprocating barrel? I see what looks like a gas tube or piston but a reciprocating barrel suggests recoil operation. What's going on here?

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

A.o.D. posted:

Reciprocating barrel? I see what looks like a gas tube but that suggests recoil operation. What's going on here?

Watch the video on the site, you can see it moving backwards. The article mentions it as well, I am not entirely sure of the magic going on here.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wrong Theory posted:

Watch the video on the site, you can see it moving backwards. The article mentions it as well, I am not entirely sure of the magic going on here.

That has to be recoil operated. What a throwback.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
XM250 looks cool.

Not stoked about the heavier XM5.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

This is like the third time they've picked replacements in the last 20 years.

If it does go through, I foresee a short service life that 2/3s of will be desperate life support, like the M14.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Welp thanks Internet for ruining me. Been neck deep in IPPS-A testing and vacancies are now called Job Openings so JOs are all over the place. Gonna have to tell people to charge their crystals before PCSing

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nothing like having the SARC comeback from training and launch into a tirade about "I had to spend 5 days listening to how only women are victims, but the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard trial proves that men can be drugged and raped too!"

What a great guy to have as the victim's advocate.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

bulletsponge13 posted:

My Soldiers don't stay in the Company doing fuckall until 1900 anymore because the PSG is waiting for a meeting or a phone call, and I'd rather not go back to the days they would have to do so.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

PeterCat posted:

Nothing like having the SARC comeback from training and launch into a tirade about "I had to spend 5 days listening to how only women are victims, but the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard trial proves that men can be drugged and raped too!"

What a great guy to have as the victim's advocate.
It's weird, because a number of SHARP training classes I've been to point out it can happen to dudes, too.

Still, while i instructed at AIT our BN SARC wasn't the type to believe women.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'm confused, what is the proper method of doing the Hand Release Push up? Do you put your hands out to your sides make a T or just lift them off the ground?

I am seeing conflicting Army videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7WEyYQRPC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX7339XfbSM

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Out to the aide to form a T. Hands do NOT have to be held off the ground, floating. Within some level of reason, you can do this slowly to maintain rhythm and keep your shoulders from burning out.

“Movement 3
Arm Extension HRP – immediately move both arms out to the side straightening the elbows into the T position. After reaching this position, the elbows bend to move the hands back under the shoulder.”

If they some day clarify that you have to hover hand it, I will be very annoyed.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

There is something darkly funny about this, but I can't put my finger on why.

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us...mHYn-r_eYop5_9g

"US Army Alaska to be reflagged as airborne division amid surge in troop suicides"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

PeterCat posted:

There is something darkly funny about this, but I can't put my finger on why.

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us...mHYn-r_eYop5_9g

"US Army Alaska to be reflagged as airborne division amid surge in troop suicides"

Someone committed suicide in the smoking booth outside of the mental health building when I was at Wainwright. I’m sure having AIRBORNE added to the unit name would have changed that outcome, somehow :rolleyes:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The army's response in that article is one of the most demoralizing things I think I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Look, all these troops need to do is pull up their boot straps and hunt the good stuff, hooah!