Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

At first I thought the Symphony episodes weren’t as good as the flashback episodes, but the show wrapped them all together into a beautiful package that gives those earlier episodes a lot more meaning. I didn’t even catch the St Deborah’s On The Water callback in Jeevan’s maternity ward episode — which was just amazing. I give them real props for having a birth shown, and making the viewer experience that with Jeevan for the first time.

The whole narrative is built out of layers of all these different, beautiful scenes. I think this is a miniseries that will only get better when you rewatch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sure but they’re also by the Great Lakes. There are a lot of different waters and they have a lot of places by them.

“By the water” encompasses 100,000 square miles.

She's sending him messages from the place that will become "St. Deborah's on the Water". It's absolutely a deliberate reference. That's how this show does things.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Someone in the AV Club comments said that Tyler mentioned the child suicide bombers weren’t his idea, and they did it of their own volition while he was incapacitated post-stabbing. I guess this was in episode 6? I must have missed it but he did do a lot of mumbling in that episode. It does make sense, their leader has just been stabbed and they’re on edge and have been drinking the Kool-Aid too much and interpret Tyler’s teachings in that way. Plus that could be the impetus for his face turn, as he sees what his teachings have done.

Commenters also theorised that the girl with the bag of mines Kirsten talks to at the end was the ringleader of that whole thing, and that by reaching out to her she stopped her from blowing more stuff up. Gotta say, it makes a lot of sense, and gives us another great connection.

Basically I’m pretty cool with that side of it now.

When Kirsten confronts Tyler again in the factory he tells her that when he was wounded he couldn't control the narrative and the kids made up their own in his absence.

Patrick Somerville indicated there were more scenes of the landmine girl that were cut that showed she was the ringleader of the narrative with the Pingtree bombing.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

And in Jeevan's conversation with the lady on the radio earlier in the episode he asks her where she is and she says "by the water".

:eyepop:

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Just started binging this and every scene with young Kirsten breaks my heart. I have a daughter the same age and just the logic she follows is so spot on. After discovering her parents are dead (which she doesn’t really understand, says it’s a weird text, she is worried she doesn’t know how many days until Christmas

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Geekslinger posted:

When Kirsten confronts Tyler again in the factory he tells her that when he was wounded he couldn't control the narrative and the kids made up their own in his absence.

Patrick Somerville indicated there were more scenes of the landmine girl that were cut that showed she was the ringleader of the narrative with the Pingtree bombing.

Ok yeah so this show has no flaws basically.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Danger posted:

Just started binging this and every scene with young Kirsten breaks my heart. I have a daughter the same age and just the logic she follows is so spot on. After discovering her parents are dead (which she doesn’t really understand, says it’s a weird text, she is worried she doesn’t know how many days until Christmas

This is maybe the scene from the entire show which sticks to my memory the most. That was just such a visceral scene to watch.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Escobarbarian posted:

Basically yeah.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
In case you didn’t cry enough last night, they released the soundtrack yesterday and listening to Matilda Lawler sing “The First Noel” has me sitting here bawling in front of my laptop thinking about Kirsten trying to celebrate Christmas having just lost her parents.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean, it's arguably a flaw that they didn't include aformentioned scenes. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the children.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Escobarbarian posted:

Someone in the AV Club comments said that Tyler mentioned the child suicide bombers weren’t his idea, and they did it of their own volition while he was incapacitated post-stabbing. I guess this was in episode 6? I must have missed it but he did do a lot of mumbling in that episode. It does make sense, their leader has just been stabbed and they’re on edge and have been drinking the Kool-Aid too much and interpret Tyler’s teachings in that way. Plus that could be the impetus for his face turn, as he sees what his teachings have done.

Commenters also theorised that the girl with the bag of mines Kirsten talks to at the end was the ringleader of that whole thing, and that by reaching out to her she stopped her from blowing more stuff up. Gotta say, it makes a lot of sense, and gives us another great connection.

Basically I’m pretty cool with that side of it now.

I caught Tyler's claim about the bombings the first time and sorta waved it off? I wasn't sure if we're meant to believe him, and it didn't fully absolve him in my eyes. But I wasn't bothered by his incremental redemption in the first place.

(Having finished the series, looking back I think we are absolutely supposed to believe Tyler.)

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The final episode left me really not feeling great and has been sitting with me for awhile in a negative way. That can and should be the point of some art, but it’s a bit of a bummer when the rest of the show made me feel so different. Reminded me of Melancholia for some reason.

The scenes with Miranda were brilliant.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

straight up brolic posted:

The final episode left me really not feeling great and has been sitting with me for awhile in a negative way. That can and should be the point of some art, but it’s a bit of a bummer when the rest of the show made me feel so different. Reminded me of Melancholia for some reason.

The scenes with Miranda were brilliant.

Why? It's pretty much the opposite in tone from the end of Melancholia....... I thought the end was very hopeful.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

mcmagic posted:

Why? It's pretty much the opposite in tone from the end of Melancholia....... I thought the end was very hopeful.

Yea. Kirsten being able to say goodbye to Jervam was like the core resolution of the show. Pure catharsis.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Just getting around to watching this.

Really excellent show.

E3 spoilers. I guess David Cross really.. blue himself there at the end :haw:

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
As someone who enjoyed, but ultimately kind of bounced off of the book, I really liked the changes in the series.

Especially since I just loved Young Kirsten and Jeevan. YK especially had great presence for a kid and I was honestly surprised I hadn’t seen her in something else.

The only thing that didn’t work for me as well as in the book was the Miranda backstory episode, but that ended up coming together in the end (her stuff might have been my favorite part of the book, though).

I guess I also felt like a number of characters should have been doing more follow up on that whole mine situation than they seemed to be doing (on-screen at any rate).

On the other hand, the actual theater stuff in the books got little tedious and I felt it worked better for me here. Even the outrageous costume design was justified by YK’s ridiculously elaborate Station Eleven costumes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pascallion posted:

Especially since I just loved Young Kirsten and Jeevan. YK especially had great presence for a kid and I was honestly surprised I hadn’t seen her in something else.

She was in a pretty decent indy horror movie that came out on Netflix earlier in 2021, The Block Island Sound. Not bad for a pretty cheap horror movie, but she's not in it much. Definitely not as much chance for her to stretch her acting chops as she got here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm on episode 4 and so far it's very good overall, but the the whole thing with the cult kids with mines strapped to them was unexpectedly corny and it was kind of jarring.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We may have a very different definition of “corny”

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I'm kinda with it feeling somewhat out of place with what the show ended up being. Also makes it a lot harder to reframe the prophet's children stealing and indoctrination program as something alright/positive.

like yeah it wasn't your idea buddy but you still kinda took and hosed up these kids bad enough that they wound up thinking kid suicide bombers were a good idea.

Overall loved how it ended though. Kirsten gets to see Jeevan and never again has to deal with the most annoying girl in the world.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Escobarbarian posted:

Someone in the AV Club comments said that Tyler mentioned the child suicide bombers weren’t his idea, and they did it of their own volition while he was incapacitated post-stabbing.

[spoiler tags added]

Geekslinger posted:

[spoiler tags added]

Escobarbarian posted:

oh god oh gently caress posted:

like yeah it wasn't your idea buddy but you still kinda took and hosed up these kids bad enough that they wound up thinking kid suicide bombers were a good idea.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and I agree with oh god oh gently caress (lol).

I love the show, but I think the issue with the suicide bombing thing is that Tyler doesn't seem all that remorseful, and the show doesn't seem to have a problem with this.

I can buy that it wasn't his idea/plan and therefore he's not as culpable, but I feel like, "Yes, it sucks, but actually it wasn't me," is a failure to engage with the things he did that were hosed up and which, bluntly, were ultimately what led to a literal child suicide bombing. The show is shying away from him dealing with the consequences of those actions. And, this is especially the case if the show is also trying to argue that one of the reasons he's "forgiven" (as it were) is that he genuinely cared for those kids.

Again, I love the show, but for me it's the one flaw to the narrative and ethical logic of the ending that just sorta feels wrong.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

hey mom great having you back say hi to my army of child soldiers

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

oh god oh gently caress posted:

hey mom great having you back say hi to my army of child soldiers

haha the little rascals went and suicide bombed someone last week using my collection of land mines; i convinced them they have some kind of supernatural purpose. well anyways, we do have fun. thanks everyone for being cool about it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Crisco Kid posted:

Regarding the Lakes, well... yeah. That's why they can do an annual circuit with plenty of stops, but repeated and specific phrases are such a frequent motif in the show that the wording there is definitely a narrative choice.

Other random observations:
I love how all the main characters are artists. That's an awesome, subversive choice for a post-apocalypse setting. Yeah, they can do a lot of other stuff, but art is a part of so many characters' stories. Even "I create content" Jeevan, who ends up both using a cane like Frank and being a doctor like his sister.

There's something very Canterbury-esque to to it, not just in motif but in structure. And it really holds true in execution because even in the darkest dark-ages of our past, societies have produced and consumed art and entertainment - theater is drat near a constant for us as a species.
I think if anything it actually rings a lot truer than a lot of post-apocalypse stuff that assumes we'd instantly descend into subterranean cannibals or whatever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

We may have a very different definition of “corny”

I mean they are straight up talking like children of the corn and it was very horror movie-esque.

It felt kind of out of place in a show that is otherwise very much a drama. Maybe it works out overall but in that moment it felt a bit corny to me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

veni veni veni posted:

I mean they are straight up talking like children of the corn and it was very horror movie-esque.

It felt kind of out of place in a show that is otherwise very much a drama. Maybe it works out overall but in that moment it felt a bit corny to me.

That is powerfully not how anyone else I've ever met uses the word "corny". Which, hey, sure, I ain't telling nobody how to talk I'm not the King of English, but I think this is where the confusion is coming from. "Corny" is usually used for heart-on-your-sleeve romance lines and stuff like that, in my experience.

May I suggest "camp" as an alternative? Does that capture what you mean?

I'd still disagree but then we'd at least be having a conversation, because right now it's like if you told me a scene was "scaly" or something where I don't even know what that means.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No. It’s a perfectly fine use of the word corny. It’s true you are not the king of English.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

veni veni veni posted:

It’s a perfectly fine use of the word corny.

Yeah. I mean it's a weird and confusing usage of it, but that's fine.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a perfectly cromulent use of the word

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pretty sure esco was taking issue with the fact that I found it corny and he didn’t in the first place, not the context I used the word in lol.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually do agree with everyone else but I didn’t wanna keep the pile-on going

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Escobarbarian posted:

I actually do agree with everyone else but I didn’t wanna keep the pile-on going

Very corny of you

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

God this sub forum sucks. Allright, later dweebs.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

veni veni veni posted:

God this sub forum sucks. Allright, later dweebs.

You had a polite out (“O word, to me ‘corny’ means yaddayadda so…”) and decided to be a jerk about it instead.

Even in your “corny” = “reminiscent of Children of the Corn” definition, what’s that mean? Like, that there are creepy cult kids? Well yeah, that is a thing that happened on the show but that’s not a discussion, it’s summarizing a plot point. You’re just saying a thing is like a thing, which is true, you can do that but no one is gonna understand why you brought it up unless you elaborate.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it was literally ‘corn’-y

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

People having huge meltdowns instead of admitting that they made the slightest mistake (exposing their vulnerability) is pretty much the core of the show so this thread is just echoing the form

and you don't get the (high-fructose) saccharine resolution until you can

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Wait, the alternate definition of corny wasn't a joke? I'm so confused.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Maybe someone can shank this thread, then walk away without checking if it actually died.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

People having huge meltdowns instead of admitting that they made the slightest mistake (exposing their vulnerability) is pretty much the core of the show so this thread is just echoing the form

and you don't get the (high-fructose) saccharine resolution until you can

So you're saying it's the "core" of not taking the "knee" of admitting a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The bombing stuff does feel kind of out of place with how the rest of the story goes.

Also with the exception of finding out what happened to Jeevan I'm not sure the story really gained anything by being told out of order like it was.