Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The book does the same thing so maybe they were trying to keep the flow somewhat similar in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
the show is good and no one in history has ever used the word "corny" to mean "like those kids from children of the corn"

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I really enjoyed that series a lot more than I expected to. I mean, like, it had its issues, like everything does, sure, but overall it was just really good. I don't really think my criticisms are even worth getting into that much, given how much they're outweighed by what I liked.

How much different is the book, like--if I enjoyed the series would I also enjoy the book, perhaps even more? Also, it's just a single novel, right? I ain't got the time or desire to dive into a series

Edit: will probably have more to contribute discussion-wise after I've caught up with the thread

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 29, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I really enjoyed that series a lot more than I expected to. I mean, like, it had its issues, like everything does, sure, but overall it was just really good. I don't really think my criticisms are even worth getting into that much, given how much they're outweighed by what I liked.

How much different is the book, like--if I enjoyed the series would I also enjoy the book, perhaps even more? Also, it's just a single novel, right? I ain't got the time or desire to dive into a series

Edit: will probably have more to contribute discussion-wise after I've caught up with the thread

The book is really good and broadly similar. The biggest differences are mostly just in how it uses the medium so it has knock on effects for pacing and stuff like that ; the book explores some stuff that works better when you can pause and get into people’s heads that the show glosses over and the show has lots of good visuals that try to encapsulate those themes but are doing their own thing. It’s actually a great case study in adaptation because they both behave similarly thematically but wind up being expressed differently.

O and the book is infinitely more Canadian. So much more Canadian.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Xiahou Dun posted:

The book is really good and broadly similar. The biggest differences are mostly just in how it uses the medium so it has knock on effects for pacing and stuff like that ; the book explores some stuff that works better when you can pause and get into people’s heads that the show glosses over and the show has lots of good visuals that try to encapsulate those themes but are doing their own thing. It’s actually a great case study in adaptation because they both behave similarly thematically but wind up being expressed differently.

O and the book is infinitely more Canadian. So much more Canadian.

Lol yeah I saw it was set in Canada cause I Googled it before I watched it. I first I thought it still was, but yeah, got straightened out on it shortly.

That sounds like my kinda thing. I do love looking at adaptations and the way they're done (did a whole course on it in college--was hard af cause we had to read at a pace that was light-years faster than I am used to reading, personally, but still it was very enlightening). Lately I've been reading Leviathan Wakes from the Expanse series and am loving the comparison to the show, and one thing it does is flesh some stuff out more in exposition, like you suggest Station Eleven does, so yeah. Like. I like seeing how things get reconfigured, added, omitted, etc, but I especially like seeing how some expository details get translated to the screen or don't (except in reverse order I guess). Ya know, general adaptation poo poo that in retrospect I didn't really need to elaborate on. Sorry.

wizardofloneliness posted:

I like any show that has a Bill Callahan song.

Yeah! That was nice, even though I feel like they chose it solely because of the "my apocalypse" line(s), which is kinda... so, like, this is kinda part of a larger issue I had with it, but like that felt kinda hamfisted, or on-the-nose? There are other songs of his that coulda fit just as well if not better, but anyway. Not a big deal, was still nice to hear him used.

Show has pretty decent music in general, really. I don't know enough about music to really comment on the score, but the few like, pre-existing songs that have been used have been good.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

muscles like this! posted:

The bombing stuff does feel kind of out of place with how the rest of the story goes.

Also with the exception of finding out what happened to Jeevan I'm not sure the story really gained anything by being told out of order like it was.

I almost quit after this episode, glad I pushed past it. There are significantly fewer exploding children in the back half of the show.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
tbf, it's understandable if all that was left of society is theater people doing Shakespeare

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Jabronie posted:

tbf, it's understandable if all that was left of society is theater people doing Shakespeare

That feels super optimistic. I imagine a lot less Shakespeare and a lot more evangelizing or something. At the mildest.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
After the various magical realism-esque effects sprinkled through the first three episodes (such as the mic/reverb on the independence day soliloquy), the child bombing scene was so completely incongruent with what I'd interpreted the tone of the show to be that it nearly turned me off to the series. TBH I was expecting puppets more than that. Either way, IMO this show is fantastic top to bottom - the writing, acting, cinematography, and also the sets + costumes. It would've been really easy to get extremely dystopian with the costuming and setpieces, and instead they showed the post apocalypse like being stuck at a lovely summer camp. The ingenuity of the Symphony stage costumes really jumped out to me - they're all great but specifically the golf glove stole was fantastic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jeevan's quick "So PRETENTIOUS!" at the comic after being mauled made me cackle so hard

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

It would've been really easy to get extremely dystopian with the costuming and setpieces, and instead they showed the post apocalypse like being stuck at a lovely summer camp. The ingenuity of the Symphony stage costumes really jumped out to me - they're all great but specifically the golf glove stole was fantastic.

There's an official HBO podcast about the show, and one episode they had on the person who did the costumes. She talked about how they would watch a lot of existing post-apocalyptic shows to see what aesthetics to specifically avoid, but also that the movie Hook was one of the things they took into account.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I recommended this to someone recently and she liked it a lot overall, but she wasn't very impressed with Mackenzie Davis despite liking her in other stuff. She said she did a lot of "bug-eyed overacting". I liked Davis and wouldn't say she was overacting, but now that I'm thinking about it, she's not wrong about the :stare: thing.

Anyway, we both agreed that Danielle Deadwyler was the real MVP of the show. Matilda Lawler was great too, but it's all about Miranda. The two Kirstens have gotten most of the press, but I think Deadwyler/Miranda was far and away the most engaging of the characters and performances (Frank was real good too). It actually took me a little while to warm up to her though, I remember being bored initially with the third episode and just wanted to get back to the present day stuff instead of focusing on some random person's bad marriage.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Danger posted:

the show is good and no one in history has ever used the word "corny" to mean "like those kids from children of the corn"

I couldn't stop thinking about this thread while watching The Expanse, which was also very kingly (adjective derivative of Stephen King).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've only enjoyed Mackenzie Davis in Halt and Catch Fire, everything else I've seen her in I've thought she was either bad or only okay. Including Station Eleven which I love with all my heart.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Chairman Capone posted:

There's an official HBO podcast about the show, and one episode they had on the person who did the costumes. She talked about how they would watch a lot of existing post-apocalyptic shows to see what aesthetics to specifically avoid, but also that the movie Hook was one of the things they took into account.

I’ve been listening to the podcast too and it’s so interesting to learn about all the decisions that went into each scene. I definitely got Hook vibes from Alex for sure!

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
This is the worst show I have watched every episode of. The characters are very annoying.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've only enjoyed Mackenzie Davis in Halt and Catch Fire, everything else I've seen her in I've thought she was either bad or only okay. Including Station Eleven which I love with all my heart.

she was the best part of that terrible new terminator

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LibCrusher posted:

This is the worst show I have watched every episode of. The characters are very annoying.

Wow I can’t believe this was only your second ever show after The Sopranos

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I thought Mackenzie Davis did a great Ana De Armas impression in Blade Runner

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
She's great in San Junipero, though that's perfect casting which always helps.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I sat through Tully for that woman.

And she was the best part of that crappy movie. Which, admitted, low bar.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bananaquiter posted:

I couldn't stop thinking about this thread while watching The Expanse, which was also very kingly (adjective derivative of Stephen King).

I could actually tell this was filmed in Canada because I recognized a bunch of people from The Expanse. The bearded leader of the symphony was the captain of The Canterbury. The black cop in the airport was the man that Bobbie met on Earth that was waiting for his slot to become a doctor. The guy that did the Independence Day speech for his audition was Admiral Duarte.

We will not vanish without a fight. We will survive!

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 31, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Cross-postin'

Barry Foster posted:

Finished Station Eleven last night, after seeing it mentioned in the previous iteration of this thread.

Absolutely beautiful, profoundly moving. I loved it.

In a lesser series, stuff like Jeevan surviving and meeting Kirsten again, or Dylan reconciling with his mum and Clark would've come off as trite, but I really thought it earned that resolution. Unlike a lot of post-apoc media, it actually has the courage to depict growth, healing and catharsis. It respects its characters enough not to just relentlessly abuse them.

I was really leery about starting the series when I learned what the premise was - because I thought what I wanted and needed right now was escapism from, y'know, global respiratory disease pandemics - but I was totally wrong about what I wanted and needed.

Station Eleven's message is pretty stark, but highly apropos for 20micron22. We will never have it the same way again. The pre-pandemic world is never coming back. But that doesn't mean we can't learn to better empathise with others, to overcome trauma, and - both in spite of and because of extraordinary adversity - even rise to become our better selves.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The deadline for the 2021 TVIV poll is tonight so let’s get this amazing show a lil more love https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3988330

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Seems like a lot of work to justify my top 10 list with words.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You only gotta write like a sentence if you want

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The ending sat right with me until I started thinking about the fact that Tyler strapped bombs to children and used them to blow up their dad, who just happened to be one of the closest friends of the traveling circus- and he's likely done poo poo tons more given the wanted posters spread around the area

Like, I get that the show emphasizes forgiveness and growth but uhh, dude does a part in a play and everyone is just like "yeah it's cool bro go ahead and take all those kidnapped children back into the woods with you, murders forgiven"

I'm not saying that frontier justice should have been exacted on the spot but....the ending doesn't really click as well thinking about those kids.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
He says he didn’t know about any of that and the show seems to imply he’s telling the truth.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
So it was another non-introduced unaffiliated faction? I guess I must have seriously missed something.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

So it was another non-introduced unaffiliated faction? I guess I must have seriously missed something.

You missed the whole stabbing part prior to the bombs. Dude was dying in that tower when she brought him meds

Glad I found this thread. Show was easily up there with The Leftovers in best shows of all time for me

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pascallion posted:

He says he didn’t know about any of that and the show seems to imply he’s telling the truth.

Yeah, Taylor says that while he was injured one of the children started messing with the story and the implication is that it is the girl at the end who steals the book from Kirsten.

Also the soundtrack to this is very good, especially this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj9-hx4Pgzg

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pascallion posted:

Yeah, it wasn't his fault, it was just his army of weird child cultists he stole and raised picking up landmines and fitting them into the bizarre narrative he indoctrinated them into.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mu Zeta posted:

Jeevan's quick "So PRETENTIOUS!" at the comic after being mauled made me cackle so hard

No joke, that one line raised my opinion of this show immensely.

I didn't realize there was a S11 thread and was talking about it elsewhere, but yeah the show is mostly great but also tries so hard to be profound that IMO it often veers into self-parody. It earns it, I suppose, because most of the cast are self-important artiste types with strong "undergrad theatre major" energy. But there are only so many twee eccentricities I can take in a story before I start to disengage with characters. Like Alex deciding, "I wanna be free and I'm tired of being scared of life, so I'm gonna take off through a minefield, bye!" Or pre-pandemic Miranda deciding, "I know how I'll stick it to my lovely cheating boyfriend: I'll quote my screenplay at him during a dinner party, then pour wine all over the floor, then burn down his pool house with my art inside! Take that, rear end in a top hat!"

Jeevan is the best part for me, and the Kirsten/Jeevan/Frank plotline is crazy good. Episode 7 in particular is loving devastating. I wasn't emotionally invested in Tyler, but I do think the Hamlet family therapy session was clever.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Yeah, it wasn't his fault, it was just his army of weird child cultists he stole and raised picking up landmines and fitting them into the bizarre narrative he indoctrinated them into.

I don't think we're meant to fully acquit Tyler, but he didn't directly carry out or order the bombings.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Sure. But it’s just enough distance it doesn’t ruin the show for me, which it otherwise might have.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Wait, so the show was trying to convince us that a little girl figured out how to arm and detonate land mines and went rogue, ordering the kidnapped girls to suicide bomb their parents?

That is somehow worse if that was the writers' intent lol

Like how in the hell would anyone in the museum or the troupe believe that version of events, without the advantage we have of being the audience?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I'm pretty baffled by Tyler and the Undersea and what they are all about. And I missed the part where Tyler said he didn't order the bombings. The show says it all when Clark says "what the gently caress" at the end when he sees all the kids walking away.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Wait, so the show was trying to convince us that a little girl figured out how to arm and detonate land mines and went rogue, ordering the kidnapped girls to suicide bomb their parents?

I'm not sure the show cares who really did it, only that Tyler (just barely?) didn't, so it's whatever you want it to be!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I'm pretty baffled by Tyler and the Undersea and what they are all about. And I missed the part where Tyler said he didn't order the bombings. The show says it all when Clark says "what the gently caress" at the end when he sees all the kids walking away.

It's definitely easy to miss, it's like one mumbled line.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the main idea with his group was that he was trying to keep the new post generation from just doing the same thing over again. Like he used the story of Station Eleven as an example of the futility of being stuck in a loop.

For me the thing that was confusing about the show was what was going on with Enrico Colantoni's character. He left with the fake DHS guy and then apparently some time in the 20 years he just came back and lost his memory? I don't know what they were trying to do there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I cleverly avoided that problem by not recognising him in the 20 years later part