Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

For me the thing that was confusing about the show was what was going on with Enrico Colantoni's character. He left with the fake DHS guy and then apparently some time in the 20 years he just came back and lost his memory? I don't know what they were trying to do there.

Yeah, this is the big sticking thing for me, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

I'm not sure the show cares who really did it, only that Tyler (just barely?) didn't, so it's whatever you want it to be!

It's definitely easy to miss, it's like one mumbled line.

Fair enough, but I think "oh well we can't really know for certain" wouldn't really be a convincing argument for how the survivors treat Tyler, which is basically 'we should be careful around him' but nothing else.

It's a little detail I know, but still- in a show that's all about trust and the power of relationships, it seems like this was overlooked or handwaved away. The scene where Gil gets murdered would be far less affecting on a rewatch because apparently no one really cares it happened.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

pokeyman posted:

I don't think we're meant to fully acquit Tyler, but he didn't directly carry out or order the bombings.

Like the great philosopher Jimmy "The Tulip" Tudeski once said:

It's not important how many people I've killed, what's important is how I get along with the people that are still alive.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah he's Charles Manson but with child soldiers and in the post apocalyptic world, I think Charles Manson gets hanged or shot instead of hugged before leading his child army into the woods.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, this is the big sticking thing for me, too.

It’s just a lil touch of surrealism I think. I was hoping they wouldn’t actually explain it, so I was happy

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a Polonius from Hamlet thing that got a bit lost in the edit, I think.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Fair enough, but I think "oh well we can't really know for certain" wouldn't really be a convincing argument for how the survivors treat Tyler, which is basically 'we should be careful around him' but nothing else.

It's a little detail I know, but still- in a show that's all about trust and the power of relationships, it seems like this was overlooked or handwaved away. The scene where Gil gets murdered would be far less affecting on a rewatch because apparently no one really cares it happened.
So, let me begin by saying I think this is a genuine weak point in the show.

That said: what I think the show is going for regarding the forgiveness thing is summed up when Tyler asks Kirsten why she's helping him, and she says "stabbing you didn't work" or something to that effect. As in, they did try to just murder him, for what appear to us as extremely obvious reasons, but, well.. it "didn't work."

She doesn't just mean she failed; she means that this method of justice is untenable in some way. And part of that, I think, is related to what Tyler was trying to do with the kids and the comic book. He keeps repeating that the past "doesn't exist" because from his perspective that's what led to stuff like them shooting that poor lone survivor from the other plane. Instead, we need a clean break from that past system which is clearly hosed up.

Of course, Tyler is also partly wrong there and you can't *simply* escape the past. Because... he's Hamlet ("The time is out of joint, O cursed spite / That ever I was born to set it right") You have to somehow acknowledge that past while discovering a new "role" to perform, whatever it is. (Just like at the end of Hamlet, the standard changing of the guard and succession is all borked, and Fortinbras and something new is coming but no one who's still alive really knows what that means.)

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

DirtyRobot posted:

So, let me begin by saying I think this is a genuine weak point in the show.

That said: what I think the show is going for regarding the forgiveness thing is summed up when Tyler asks Kirsten why she's helping him, and she says "stabbing you didn't work" or something to that effect. As in, they did try to just murder him, for what appear to us as extremely obvious reasons, but, well.. it "didn't work."

She doesn't just mean she failed; she means that this method of justice is untenable in some way. And part of that, I think, is related to what Tyler was trying to do with the kids and the comic book. He keeps repeating that the past "doesn't exist" because from his perspective that's what led to stuff like them shooting that poor lone survivor from the other plane. Instead, we need a clean break from that past system which is clearly hosed up.

Of course, Tyler is also partly wrong there and you can't *simply* escape the past. Because... he's Hamlet ("The time is out of joint, O cursed spite / That ever I was born to set it right") You have to somehow acknowledge that past while discovering a new "role" to perform, whatever it is. (Just like at the end of Hamlet, the standard changing of the guard and succession is all borked, and Fortinbras and something new is coming but no one who's still alive really knows what that means.)

Thank you for this response. I don't know anything at all about Hamlet, so I'm guessing that is impacting my understanding here somewhat.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

For me the thing that was confusing about the show was what was going on with Enrico Colantoni's character. He left with the fake DHS guy and then apparently some time in the 20 years he just came back and lost his memory? I don't know what they were trying to do there.

I didn't, either. My totally arbitrary head-canon is that he was lying and chose this explanation to justify it. He just wanted to start fresh and remake himself after the pandemic, wanted to be a different person now that the past is dead. And this is also why he was so personally invested in the Traveling Symphony, and interested in joining: he can become someone else all the time, remake himself as often as he needs to.

They offered no information, so I've essentially written fanfiction about him.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

He's just a little guy creeping around being weird

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mu Zeta posted:

Jeevan's quick "So PRETENTIOUS!" at the comic after being mauled made me cackle so hard

Mu Zeta posted:

The show says it all when Clark says "what the gently caress" at the end when he sees all the kids walking away.
These were my favorite moments of the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Naylenas posted:

He's just a little guy creeping around being weird

hosed up little man

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The best part of the show was Jeevan and Kiki interacting. Those scenes were so incredibly sweet and Jeevan's building frustration at being fully responsible for her felt real and very much earned. Having them reunite at the end was great and the wordless hug they shared was the highlight of the series for me. Davis can act with just her eyes and she nailed it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What's everyone talking about with this St Deborah’s On The Water thing? I just finished the show (it was incredible) but couldn't follow the posts in this thread about it. I promise I'm not a dumb dumb.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The best part of the show was Jeevan and Kiki interacting. Those scenes were so incredibly sweet and Jeevan's building frustration at being fully responsible for her felt real and very much earned. Having them reunite at the end was great and the wordless hug they shared was the highlight of the series for me. Davis can act with just her eyes and she nailed it.

Yeah. That whole timeline made me cry like a baby, that hug especially.

Also a big shout out to the whole "Jeevan learning to become a doctor" sequence, that really got me too. I really, really thought he was dead in the future timeline, because that's how these things usually go in postapoc stuff, so getting to see he didn't just survive but thrive and become the healer he was clearly supposed to be cemented my absolute love for this show. A lesser show would never have given him such a happy ending.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Jewmanji posted:

What's everyone talking about with this St Deborah’s On The Water thing? I just finished the show (it was incredible) but couldn't follow the posts in this thread about it. I promise I'm not a dumb dumb.

The Dr that helped Jeevan during the preggo episode was named Deborah, and one of the moms was the lady he spoke to on the ham radio that said she was “by the water” so that area became known as St Deborah by the water. That’s the statue they pass on the way in with the traveling symphony.

Lol don’t worry I didn’t catch this until some time after myself.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

The first city we see the symphony go to is st Deborah on the water with a statue of a woman holding a baby. When jeevan gets his ham call from the doctor he asks where she is and she says on the water. After the mass births jeevan asks terry her real name and she says Deborah

Efb

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yeah when they're entering the town in the second episode there's an old storage container with the logo of that store on it very prominently in the background.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You can infer that Kristen has probably heard a whole bunch about "Dr. Chaudhary" over the years but she knows that Jeevan is absolutely not a doctor, going back to their first interaction, and assumes it's someone else with the same last name.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

It's a fairly common South Asian name, as well. She could definitely have heard it and not felt any reason to ask if it's Jeevan or anyone related to him.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Even if it was uncommon, she could easily assume it was Jeevan's sister. (I forget if we see Jeevan mention anything about her to Kirsten, but I imagine it'd come up sometime.)

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

You'd think she'd ask about that, if she heard the name and assumed it was Siya. Probably wouldn't leave that one alone.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I was sad the podcast didn’t mention the ep.7 stinger line, which when you are sitting there with your bawling wife having been gutpunched yourself, it’s a little extra twist of the sadknife.

Spoiler: it’s just a single line by adult Kirsten saying something along the lines of “I just wanted to say thanks”

Vilos Cohaagen
Jul 25, 2007
THINK? I DON'T GIVE YOU ENOUGH INFORMATION TO THINK!

liz posted:

The Dr that helped Jeevan during the preggo episode was named Deborah, and one of the moms was the lady he spoke to on the ham radio that said she was “by the water” so that area became known as St Deborah by the water. That’s the statue they pass on the way in with the traveling symphony.

Lol don’t worry I didn’t catch this until some time after myself.

On rewatch, I loved this character so loving much. Fist time through I was just so invested in Jeevan’s safety that I couldn’t really appreciate this woman’s mission and the Herculean effort that her hope for the future would have required. Each time she gave that thumbs up when a moment of potential despair starting to creep back in, I legit felt hopeful. Also her dancing by herself to TLC in the lazy boy with the magnum of vodka.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

On a rewatch, Kirsten freaking out about the theater baby being eaten by wolves isn't as funny.

Also I didn't notice Gil was planning to leave Pingtree. What a dick.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On the latest episode of the Station Eleven podcast, Mackenzie Davis and Daniel Zovatto were on, and they did get a bit into Tyler's relationship with the children and how both he and the head writer viewer it. It didn't fully exculpate it to my satisfaction, but at least they did explain their thought processes a bit.

Patrick Somerville and Davis did half-jokingly talk about wanting to do a second season that would be a straight adaptation of the comic, but with the same cast. Damon Lindelof wanted them to write and publish the full comic, also.

The next episode is going to have the novel's author as a guest, which should be interesting.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

On the latest episode of the Station Eleven podcast, Mackenzie Davis and Daniel Zovatto were on, and they did get a bit into Tyler's relationship with the children and how both he and the head writer viewer it. It didn't fully exculpate it to my satisfaction, but at least they did explain their thought processes a bit.

It's such a frustrating podcast because they start down interesting paths and then stop short on every one. I don't know if they're ill prepared or only have the interviewees for 20min or what.

I mean, I realize almost all "official show podcast"s (and almost all podcasts, for that matter) are awful, so it's better than that, but I had such hopes.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Not necessarily a season two, but I'm trying to think about where they could have crammed in more episodes to make the show longer.

A soccer girl island episode.

An episode on the Gitchegumee plane.

An episode about lamp lady trying to break into every apartment to find the one with six shopping carts full of food.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jevan's story and its conclusion was definitely the best part. Tyler and the suicide bombers on the other hand didn't work that much for me.

Bananaquiter posted:

Not necessarily a season two, but I'm trying to think about where they could have crammed in more episodes to make the show longer.

A soccer girl island episode.

An episode on the Gitchegumee plane.

An episode about lamp lady trying to break into every apartment to find the one with six shopping carts full of food.

A sex island episode with the fake DHS agent

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A rival symphony performs Hamilton and Rent

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

pokeyman posted:

It's such a frustrating podcast because they start down interesting paths and then stop short on every one. I don't know if they're ill prepared or only have the interviewees for 20min or what.

I mean, I realize almost all "official show podcast"s (and almost all podcasts, for that matter) are awful, so it's better than that, but I had such hopes.

The Chernobyl podcast is basically required to watch that show.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Yeah, Taylor says that while he was injured one of the children started messing with the story and the implication is that it is the girl at the end who steals the book from Kirsten.

Also the soundtrack to this is very good, especially this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj9-hx4Pgzg

Dan Romer also did the soundtrack for Far Cry 5, which was Not A Good Game but the soundtrack was great. It has a similar vibe if you like the Station Eleven soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcGjc_bmjEM

Also the best line of the series was from Sarah in E8: "Say goodbye. You've gotta get better at that." :smith:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Chernobyl podcast is basically required to watch that show.

Was it? I thought I understood that show pretty well, but now you have me doubting it. What does it go into?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Was it? I thought I understood that show pretty well, but now you have me doubting it. What does it go into?

It's a standard show podcast, behind the scenes info about the production and backstory and why they made the decisions they made. However, it's way more informative than you'd expect, way better than the standard run of these things, way less fluff. I can't imagine watching the series without listening to it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It's a standard show podcast, behind the scenes info about the production and backstory and why they made the decisions they made. However, it's way more informative than you'd expect, way better than the standard run of these things, way less fluff. I can't imagine watching the series without listening to it.

O so it’s strictly necessary in the sense of being so useful that you’d be silly to not listen, not “you literally can’t follow the narrative without this” like I thought you meant. Word. I was confused cause I understood and liked the narrative as presented and thought it was a good (brief, dramatized) encapsulation.

I’ll give it a listen. Been meaning to rewatch the show anyway cause Jared Harris can talk physics to me for years as far as I’m concerned. Love that guy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I don't think you can follow the narrative without it. I think Chernobyl is a wonderful show that you can certainly enjoy without listening to the accompanying podcast but it (the podcast) is intrinsic to understanding the events and how they're shown on screen.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I don't think you can follow the narrative without it. I think Chernobyl is a wonderful show that you can certainly enjoy without listening to the accompanying podcast but it (the podcast) is intrinsic to understanding the events and how they're shown on screen.

How so? Cause I’m really pretty sure I did.

(Or we can take this to PMs or whatever. This is me seriously confused because I’m pretty dang sure I followed the story. )

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I don't think that's true in general, but if it helped then that's great! Agreed it's a rare Actually Decent Official Show Podcast.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

How so? Cause I’m really pretty sure I did.

(Or we can take this to PMs or whatever. This is me seriously confused because I’m pretty dang sure I followed the story. )

Talking about specific elements on screen, when and why they differed from historical events, why specifically they merged certain historical figures into one or two characters. Narrative things, on-screen things, so many things just behind what we're shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I don't think you can follow the narrative without it.

This is a ridiculous statement