Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Whoops sorry please edit my post to be a monologue about the cost of lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

pokeyman posted:

I mean, I realize almost all "official show podcast"s (and almost all podcasts, for that matter) are awful, so it's better than that, but I had such hopes.

The official podcast for The Good Place is another really great one. They usually have one actor and one of the crew for each episode and there's really good stuff in there about costume design or other details about production. Also, it's hosted by Marc Evan Jackson.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

The Chernobyl podcast is good lisitening because the dude who wrote the show has a podcast himself, about screenwriting, that has over 500 episodes.

The show runner for station 11 seems insanely chill. His vibe alone makes me wanna check out maniac.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

The Chernobyl podcast is good lisitening because the dude who wrote the show has a podcast himself, about screenwriting, that has over 500 episodes.

The show runner for station 11 seems insanely chill. His vibe alone makes me wanna check out maniac.

Maniac is very good but a very different show from Station Eleven

Station Eleven is an ambling dream and Maniac is recurring nightmare that gets a little stranger each time

It's also very funny though

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I watched this show mostly on the strength of Maniac.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Maniac will definitely make you feel ways about stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't think you can follow the narrative without it. I think Chernobyl is a wonderful show that you can certainly enjoy without listening to the accompanying podcast but it (the podcast) is intrinsic to understanding the events and how they're shown on screen.

If this were true Chernobyl would not have been nearly as popular or acclaimed. It’s not like it’s some cryptic thing.

Anyway I liked this show but I found the early pandemic segments much more interesting than the Traveling Symphony ones. Maybe I just find all the theater people annoying (Lori Petty was perfectly cast as the most unbearable type) and I agree that they totally biffed the Undersea thing (Clark’s last line being “what the gently caress?” as they depart was very relatable). I also gave the Walking Dead several seasons of goodwill based on the pilot so I guess I just love a sudden societal collapse story. Mackenzie Davis’ constant bewildered expression also bothered me but that’s a minor gripe.

All around really good series. Definitely a similar vibe to the good seasons of the Leftovers. Every music choice made me laugh, I think somewhat intentionally on the part of the music supervisor. Jeevan is MVP.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Watching Station Eleven, I thought it had a very similar tone to the 2012 magic realist indie movie Beasts of the Southern Wild... but it took until listening to the final podcast episode to realize that they both had the same composer, Dan Romer. I feel both kind of dumb, but vindicated, on that.

Didn't realize he also did Maniac... and Dear Evan Hansen, haha.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I really enjoyed the soundtrack. I've had these two tracks going round and round my head for weeks now (which sucks because I'm starting to get sick of them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psjdH42qIM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj9-hx4Pgzg

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hey guys you too can now pretend to weather the apocalypse in a Chicago high rise :

https://lakepointtower.org/for-sale/

(not the same unit but definitely similar).

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Kingtheninja posted:

Hey guys you too can now pretend to weather the apocalypse in a Chicago high rise :

https://lakepointtower.org/for-sale/

(not the same unit but definitely similar).

Honestly not as expensive as I expected given how overly inflated my suburban house is.

I wonder where they symphony hunkered down for the winter? Maybe it's covered in the book.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Bananaquiter posted:

Honestly not as expensive as I expected given how overly inflated my suburban house is.

I wonder where they symphony hunkered down for the winter? Maybe it's covered in the book.

I thought the same thing but I don't think it's as nice looking as the show unit. Though it being Chicago, I expect a million just for the view.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

well after 30 years I've finally gained the ability to cry on cue, every time, without fail

just need to keep this loaded up on my phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1R96IO60VM

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Whaddyaknow, I guess I can too now…

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

God Hole posted:

well after 30 years I've finally gained the ability to cry on cue, every time, without fail

just need to keep this loaded up on my phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1R96IO60VM

:hai: :unsmith:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What clip is it? Paramount block it over here

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's the part where they do "Midnight Train To Georgia" arranged for sousaphone and voice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kingtheninja posted:

I thought the same thing but I don't think it's as nice looking as the show unit. Though it being Chicago, I expect a million just for the view.
Yeah it's not as luxurious but still. Is it in a ghetto or something? That's not far off from my eastern european shithole apartment if it were proportionally larger lol.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

What clip is it? Paramount block it over here

The scene where Kirsten and Jeevan reunite.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah it's not as luxurious but still. Is it in a ghetto or something? That's not far off from my eastern european shithole apartment if it were proportionally larger lol.

It's downtown Chicago on the lake, I think the only building on that side of the lakeshore drive so it's weird those units aren't going for more. I don't know the ins and outs of downtown Chicago living (I lived closer to the cubs stadium north of downtown) but there are some 2bd units going for 6-700k.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
I loved this series so I read the novel and… well it’s different. And I think the show is about 1000x better.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Bananaquiter posted:

it seems like the symphony exclusively sleeps in tents so maybe they just have a bunch of 4 season gear for the winter. you could survive just fine with that stuff but life would still completely blow. a caravan like that would probably go through a ton of wood too and it would be a huge daily chore.
could be that the communities they visit in winter are a bit more accommodating too.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Exodor posted:

I loved this series so I read the novel and… well it’s different. And I think the show is about 1000x better.
I think based on character sympathies it's almost impossible to watch the show and then read the book and really enjoy it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Anyone know if this is getting a physical release? I really liked the show but it's only available in Canada through a godawful service that streams in 720p

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
In the UK you have to have two subs to watch this. Amazon Prime and then pay extra for the Starz channel on there. No one will see this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I loving hate StarzPlay so much. Stop stealing good shows and making it so Brits won’t watch them you sacks of poo poo

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i just watched this and i can't remember the last time i rolled my eyes so hard watching something

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
That is the one thing I would delete from the show.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DirtyRobot posted:

I think based on character sympathies it's almost impossible to watch the show and then read the book and really enjoy it.

I’m late and just discovered this thread. I watched the show and loved it and then read the book. It was kind of difficult because the book is so different.

I did still like the book, but found the show immensely better. I’ll spoiler this since it’s book chat.

I didn’t like how disconnected most of the characters were. He’s an interacts with Kirsten at the play for like a few pages and then never sees her again. Kirsten and the prophet exchange maybe 5 lines of dialogue. Elizabeth leaves with Tyler and is never seen again.

I guess the show just had so much more time to explore things, but the book did feel a little disjointed. Like Jeevan doesn’t even need to exist in the book.

I still thought the book was interesting, but the show elevated it. Maybe the book just needed to be longer. I did read it very quickly.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
As I see it, the book is basically *about* this network of characters with these brief but significant connections and that’s what makes it unique.

So in a way the show betrays the most fundamental aspect of the book by building these relationships between characters.

In the end, though, I think the show is way better than the book. So just maybe there’s a reason most stories are about relationships between characters…

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i just watched this and i can't remember the last time i rolled my eyes so hard watching something

So PRETENTIOUS

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pascallion posted:

As I see it, the book is basically *about* this network of characters with these brief but significant connections and that’s what makes it unique.

So in a way the show betrays the most fundamental aspect of the book by building these relationships between characters.

In the end, though, I think the show is way better than the book. So just maybe there’s a reason most stories are about relationships between characters…

Enh, I really liked that as the thrust of the book and thought it was the superior way to handle it in a book.

But I also like that the show changed that up and had the characters more interconnected because that’s generally more compelling in television where you have actors.

I stand by my (annoyingly constantly) recurring statement that this is a perfect example of adaptation because it changed things specifically in ways that support the medium and let them both shine. A book lets you have a colder, more detached omniscient observance of events and that way of portraying the story worked really well there. But a show has actors that you can see and hear, and more importantly the actors can see and hear each other so giving them more time together gives you a set of tools you don’t have in a book.

Now someone might like one more than the other or they might be more affected by one, but that’s just a fact of subjectivity and interpersonal variance, just how a certain theme or genre might be more resonant with someone and that doesn’t make it “stronger” in some kind of objective sense (in as much as you can talk about objectivity in art).

So when you say you think the show is better, do you actually believe the show is of a superior quality to the book, or do you mean the that the storytelling used by the show is of a more effective type to make you appreciate what is the same thematic content?

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Those are all good points.

But I do think the show is a much better show than the book is a book.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

mobby_6kl posted:

It’s in probably the most expensive part of Chicago and those prices seem really cheap. It might be because Lakepoint Towers is a fairly old building now and the assessments might be really high. Chicago is expensive, but nowhere near NYC or California expensive.

Pandemic may be lowering prices too. It’s right next to Navy Pier, which has been shut down off and on lately. It’s also not super close to transit. You’d really only want to live there if you worked in the nearby neighborhoods as driving in and out of there kind of sucks.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Took me fuckin long enough but I finally watched this show. It's so good that I spent so much of my first watch crying and gasping that I'm now catching so much more on a second watch.

Episode 2 right now and I gasped again when I heard the sound of young Kirsten shouting for Jeevan when adult Kirsten dives under water. And there's tons of moments like that so far already. I think it's gonna be a good second watch.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
Finished my first watch through a few days ago. I'll set aside the effusive praise and get to what's still bouncing around my head.

I would say that Tyler is not redeemed. His placement as Hamlet in the narrative indicates to me that he is supposed to be sympathetic but not necessarily "good". A similar story would be (bear with me) Shadow Weaver from the She-Ra reboot. She begins as an out and out villain, and slowly comes to work alongside the good characters, but her story ends before her atonement is complete. The show chooses not to depict what he does with the Undersea after they leave the airport. Perhaps he makes the circuit and returns them, perhaps not. The show chooses that ambiguity. Given that a major theme is prodigal children, I can make a guess.

Did anyone else pick up on Arthur -> Art? A lot of the characters' relationships to him seem to parallel their relationship to creativity. Miranda is married to Art(hur) and she's obsessive about her comic. Clark seems to be in love with Arthur, but can never quite be with him. I have yet to come up with parallels for Kirsten and Elizabeth, but I think there's something there. I dunno, is this too obvious or corny or is there something here?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So much of the story is about art and our relationship to art so I get it. For Kirsten, he was arguably her mentor in the performance world, right? Teaching her that art.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Thanks for upping this thread. It's making me want to rewatch the miniseries again. It's been one of those shows that has stayed in my head ever since watching it. Even though it only partly aired in 2022, I think it still might be my favorite show of the year.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Thanks for upping this thread. It's making me want to rewatch the miniseries again. It's been one of those shows that has stayed in my head ever since watching it. Even though it only partly aired in 2022, I think it still might be my favorite show of the year.

It's definitely my favourite show of the year, although Severance and Andor are close contenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Fell on this series randomly and it ended up my favorite series of all time. Like, my life was genuinely enriched by this thing.

Having not read the book I have no idea of the strength of the adaptation but this, by itself, was amazing. Any of the wild stuff I just took as magical realism and I’m dumb enough to have not noticed any huge plot holes.

Learned from this thread that the town earlier in the series was named for the doctor (also sainted) and that’s a retroactive tearjerker for sure. Also not sure how to rewatch this without crying though every scene.