Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Hi!

Kilonum here, I'll be your tower controller at Tblisi, making sure you guys don't crash into each other on takeoff/landing (you're on your own the rest of the time). I'll also be guiding you in if the weather turns to crap.

Reminder: the airspace below 10,000ft within 50km of the airfield is mine, along with all the taxiways. The instructions I give you are intended to get you on mission, and on return, safely on the ground.

I will be very angry if any Russians get within 100km of the field :mad:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

After an intensive team meet with DandyWalken, our INTSPEC, and a bottle of Brennivin, we have his thoughts on the border.

According to Dandy, the political situation is such that Russia considers Abkhazia to be pseudo-Russian and will treat violations of Abkhazian air space as violations of Russian air space. So we have a conundrum. This is where it gets difficult, quoting Dandy directly here :

quote:

There's a "IM NOT TOUCHING YOU!" vibe with Russian and Georgian aircraft atm, but nobody has outright breached. There isn't a DMZ or a mutually agreed gap not to violate, so things more or less follow the river. Abkhazian airspace intrusion is to be avoided, and its expected Russia will see such as intrusion into their own airspace at this time. That situation is bound to change in the future, but for the time being its a needless provocation and also would incite Russia to move its MiG31's etc closer to the AO.

Normally I'd advocate for a border weapons release policy that kept the Russians wary, but the escalation to MIG-31's, or an additional squadron of Flankers, really puts us at a disadvantage.

So to clarify, do not engage targets in Russian, or Abkhazian air space. Should the political situation evolve then we will re-evaluate.

Clarification Edit from our Intel Team :

Dandywalken posted:

I believe the ROE is to not chase aircraft across the border, but the moment one releases a weapon at friendlies it becomes a valid target as long as the border isnt violated by our aviation.

This is likely to change upon the conclusion of such an attack, with hypothetical future operations allowing preemptive CAP on their side of the river, aircraft ID confirmation permitting.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 8, 2022

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
This begs the question then, are Strike craft allowed to engage ground threats on the Abkhazia side of the bridges?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Oof, that really hampers the CAP flights' ability to keep the strike planes safe. They'll be operating pretty close to the front line and the Russians will absolutely sling missiles at them from standoff range, but we're not allowed to engage unless they physically fly across the river? They'll be effectively untouchable because they'll never have any reason to fly into Georgia.

Seems like once the Russians fire at NATO planes, all bets should be off regardless of which side of the river they're on, and we're well within our rights to prosecute targets in Abkhazian airspace to keep our own pilots safe.

EDIT: drat I should have made this post in-character as a salt-of-the-earth Hard Military Man arguing with some weenie State Department flunkie about how you just don't understand what it takes to fight a war, SIR :911:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 8, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I believe the ROE is to not chase aircraft across the border, but the moment one releases a weapon at friendlies it becomes a valid target as long as the border isnt violated by our aviation.

This is likely to change upon the conclusion of such an attack, with hypothetical future operations allowing preemptive CAP on their side of the river, aircraft ID confirmation permitting.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hi y'all :wave:

I just put my name down for the 15th. I re-installed DCS after a long brek and am re-familiarizing myself with all the procedures. So far I'm comfortable again with all AA weaponry and unguided GA weapons. I'll familiarize myself with the mission for my flight and set up the radio, discord, and so forth.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jazzahn posted:

This begs the question then, are Strike craft allowed to engage ground threats on the Abkhazia side of the bridges?

Dandywalken posted:

Current ROE:
Air-2-Air: Do not fire on any aircraft that is in Russian airspace. Any non-friendly airplane over Abkhazia and Georgia has to be confirmed hostile through Air Battle Management.
Air-2-Ground: Military vehicles that are near, or about to cross, the bridges that are marked, or already on Georgian side are to be destroyed. No cluster munitions due to civilian considerations. We do NOT want to destroy the bridges. The enemy units will be destroyed before or right after the bridge.

Un-entrenched advancing or staging units on the Abkhazian side are fair targets if they are within reasonable distance (~1.5km) of the bridgehead.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hi, I'm Forums Terrorist, Airgoons nerd-strordinaire Military Legal Advisor to the Irish Air Corps. I've been invited by NATO as an impartial observer to make sure this thing's fought nice and clean from a legal point of view. There are some limits on the use of certain weapons all flights should be familiar with for legal/political (and technical) reasons.

Of the countries in the coalition, the following are not signatories of the Cluster Munitions Coalition: Finland, Georgia, Greece, and the United States. This means that only Jedi 1 (335th, Tiger Squadron, Greek), Devil 1 (Hävittäjälentolaivue 11, Finnish), Pontiacs 1/2 (123rd Fighter Squadron/VF-101, American), and Enfield 1 (Mixed Aviation Squadron, Georgian) may use cluster munitions such as CBU-87/97s (plus their wind corrected guided variants) and the KMGU dispenser. Everyone else cares too much about mangled kids so you get nothing!

THAT SAID, in DCS MP ripping off sticks of cluster bombs has a tendency to make servers poo poo the bed and lag out clients, so even when permitted and called for I strongly urge restraint in their use. I will leverage my authority to boot people that ruin everyone's time by crashing the mission through reckless cluster spam.

Secondly, of the countries in the coalition the AGM-154 JSOW is only used by Greece, Finland, and the US, so only Jedi 1, Devil 1 and Pontiacs 1/2 may use them as applicable. Finally, of the users of the SLAM and SLAM-ER the only one in the coalition is the US, so only Pontiacs 1 and 2 would be eligible (if they could carry it; they can't). Everything else, go hog wild.

(For this first mission political considerations take clusters off the table, but I decided to put this up to strike a balance between banning known "problem weapons" and everyone just obliterating entire formations with impunity. Besides the performance issues of cluster bombs, the SFW is a significant part of what makes the A-10C the one plane army that it is, and the JSOW/SLAM/SLAM-ER standoff missiles tend to trivialize missions which is boring. By invoking real world-ish restrictions on who can use them I'm hoping to strike a balance where they're still there for situations that call for them like stemming tides of Russian armor or sniping heavily defended command bunkers, but otherwise limited enough to avoid causing issues.)

To recap:

-Su-25Ts have free weapon choice, following mission restrictions
-Only Greek Vipers get clusters and JSOWs, following mission restrictions
-Only Finnish Hornets get JSOWs, following mission restrictions

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 9, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Planning Map

Overall Flight Map

Each layer can be turned on, or off, just click the check box on the left. I'll be adding to this as time goes on. This is a "big picture" kind of map, please follow orders per your individual flight leads. As more intel arrives, or once we learn of threats during the mission, I'll adjust accordingly.

I know every pilot is itching for a scrap, but please let Weasel flight sanitize the air defenses a bit. Be very cognizant of ground threats as the advancing units are likely to have a whole slew of nasties in tow.

Forums Terrorist made a great post about specialty munitions. EU-NATO has requested zero cluster weapon usage. The AGM-154 is seen as a significant escalation in munitions and is not authorized at this time.

Still need flight plans for :

Devil 1 (Jarmak)
Devil 2 (Snapshot)
Pontiac 2 (Vähäkylä)

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Devil 2 will be following devil 1’s lead.

(I’m both working on the missions/campaign, and gap filling in the flights, so I don’t want my advance knowledge impacting the plans. Devil 2 will act as a 3rd element to devil 1)

Snapshot fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 8, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Snapshot posted:

Devil 2 will be following devil 1’s lead.

(I’m both working on the missions/campaign, and gap filling in the flights, so I don’t want my advance knowledge impacting the plans. Devil 2 will act as a 3rd element to devil 1)

Rock on my dude. I noted it on the OOB on the map.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Forums Terrorist posted:

Of the countries in the coalition, the following are not signatories of the Cluster Munitions Coalition: Finland, Georgia, Greece, and the United States. This means that only Jedi 1 (335th, Tiger Squadron, Greek), Devil 1 (Hävittäjälentolaivue 11, Finnish), Pontiacs 1/2 (123rd Fighter Squadron/VF-101, American), and Enfield 1 (Mixed Aviation Squadron, Georgian) may use cluster munitions such as CBU-87/97s (plus their wind corrected guided variants) and the KMGU dispenser. Everyone else cares too much about mangled kids so you get nothing!

Technically, the CMC wasn't ratified until December 08, which is four months away.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

Hi, I'm Forums Terrorist, Airgoons nerd-strordinaire. There are some limits on the use of certain weapons all flights should be familiar with for both narrative (legal/political) and technical reasons.

THAT SAID, in DCS MP ripping off sticks of cluster bombs has a tendency to make servers poo poo the bed and lag out clients, so even when permitted and called for I strongly urge restraint in their use. I will leverage my authority to boot people that ruin everyone's time by crashing the mission through reckless cluster spam.

Secondly, of the countries in the coalition the AGM-154 JSOW is only used by Greece, Finland, and the US, so only Jedi 1, Devil 1 and Pontiacs 1/2 may use them as applicable. Finally, of the users of the SLAM and SLAM-ER the only one in the coalition is the US, so only Pontiacs 1 and 2 would be eligible (if they could carry it; they can't). Everything else, go hog wild.

For this first mission political considerations take clusters off the table, but I decided to put this up to strike a balance between banning known "problem weapons" and everyone just obliterating entire formations with impunity. Besides the performance issues of cluster bombs, the SFW is a significant part of what makes the A-10C the one plane army that it is, and the JSOW/SLAM/SLAM-ER standoff missiles tend to trivialize missions which is boring. By invoking real world-ish restrictions on who can use them I'm hoping to strike a balance where they're still there for situations that call for them like stemming tides of Russian armor or sniping heavily defended command bunkers, but otherwise limited enough to avoid causing issues.

To recap:

-Su-25Ts have free weapon choice, following mission restrictions
-Only Greek Vipers get clusters and JSOWs, following mission restrictions
-Only Finnish Hornets get JSOWs, following mission restrictions

Interesting. As Jedi 1-1 I may fly up with some CBU-97s/WCMDs in case there is a large push on one of our objectives. I'll have to get authorization from mission command before dropping, of course.

Gnoman posted:

Technically, the CMC wasn't ratified until December 08, which is four months away.

Or we can be the catalyst for the CMC :getin:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So if a Russian plane lobs a missile across the border into Georgia its a valid target. But NATO planes can't cross the Russian border in pursuit?

What about missile launches into Russia, will that violate the RoE?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Alright folks little late getting started but lets get into it.

I’m Jarmak and I’ll be leading Devil flights. This will consist of multinational “squadron” with the Finnish contingent acting as Devil 1, a 4-ship formation, and our Spanish friends providing a 2-ship flight for Devil 2. Consider this a WARNO, with further details to be briefed as more intel comes down.

As briefed, Russia is massing armored forces in Abkhazia along the Georgian border, and we fear that an invasion is imminent. Georgian forces have set to work fortifying positions at 6 key bridges along the Patara Enguri River, which follows the Georgian/Abahazian border. While tensions are high and we believe conflict to be inevitable, we are not yet at war; this flight will not be the ones to change that. Latest guidance on ROE is that we are only to engage Russian units if fired upon first, or they attempt to cross the border.

Devil flight will be providing overwatch and support for the Georgian troops occupying the westerly three bridges: Athens, Turin, and Beijing. In the event of a Russian invasion we will be tasked with relaying the location of the Russian main body to the Georgian tank-killers in Enflield flight, and preventing any Russian vanguard formations from penetrating across the Patara Enguri until reinforcements arrive. The operation will take place in 3, contingently 4, phases:

1 – Ingress

Devils 1 & 2 will depart Tbilisi in the AM at a specific time to be briefed, and proceed directly to WP1. Pilots will proceed at 250KIAS at FL50 until all Devil elements have rejoined formation. Travel formation will be a squadron trail, with individual elements staying in a wedge. Feel free to get as pretty with your formation flying as your skills/ambitions dictate, but try to stay within 2-5 NM of the element in front of you, and within 2 NM of your wingman. At this point we will climb at FPAS best to FL340 and cruise toward WP2, south of Senaki.

Passing WP2 we will conduct FENCE checks and turn in toward our targets. At this point Devil 1 will continue toward WP3 and Devil 2 will split off toward WP4. In order to minimize potential civilian casualties each flight has been given a waypoint 9-10NMs away from their target bridges that minimizes urban overflight; establish a ~5NM orbit at these points.

2 – Observe & Report

Once established in assigned orbits elements will begin overwatch of the following bridges, at assigned altitude:
Athens(WP5): Devil 1-1, 1-2; FL250-300
Turin(WP6): Devil 1-3, 1-4; FL200-240
Beijing(WP7): Devil 2; FL200-240

Hard deck is FL160, don’t get blown up by SHORAD.

If you must leave your orbit at any time, such as to prosecute an attack, make sure you are back at your assigned altitude before getting within 5NM of your waypoint. This only really matters for Devil 1, because they could be potentially attacking two different positions from the same orbit and we don’t want to run into each other.

Our number one priority during this phase is attempting to identify where the main body of the Russian armor force is massing in the event of an attack.

3- Conflict(contingent)

If a fight breaks out our first priority is to attempt to prevent any substantial penetration across the Patara Enguri. Target any units that make it to the Georgian side of the bridge. Our second priority will be to target any SHORAD systems that we identify in order to soften the target for the Georgian SU-25s that will be in bound in event the push comes through us. Depending on the situation some or all of us may collapse on a single bridge.

By current ROE we cannot cross into Abkhazian airspace or fire across the border unless fired upon first. This will likely change in the event of an attack, but follow it until we get the word otherwise. At higher’s discretion we may press into Abkhazian airspace and attempt to establish orbits directly over the target bridge(s).

4-Retrograde

Once RTB is called all Devil elements will rally at WP2 and then proceed to WP1 in preparation for landing at Tbilisi. Emergency divert airfield is Senaki, but be advised this airfield has fuel only; only Tbilisi has ordinance stores at present.

Details on tanker support will be fragged at a later time, but current intent is to not AAR.

Details on CAP support will be fragged at a later time

Tentative loadout is 9M/X, 2xGBU12, MavF, TPOD, Bag, 120C, Bag, 2xGBU12, 9M/X

If you are not proficient enough with the IR Mavs that it allows you to get warheads on foreheads extra-quick then replace that slot with whatever weapon system you think you are most proficient at getting out fast, the intent is to have something to quickly pounce on SHORAD threats engaging friendlies.

Details on communications plans will be fragged at a later time.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 8, 2022

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Not in this timeline! :v: More seriously, you're right, but this is mostly a cute way to keep people from mulching the server without completely taking toys away.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Cimber posted:

So if a Russian plane lobs a missile across the border into Georgia its a valid target. But NATO planes can't cross the Russian border in pursuit?

What about missile launches into Russia, will that violate the RoE?

Hostile planes firing on Georgian or NATO assets are a target. We cannot cross the border into Abkhazia or Russia.

But, this ROE is not permanent. Per Dandy, if we confirm an attack is underway then we will relax this ROE. At that point ID'd incoming hostile aircraft may be engaged. My hunch is the Russians will have a dense SAM network on the Russian side so we probably won't want to overfly that territory even if we could.

If we confirm this is a full scale invasion of Georgia, and not a snatch-and-grab border scuffle, then you may engage hostile aircraft in Abkhazia or Russia if the ABM's concur. You may not fly into Russian airspace.

If this is a hard bluff then we will make a strong show of force while not encouraging escalation. We don't want to give the Russians any extra reasons to invade.

Pilots, speak with your flight leads. Flight leads, stay in contact with the ABM's.

franzkafka
Jun 30, 2006

kafkabot mk. II: stronger, faster & more alienated
Forwarded Message Begins Below:

***A L E R T***

From: Kommando Strategische Aufklärung (Strategic Reconnaissance Command) of the Bundeswehr.

To: Jagdgeschwader 73

Satellite surveillance has identified what it believes to be an Assumed-Friendly, Weapons-Grade Food Retail installation in Zugdidi.

Enhance,

Enhance,

BRIGADIER GENERAL JOSHUA M. OLSON, COMMANDER-RAMSTEIN AIR BASE posted:

Doth my nugs bequeath me?

We have identified strategic nugget reserves deeper inside Georgian territory, but the loss of this distribution point could threaten vital supply lines throughout the Caucasus region. BE ADVISED.

Also, there's a public school right by the bridge.

franzkafka fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 8, 2022

CallsignAngel
Jan 4, 2022

Pontiac 2 Flight Briefing

Pontiac 2
VF-101, US Navy
F-14B x4

Pontiac 2-1: Vähäkylä/Angel
Pontiac 2-2: Stranger/Lumme

Element 2:
Pontiac 2-3: KingCrab/Madman Theory
Pontiac 2-4: Prime/Xeno

Primary plan: We will fly to waypoint 1 and then do CAP south of 2 and 3, and we’ll take fuel from tanker as needed. We are flying 20 miles southeast of WP 2 and 3, not on the line. The line is the demarcation. Do not fly north of WPs 2 & 3. We will try to sip fuel, but if fuel is needed during CAP, one plane at a time can leave the station to get fuel with authorization from flight lead. We’ll return to Tbilisi when we get the order to RTB or when we’re all low on fuel. The mission concludes for Pontiac 2 when we’re all safely at Tbilisi.
Alternate plan: If Pontiac 1 is unable to cover their part of the CAP zone, we’ll divide into two groups: one covering for Pontiac 1 and one staying with the primary plan.
Contingency plan: If we cannot get fuel from the tanker, we get fuel from Kutaisi.
Emergency plan: You will land your airplane anywhere in Georgia.

Weapons loadout: 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-54 Phoenixes, 2 fuel tanks
Do not jettison your fuel tanks unless it’s an emergency: to eliminate drag, to make it home, or you’re getting ready to gently caress with a Russian at touching distance. Do not jettison your fuel tanks over towns. Bring them home unless it’s necessary.

Ingress altitude: 40,000ft
CAP altitude: 30,000ft
Egress altitude: 40,000ft or climb for desired efficiency

2nd element, be prepared to divide our tasks in half.

ROE: Do not fire on any aircraft that is in Russia proper airspace. Any non-friendly airplane over Abkhazia that fires on us is fair game, and any plane in Georgia regardless of intentions is to be considered hostile. All have to be declared through ABM due to the presence of civilian and neutral airplanes.

We are ready to react as needed based on calls from ABM and adjust our plans accordingly. Our primary goal is to get there and be ready with fuel. No use of the burner during climb or takeoff– only when defending and preparing to employ a weapon. There's a lot of SHORAD out there. There is no reason why any tomcat should be below 20k.

I’m busy with exams in real life, so for any questions, hit me up on Discord (ThinkerDreamer#2364) or in the thread and I’ll reply as soon as I can. Otherwise whenever I am absent, my element lead, KingCrab, can make all pertinent decisions.

CallsignAngel fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 8, 2022

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

In terms of hostile air defences firing on friendlies from behind enemy lines does SEAD have clearance to return fire even if the launching units are not near the bridges ? Do we need missiles to actually have been fired or is a lock considered hostile intent ?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jarmak posted:

Tentative loadout is 9M/X, 2xGBU12, MavF, TPOD, Bag, 120C, Bag, 2xGBU12, 9M/X

If you are not proficient enough with the IR Mavs that it allows you to get warheads on foreheads extra-quick then replace that slot with whatever weapon system you think you are most proficient at getting out fast, the intent is to have something to quickly pounce on SHORAD threats engaging friendlies.

Details on communications plans will be fragged at a later time.

I'm practicing using guided ordinance, but I'm still at the level where need to pause the game and click through menus step by step to get my targeting pod online. Doesn't help that I have to operate the sensors with my keyboard at the moment :(
I will keep practicing a bit, but there's a chance I will tag along as a dive bomber if that's okay.

How is the fuel/range situation, do you expect us to need to make a pit stop?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm practicing using guided ordinance, but I'm still at the level where need to pause the game and click through menus step by step to get my targeting pod online. Doesn't help that I have to operate the sensors with my keyboard at the moment :(
I will keep practicing a bit, but there's a chance I will tag along as a dive bomber if that's okay.

How is the fuel/range situation, do you expect us to need to make a pit stop?

We'll have about 7.5k lbs of fuel to play with on station before we need to tank in order to get home. We're not planning on refueling currently but the nature of this mission means a lot could change.

Also for the Mav slot bring whatever you think you turn and kill an SA19 with the fastest if you saw one start launching on a friendly; remember you have to stay above 16,000 AGL to avoid getting launched on yourself.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 9, 2022

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

I recommend assigning a key specifically to activate the Laser designator: unlike on other jets (that I've flown in DCS) where the laser designator is something you can just turn on and and it'll stay on ready to fire when needed, on the Hornet any time you exit A/G mode it will automatically disable, forcing you to flip the switch on again.
The command is "LTD/R Switch - ARM", and with it you can assign it to a key so that, whenever you are about to drop a bomb, you can just click the button and be sure the laser is working.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Current satellite images coincide with the recent plane-spotter claims by Georgian aviation enthusuasts:

Tu-22MR's were confirmed to be conducting flights along the border lately; generally at 30k feet or more. There are claims that they are wandering offcourse now and then to try and incite reaction from Georgian forces, but nobody has taken the bait yet thankfully. It is up to NATO commands discretion to determine how to respond to border violations by these aircraft.

US Navy recon also brings intel:

The Kuzetsnov is back in its old hometown. The surface action group is not expected to be a factor in the upcoming mission, but it is possible that Su-33s may take to the air if prompted.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Legal memo: it is generally held precedent that aerial reconnaissance overflights are as eligible to be intercepted or destroyed as any military intruder, and Tu-22MRs are not eligible for Open Skies protection. The Russian government could file a protest in the event of a shootdown, but given these are intelligence assets it's possible they would instead disavow/deny any and all such flights. Provided they are intercepted within Georgian airspace, any engagements with them would be legal, and unlikely to provoke or escalate the situation.

Taps
Aug 14, 2009

CallsignAngel posted:

Pontiac 2 Flight Briefing

Pontiac 2
VF-101, US Navy
F-14B x4

Pontiac 2-1: Vähäkylä/Angel
Pontiac 2-2: Stranger/Lumme

Element 2:
Pontiac 2-3: KingCrab/Madman Theory
Pontiac 2-4: Prime/Xeno

Primary plan: We will fly to waypoint 1 and then do CAP south of 2 and 3, and we’ll take fuel from tanker as needed. We are flying 20 miles southeast of WP 2 and 3, not on the line. The line is the demarcation. Do not fly north of WPs 2 & 3. We will try to sip fuel, but if fuel is needed during CAP, one plane at a time can leave the station to get fuel with authorization from flight lead. We’ll return to Tbilisi when we get the order to RTB or when we’re all low on fuel. The mission concludes for Pontiac 2 when we’re all safely at Tbilisi.
Alternate plan: If Pontiac 1 is unable to cover their part of the CAP zone, we’ll divide into two groups: one covering for Pontiac 1 and one staying with the primary plan.
Contingency plan: If we cannot get fuel from the tanker, we get fuel from Kutaisi.
Emergency plan: You will land your airplane anywhere in Georgia.

Weapons loadout: 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders, 2 AIM-7 Sparrows, 2 AIM-54 Phoenixes, 2 fuel tanks
Do not jettison your fuel tanks unless it’s an emergency: to eliminate drag, to make it home, or you’re getting ready to gently caress with a Russian at touching distance. Do not jettison your fuel tanks over towns. Bring them home unless it’s necessary.

Ingress altitude: 40,000ft
CAP altitude: 30,000ft
Egress altitude: 40,000ft or climb for desired efficiency

2nd element, be prepared to divide our tasks in half.

ROE: Do not fire on any aircraft that is in Russia proper airspace. Any non-friendly airplane over Abkhazia that fires on us is fair game, and any plane in Georgia regardless of intentions is to be considered hostile. All have to be declared through ABM due to the presence of civilian and neutral airplanes.

We are ready to react as needed based on calls from ABM and adjust our plans accordingly. Our primary goal is to get there and be ready with fuel. No use of the burner during climb or takeoff– only when defending and preparing to employ a weapon. There's a lot of SHORAD out there. There is no reason why any tomcat should be below 20k.

I’m busy with exams in real life, so for any questions, hit me up on Discord (ThinkerDreamer#2364) or in the thread and I’ll reply as soon as I can. Otherwise whenever I am absent, my element lead, KingCrab, can make all pertinent decisions.

o7
Efficient cruise to 1, loiter on overwatch between 2 & 3. Will review Pontiac 1's plan in case we need to cover them.
-KingCrab

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hey guys I'm Alchenar, you might remember me from my previous adventure with DCS goons entitled 'if I afterburn I'm pretty sure I can clear the ground before catching up with that plane ahead of me on the taxiwayohshit'.

My replacement flight stick is scheduled to appear on the 11th, after which I will be undertaking an intensive refresher course in what happens when I push buttons to get set for mission 1.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

mashed_penguin posted:

In terms of hostile air defences firing on friendlies from behind enemy lines does SEAD have clearance to return fire even if the launching units are not near the bridges ? Do we need missiles to actually have been fired or is a lock considered hostile intent ?

The only requirement is a Russian SAM must fire first, anywhere on the front, then it's on like Donkey Kong. Someone lights you up twenty miles behind the Abkhazian border? Then you light 'em up in return. The only "but" is focus on sanitizing the area near our targets. Enfield Flight is fragile, fat, and slow. I'd hate to see you get baited by units in the distance and not have enough ordnance to cover discovered threats.

Dandywalken posted:

Tu-22MR's were confirmed to be conducting flights along the border lately; generally at 30k feet or more. There are claims that they are wandering offcourse now and then to try and incite reaction from Georgian forces, but nobody has taken the bait yet thankfully. It is up to NATO commands discretion to determine how to respond to border violations by these aircraft.

This looks like bait. My thought is to let these fat fucks edge the border if they want. Swatting them would be fun and easy, but could bring in the aforementioned SU-33's or some other nasty escalation.

Thoughts folks?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That can’t be Kuzetsnov, there’s not enough smoke.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Are you people misspelling Kuznetsov on purpose?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yes, you have been trolled by Georgian intelligence

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Good to know.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You can always track the Kuznetsov by following the trail of ditched flankers.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jarmak posted:

We'll have about 7.5k lbs of fuel to play with on station before we need to tank in order to get home. We're not planning on refueling currently but the nature of this mission means a lot could change.

Also for the Mav slot bring whatever you think you turn and kill an SA19 with the fastest if you saw one start launching on a friendly; remember you have to stay above 16,000 AGL to avoid getting launched on yourself.

Thanks for the heads up. I figured out where I was going wrong with the Mavericks and they work now, I just need to get a bit faster in deploying them.

radintorov posted:

I recommend assigning a key specifically to activate the Laser designator: unlike on other jets (that I've flown in DCS) where the laser designator is something you can just turn on and and it'll stay on ready to fire when needed, on the Hornet any time you exit A/G mode it will automatically disable, forcing you to flip the switch on again.
The command is "LTD/R Switch - ARM", and with it you can assign it to a key so that, whenever you are about to drop a bomb, you can just click the button and be sure the laser is working.

Good idea! Only problem is I'm running out of space on my cheat sheets :)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
With the power of a modifier on HOTAS, all button are 2 button. (Keeping straight in head, eh, tricky)

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
Dandywalken, are we not expecting any Russian movement over the bridge near Shamgona?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That bridge is a rail bridge, and not usable by tanks.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 10, 2022

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dandywalken posted:

That bridge is a rail bridge, and not usable by tanks.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

With the power of a modifier on HOTAS, all button are 2 button. (Keeping straight in head, eh, tricky)
Hell, if you are crazy, each button can be many more buttons. :v:
I stop at 3 myself :cheeky:

fake edit: no, seriously, with something like the A-10C II I need two separate modifier keys to be able to have all of its essential controls on my HOTAS :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I believe that is technically a railway gun.

Pisstakes aside, I'm looking forward to watching this play out, and if I get off my rear end and 1) set up my HOTAS/VR and 2) get DCS I'll have to pop into the discord and start getting lessons on how to plane.