Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
In.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I done hosed up.

:toxx:
I won't sign up again until I've posted my redemption for this week

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Obliterati posted:

I done hosed up.

I won't sign up again until I've posted my redemption for this week

The Cait-Shěth Exhibit
568 words

When the Keepers released fifty-five cats into her enclosure - ‘a culturally authentic environment’, the guides said - Mhairi was purestrain livid. She was a dog person, but that wasn’t why. Her real problem, other than being imprisoned in a pale echo of the bridge of the Fionnghuala, was the riddles. You knew where you stood with dogs, see, but cats had no respect for the chain of command. They scratched up the captain’s chair and they pissed in the corners and as fur their bloody blastit black-hairit queen - she just widnae gie it a rest wi the riddles.

A voice at her feet said, “what does a cat have that no other does?”

Mhairi ignored it.

“Oi, you did this one already!” Grath-Nagloffin in the next enclosure smacked something wet on the shared wall, sending the visitors outside into an ecstasy of camera flashes. “Kittens!”

Kellaine purred. “Correct, horror-thing.” She stretched upwards, digging her claws into the thin fabric of Mhairi’s trouser leg. Someone banged on the glass, insistent and expectant.

Mhairi sighed and sank deeper into her chair. Right now she could have been a cloud of dust peacefully dissolved in vacuum, but naw, she jist hud tae try an run instead. “Do youse no dae anythin useful?”

“Riddles are always useful,” said the Queen of the Cats.

“That’s right. You’ve got to keep your mind active, love,” said Grath-Nagloffin. “You know what happens to folk what give up.”

Aye right were they useful. The Keepers hadn’t found her using riddles, hadn’t snapped the spine of the Fionnghuala with koans, hudnae put her in this box tae die via a crossword puzzle. She glanced upward, at the grate bolted over the ventilation shaft, and sighed again.

#

They’d given her just enough space in the back room, hidden from view, to curl up in a ball and try to sleep. This rarely worked.

“Hey.”

gently caress. Aff.

“Why is a cat indoors like a fire?”

“…Ah wish Ah could put ye oot?”

She felt the gentle passing of claws down her spine as Kellaine thought about it. “Would you rather be in here alone?”

Mhairi rolled over. “Ah’d rather no be here at all, ya dozy clown!”

“You never answered the riddle.”

“Aw, hell naw-”

“You were close, though. A cat, a fire: the sooner it goes out,” said Kellaine, “the better.”

#

Mhairi’s first clue that something was wrong was the ear-splitting alarm. Her second was the emergency lighting that shaded her vision dark red even when she opened her eyes. The third, aye well as she walked up to the glass she could see how-

Outside her enclosure it was pandaemonium. The Keepers had come out to contain it, all frothing limbs and thick wide nets, but for every cat caught in that webbing three were biting ankles and getting it loose and a fourth was tripping their captor and a fifth was yowling like God had just banned catnip - somebody’s camera, dropped, was flashing picture after picture after picture of the chaos, a perfect memento of why one shouldn’t cage a cat.

“Well,” said Grath-Nagloffin.

Behind her, there was a clang. Kellaine looked down at her from the ventilation shaft, her black coat glistening in the red light. “How does a cat get out of a trap?”

Mhairi grinned. “Any way she feels like,” she said, and climbed into the vent.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
This is your annual reminder that I literally made you all a crit sheet you can fill in to do your crits - check the Discord pins.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Also without the losertar my comeback arc would have much less satisfying.