Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in :toxx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Songs at the End

archive

flerp fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 9, 2022

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in give me a subprompt

:toxx: to crit however many stories there idk what words that give me

edit: :toxx: to submit as well

flerp fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 12, 2022

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
To the Reclaimers

archive

flerp fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 9, 2022

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
friendly chili princess brawl results

crits in reverse order of submission

chili

this is extremely messy. it shifts pov so much and so drastically that its hard to get a bead on character locations and actions and how everything relates. everyone moves around so much and end up in different places that its hard to keep track of everything going on, esp given that seems to be a mostly plot focused story. its plot is uhhhhh weird. i think its supposed to be funny, or at least wacky, and there's lil bits of humor in here that do work, but its also like... they jump into a gorilla pit and thats legitimately harrowing. im not sure, i feel like the tone didnt quite work for me, just because Lou is a type of character that i think is a legit scary stalker. this also has wayyyyyy too many characters (which doesnt help with all the pov shifts) that none of the main characters really have time to shine or show any depth. there's just lesbians who are on a date and creepy lou and then a gorilla and a worker but i cant really tell you their personalities. there's not much to grip onto here. the story is legit tough to read (this is the shortest of the bunch and took me the longest to read because i had to mentally map out where every character was and what they were doing during every pov shift) and there's not much here to gain when you spend the time. a wacky plot with (too many) barebone characters.

princess

this is a pretty cool concept and i like that you approached the prompt by having TWO of the characters be non-human. the world building is alright but expository (but hey what you gonna do w/ 2k words) and the plot is pretty alright. you set up two characters although i think their relationship is a bit too generically cutesy-adversial-kind-of-romantic that i feel like we've seen like these enough times without rly doing new or interesting with it. its fine and better than nothing but idk i feel like ive seen a lot of this that i just want more. but overall, you do a lot here with 2k words and most of it works. you set up a decent world and concept (altho the magic is kind of confusing and im not sure how it works), you give characters personalities and distinct motivations that makes it make sense for why theyre all fighting each other. this feels like an intro scene to a larger fantasy story, which is a nice way of saying the ending didnt feel conclusive, but if it was a larger fantasy story, id probably have kept reading, so hey, that's good i supposed. you did resolve the conflict, but the conflict felt small when i think this was trying to be bigger. its still fine tho.

penguin

this one im not sure of. there's more emotional stakes here than the previous two and i generally tend to like the approach of ghosts and grief and blah blah blah, but it starts out as a story that seems to be about the character accepting his mother's death and what her ghost is and whether the ghost is real or not or if the ghost is his mother or not but then it kinda devolves into actually his mom was a powerful witch and another witch needs to be beat her and like... idk if these two things go together. maybe, somehow, there's this really cool way to bridge these two together, of grief and uncertainity and ghosts and powerful witches, but im not sure what that is and its certainly not here. it feels disjointed and the story ends, like princess's, with a to be continued, but in this one, it doesnt work as well. in princess's, they were able to resolve the main conflict while still having a clear continuation. here, your conflict isnt really resolved. i mean, sure, the mom is actually the ghost, but is the character's grief understood more deeply here? it just doesnt feel like anything's super changed for any of the characters and they still need to do more stuff to solve the conflict you set up.

final results

princess wins by a good few legs ahead of friendly penguin while chili trips right at the starts and falls into a gorilla pit

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
crits

organburner

Royce had been called no need for past perfect here. “was called” gets the same idea, uses less words, and past perfect is kind of awkward in general, so best to avoid it unless totally necessary into the principals office. It wasn't the first time but he hoped it would be the last. The principal, Aaron Grundwisser, was a hot shot young wizard only in his 30's yet he had somehow gotten this post in a rural wizarding high school this is awkward exposition for a lot of reasons. first of all, its just straight up exposition w/ any context or motivation around the exposition. second, royce is the PoV right now, so like… is this royce’s thoughts about his principal? why does he know this? and if it is, it doesn’t sound like how a (presumed) kid would think of his principal when he got called into his office. Royce had come to know him due to his near constant visits to the office, but it wasn't as if Royce was bad. Just clumsy. And this time he had clumsily skated into the girls locker room after some bullies had turned his shoes into ice.

"It wasn't my fault!" Royce cried as he sat down.

The principal hadn't even managed to reply before another teacher asked to speak with him outside. this is a weird transition. you give us exposition about the principal which makes me think he’s important but then he doesnt even say anything? and what just happened here? he got called into the office, royce said one thing, and then gets called to go outside again? oh wait i read ahead, a teacher called the principal outside. vague pronouns hurt you here. still, doesnt make much sense to me.

Royce stood up to stretch his back and wondered how they had managed to hit him so well with the ice spell. He tried it out himself and managed to slip again and he felt like half the room fell with him to the floor. this blocking is also weird, the principal gets called out and royce… decides to ice the principal’s office???

In a panic Royce started to arrange things back the way he remembered them, hoping no one had heard anything but there was a problem. The flaming chalice was no longer flaming on its pedestal. Gingerly picking up the chalice Royce felt a crackle of power as he lit it up with a simple fire spell and sat down. Shortly thereafter the principal entered the room, seemingly none the wiser. in the moment, im not sure what this has to do with the narrative as a whole

"Listen Royce, I've seen you in here more than enough times and given you the boiler plate whenever you got bullied and here's the deal: I used to be like you when I was your age until I stood up for myself."”here is me, the character, giving you exposition.” also, this feels just slightly stilted, like a B movie actor.

"What do you mean?"

"Make them regret loving with you. Nothing permanent of course, and you never heard this from me." ummmmmm im not sure this is how i would want my principal talking to a student

"But can't you do something about it?" and royce… doesn’t react to his principal cursing AND telling him to basically hurt/attack people???

"Not really, we've been held back from doing anything for as long as I've been here. Now get back to class and I'll have a talk with the other boys." this is a huge cop-out. and i mean, if you wanted your character to get revenge on bullies… why did you need the principal to tell him to do that?

As Royce walked back to class he ran across the bullies.

"Hey it's the pervert!" One of them said loudly

"Royce the perv!"

Royce kept looking at the floor and just walked past them. Back in class he thought to himself, "I wish a troll or something would just rip those fuckers apart." this is personal preference for the most part, but i generally like to avoid putting thoughts into quotations as i view quotations as exclusively spoken words. consider no quotations or italicizing thoughts.

A slight bit later and there was a lot of noise and screaming outside the classroom. The principal slammed open the classroom door and pointed at Royce.

"You, get the gently caress out here right now!" uhhhh what

Royce followed the principal who was walking fast. "What's going on?" he asked.

"How the gently caress did you do it?"

"Do what?"

They rounded a corner and before them was the corpse of a troll and some things Royce couldn't identify, but there was a lot of blood.

"That." The principal finished his thought. School staff were standing around, some nursing wounds from the fight with the troll but Royce managed to identify the parts of his bullies.

"But I didn't do anything! I was in class!" Royce protested.

"So a troll just happened to appear in the middle of the drat school and rip your bullies apart?"

"I'm not the only one they bullied! And I don't even know how to summon a troll, maybe a bee at most!"

"We're going to figure this out. You're suspended until then, go back to your room and stay there!" this is a HUGE tone shift. kids literally died. sure they were bullies but they were killed. we had some wacky hijinks and some bad advice from principals, but this just shifts into kids being brutally slaughtered by a troll. this is not a good thing.

Back in his room Royce was fuming, this was all so unfair. It wasn’t his fault the bullies had died. He wished the entire town and everyone in it would just disappear into the void or something, rid this world of this miserable place with these miserable people.

There was a knock at the door and the principal entered, speaking in a calm voice. is this a boarding school? why is his principal knocking on his door?

“Royce, when you were alone in my room did anything happen?”

“No.” Royce lied.

“Royce, this is very important. Did anything happen?” The principal continued with a forced calmness. Royce could tell the principal was angry. He closed his eyes and wished he wasn’t in his room anymore.

Opening his eyes again to answer the accusations Royce discovered he was outside the dorms. It was beginning to dawn on him that he might have something to do with things as he looked up at the black sky. The principal came running out of the dorm.

“You need to stop!” The principal shouted.

“Stop? I don’t know what I’m doing!”

“You did something in my room, didn’t you!”

“No! Well I kind of accidentally knocked over some stuff but I put it all back! You didn’t even notice, it’s fine!”

The principal pointed at the black sky. “That is not fine! The troll was not fine! Now calm down! What exactly did you do?”

“Well there was this weird pedestal with a flaming chalice, I noticed the flame went out when it fell so I re-lit it. But that’s it!”

“YOU RE-LIT THE CHALICE?”

“Is that what’s causing all the problems? I wish that chalice didn’t exist! I didn’t mean to do anything!”

“Wait no! Wish us back into the world!”

“What?”

“The chalice is a very powerful artifact I was supposed to safeguard, it’s bound to you through the flame you lit! Now wish this town back into the world!”

Royce tried to wish them back but nothing happened. They walked back into the principals office and the chalice was gone.

“gently caress.” The principal breathed out.

“Why were you keeping this thing in here where students are constantly coming in and out?” Royce asked, trying to deflect blame.

“I figured I should keep an eye on it, yet I didn’t even notice the flame had changed to someone else.” The principal spoke in a monotone voice now.

“How do we get back into the real world?”

“I don’t know, maybe we just don’t. I can’t show my face anywhere after this fiasco.”

“At least the chalice doesn’t need guarding anymore?”

Suddenly the principal showed a bit more emotion. “Go the gently caress back to your room.”

Royce thought he heard the hint of a laugh behind those words.

For Royce, life significantly improved even in this hopeless void. No more bullies to bother him and the school staff had decided to not reveal that he was the cause for them being in the void now. Maybe some day someone would figure out a way to return them or maybe the outside world would discover them but until then everyone would try to keep going on with their lives as usual.LOL at this paragraph trying to fit this into the prompt of being hopeful. yeah actually being in the void is good

i kind of lost the trail at the end because its pretty bad. the wishing for things feels unmotivated and i guess is sort of setup by a troll. also, i feel like the principal’s advice is pretty wasted since royce never actually does anything to stop his bullies. the principal seems to set up a moral quandary for royce: do you act out against the bullies or dont you? and royce doesnt do either. he kinda just passively wishes for the kid’s death and a mcguffin does it for him. also, the void stuff doesnt work well either because royce’s desire for that comes out of nowhere. he doesnt seem practically nihilistic or depressed, so why does he want to get rid of the world? it just seems like he accidentally thought something he wasnt supposed to and what’s the takeaway from that? sometimes high schoolers overreact?

Cieghk

this is fun with some decent action. it does fall into early on into the trap of Capitalize Proper Nouns but the concepts end up just being nation names so it ends up not being annoying past the beginning. i didnt quite buy the relationship at the end though. at the start, i felt like this was a reflection on a weird hot-and-cold relationship that was going on for years, but it doesnt seem to be that way. like, my read of the ending is they plan to assassinate the empress and have the protag impersonate her but then why does the beginning make it sound like johan is always trying to kill her? it seems like johan just wanted to kill her that one night and then they became allies. maybe my read is totally off, but this does feel like you didnt go back to your beginning and clean it up because you found your ending within the drafting.

Staggy

this is good and well written but its missing… something so i want to find. maybe its the reverend and the vicar’s action which feels a lil out of nowhere and unmotivated, but while i think thats true, thats not the main problem. something is off with the protag. their shift into depressed about the end of world into hopeful person who stops someone from giving up is probably too fast. i mean, its only three weeks. the character’s actions of joining the group, too, feels a tad unmotivated too. the protag feels a bit like a leaf in the wind, going where the wind blows them, without much reason except that they pushed there, which can work, but perhaps more focus needs to be on that. have the character start like that, call attention, and then when they have the chance to either go with the wind and watch or allow the reverend (or a larger group) to burn it down, they then decide that they dont want to be that, and go against what other people are doing and decide for themselves what they want. idk thats just my thoughts and i dont want to tell you how to write it, but i feel like i cant quite find the core of this story.

Muffin

this is good and but i know you dont want me to just sing its praises, so i wont. so, my issues. i think the middle is a little bit bloated, kind of circling around its ideas of persistence and hope. while the individual words and ideas are strong, i kinda thought to myself, alright, we get it, move on, go somewhere else. the story does eventually carry forward, but i felt dragged along in the middle and was only coming along for the prose. which of course is good, but i feel like there’s not enough movement. i dont mean just plot movement (which isnt necessary im not trying to say give us more plot), but conceptual movement. i also think you can give more personality to individual robots in an expansion. after all, i feel like that would be a humanization of the robots -- each one is likely programmed the same, but through their interactions with people and introspection, they come to develop their own personalities and outlooks. it feels somewhat odd to have your robots slowly develop into their own understanding of consciousness, but through the narration, it feels like they all share the same outlook, which isn’t how people or consciousness works. i think this would also push the concept of hope and persistence further. hope and persistence is still a choice and thats why its difficult. having some of the robots give up can make that hope feel stronger, like you have to work for your hope.

Noah

i dont really understand this. so its the afterlife (maybe hell?) and the protag is getting married when its shutting down, which is fine, no problems there. but then the story is extremely straightforward in a way that i dont understand with its concept. like, why are they in the afterlife? its just mostly mundane wedding problems. the story doesnt seem to even want to comment on its concept, it just drops it in at the start and then idk becomes a wedding planning disaster. besides that, the story is kind of meh. its very sitcommy. character comes in and says oh no there’s a problem. then the protag says a one-liner and the audience laughs, and then the character leaves and a new one shows up with a new problem. i dont have much reason to care for any of these people and i dont rly care about wedding details, so this just washes through me.

My Shark Waifuu

this is light and kind of whatever. i guess its a decent inversion in that i thought the protag was actually gonna be a decent person but then nope. idk i wouldve liked to seen an approach that did genuinely paint goblins in a more positive light. i mean it is hosed up that goblins are seen as fodder and engaging with them as necessary things in ecosystems could be a cool way to examine DnD style monsters and issues with their portrayal. but nah this story doesnt seem interested in that. which is fine i suppose, but it doesnt do anything more.

Albatrossy_Rodent

small thing, but you should do the octopus or Octopus. think of Octupus (with a capital letter) as a name, and the octopus as a title.

this is again another light story. it works and i think has a nice strong message at the end, but everything before is just kind of meh. we dont know the character’s motivation until the end, which does kind of hurt, and it does kind of just throw concepts out there like an octopus being a sorcerer from atlantis, but i was willing to buy it. regardless it just feels like there’s not enough here to grip onto.

Idle Amalgam

noooooooooo not bitcoin

this just falls into parody so quickly its absurd. i mean, i think there’s actually a story here about people can fall into crypto and scams but this starts out trying to be that story and then all of a sudden he’s a crypto bro. and like, im not here to defend crypto bros, but there’s this problem in writing that when you make a character, even if that character may be technically realistic since some people really do into crypto in this way, when you make them out this one dimensional and harshly, it lands really badly. like, youre not even engaging in cryptobro with any good faith, you just want to mock them and i dont really want that in my fiction tbh.

GrandmaParty

this is a decent conversation although pretty generic. it doesnt rly do much with a generic war and siege and its take is kind of whatever. i dont enjoy the ending. idk, i rly did want this to be an actual change of heart of someone realizing nations arent worth anything. the betrayal just felt mean in this story and i dont rly like it. maybe it woudlve been too of a straight line if you played the ending straight but idk it just made me feel bad for not a lot of value of what making feel bad does. like “yep people are assholes” is much of a satisfying ending.

Chernobyl Princess

this a pretty traditionally structured story that ends up working well. it has a good concept that ends up being fairly meaningful and has nice plot progression in such a short piece. my issue, which is always a strange one, is that i think this story is too clean. i feel like stories need a bit of messiness to shine and this kind of play its hand a bit too straightforwardly that like, sure this works, but does this excel? not particularly.

trex

cute and fun. i do think here that your dialogue is a bit too forced in its tone. it comes across as just slightly stilted and unnatural that its somewhat unsettling, like somebody’s trying to sell my something with a slightly too big smile. but overall the plot is cute and the characters are fun but it all just feels a lil too forced and constructed. its still fun but it doesnt all line together for me.

antiv

hmmmm, im not sure about this one. im not feeling esp drawn into the characters and the world you craft is like magical realism-adjacent but i dont feel like those concepts of weird special powers comes really into play. the character work is okay but im finding myself not rly getting attached even this seems to be more of a jam. i think im just tired of disaffected protags tbh

Thranguy

this feels incomplete. idk man, i feel like ive read a lot of your stuff and i wonder if a 1k words are the right space for you. its not bad, but it feels like setup. the concept is kind of interesting (but very expository) but it doesnt really lead to anything, huh. an impossible job that he does over and over again to make it not impossible is kind of cool but that doesnt happen. you just set that up.

The man called M

i dont think you should draw attention to your character being trans like that. it feels a lil garrish. like, obv you can write trans character, but dont be like THIS CHARACTER IS TRANS. it just comes off as, well, stupid. this story also makes no sense. are these middle schoolers? do these dumb competition actually exist in real life? chad is such a generic bully character and his shift at the end makes no sense. and then there’s corpses? why? this tone is stupid and silly why are there dead bodies? idk man, put some effort in.

yeah ok ok yeah

this isnt really my kind of stuff. i dont like this kind of sci-fi so it kinda just flows through me. its a bit too technical for me to get a grip on and this is just now my speed im sry

a classy ghost

this takes long to get where it wants to go. there’s a lot of concepts here and a decent world, but there’s no plot here really. you exposit for a bit about menial labor and then the guy loses the job and he all of sudden likes these bugs and uses those skills to get a new job. the latter bit comes out of nowhere. he’s just rly good at bugs all of a sudden, so we dont get any satisfaction out of seeing the character use a trait they have to their benefit. i feel like you had a good concept in your head, but you couldnt find the story.

Caligula Kangaroo

hmmmm this one is odd. the end bit is kind of cool and interesting but also like… intensely stupid lol. like this guy decides to take a general test in the middle of a war or something while people are looking to kill him for some reason. thats just weird, but it also kinda works in its strangeness and it ties into the character’s arc kind of well. it just feels too forced. like, did we need the tension of being acted by people with guns? could this guy make this decision w/o that external threat? because this feels like more of an internal conflict.

crabrock

idk this is pretty low effort and boring. do you want a serious crit of this? its not really funny when i think it wants to be funny. the librarian joke isnt that good and it doesnt lean into its badness strong enough to be haha so bad. its just kinda dully whatever.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
2815 words. dq me if you want to

oh no this old person knows all the herbs, the ones that cure but also the ones that definitely don't cure

Making It Make Sense

archive

flerp fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 9, 2022

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
the right things

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in flash

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Bodies

archive

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in give me a friend

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
a man called m crit

i read this and have thoughts. first of all, i find the premise both workable and believable enough. i mean, the premise is kind of stupid, but also the tone is kind of stupid, so it works. and i dont mean stupid in a bad way, but in a sort of dumb-but-can-be-fun sort of way, which can work! this however, doesnt work as a story, and that's where its flaws come in.

first of all, i dont like how you treat violence and death in your fiction from the few things ive read of yours. this kid is being chased by cannibals and Al murders people and the narrative doesnt seem to even consider the implications of what killing people means. he's just a murderer (who seems to be able to do so efficiently that he's definitely killed more people than in this narrative) and the story doesnt consider what that means or put any weight on that. not to say that you cant write action that involves killing and death, but i think you watch too much anime or play too many video games where killing random mooks is never considered but this just doesnt work as well in fiction, i find. also, in general, your action writing is... well, i cant call it action writing because you ignore it. you just gloss over the action, which idk can work, but it feels less like you deciding "this will make my story more efficient" and more "idk how to write action so uhhhhhh he killed them."

now, let's consider once Jimmy joins Al. The dialogue here isnt very good, both from a writing standpoint, but also from a narrative standpoint. the things that matter here are Jimmy has a thing that people want. are the details about the impossible meat important? do they add to the narrative or reveal things about the character or do anything interesting? i would say no. i think modern readers now would understand what impossible burgers are (i mean, burger king sold them ), so I don't think you need to explain what they are and what they can do. instead, maybe use your dialogue to answer more interesting questions. like, for example, why is Al willing to risk his life for this kid? sure, I can buy Al killing some people who want to hurt a little kid, but i dont know why he would potentially risk his own life to get Jimmy to chicago. he wants to protect the boy, but why? did he have a kid before? did he fail to protect someone beforehand? does he think he can get rich? Al has no motivations for his actions. same thing goes with Jimmy. he knows how to make impossible meats, but he doesnt have any motivation. does he want to spread this idea to prevent cannabalism? to make money? did his parents put him to secrecy? note that im not saying you have to do any of these, but if you come up with a reason for your character's actions and tie them into your character's personality, your characters will start to feel like people and not like toys you move around to make the plot start.

then we get to Lou. and look, Lou is actually kind of interesting! he's a priest who apparently assisted or condoned or otherwise allowed the cannabalism to happen because he thought it was a necessary evil but now jimmy comes around and says, it wasnt necessary. and he has a crisis! he has to deal with the fact that he was wrong, that his actions werent necessary. this is a character! you made a character! you can then have lou have to cope with his emotions. figure out what this means for him. maybe he tries to get this impossible meals to be common. or he tries to convince the rich to stop. or talks to his congregation. or whatever. you see, when you give a character like this a problem (his understanding of the world is upheaved), you start to get a story. Lou faces a problem and now he must solve it. i mean, this story doesnt actually do anything with Lou, but compare him to Al and Jimmy. neither of those characters want anything and the actions they take dont come from any place of motivation, so we dont care. but with Lou, i could get behind him. how does he grapple with his faith when he condoned murder for so long? id like to see that. you dont actually do that, but you can. the ending, here, starts to get some place interesting. the world is being upheaved by Jimmy, now how do people react? We don't know, we don't see it, but it CAN be interesting.

so overall: find your characters that are interesting. give them motivations. explore those motivations. make them grapple with issues.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Dan is an angry bird.

archive

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
:siren: How the Prompt is Chosen :siren:

hello i have no ideas so im recycling a prompt from poemdoem (rip) with some modifications

im gonna share one of my favorite poems, How the Pope is Chosen by James Tate. it owns hard. you can read it here

James Tate posted:

How The Pope Is Chosen

Any poodle under ten inches high is a toy.
Almost always a toy is an imitation
of something grown-ups use.
Popes with unclipped hair are called "corded popes."
If a Pope's hair is allowed to grow unchecked,
it becomes extremely long and twists
into long strands that look like ropes.
When it is shorter it is tightly curled.
Popes are very intelligent.
There are three different sizes.
The largest are called standard Popes.
The medium-sized ones are called miniature Popes.
I could go on like this, I could say:
"He is a squarely built Pope, neat,
well-proportioned, with an alert stance
and an expression of bright curiosity,"
but I won't. After a poodle dies
all the cardinals flock to the nearest 7-Eleven.
They drink Slurpies until one of them throws up
and then he's the new Pope.
He is then fully armed and rides through the wilderness alone,
day and night in all kinds of weather.
The new Pope chooses the name he will use as Pope,
like "Wild Bill" or "Buffalo Bill."
He wears red shoes with a cross embroidered on the front.
Most Popes are called "Babe" because
growing up to become a Pope is a lot of fun.
All the time their bodies are becoming bigger and stranger,
but sometimes things happen to make them unhappy.
They have to go to the bathroom by themselves,
and they spend almost all of their time sleeping.
Parents seem incapable of helping their little popes grow up.
Fathers tell them over and over again not to lean out of windows,
but the sky is full of them.
It looks as if they are just taking it easy,
but they are learning something else.
What, we don't know, because we are not like them.
We can't even dress like them.
We are like red bugs or mites compared to them.
We think we are having a good time cutting cartoons out of the paper,
but really we are eating crumbs out of their hands.
We are tiny germs that cannot be seen under microscopes.
When a Pope is ready to come into the world,
we try to sing a song, but the words do not fit the music too well.
Some of the full-bodied popes are a million times bigger than us.
They open their mouths at regular intervals.
They are continually grinding up pieces of the cross
and spitting them out. Black flies cling to their lips.
Once they are elected they are given a bowl of cream
and a puppy clip. Eyebrows are a protection
when the Pope must plunge through dense underbrush

in search of a sheep.

that fucks right? i know. anyways, the prompt.

when you sign up, you will pick 1 to 4 sequential lines from this poem and that is your prompt. just pick whatever sequence you think was really cool or neat or funny or would make a good prompt. i dont really care. if you cant decide, you can ask me to give you a set of lines. repeats are acceptable

but also i want to make this a little bit of a challenge too so i want you to attempt a tone shift like Tate does here. you dont have to do a shift exactly like how he does his, where it goes from funny to existential, but i want some kind of shift. start out depressing and go hopeful. start out action-packed and end on philosophical. whatever, i dont care, but i just want you tone to change in some capacity. just read How the Pope is Chosen to see what im looking for.

and thats it. pick your favorite lines, make a story where your tone changes, and then you post. easy, i hope.

also, poetry is not required. you can write poetry, but it is not required nor is it especially encouraged

rules:
2015 max words
no non-fiction

submissions close fri 2/20 at 11:59pm PST

cardinals:
me
a man called m
crabrock

popes who threw up from too many slurpies:
chairchucker
antivehicular
thranguy
staggy
albatrossy rodent
surreptious muffin
caligulakangaroo

flerp fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 20, 2022

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Chairchucker posted:

Hello please pick my lines for me

They drink Slurpies until one of them throws up
and then he's the new Pope.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Staggy posted:

In, please pick me some lines.

What, we don't know, because we are not like them.
We can't even dress like them.
We are like red bugs or mites compared to them.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
everyone submitted wow awesome

submissions closed obv

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
week 498 results

cool week for me. not so cool for my co-judges, i feel, but i liked the more out there takes i got to read. but anyways, lets move forward

no loser. nothing we hated. good job people

dm goes to CaligulaKangaroo. i was actually okay with this but when i found out it was a retelling of a historical story, i cooled on it. it was fine, but the poetic meter here only served to length something that was already too long made this feel more painful than it needed to be.

hm to Thranguy. a bit too complex and opaque for my tastes but my co-judges liked it and hey it was still cool.

easy win goes to Staggy. just a banger of a story, really. not much else to say here

sorry for making td do the worst thing it could possibly imagine -- engage with poetry

take it away deer lord

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
give me a box thing idk i havent read the prompt over my 400(!!!!) weeks and im not starting now

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Week 498 crits

rodent

im not sure if this entirely works. the tone here is odd and i know, prompt said tone shift, but im not sure it works here. its hard to pin down the time period which i think is intentional but im not sure if its beneficial to this piece. it mixes in contemporary and biblical references, which is in some part cool, but im not sure if everything fits together. the prose is good but i feel like the flourishes here obscure more than they reveal, if that makes sense. it feels mostly a frustration with the inability of religion to deal with the consequences of the world, which im not sure is the correct read, and if it is, it doesnt feel like it says anything more than that. also, the first four paragraphs feel at least partly unnecessary. the rule of threes is somewhat interesting but end up not mattering much within the piece. same thing with the religious ruling around “drink” -- on the surface, it can work as a sort of as a play on religious loopholes people use, but does it matter in the larger piece? not really. the end, i think, starts to land more in both its rhythm and tone, but it feels disconnected from the beginning. and i find myself not sure exactly where this piece is going.

staggy

this is cool. its flourishes in prose is nice and i like the little world you build here, and the way language and names define people in relation to gods. its a somewhat complicated idea that youre able to make work in a small piece while still making the story work overall. i like the way you start with the names being a way to trick the gods, but then you pull the gods “attacking” the child, which it turns out is the child learning the god’s language, which makes him a god, and i like how you create that connection between language and names in a way that feels satisfying and connected but in a creative way that wasnt what we expected. the bits of “suppose if…” are weird, but i think its interesting because it does lend a sort of timelessness of the story, and that these kinds of stories have repeated or been prevented or whatever. overall, yeah, this is cool

muffin

this feels very much in line with How the Pope is Chosen, which is cool, because that poem owns. however, it also then gets met with comparisons and look, how the pope is chosen is one of my favorite poems so thats a tough horse to match.

but anyways, i liked this actually. my other co-judges were, understandably, not as enthused as i was because they are not cultured fart sniffers poem enjoyers like myself. but anyways, my read of this poem is that dave has passed away or something (not explicit, but it becomes clear that dave is only referred to in the past tense and theyre reminisicining about him in a way that makes me think he died [i just reread the white dove part, yeah this guy is dead dead]), and its about this passage of time for a group of homeless/down on their luck individuals. theyve all slowly faded away over time, with only a couple of them left, and its look back at a time that was both distressing (because being homeless sucks) but also kind of a good time. so it creates a sort of weird melancholy that you get when you remember a time that kind of sucked but also was kind of good at the same time. you wouldnt want to necessarily want to go back to those times, but you do have fond memories of those moments. so its a cool remembrance of a friend that was great and a time that wasnt great but was also great at the same time.

antiv

this is alright. im not a fan of sci-fi but this is okay since it sets up decent stakes and creates at least a fairly interesting world. the beginning i dont quite like since it feels like a continuous THIS IS EASY THIS IS EASY THIS IS EASY but i guess kudos on subverting that by making the job actually technically easy. i feel like this story is kind of in pieces, in that i think each section has a distinct goal. the first is scene setting, the second is actual heist/action, and the third is character building, and i feel like the compartmentalization of these things dont quite work for me. i wanted the character building further into the narrative; its not clear to me that the protagonists were once a part of this church in a meaningful way and that they believe in this doctrine so much. like, when they first see this saint, it doesnt line up to me that theyre viewing it in (some part) reverence and not horror, and i think having maybe a little more knowledge of these characters beforehand could make this work. also, the distinct sections doing their own little things makes the story feel a lot more constructed than it needs. i also found the end just a bit too quick, where you were like, oh man, i need to develop my characters right here and now, and it just feels a bit too forced to me. i also couldnt quite buy looking at the saint and the people theyre eating and the character going, “oh man, this is good for them!” i think this is, in some part, an attempt to show how people can get indoctrinated into ideals that are clearly bad, but justify it, which is cool, but i think it comes a bit out of nowhere where we cant believe the character saying these things.

chairchucker

this is a chucker story and its fine. not the best not the worst. its a little too all over the place tbh, where youre kinda running between ideas of slurpies and slushies and wizards until you land on victor is a dickhead. i kinda like the idea of a wizard council just being a bunch of teenage wizards but not much is done with that overall. idk, this story is just very chucker in that it gets a small smile and is nicely irreverent, but it doesnt really end up being anything substantial. i do wish there was more here though, and i mentally wanted to dm this because i feel like this is something you can crank out easily and didnt feel like much of an effort.

Thranguy

this is dense and has a lot going on (so much so that im not quite attempting a summary because i think itd be too long) and i like a lot of ideas in it. the idea of the anthem, of history being adjusted and being reflected through the changes of the anthem, but also that the history cant be removed entirely from the anthem and it stains the nation and people within that nation. the characters in here are nice in that the relationships dont feel one-note, but layered in complicated kind-of-hate-kind-of-like that seems to reflect on a more high school level “well, these are kind of just the people i have to deal with.” my criticisms lie in the number of characters (and how theyre introduced) and the structure. i think there’s just a few too many characters and some late adds like Javon are kind of odd in that i dont think he adds much. it gets sort of messy (and not in the good way like the relationships here are messy) trying to remember all the characters and their relationships arent clearly defined enough for me to quickly pick out who is who. though i dont want to make it sound like i want the relationships to be more clearly defined because thats what i like, i just think in a story where youre trying to keep things vague in terms of how people relate to each other, having too many characters can make it difficult to follow. also, some of the movement in this piece i think kind of come out of nowhere. like, its sort of kind of stream of consciousness? but also not quite and some of the changes from talking about the anthem to the story surrounding the characters doesnt feel quite motivated enough for me. overall though, you do a lot in a few words but i think you couldve taken maybe like 500 words or so to try and make everything fit a little neatly together (but not too neatly because i think this story works because it is messy).

CaligulaKangaroo

i liked this a decent amount when i first read it. all of the story beats here were cool, the shifting of the name to christopher, etc etc. i was frustrated with the formatting, though, since this was pretty much a narrative and i didnt feel like the structure of a poem did enough to justify its existence. and because of the formatting, it felt longer than it actually wouldve been if it was just in prose.

but then i learned that this was pretty much a straight retelling of a biblical story and i soured on it quite a bit. the things i liked were the individual bits, the kids, etc., but you didnt make those, now did you? not to say that biblical retellings arent a classic writerly thing to do, but the individual decisions of you as an author either hurt it (it being a poem did not help) or didnt do enough (the writing itself is fine but nothing special).

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

rohan posted:

if on a winter’s night a bad author
359 words

‘I’m sorry?’ Dave asks, again. ‘How did you—why did you emphasise “experience” just then?’

“I think a better question,” I replied, “is why you’re only using single quotes in your dialogue.”

‘My dialogue? You mean—what I’m saying?’

“And stop using those long dashes, you sound pretentious,” I told him.

Dave blinks. ‘Professor,’ he starts, ‘I think something’s gone horribly wrong. The timelines are all confused. You look—older, somehow, than before.’

“Of course I’m older than before,” I murmured, “that’s how time usually works.”

Dave gets up with a start, and begins to rummage in the box of plot devices I keep on hand for just such a break in the dialogue. While he’s busying himself trying to find whatever will act as a macguffin for the scene, I took a moment to admire myself in the mirror. I examined my face — round, not unattractive, with the deep red lipstick and light blush that all serious female scientists apply each morning. Looking down further, I noticed my breasts, breasting breastily under my tight labcoat, as breasts do.

‘Found it!’ Dave exclaims, retrieving a piece of especially blue lapis lazuli.

“What’s that?” I asked, as he seemed unwilling to provide his own exposition.

‘What does it look like?’

“A piece of especially blue lapis lazuli,” I shrugged.

‘That’s interesting,’ Dave says, nonchalantly. ‘To me, it looks more like a deep red.’

“Okay,” I said. “So, you’re colourblind.”

Dave glares at me. ‘As you know,’ he needlessly expositions, ‘different colours of light travel at different speeds through various mediums.’ (“Media,” I murmured.) ‘Therefore, because this appears red to me, and blue to you, light must be travelling at different speeds relative to our position in the space-time continuum, which must mean—’

“I know all this,” I told him. “At least, I know the theory. Are you suggesting such an event has come to pass?”

‘You said so yourself, earlier,’ he says, tilting his head to one side. ‘Oh, no. Internal consistency is already failing—tenses have been broken the entire time—at least the point-of-view is remaining stable—’

The phone is still ringing. You walk over to answer it.

487 words

chekov's box of markers

archive

flerp fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 9, 2022

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
[quote="Sitting Here" post="521799573"]
:siren: :siren: This is the first story in the story chain. Who will write the first sequel? What crazy branching timelines will you drag the judges through??? :siren: :siren: :siren:

Written by Crabrock.

WEEK 500DRED Prologue
500 words

archive

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Nae posted:

Parti Sapphire

Family Heirloom

archive

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Your Body Changes in Strange Ways

archive

flerp fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 9, 2022

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in yokai

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
prompt: Diner Youkai

Our YouTube Channel Still Isn’t Getting Much Views Though

archive

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
dream week

sitting here

i think the beginning here is a bit flimsy. it works at what it needs to setup but i dont get much enjoyment out of it for its own sake, if that makes sense. theres a few neat things, namely the big stick, but i dont get much out of it except knowing that it will build into something, so it made the first read kinda boring. i dont think there's much to cut, but i feel like i need a bit more of the protag's personality here. they have an understanding of the sister, apparently, but i dont really feel that and i cant really get a feel for the protag here at the beginning. i just dont really feel like they have a voice in the sense where i feel like they are distinct. they feel kind of like a generic protag and i wanted more personality or distinction from them rather than being a mostly unbiased observer. i also want to like the part where she grows to hate her sister, but its very prefunctory. its just a tossed in line and i wished i got to see the protag grow into her distaste more esp when compared to the beginning where the protag was apparently very in-touch with her sister's emotions. i can understand why the protag would grow to dislike her sister, but i think it wouldve shown a lot about the protag if we got to see in what ways she grows to dislike her sister, how she expresses it, what specific words she uses (you use "jeer" and "torment" but those feel really unspecific to me). afterwards, i think the story progresses really nicely and i like most of it, and the ending is cool and neat, but i feel like if we had a stronger feeling for the sisterly bond (and the subsequent breaking or weakening of that bond), it would land a bit harder emotionally.

a man called m

quote:

Jake Gato remembered listening to the oldies on the radio. He was always amazed at how good the songs of yesterday were. Growing up, he would always be reminded of the songs of old, even those that weren’t old when he was young. One certain song that reminded him of his life was the 1974 Harry Chapin hit, “The Cat’s in the Cradle”. Not because he saw himself in the father in the song, but in the son.

His father Joe was a working class man, who, as anyone can see through his actions with his family, was a kind man, willing to do anything for his family. Unfortunately, it usually came at Jake’s expense. While there were a few times when Joe was there when Jake needed him, there were just as many, if not more, times where he wasn’t. Now Jake had his own family, and didn’t have the time to spend with his father, or even his own family.

When he was young, Jake wanted to be like his dad. He got his wish. this right here, this is your first line. a little cliche, but snappy and gets the attention and makes the reader ask questions. why does jake want to be like his dad? why does it seem like he doesnt actually want to be like his dad? what is his dad like and why would he want to and not want to be him? this will drive the reader forward to want to actually read

A few years before, Jake and his wife Sara welcomed to the world their first, and so far, only child, Nathaniel. That was obviously too long, so it was usually shortened to Nate. To Jake, Nate’s birth was one of the happiest days of his life. That was ten years ago. Nate was now a young boy, but he wasn’t sure if he really “knew” his father. im gonna do something crazy. im going to make this paragraph into 10 words. Jake and Sara have a ten year old called Nate. i took your 67(!!!!!) word paragraph and made it 10. think about what youre writing and try to figure out what information is important and what isnt. for example, if I saw "Nate," the reader will probably think, "that's probably short for Nathaniel." or, they wont and it wont matter because knowing that the kid's name is Nathaniel but he goes by Nate because its shorter DOESNT MATTER. like, does knowing why Nate is called Nate affect your story? no. so dont include it.

While there were many times Jake was not there for Nate, one instance where he was there was when they worked together to build a treehouse. just make this a scene. dont say anything, dont do anything. just say, Jake and Nate went to build a treehouse and then tell the story. this isnt an essay, this is a story Jake helped set things up and build it, and Nate was his “Little Helper”. Nate would spend hours with his friends, while Sara would usually watch close by to make sure Nate doesn’t hurt himself.

One day, after a particularly rough day at work, Jake came home frustrated. After literally yelling to Sara about his day, they had dinner. They had pork chops and Brussel Sprouts THINK ABOUT YOUR DETAILS. why does this matter? why should the reader care? why did you spend more time describing the meal than Nate yelling at his wife? you can show character in that conversation, you can make me understand them, about the family dynamics, about the relationship between Sara and Jake and Nate, but instead you said, you know what's more important, exactly what they had for dinner. Nate was asked how his day was. He showed them a letter from his teacher.

“Dear Mrs. Gato:
I’m rather worried about young Nathaniel. He stays around his group of friends and is quite sociable, but whenever the children talk about their families, he seems quite dismissive. There has even been more than one instance where he has mentioned that he ‘has no daddy’, even though I have met with Mr. Gato, myself. I also noticed that when other fathers come to pick up their children, he seems rather depressed.”

After Sara read the letter, Jake seemed rather confused.

“Nate, why are you telling others I don’t exist? Your friends have seen me before!”

“Do you even know my friends' names?!” Nate yelled. Jake paused for a bit, obviously having trouble remembering. Out of frustration, Nate ran out the door. Both Jake and Sara knew that he went to the treehouse. hey, this is actually alright. its a conflict, two people want things, family is disconnected, and there's easy to understand emotional stakes. this can absolutely work!

“Maybe I should go to him,” Sara said.

“No,” said Jake, regrettably. “If anyone is gonna go to him, it has to be me.” So he went over to the treehouse.

When Jake climbed up, he saw Nate in the corner, crumpled up in a ball and depressed. Jake went to the opposite corner and made a similar position.

“Look son, I know I haven’t been there when I needed you the most. Hell, Grandpa Joe wasn’t any better. But I can honestly say that he was trying. And drat it Nate! I’m trying too!” He broke down. “I’m trying, damnit!” A few seconds later, he felt Nate’s hand on his shoulder, as if to assure Jake that everything was going to be okay. Jake then hugged Nate,both of them bawling their eyes out. this is, unfortunately, a bit too easy of a resolution to this problem, but hey, i can see the story, the workings here, and it isnt a bad idea. its a bit (well, very) cliche, but thats not a bad thing at least for learning

The next night, Jake went and called someone who was overdue for a call. Namely, his father, Joe.

“Hi dad, It’s Jake…Yeah, I figured now is as good a time as ever to call…Anyway, is it okay if Nate and I come over and visit? I’d bring Sara, but this is something that needs to be between men…Doesn't matter to me, Nate and I will make time…Great! See you then!” this is also a bit too easy too. a good question to ask yourself is 'why now?' the dad seems really quick to change his tune of being disconnected to getting involved and wanting to then mend his own relationship with his dad. why does one single instance of his child being sad change everything? we dont get enough of the dad's personality to really feel like this change is motivated. also, i wish you involved (or just got rid of) Sara in this story. she's just there to get yelled at, and you dont consider like... yelling at your spouse because you had a bad day is like, not good behavior. its just ignored and i dont want to say anything personal at you, but the fact that your story just lets it slide makes it feel like normal behavior, which like, it isnt. at least like, do something with it or dont have it in there. it doesnt do anything in the narrative anyways.

A few days later Jake and Nate started to leave for Joe’s place. When Jake first started the car, he heard a familiar tune. After a while listening, Jake and Nate sang along with the chorus.

“And the Cat’s in the Cradle and the Silver Moon, Little Boy Blue and the Man on the Moon. When you comin home dad I don’t know when, but we’ll get together then. We’re gonna have a good time then.”

while the beginning of this is incredibly bad, i see honest improvement here. you have a story here with characters wanting things and there being conflicts between them. i think you need to think about your characters more, though, and make them start to feel alive. they need a level of nuance, of feeling like people who have their own desires and traits and personality and that they have problems with themselves. think about Jake in this story and ask yourself why would Jake not be able to connect to his son? does he hold lingering trauma from his relationship with his dad? does he have difficulty just connecting with people in general? is his son more emotional and he's never had to deal with that? does his son have interests outside his own that make it difficult for him to understand his son? there's a myriad of reasons that you can choose that would be believable and meaningful and i think if you included something that made Joe more nuance, having a reason for his distance and working on himself to try and get past that issue, your story will move away from "dad just decides to be good" and becomes "dad struggles to become good despite who he is or what's happened." and the latter is much more interesting. i feel like you tried to do this with this set up of Joe, but it doesnt work because we dont see it. which gets into my other point:

show! instead of telling us Jake isnt there for Nate, show us! show us skipping his soccer games or not helping him with the treehouse because Jake has to go to work and show us Nate sitting in the school parking lot because Jake was late because he needed to pick up cigarretes but the gas station he went to didn't have his brand so he had to go to a different one and he lost track of time. you dont need to do these specifically, but theyre the kinds of things you should be showing. theyre interesting and tell us about the character and they push the story along. i dont want to see any details about anyone's food at dinner. show us the yelling, show us the argument, show us the reactions and how they affect Jake and Sara and Nate. Give us characters! Make us feel! I want to feel Jake as a bad father, I want to feel his pain of realizing that he's a bad father, and I want to feel him reconcilling or learning to be better. That's what stories are about (to me, at least)

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Snowy

archive

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in give me a vibe you want

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in ladies :toxx:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Gods at the Edge

archive

flerp fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 9, 2022

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Blades of Crimson and Azure

quote:

Long ago in Korea, sometime during the Joseon era, there was a certain duchy known as Setuon Baelli. Their local lord was a man named Kim Oong Ryong. He himself was a kind ruler, but his advisers were not as kind. Nonetheless, he was dependent on them to help run the country. none of this is useful. the lord doesnt do anything. the whole advisers thing is a total red herring because this opener makes me think “oh, so the lord is going to be the protag and do things and have to deal with evil advisers?” but no, this story has nothing to do with the lord or advisers. so why are they here?

He had a lovely daughter by the name of Kim Swe Bok. Legend had it that she was so beautiful that she put flowers to shame lame. Bok was grateful to her father for letting village children play with her when she was younger (Her father knew that a good ruler needed the trust of the people) nope, dont explain. her dad letting her play with kids is a good detail, but let the reader come to their own conclusions here, but in her current age where she recently officially became a woman, she would become became quite lonely in the palace. The other children she played with back in her youth would tell Bok of their lives this is somewhat odd -- she feels lonely, but she still talks to her friends? i feel like the loneliness line makes me think she was restricted in some way, but it seems like nothing has really changed?. While to them, it was boring and mundane, their stories fascinated Bok.

There was a time where Bok did sneak out. She would go on “adventures” (or as close as they can be for those that young) with two brave twin boys. While the fact that they were twins made it so that they shared the name Dol Nyang (Names in Joseon times were determined by the date of their birth) please please please please consider your details. sure this might seem like a cool historical fact, it doesnt do anything in this story. its just a waste. dont waste your words! tell your story!, Bok would give them the nicknames of Crimson and Azure. Azure was the more gentlemanly of the two, while Crimson was more hot headed, but had a softer side that Bok witnessed multiple times. this is really painful telling not showing. while i try not to be too harsh on people telling, saying these personality traits doesnt actually give me anything. what is gentlemanly? i can think a lot about what that means -- are they respectable to a fault, do they fight people who disrespect her, do they bow to her and call her a royal title? these kinds of details of showing give a lot more to the reader than just telling me their gentlemanly. it can also give us two characters at once. azure bows and the princess blushes -- azure is respectful and the princess is modest, maybe even embarrassed by either her power or azure (or both). azure bows and the princess brushes past him. azure is respectful and the princess doesnt want to be reminded of her station as royalty. then azure smiles and we go oh maybe its a bit they got going? maybe he teases her with her status so even though he is respectful of her position, he also sees her as a friend he can mess with. through these little details, readers can see that each person has a personality, a history, and they feel like people who exist. details and actions tell us way more about characters than just saying “gentlemanly.”

Unfortunately, their times of youthful adventures ended when they were caught by the guards. this is limp, but i think this is a larger issue that i will talk about at the end. When Bok was taken away, she heard the twins yell to her something she remembered to that day.

“Lady Bok! We will grow stronger!”

“That way, we can protect you!”

“We promise!” this dialogue is annoyingly cliche, but what bothers me is that this doesnt make any drat sense. they snuck out and got caught by guards and the boys go we will become stronger to protect you. i feel like youve seen a lot of media where characters do this thing, where they say they will get stronger to protect their love interest, but like… they usually do this when they fail to protect their love interest from something. like the evil king having their guards kidnap the princess or something. not, idk, them getting caught sneaking out. this just feel like you putting something in your story youve seen better stories do and not understanding why those stories do it and why it works.

Ever since then, Bok has been more closely guarded. She wished to this day to see the outside world about as much as a prisoner. And a prisoner she was, at least in her eyes. again, this is a great chance to show! were at the character’s low point, where all hope is supposedly lost, so i should feel something here. show the pain of her loneliness, of being trapped even more than she ever was, so that we care.

The time had come when Bok needed to find a husband. Lord Ryong was growing old, and he knew that it was not right for a woman to rule alone, especially his beloved daughter! im not saying this is sexist since you know history and all that, but it errs just on the side of being just a lil too much. i try not to assume the worse of authors, so i think this is just either a failed joke or a botched reference to historical sexism, but i think the end part of that sentence just makes me squint a lil and go hmmm i feel like youre trying to say something more here than historical sexism. not that you are (i dont think you are), just that its a vibe that i think you dont want While Ryong did give Bok the right to choose her husband, she seemed rather indecisive (she had Azure and Crimson in mind, but couldn’t decide over the two) alright, lets talk about parentheses. sometimes i want to use them too, but then i realize, the point of parentheses is to add information that isnt necessarily relevant to the sentence. and then i usually realize two things. 1) these details are relevant, so i should just make them a part of my story and not in parentheticals, or 2) these details arent relevant AND I DELETE THEM. sometimes (rarely) i will find the parentheses actually works well, but thats usually when im using a voice to create an aside to the reader or something. but yeah, usually parentheses are a bad idea So it was announced that a swordplay tournament would be held this feels kind of weird, right? the lady gets to choose her husband, and she cant decide between the twins. thats fine, but then… why a giant tournament. again, i feel like youve seen a lot of media like this where a tournament is held for a bride’s hand, but usually these stories have a character whose father or culture or whatever says nope you dont get to choose, you gotta deal with the winner of whatever contest they set. but your story doesnt have that so i feel like you add a tournament just because youre like well other stories do that, so i gotta have a tournament to win a woman’s hand! and youre not thinking about what your story specifically needs. i think a lot better here would be a contest of some sort between the two twins and have it be a test of their natures. we know azure is gentlemanly and more reserved and crimson is hotheaded. so idk, do something where those two personality traits clash and the princess has to decide on whether she wants the kinder and more reserved person or the barsher, more energetic but also more chaotic person. just think about what your story needs and not what other stories have done The winner would receive Lady Bok’s hand in marriage. The people were thrilled about the news. Not necessarily because of Lady Bok, but due to how swordsmanship in the area worked, they were expecting quite the show.

Normally, Asian sword styles were similar to martial arts in that there were so many. Such was not the case for the people of Setuon Baelli. From their youth, boys (and girls if they so choose) would train in the same basic style, then when they manifest their inner power known as Chi, they are able to master certain elements. Some use regular elements such as fire and water (which conveniently was what Crimson and Azure have mastered, respectively), while there are those who mastered elements that many would find quite unusual. For example, Lady Bok was able to manipulate Cherry Blossoms, even though they are native to Japan. Once the sword user has invoked their Chi, they are encouraged to train further on their own, tuning a basic style into something truly unique to them. To witness a sword fight in Setuon Baelli was to see art in the form of Violence. exposition. tbh this is just too long. say sword fighters use elements. ideally, i think you shouldve established this earlier, having azure and crimson (and maybe Bok) use their powers in some other scene. readers are surprisingly easy to weird get into ideas, especially if theyre cool, so if you have a guy use magic water sword powers, most readers will go “HELL YEAH!!!!!!!” instead of going “huh what??? dats not how swords work.” so its usually better to just go for it, especially in flash, instead of doing dumb expositions dump like above

The day of the tournament came, and Bok peered out her window to see who would be fighting for her affection. She saw many rugged types, but also two men, who, while there were noticeable differences, appeared to be twins.

Could it be…? Bok thought. yes of course, isnt this the whole point? what if the twins just didnt show up? would her whole plan just not work? i dont wanna cinema sins ding you here, but like, i feel like your story doesnt know what its doing. the conflict isnt “i cant marry the man i love” its “i cant choose between the two men” but your story seems to think its the former. She ran to where the tournament was being held, and asked for a list of participants.

When looking at the list given to her, she saw many names. People who merely wanted to fight, those who wished to improve their standing in life…

And there she saw Dol Nyang, written twice. Both names were written in different handwriting.

Bok was in tears. On one hand, she was happy that the boys she played with long ago would remember their promise. On the other hand, she felt like her heart was in a knot, as there was a chance that at least one of them would die. She knew that she loved them both, and it pained her that if she was to marry one, the other could possibly be lost forever. cmon lady… wasnt this your whole idea? shes really not thinking this things through. look, ok, its fine to have characters be stupid and make mistakes, characters are people. but like… this is so easily foreseeable and so constructed. there doesnt need to be a tournament. theres no outside force causing this. this sort of turmoil feels constructed because, as readers, we know its a fake conflict. consider if, instead, the princess’s dad said, nope, you cannot marry those two, tradition holds you must have a contest where your suitors fight to the death and the princess is like oh no! i love both of these men! i dont want either of them to die! and like, sure thats fairly cliche, but its cliche because it works. things are outside the character’s control and so maybe the princess tries to find a way to convince a brother to give up, or to stop the contest, or to save their lives, or something that comes from this conflict instead of just passively watching the two people she loves fight to the death.

The tournament began. Those who spectated who wished to see art in blade form truly got their won’s worth. Not only was there Azure’s water and Crimson’s flames shown, but also elements such as earth, lightning, wind, even non-natural powers such as one who was able to summon multiple blades. Luckily, as Bok would attest, not only were the twins strong, but they were also clever. They were able to outmaneuver every opponent that they faced, making it so that the final battle would be brother against brother. that sounds cool, id like to see a fun contest of magic swordplay. maybe next time.

While Bok was pleased that the twins got that far, her heart sank knowing that if one brother would die, it would be by the other's blade. i mean… wouldnt she be sad that theyre dead? she loves these guys. its not like, man it sucks that these brothers are fighting each other to the death. its that she doesnt want either of them to die

The twins got into position, and the battle began. When looking at the elements, one might see those on display and believe it was decided beforehand. After all, water extinguishes even the toughest flame, right? this sentence is useless but i think it shows you thinking. thats good. This fight was not as straightforward. Their battle was as masterful as the most complex of dances, and it was clear that it was not their first “dance” together. They were brothers, and they fought as they were that close. Each of them knew each other’s tricks, and how to solve them. and then you dont describe it at all! like c’mon, im not a big action man, but give us something! give us some display of power, some display of cleverness. give the reader something! even if your story is boring generic trash, at least give us a cool sword fight for slogging through all the dull preamble.

Alas, not every sword fight could last forever, though it was obviously a war of attrition. In the end, as both brothers were in pain due to extending their Chi to their limits, they each released a burst of their respective elements. As the smoke cleared, both brothers at first still stood.

Then, Crimson dropped to the ground. It was over. this lands limply because we dont know Crimson, dont know his personality or why the princess cares about him. it also doesnt work because like, for the reader, there’s no distinction. this isnt a surprise nor an expected result. its just two blank people we’ve barely met fighting each other that the story has considered essentially equals, so it could go either way. and not either way in the sense that its tense and close, but either way in that well, either of them could win and i wouldnt care because none of them are different.

Immediately, Bok ran to Crimson, tears in her eyes. He was still alive, but not for long. Bok was crying next to Crimson when he spoke.

“Lady Bok… Was I strong?”

She nodded.

“That’s good.”

She kissed Crimson. She loved them both equally, but she wanted to make sure Crimson at least knew. Soon after, Azure kneeled next to Crimson as well.

“Take care of her,” Crimson said. “Or my spirit will kill you.” this line is your only characterizing moment that isnt generic or cliche. it shows personality (i read it comedically, which i think might actually be wrong and is supposed to be deadly serious, but /shrug) and what kind of person crimson is, which is joking even when dying, and i kind of sort of start to care.

“I will!” Said Azure, as he held Crimson’s hand. After that, Crimson’s flame was extinguished.

Thus begun a new age of prosperity in Setuon Baelli. man, this last line is a big slap in the face of crimson. rip to crimson but now everything is perfect with him dead. idk, id just cut this line and leave it on Crimson’s death.

ok wow that was a lot. much like your stories, my crits are becoming cliche, but to recap my two major points. 1) think about the needs of your story. dont include details from other stories without thinking why those details and setups and moments happen. just because other stories have cool sword tournaments doesnt mean that your story needs it. 2) use details and action to show character. your characters are generic because they dont do anything. when you have characters take action, whether it be through dialogue or physical action or even through narration, we gain insight into them. just having the princess describe the twins in her own words would tell us about who the twins are AND who the princess is. as ive talked about a lot, saying things about characters doesnt give us a lot, but having characters do and say things reveal way more about them.

one larger form issue with this story is that i think your focus is too large here. you have a lot of things happening (princess grows up with the common kids, princess goes on adventures with the twins, the twins and her get caught, and the tournament) and none of these are given the adequate time and space to really land. its very hard to have a lot of things happening in flash, so i suggest trying to whittle down your story into a single “moment” or scene. work on trying to make that one moment standout, be powerful, be meaningful, instead of trying to do so much. less is more in flash fiction, to quote a modernist (that i hate).

i do think you really do need to read some other fiction outside of thunderdome. honestly, its not even anything specific, i just think you need to go buy a short fiction anthology and just look at how successful authors construct their stories (the pushcart prize anthology does a yearly anthology of modern short fiction and poetry, if you want a specific suggestion, but anything of quality works). just see what authors decide to describe and how they push their characters forward and that kind of stuff. like there’s a common fundamental flaw in your stories and that it feels like you just dont know how people usually tell stories. which is fine, you can learn, but please, read some fiction. not watch movies and tv, but read some actual real books.