Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

With make fun I mean let's talk about our IK system, obviously.

We've been thinking about how we rotate our blessed IKs, how we choose new ones, how we let people run wild both in chilling as well as haunting us and turning our entire forum upside down. If you didn't know the details yet, usually I pester someone seemingly random in PMs, if they do the mistake of saying yes, we make it happen using goblin based magic, then I send out a super secret explanation letter about what the power consists of and how transition is going to work (you can nominate your successor) and that's about it.
Being IK in byob is not comparable to being IK in other subforums, our IKs are usually not minor mods or here to enforce rules or anything, but it's supposed to be a fun position that engages with the community, allows creativity and having fun both for the king or queen as well as everyone else. IKs do have the explicit right to act as mods if they see the need and feel like it, with some technical limitations (max auto-approve probes are 6 hours long, no button pushing on posts older than two weeks, admin approval on certain buttons) and our request to not go hog wild in becoming a vengeful spirit that haunts every posting enemy. There never is an actual need to do anything other than fun IK stuff, reports go to Manifisto and myself, IKs have no access to that and everything actual modding-ly relies on our dirty hands.

We talked about this setup and found it quite good, it's an old setup, rotating IKs are a tradition, not being a super serious modding position comes along with our forum as well as the fact that we rotate around to let everyone become IK sooner or later.
However, we were wondering if you guys want to talk about the way we choose and let our IKs go crazy. Specifically, we were wondering if our transition times are still up to date, one IK per month is not a lot, but also not much, transitioning via nominating successors is fun but allows the crown to go in circles (so far we made sure this didn't happen too much though), if someone has a good or a bad month, it feels like you have to do stuff despite your life being stressful, or you want to be a chill IK and then get the idea that one month of chilling might not seem fair or something like that.
Other forums, especially other fyad-lites, have different setups than us, with multiple IKs rotating around every two months, IK contests to randomly choose winners, even giant IK battles where 20 people get buttons and we see who survives the longest, there also are long term IKs, like at the time when fluffy made me IK and I just kept being IK for like ten years or something I dunno I didn't have a clock.

So what do you guys think? Are you happy with our IKs? With our IK system? Have you ever been IK and felt like, this is great or, this is not too great and might see improvements? Have you never been IK despite posting here for hundred years and you feel excluded? What period of time of reign seems good - if not dynamically changing it depending on who it is or how the reign goes?
It's a new exciting year full of revolutions and ideas, so let's see if we, the posters, can bring upon a new age of monarchy into BYOB, the crown forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
We have a good group of people in Byob

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Being IK in BYOB pretty much rocks as-is, because we have enough structure to kind of stay in our lane while having enough crafting latitude to do as little or as much as possible for our art projects or fun games or whatever we do during our tenure.

We have an exceptionally talented group in BYOB. I would like to see longer tenures or co-operative tenures available for longer projects, too. Additionally, we should find a way to make our friend, nut, and our friend, sk, some sort of demigods every fall. They earned it.

sb hermit

the ik system is good, op

Stoner Sloth

the one thing i'd add is that if you feel like it'd be good to have a longer term 'helper' ik in addition to the monthly one then that would be fine, not sure if we need it given that we're a small and mostly p chill group - oh and also second hams suggestion about making ik tenures flexible for some things so that slightly longer projects can be done and/or cooperative iks

other than that though i reckon the system here works great and has led to some awesome threads and fun

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

I like the rotating ik as it is!

Cardi BYOB posted:

Additionally, we should find a way to make our friend, nut, and our friend, sk, some sort of demigods every fall. They earned it.

I think we should get a hold of that knut guy personally

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Maybe if we made pecan an IK for Dec-Oct he'd stick around :smith:

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I think the current system is good-- I didn't feel a lot of pressure to come up with a gimmick, but it was nice to have buttons when an opportunity to have fun did come up.
MAYBE if you and Manifisto feel overworked a permanent "regular-style" IK could be useful, but does BYOB really generate that many reports or problems? Asking legitimately because I cannot remember an actual "problem" probation in my time reading BYOB, and in my time as a mod I can't remember any BYOB troubles and woes coming up in conversation.

Some exceptions I can think of:
-temporary IK powers for people running threads where that would be useful-- say, Khanstant's old goblin gumball thread, or some of the more elaborate CYOAs
-I thought October was fun with the ghost IKs, so any other little one-off events with special, limited-power IKs to run around and cause mischief

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

more falafel please

forums poster

i had trouble coming up with a fun idea for Cool IK Activities but most everyone else seems to do a great job. i do like the idea of randomly picking IKs sometimes, and I think longer terms would probably take some of the pressure off

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood

Stoner Sloth posted:

the one thing i'd add is that if you feel like it'd be good to have a longer term 'helper' ik in addition to the monthly one then that would be fine, not sure if we need it given that we're a small and mostly p chill group - oh and also second hams suggestion about making ik tenures flexible for some things so that slightly longer projects can be done and/or cooperative iks

other than that though i reckon the system here works great and has led to some awesome threads and fun

the system is good as is but stoner sloth makes a solid point here. having one one-month IK and one three-month IK might be an interesting switchup.

if there are posters with a demonstrated track record of really good CYOA threads or just solid artistic achievement (khanstant, plant monster, the cool fungus person avatar that does those cool webcomics in the webcomic thread sorry i have forgotten your name but your art is cool and it's cool seeing you develop) i think it'd be worthwile giving them free-er reign with stickying their threads or w/e.

i guess my take is "it's great as is, but if there's a way to empower people who want to do more we should figure out what that is"

crimes

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

being ik was fun but also stressful? so i'm glad no one is stuck doing it forever

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
buttons for everyone all the time

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

pnac attack posted:

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood

pnac attack posted:

this would be fun to do during Meltdown May.

crimes

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Make everyone an IK of one thread but don't tell them which one

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

biosterous

one time i had a chance to be IK but i was gonna be away a bunch that month so i had to turn it down

if i am ever IK again i will use my powers to ask people if they can draw a dragon, even if they haven't posted "AMA" recently!!!!

i think the IK system is good, it's rad when people come up with a cool idea and also it's fine when they just chill! it is nice to see a different orb's name at the top of the forum every month and go "oh nice, good for them"

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

i think it would be good and helpful if maybe IKs had some advanced notice that they are gonna be an IK in 2 weeks or something so you've got time to think about a fun thing to do if you want to do a fun thing. Like tell february's IK they are gonna be the IK jan 15, not jan 30. i know that involves keeping track of time which is not very byob, but it might allow for more creativity, which is byob, so :shrug:

but it i think it is fun and good as is too! multiple IKs could definitely be fun too! I think maybe if someone has a fun idea for an IK thing to do, they should feel okay PMing one of the mods and saying 'hey i have this idea, could I be IK sometime soon?' or it doesn't even have to be a monthly thing, and maybe if multiple IKs are a thing it's not a big deal to have tenures that don't line up with months, but also it is nice for the monthly IK to feel special and royal, etc.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

FluffieDuckie

Goons Are Great posted:

like at the time when fluffy made me IK and I just kept being IK for like ten years or something I dunno I didn't have a clock.

I’m pretty sure that was because I had Stuff going on and needed real help and then you didn’t explode during your surprise forever iking so we were like well he didn’t explode before maybe he won’t explode as a mod :shrug:

This has been a look behind the curtain at the very serious and mysterious workings of the byob moderation decision making process

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i remember autobanning minutes after being ik'd because i thought you could use the forbidden tags and i was not correct

Manifisto

Bo-Pepper posted:

i remember autobanning minutes after being ik'd because i thought you could use the forbidden tags and i was not correct

:allears: this is such an intensely byob story

ty nesamdoom!

FluffieDuckie

Bo-Pepper posted:

:laugh:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

more falafel please

forums poster

Bo-Pepper posted:

oh bud. :rip: your :10bux: but that is hilarious

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

the mods took pity on my idiocy and unbanned me but i was roundly and justifiably mocked

Goons Are Gifts

so to answer the question about more serious IKs, no, I don't see any need for that. BYOB is very, very low on reports, like, usually manifisto and me have to trial by combat to determine who gets to report our once per month report and there is no actual modding going on most of the time and usually, if there is something actual serious that needs to be handled, it usually tends to not be an IK thing either. BYOB either has nothing bad at all, or something really complex and weird!

Personally, I am very happy with our current setup, but I am questioning our term length. One month is a good time, but I think a bit more dynamic handling would be better. Not sure how to do that, though, some fixed time frame that we change before, we just ask our IK candidate, or we give a max time with the option to resign at any time? Some random thing in between? I dunno!
Additionally, multiple IKs that we rotate dynamically based on who has time and ideas to do fun stuff and ignore the time factor almost entirely, that might also be fun. Apart from that, the sucession system (some game? contest? nomination? democracy?? weed smoking contest????) is also something I could see changing.

Bo-Pepper posted:

however this is a good reason to keep on going for completely random IKs for a short time

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
i would describe the current system as "random", "janky", and "chaotic" but do not see any of these things as negatives

----------------

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Goons Are Great posted:

Apart from that, the sucession system (some game? contest? nomination? democracy?? weed smoking contest????) is also something I could see changing.

If we use a weed smoking contest to choose our Idiot Kings, I think I know who will win every time. :rznv:

Percy Teatwillow

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young

Barking Gecko posted:

If we use a weed smoking contest to choose our Idiot Kings, I think I know who will win every time. :rznv:

the cool thing about this is that no one actually loses in a Weed Smoking Contest :)

THANK U Heather Papps !!

Gluehead posted:

i met snow at a restaurant once and i was like 'man, informer is a really good song!' and he just looked up from the bowl of french onion soup he was eating, mouthed the words 'gently caress off' and then he gave me the finger twice with boths hands, then crossed the two fingers to make a cross and aimed it at me
pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
listen: if we decide by weed smoking contest it'll just be me forever, and no one wants that

----------------

sb hermit

pnac attack posted:

listen: if we decide by weed smoking contest it'll just be me forever, and no one wants that

we'll just make you permanent IK and then you won't have to compete

nut

i like byob iks even if they are temporarily cops

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

nut posted:

i like...cops
:thunk:

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Percy Teatwillow

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young

THANK U Heather Papps !!

Gluehead posted:

i met snow at a restaurant once and i was like 'man, informer is a really good song!' and he just looked up from the bowl of french onion soup he was eating, mouthed the words 'gently caress off' and then he gave me the finger twice with boths hands, then crossed the two fingers to make a cross and aimed it at me
Prof. Crocodile

I like the current byob IK system because it basically gives the spotlight to a different poster every month, and they can use it as they see fit.

I think I did literally nothing during my month, and as such I consider myself the most BYOB IK ever.

Robot Made of Meat

"System." You keep using that word. It does not mean what you think it means.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN

Manifisto posted:

:allears: this is such an intensely byob story

:gb2byob:

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
I would rather have fun with past IKs than make fun of them!

sb hermit

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I like the current byob IK system because it basically gives the spotlight to a different poster every month, and they can use it as they see fit.

I think I did literally nothing during my month, and as such I consider myself the most BYOB IK ever.

I think I almost did that, but a few people wanted a joke sixer so I guess I did a little work.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
four year term

nut

deeply unsettling if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

nut posted:

i lik... op...

:thunk: