Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I have been personally harmed by capitalism.
This poll is closed.
Agree 73 80.22%
Disagree 18 19.78%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
They won't ship deliver weed to my house so I have to go in person

How about you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Jobs make me catch and spread disease.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

15 years ago, My father could no longer afford his heart medication and thus had to die from heart disease.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I got stuck with s $40k medical bill because I was supposed to call my insurance provider while I was having a seizure to ask for permission to have my shoulder that a broke while having a seizure to be operated on

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
When I worked in government I was required to enforce stupid arbitrary rules like "you forgot to sign this application so you lose out on your renewal eligibility for publicly funded child care and now you make just over the limit for people who are considered 'new' even though there's absolutely no way you can afford to pay for child care on your lovely wage."

It more or less entirely broke my spirit.

My partner acquired a very serious injury and while I had very good government insurance that kept are out of pocket costs low, the additional stress of being the sole earner has been very difficult as well. I was trapped in that spirit crushing job for quite a while longer than I ideally should have been, cuz it was basically impossible to find a job with comparable pay and benefits.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Citric acid quadrupled in price as part of the construction boom, so at work we had to find an alternative additive for retarding low-weight, high silica cement blends we use on deeper oil wells. The alternative isn't very good.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

General Dog posted:

Citric acid quadrupled in price as part of the construction boom, so at work we had to find an alternative additive for retarding low-weight, high silica cement blends we use on deeper oil wells. The alternative isn't very good.

new deepwater horizon just dropped, lmao awesome

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Six figures of student debt, good poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have to pay extra for all the good cosmetics in Halo Infinite and I'm just not spending twenty bucks on cat ears

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I have to pay a bunch of money for an apartment that I will never own.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

my parents couldn't afford to get me braces when I was younger and now that I'm over the age of 18 orthodontics are no longer covered by any dental insurance I have or have ever had and so I have to come up with $7,000 to $13,000 (lol) or just accept that I'm going to have a low-level headache for the rest of my life

I'm also still on the hook for $1,200 out of $6,800 because my wife got a jaw abscess from a botched dental procedure (years ago, in france) and my "very good" dental insurance only covered $1,200 of the $8,000 procedure. It was a surgical procedure but for some reason our insurance wasn't allowed to recognize it as such and they couldn't ("couldn't") bill it to our medical insurance. If we had waited until her jaw rotted away it would have been fully covered by my medical insurance.

dental insurance is so hosed up lmao

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

my parents couldn't afford to get me braces when I was younger and now that I'm over the age of 18 orthodontics are no longer covered by any dental insurance I have or have ever had and so I have to come up with $7,000 to $13,000 (lol) or just accept that I'm going to have a low-level headache for the rest of my life

I'm also still on the hook for $1,200 out of $6,800 because my wife got a jaw abscess from a botched dental procedure (years ago, in france) and my "very good" dental insurance only covered $1,200 of the $8,000 procedure. It was a surgical procedure but for some reason our insurance wasn't allowed to recognize it as such and they couldn't ("couldn't") bill it to our medical insurance. If we had waited until her jaw rotted away it would have been fully covered by my medical insurance.

dental insurance is so hosed up lmao

a special circle of insurance hell indeed

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Dealing with HMOs was another horrible, soul crushing aspect of that job.

"We found that because this child's grandmother has spent months training on his individual care needs so that she can become his care aide, where she is responsible for his care rather than the state providing a full-time RN, he no longer needs an RN or a care aide because she can just care for him for free"

I don't have many stories about me not having money loving me up, though I've never had very much money. I do have a loving lot of debt from school a lot of stories about capitalism and welfare programs and work requirements and bullshit policy means testing just completely loving people over.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Committing myself to a mental hospital because I was contemplating suicide over other debts and bills I couldn't pay. The only treatment I received was group therapy with no doctor involved, and left with a $12000 bill.

I did not pay the bill.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Covid shut down my dream job, so to pay the bills I took a job doing manual labor that my poo poo body was ill prepared for

[Edit: savings + unemployment lasted 18 months]

A month in, when i took a personal mental health day, I got served with a summons regarding a medical debt (2 hours in hospital, never saw a doc, just left, 6 years ago)

A week later I called suicide prevention line on my lunch break because i could handle neither the bills nor the work plus that morning my electric co decided to come read the meter for the first time since covid started and "caught us up" for 900 smackers

During the call, I got an incoming call that turned out to be my dream job coming back and I practically passed out from the mental whiplash

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 6, 2022

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

My mom passed away a few years ago and my dad is on a fixed income from a state retirement system. However, when she passed he unknowingly moved into a different tax bracket since he went from married filing jointly to single, and is now on the hook for several thousand dollars of back taxes as we try to adjust his withholding from his pension (which means even less money to work with each month for healthcare, housing, food, and everything else). He got a letter from the IRS saying that he needs to pay the balance immediately or they'll levy his home and setting up a payment plan is impossible because the system is overloaded, they're not taking calls, and the website is permanently set to "check back later."

We treat senior citizens like absolute garbage in this hellcountry.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
poo poo wages and no benefits

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Committing myself to a mental hospital because I was contemplating suicide over other debts and bills...
... left with a $12000 bill.

this is incredible, in a horrific gallows humor sense

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Among other things, overtime theft

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

as a result of the capitalistic police force I've been in a jail thats worse than prison for nearly 2 years of my life now for what people in other countries maybe spend 3 or 4 days in, if even that. All of the time I was told that a public defender was going to look after my own interests, and that he was there for me. Well, when he showed up for the first time (about 22 months into my "sentence") he didn't even know what my name was, nor did he know any of the specifics of my case. I had asked him what he was doing for the first 22 months of my jail time and I was told that he was "on vacation". Keep in mind this happened before Covid and now it's even worse here in St. Louis. Innocent people in jail for years before they can get to a goddamn court case. After I was freed (on the VERY FIRST goddamn day he showed up to court no less) I was not only forced to pay for him (which I thought that all public defenders were free right? No, they cost around 500 dollars for one day in court). I was forced to pay over 500 dollars to a man whose office COULDN'T be bothered with turning me over to another public defender, who showed up to my court case about 2 years late and who (important part here) if I didn't pay him after a period of time could send me right back into the system because of it.

I went on to go to probation for two and a half years, taking drug tests that I paid for in order to prove to them I wasn't up to any dumb poo poo (keep in mind that my charge had nothing to do with drugs) that cost like 75 dollars each time, paying every month another 150 dollars to the officer in order for him to talk to me for 5 minutes and send me on my way after I proved that I still had a job and wasn't up to any dumb poo poo. Then after all of thise was wrapped up and finished I had to pay another 400 dollars total fee for something that they couldn't even tell me what it was that I was paying for. Like some kind of "paper filing" fee to truly get off probation. Fuckin ridiculous. I did a crime that most people in Canada would spend 4 nights in the slammer for. I spent weeks if not months being in the same room as a guy who murdered a cop in cold blood, drug dealers, pimps, etc, just because of it.

To get to the long and short of it, the police in the town I live in were trying to prove a lesson to me for all the crimes I'd pulled off before hand (like smoking joints and stealing extremely small amounts of poo poo) that they couldn't pin on me technically that they could still gently caress me. That's all it was.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Couldn’t get treated for various medical issues as a kid/teen/college student because the pre-existing conditions caused by my pre-existing conditions made it too expensive to take care of the pre-existing conditions that would fix my pre-existing conditions, so instead I just suffered for twenty years for no reason.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
it hollowed out every single institution in the country to the point where people are eating sheep medicine because a guy whose family sells frozen salisbury steaks told them to on the teevee

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

paranoid randroid posted:

it hollowed out every single institution in the country to the point where people are eating sheep medicine because a guy whose family sells frozen salisbury steaks told them to on the teevee

You, personally

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

You, personally

I gotta live here

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

You, personally

Not for nothing, but rotting out the physical and mental infrastructure of the nation is a personal assault.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
my penis is much shorter than average, due to capitalism

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
I injured my spine without having health insurance because I couldn’t afford it at the time. Now I have permanent, limited functions in my back because I couldn’t receive treatment in time.

Capitalism owns.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I just watched don't look up and it's such a smug confused pile of liberal claptrap and capitalism is to blame

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I have some of the best health insurance in the failed united States. Had to switch during open season because I was informed that HRT would not be covered under current but not to worry the more expensive plan did. Wonderful that's the kind of ingenuity I expect from capitalism and luckily this happened during open season so no problem it's covered!

Well oops and alas the cheaper plan did cover hrt so now I will be paying 150 extra dollars a paycheck for according to my nice pamphlet objectively worse care

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

ate mcdonalds

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The local store shut down, the post office went away, the bank office went away, the jobs went away. It used to be possible to live in my parents village and find everything you needed nearby, now you need a car to drive 20-30km to these places. Capitalism working as intended.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
any interaction with the american health care system should radicalize you.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

ultravoices posted:

any interaction with the american health care system should radicalize you.

Why is "you, personally" so hard to understand

Do you people need an Oxford English dictionary clip or what

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
When I called to settle the summons that was against me for my medical debt (upthread) the lawyer was like "thank you have a nice day" :keke: in a really cheery voice, and I wanted to say 'no you just did a capitalism to me and now I am very sad' but instead I was just very sad

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I had to work for multiple privately owned corporations in my teens/20s

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
In my last job in America the hotel I was bartending at required me to turn in all my tips the first few weeks. Mysteriously I got no cash tips, but I did get dinged for telling a secret shopper not to tip me with his credit card because I wouldn’t receive it.
The corporate stasi are probably the most loathsome agents of capital, even if they aren’t particularly powerful or dangerous or well compensated. Human slugs.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I have to go to job interviews, where the prospective employer and I perform a tedious and intricate dance in which we constantly lie to each other, them saying that their business is like a family and claiming their employees are treated well, and me pretending that working there is my highest aspiration in life. Almost none of this charade has anything to do with the job being applied for, but if I do not perform it correctly I will eventually not be allowed to live in a building and can legally be killed by teenagers

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

A Russian troll farm posted:

I have to go to job interviews, where the prospective employer and I perform a tedious and intricate dance in which we constantly lie to each other, them saying that their business is like a family and claiming their employees are treated well, and me pretending that working there is my highest aspiration in life. Almost none of this charade has anything to do with the job being applied for, but if I do not perform it correctly I will eventually not be allowed to live in a building and can legally be killed by teenagers

You can already legally be killed by teenagers, their families just have to be rich enough for them to claim "affluenza".

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

A Russian troll farm posted:

In job interviews, I have to act like I am absolutely loving :stoked: to transform the way ecommerce sites sort and organize sneakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Capitalism harmed me by being an EMT.

A job I thoroughly enjoyed because I was helping people at the worst moments of their lives (even if the patient died, I was there for the family, which can be half the job) turned into a years long hellscape of interacting with this finely tuned engine of suffering and despair designed and maintained to transmute human misery and death in to profit for the few.

For me, living on the brink of poverty because it was a pay cut compared to working at McDonalds only papered over by working 70-80+ hours a week.

For the patients, the majority of them did not have to be in the back of my rig but they were pushed into crisis situations by capitalism ensuring they did not get the care they needed before it was a crisis.

For me again, after the above, it was knowing that every single hand I held and every set of eyes I looked in to in the ambulance was just going to get even further crushed by the debt spiral that my presence was going to inflict on them when the insurance companies came to squeeze more blood from the not-dead-yet stones until they ended up back in my rig again, and everyone would go back to step 2 above.