Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
do you :gamefreak: find yourself frequently trying to decide which smiley to put at the end of a sentence? I do, and I'd say :ghitler: I probably use more than the average number of smilies.

I find myself constrained in getting across the tone of a sentence in text frequently so the :airquote: wide array :airquote: of smilies are legitimately one of my favorite parts of this place :manning:

Do you have smilies disabled? :catstare: I want to hear about if so that sounds like a nightmare world to me. :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

What's your opinion on emojis encroaching on smilies, OP?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Geemer posted:

I occasionally mix them in on the forums and I'm kind of sad that astral fixed them being v. large 🦣

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
yeah same. I try to cut back a bit on the emoji punctuation when I sense the other person is not as fond of them as me, but it's hard to resist.

Hey, no emojis up to this point! I did it 💪🥳

ed: oh my bad, I use those two terms interchangeably

poronty fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 5, 2022

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

poronty posted:

yeah same. I try to cut back a bit on the emoji punctuation when I sense the other person is not as fond of them as me, but it's hard to resist.

Hey, no emojis up to this point! I did it 💪🥳

ed: oh my bad, I use those two terms interchangeably

i welcome all who like inline pictures in their text friend be they smiley emoticon or emoji. :amen:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I like smilies but don't use them a ton. One thing that used to drive me insane when I wanted to use them (and still does on a rare but present basis) was forgetting the codes for them and then having to painstakingly search through the smilies page and hope to god I don't just plain miss whatever it was I remembered seeing someone use months ago that I wanted for an impulse post. Thankfully we have smilie tag search now which has helped greatly but I still remember being vexed by not being able to find :dafuq: within the last few months and not being able to figure out what tags would bring it up. Probably at least a few other obscure-ish smilies that haven't gotten good tags added to them that also suffer from this, though I don't have any examples off the top of my head.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
:phoneline:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

:russbus:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The dueling farting butts are pretty cool because they can be infinitely linked together to create an army of farting butts.

:feart::feart::feart::feart::feart::feart::feart:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's a point of pride of mine that I never use them in my professional life. I feel that if I'm unable to express what I need to express with words alone then I've failed as a obituary writer.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Probably about average, op.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I never used them much back in the day and consequently I still don’t.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't use them much normally, but I dunno how much average is. I use them more if I am being cheerful, and I tend to just use simple emoji :)

However, if you give me a game like monster hunter and let me make my own auto-callouts

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
There's only a few worth using. The vast majority of them are dumb nonsense.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

:supaburn::f5h::f5::aaaaa:
:gary::captainpop::yarg:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Geemer posted:

I have smilies off and it would be nice to be able to turn the emojis off as well.

I do use them though :nurgle:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Jose posted:

:blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu::blastu:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Does anyone know where the companion smiley to :hellyeah: is? The smiley shoots the shock rifle but misses the secondary fire, then says "arse!" I thought it was on SA at one point but I think I just saw it somewhere else and assumed it was here too

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Also we should have this one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

Does anyone know where the companion smiley to :hellyeah: is? The smiley shoots the shock rifle but misses the secondary fire, then says "arse!" I thought it was on SA at one point but I think I just saw it somewhere else and assumed it was here too

We had more smilies at some point lowtax purged a bunch of unused ones in the name of speeding things up (it didn't seem to) and also increased the price to prevent it from getting out of hand again and if anything important was removed you could just buy it again but he also said he might remove it again because he only removed stupid garbage. Or something vaguely like that it was very Lowtax.

He may have done a few purges, it may also have been whoever was doing the database at that time that made the post.

e: :tif:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I use them anytime I think my intent could be misconstrued or, on SA, because they're actually funny.

:dogstare: is great.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

There's a few I really like, I attach :smith: to text messages all the time when someone gives sad news.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

How often do you end messages with an exclamation point to appear enthusiastic about whatever dumb thing you're texting your coworkers about is the real question?!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Smugworth posted:

How often do you end messages with an exclamation point to appear enthusiastic about whatever dumb thing you're texting your coworkers about is the real question?!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Smugworth posted:

Gotta balance them. A 2/3rds dynamic in either direction seems to work pretty well.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Smugworth posted:

Surprisingly often! Nobody can know that don't give a poo poo!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
:blaster::dogcited::blastback::madmax:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I used to use a lot more smilies, definitely more than average I'd say. Especially the "pop" series. Then I realized nothing was stopping me from imguring unlimited amounts of full size reaction images and gifs from my esoteric collection.

Pictured: me, transcending the smiley.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Meme Poker Party posted:

I used to use a lot more smilies, definitely more than average I'd say. Especially the "pop" series. Then I realized nothing was stopping me from imguring unlimited amounts of full size reaction images and gifs from my esoteric collection.

Pictured: me, transcending the smiley.

why do you have donkey ears

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yes, i would say that i use smilies more or less than average

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Bad Purchase posted:

yes, i would say that i use smilies more or less than average

Thank you for your honesty.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Aardvark! posted:

Thank you for your honesty.

:tipshat:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Smugworth posted:

donkey ears

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Smugworth posted:

why do you have donkey ears

it's ok, y'shtola never has to look at herself in the mirror

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

:shrek:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

need this added to the forums asap

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I like them but never remember the codes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Is that some slime species trying to use a toilet with the lid down?