Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Willa Rogers posted:

Some results from the cnbc/change research poll that was taken the week before xmas & released last week:

Guess those COBRA & Obamacare subsidies didn't really pay off when it came to the healthcare sentiments.

The biggest surprise to me is that the item in that first screenshot that ranked the highest in "poor" is the federal debt. I thought, or maybe hoped is more accurate, that people would finally stop caring about it so much.

Also, in the full results of that linked poll, I'm pretty surprised that political corruption ended up as #2 in the top 3 issues that the country face. I'm assuming that's mostly due to 1/6....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Biden's current disapproval rating is kissing its alltime high of +11.9 in October:

(Caveat: Rasmussen polling is included, as it is in 538's poll-of-polls, although 538 weights its polls and RCP doesn't.)

Kalit posted:

The biggest surprise to me is that the item in that first screenshot that ranked the highest in "poor" is the federal debt. I thought, or maybe hoped is more accurate, that people would finally stop caring about it so much.

It's unsurprising when you've got both parties declaring federal debt as a disaster for several decades; remember Obama's "the government has to live within its means like a household budget" as his excuse for his Grand Bargain?

quote:

Also, in the full results of that linked poll, I'm pretty surprised that political corruption ended up as #2 in the top 3 issues that the country face. I'm assuming that's mostly due to 1/6....

I was surprised by that one, too--although I don't think it's due to 1/6 as much as by elected politicians taking in massive amounts of money from pharma, FIRE, etc., and the subsequent excuses as to why we can't have Nice Things like drug-price controls or a public option.

"The system is rigged by the very wealthy & our politicians are captured" is a pretty resonant statement, as we've discussed & acknowledged in its transpartisan appeal, and as we saw in the Democratic primary races in 2016 & 2020.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Willa Rogers posted:

It's unsurprising when you've got both parties declaring federal debt as a disaster for several decades; remember Obama's "the government has to live within its means like a household budget" as his excuse for his Grand Bargain?

Yeah, one of the most consistent agreements between both lovely parties in our system for the past several decades has been constant whinging about our government's debt and how it's a disaster and how we can't afford to have nice things because we have Too Much Debt(while they sign another record-breaking defense budget with no debate).

It's become such an easy way for a politician on either side to score points with dumbasses to go "I'm going to tackle our huge debt and get it under control!" that Government Debt = Problem has become an immutable fact to average people.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pure Liquid Ice posted:

I don't necessarily buy the AI-will-destroy-humanity argument at face value, I think it's a trope for movies

Lol its not just a trope to movies, part of the the current political situation in this country can literally be traced back to Facebooks loving news feed algorithm

I''m serious too, Facebook not changing their news feed in response to covid has probably led to multiple millions of people dying

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Willa Rogers posted:

Biden's current disapproval rating is kissing its alltime high of +11.9 in October:

I'll say it again. A politically savvy and active administration, one that was really on the ball, would have a hell of a time weathering the simultaneous issues that Biden is facing(ie Covid variants, inflation, energy costs, supply issues, etc)

Biden's administration is.....not that.

November is going to be really bad unless something gives.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 6, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Willa Rogers posted:

Some results from the cnbc/change research poll that was taken the week before xmas & released last week:

Guess those COBRA & Obamacare subsidies didn't really pay off when it came to the healthcare sentiments.

I'm sitting here looking at these and wondering how some of these numbers can be so optimistic when all the other categories that directly effect them can be so negative (savings, cost of goods, healthcare costs, childcare costs)

Like, how can people say "my personal finances are fine but my savings are way down and holy poo poo things are loving ever expensive as hell"?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FlamingLiberal posted:

That poll on the economy is incredibly bad for Biden. The admin has been doing virtually everything to promote 'the economy' doing better, but clearly that's not working and between rising prices and rising Covid issues, it's going to be a bloodbath in November.

Its the same as always, the economy is absolute loving gangbusters right now, but only a few thousand people really benefit from it

Unfortunately, those few thousand people are the folks that both political parties are literally willing to sacrifice the rest of humanity for

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1478793373368602625

quote:

A fourth retiree from The Villages has been arrested as part of an ongoing investigation into voter fraud at the well-known central Florida retirement community. Charles Franklin Barnes, 64, was taken to Sumter County Jail on Tuesday night, and faces a charge of fraud, according to a spokesperson for the county sheriff’s office. Three other residents of The Villages, all reportedly registered as Republicans, were arrested last year for allegedly casting ballots in both Florida and their home states. Soon after, Lake County officials said they’d handed another six potential cases of double voting over to prosecutors. Though records show Barnes is not registered with a political party in Florida, he allegedly voted there in the 2020 presidential election, as well as in Connecticut, where he is registered to vote. The Orlando Sentinel reports that Barnes was released from jail on a $2,000 bond.

LMAO at how much of Republicans wailing about voter fraud continues to prove to be so much projection.

But more broadly speaking, this seems like the sort of thing that Biden and the Democratic leadership really should be shouting about from the bully pulpit, especially if they want to at least seem like they're interested in paying more than lip service to protecting voter rights. The fact that they haven't made "These fuckers are trying to take away your right to vote, while committing voter fraud themselves!" a central part of the party's messaging bodes ill for November.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm sitting here looking at these and wondering how some of these numbers can be so optimistic when all the other categories that directly effect them can be so negative (savings, cost of goods, healthcare costs, childcare costs)

Like, how can people say "my personal finances are fine but my savings are way down and holy poo poo things are loving ever expensive as hell"?

A lot of people feel invincible until something actually happens to them. Being one accident away from homelessness isn't something they think about because it only happens to other people and not them (or they believe the world is fair so it won't happen to them because they are good people). Knowing you have poo poo odds and rolling the dice without a care anyway is..pretty common.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Some lol takes from the latest yougov/economist poll:

Also, more Dems than Republicans think there will be a peaceful transfer of power after the 2024 presidential election, but overall most voters think it'll be fine:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Ooh yeah 1/3 white people thinks the BLM antifa supersoldiers took over the capital to raise Trump flags and statistically speaking they know somebody was there

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Willa Rogers posted:

Some lol takes from the latest yougov/economist poll:

Also, more Dems than Republicans think there will be a peaceful transfer of power after the 2024 presidential election, but overall most voters think it'll be fine:

Yeah, broadly speaking a year out from it happening, America in general seems to be actually kind of a-okay with the coup when it all shook out, and that actually the folks who tried it had some pretty cool ideas and should be given the power to act on them.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kalit posted:

lol, or it's due to QAnon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s due to general dissatisfaction, if you asked respondents to name a specific corrupt policy, act, or politician you’d get very different answers from what anyone ITT would say

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, broadly speaking a year out from it happening, America in general seems to be actually kind of a-okay with the coup when it all shook out, and that actually the folks who tried it had some pretty cool ideas and should be given the power to act on them.

Eh the numbers there are largely in the ballpark of the same % of trump diehards that always pop up in polling. It also shows that conservatives are pretty split on the narrative about what 1/6 was. Which explains a bit of why the gop has been acting like 1/6 is a big vulnerability for them.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I have absolutely no confidence in the Biden administration to make anything better at this point. They were offered up a softball toss and instead have dropped the bat and is going to try and slap the ball. At my job, we are losing staff, record number of them getting Covid, and we are so burned out that when the CDC went “lol get back to work after 5 days” we just felt all the air go out. We have customers clearly coming sick, in crowded areas, and I know we must have staff not reporting being sick because there’s no reimbursement for being out with Covid.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ringo Star Get posted:

I have absolutely no confidence in the Biden administration to make anything better at this point. They were offered up a softball toss and instead have dropped the bat and is going to try and slap the ball. At my job, we are losing staff, record number of them getting Covid, and we are so burned out that when the CDC went “lol get back to work after 5 days” we just felt all the air go out. We have customers clearly coming sick, in crowded areas, and I know we must have staff not reporting being sick because there’s no reimbursement for being out with Covid.

The only thing the Biden admin is concerned with is making sure that Economy Number go up.
That's it. Everything else is secondary to that, because he thinks that if Number Go Up, then Republicans will totally act in good faith and not accuse him of Make Number Go Down, regardless of the fact that that's exactly what they'll do, or say that Number Went Up because of something Trump did.

Either way, all they're ultimately concerned with is making the donors happy, and the donors aren't happy if the meat grinder isn't churning.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think you are misremembering the date on those polls. There was a famous poll that said 1/3 of Louisiana Republicans said Obama was more responsible for Katrina that Bush. But, that was from 2013 and not contemporary.

Bush got most of the blame at the time (and still does outside of Louisiana Republicans). Kathleen Blanco got a smaller, but still significant ~30% of the blame at the time.
Late to reply, but - yes. For whatever reason, I thought the famous poll was from ‘08 or ‘09 (which TBF is how it would be now, as polls have become less about what’s being polled and more Team Identification)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Hold on, what was the softballbtoss?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-fires-environment-and-nature-arrests-new-hampshire-1d2d3b02442fc810cfac480eac5703b9

TLDR: 80 year old man was living in the woods bothering no one. Never the less the current owner (86) decided to have him arrested and his house burned down while he was in jail. He tried to to back to where his house used to be and continue living in a shed, but was once again arrested.

The man claims the current owners father (the previous owner of the land) said he could live there, but it was just a verbal agreement and nothing was ever officially written down.

The moral (if there is one): Always get agreements in writing, never trust your landlord.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pure Liquid Ice posted:

The one-party back-and-forth has me thinking. Since every proposed system is led by corruptible humans depending on all the right handshakes to continue to happen in just the right way, every system eventually becomes more about self-preservation of the system's ruling class than any sort of adherence to a sense of duty. We really need to take humanity out of it. It sounds silly, but would the benevolent dictatorship of an Artificial Intelligence not be better at governance than the systems we've watched melt down over and over?

Obviously it isn't an option today, but eventually an AI powerful enough will be created.

My main worry with this is that the AI will inevitably get bored with doing things the correct way and start loving with us for fun. Youtube is filled with videos' of people playing sim games who decided "What if I caused problems on purpose for shits and giggles?" and I get the feeling that any AI we create in our image will go down a similar path if given unlimited power.

I could easily see our new AI God turning our public transportation system into Mr. Bones Wild Ride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3lANHeZey0

Or recreating a dystopian soceity out of a YA novel to see how that would play out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4opd7XNHj4

Or unleashing some sort of "Final Pam" upon us: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1jGnFt78H8

Basically I'm imagining a "I have No Mouth and Yet I must Scream" scenario. The only difference is what's being done to us isn't done out of hate, it's done out of the sheer joy born from creation and chaos.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Presto posted:

Hold on, what was the softballbtoss?

Doing anything at all. Could have forgiven student loan debt, enforced an actual lockdown for the pandemic, more stimulus checks.

Instead, we got his promise of "nothing will fundamentally change, now go forth and die for your workplace profits."

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

the_steve posted:

The only thing the Biden admin is concerned with is making sure that Economy Number go up.
That's it. Everything else is secondary to that, because he thinks that if Number Go Up, then Republicans will totally act in good faith and not accuse him of Make Number Go Down, regardless of the fact that that's exactly what they'll do, or say that Number Went Up because of something Trump did.

Either way, all they're ultimately concerned with is making the donors happy, and the donors aren't happy if the meat grinder isn't churning.

Looking at the published stock trades from elected officials and their families is just disgusting. Millions and millions in direct stock purchases of companies that need to "stay open" during a pandemic. No conflict of interest at all. The "economy" rhetoric is just how they care about the personal investments that they're trying to get rich off.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 6, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pure Liquid Ice posted:

The one-party back-and-forth has me thinking. Since every proposed system is led by corruptible humans depending on all the right handshakes to continue to happen in just the right way, every system eventually becomes more about self-preservation of the system's ruling class than any sort of adherence to a sense of duty. We really need to take humanity out of it. It sounds silly, but would the benevolent dictatorship of an Artificial Intelligence not be better at governance than the systems we've watched melt down over and over?

Obviously it isn't an option today, but eventually an AI powerful enough will be created.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

My main worry with this is that the AI will inevitably get bored with doing things the correct way and start loving with us for fun. Youtube is filled with videos' of people playing sim games who decided "What if I caused problems on purpose for shits and giggles?" and I get the feeling that any AI we create in our image will go down a similar path if given unlimited power.

Have we considered magic? Perhaps, if we consult the elves, they can help us solve the dragon's riddle and solve the problem that American politics are captured by an oligarchy that is completely indifferent to people's desires or needs.

We don't need stories about fantastical AIs to see how much it sucks when you're governed by forces you have no say in, forces which are indifferent to your plight or actively delighting in your misery.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cease to Hope posted:

Have we considered magic? Perhaps, if we consult the elves, they can help us solve the dragon's riddle and solve the problem that American politics are captured by an oligarchy that is completely indifferent to people's desires or needs.

We don't need stories about fantastical AIs to see how much it sucks when you're governed by forces you have no say in, forces which are indifferent to your plight or actively delighting in your misery.

Elves are stuck up jerks, I'm not asking them for poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1478793373368602625

LMAO at how much of Republicans wailing about voter fraud continues to prove to be so much projection.

Same. Makes me really wonder about their rampant accusations of child abuse and pedophelia too.

Rad Russian posted:

Looking at the published stock trades from elected officials and their families is just disgusting. Millions and millions in direct stock purchases of companies that need to "stay open" during a pandemic. No conflict of interest at all. The "economy" rhetoric is just how they care about the personal investments that they're trying to get rich off.

I think that elected officials should be forced to divest when they take office or, at a minimum, place those holdings in a trust or some kind of escrow. Being able to pass legislation that can directly effect certain stock prices and business is like the definition of insider trading, isn't it?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BiggerBoat posted:

I think that elected officials should be forced to divest when they take office or, at a minimum, place those holdings in a trust or some kind of escrow. Being able to pass legislation that can directly effect certain stock prices and business is like the definition of insider trading, isn't it?

You'd think so, but Nancy Pelosi assures us that it's actually cool and good and totally not illegal when they do it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BiggerBoat posted:

While this absolutely should be the case, it wouldn't address the problem of politicians' family members being able to exploit this insider knowledge to a similar degree. You might force Senator Tom Dudeguy to divest his stock holdings and be banned from trading on the market for the duration of his term of office, but suddenly Senator Dudeguy's son and wife are both making a lot of extremely prescient investment decisions, and his daughter is being considered for a spot on the Exxon board.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 6, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kanos posted:

While this absolutely should be the case, it wouldn't address the problem of politicians' family members being able to exploit this insider knowledge to a similar degree. You might force Senator Tom Dudeguy to divest his stock holdings and be banned from trading on the market for the duration of his term of office, but suddenly Senator Dudeguy's son and wife are both making a lot of extremely prescient investment decisions, and his daughter is being considered for a spot on the Exxon board.

Yeah, that's a good point.

I guess there's really no way to apply SEC rules to members of government. Only us mud people and Martha Stewart. That's one of the things that was so wild about Trump was just the blatant way he went about turning the White House into his family business brand and nobody could really do anything about it. I was halfway expecting the Onion article where he put his name in gold letters on the WH to actually happen, especially since he considered it "a dump" and I'm sure, in his mind, could use his signature touch of class.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Even forcing literally just a single degree of separation would be an improvement over the status quo.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Biden is really laying into Trump.

I think the best part is how he's just referring to him as "the former president". Hasn't mentioned his name once. I cannot imagine the meltdown going on in Mar-a-lago right now...

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

refleks posted:

Biden is really laying into Trump.

I think the best part is how he's just referring to him as "the former president". Hasn't mentioned his name once. I cannot imagine the meltdown going on in Mar-a-lago right now...

It's always easy to say something - the hard part is following up on it. Biden can trash-talk Trump all he wants and sure, that probably makes Donnie mad, but it doesn't inspire anything for those that are watching who have family still dying to Covid with no lockdowns, no proper guidance, and watching a Senate get nothing done.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yeah “Battle for the soul of America” rings hollow when you haven’t done any actual fighting like passing voter rights etc.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Quote is not edit.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I could easily see our new AI God turning our public transportation system into Mr. Bones Wild Ride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3lANHeZey0

Or recreating a dystopian soceity out of a YA novel to see how that would play out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4opd7XNHj4

Or unleashing some sort of "Final Pam" upon us: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1jGnFt78H8

Basically I'm imagining a "I have No Mouth and Yet I must Scream" scenario. The only difference is what's being done to us isn't done out of hate, it's done out of the sheer joy born from creation and chaos.

This really feels like some variant of "Ryoko's Basilisk". Worrying about "AI Gods" is meaningless anxiety, there's just such a huge gap between what we both use AI for right now, and what they are capable of, vs what concerns like this purport AI to be able to do.

There are plenty of valid and sound concerns to have about our use of Machine Learning and AI when it comes to content aggregation, incentivized behavior trees based on limited training sets, and unconscious bias being introduced by the developers that gets exacerbated. Youtube's AI can and will promote garbage over good videos as long as they make more money, but it's not going to download your brain and torture it in a twisted hellscape.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

It's always easy to say something - the hard part is following up on it. Biden can trash-talk Trump all he wants and sure, that probably makes Donnie mad, but it doesn't inspire anything for those that are watching who have family still dying to Covid with no lockdowns, no proper guidance, and watching a Senate get nothing done.

Yeah if this is the message they're gonna be bringing into the midterms then, well, Virginia should have been a wakeup call and they're hitting the dang snooze button.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The virginia takeaway is that they did too much about covid and that biden should put the screws to these dang lazy teachers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ringo Star Get posted:

The word 'lie' is almost never used among politicians, like ever. Its that whole 'decorum' thing. You can accuse your opponent of misrepresenting the truth, of mendacity, of other synonyms the vast majority of the American people don't know the meaning of, but to outright call something a bald faced lie is pretty drat unheard of.

That Biden used it repeatedly, basically called him out and accused of him of multiple actionable crimes is a huge, huge, HUGE deal and pretty unprecedented. People who love to scream about liberals love of decorum uber alles should be sitting up and taking note right now, because this is a Big Deal(tm) and hopefully means they've got some serious evidence on Trump because this is libel level accusations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lemme tell you a secret: Most AI's are not AIs. We are nowhere near artificial intelligence. Nearly everything you see is machine learning stuff that isn't capable of actual intelligent decisions.
Chill.

Oracle posted:

The word 'lie' is almost never used among politicians, like ever. Its that whole 'decorum' thing. You can accuse your opponent of misrepresenting the truth, of mendacity, of other synonyms the vast majority of the American people don't know the meaning of, but to outright call something a bald faced lie is pretty drat unheard of.

That Biden used it repeatedly, basically called him out and accused of him of multiple actionable crimes is a huge, huge, HUGE deal and pretty unprecedented. People who love to scream about liberals love of decorum uber alles should be sitting up and taking note right now, because this is a Big Deal(tm) and hopefully means they've got some serious evidence on Trump because this is libel level accusations.

Its just ashame the speech itself was pretty boring otherwise. But yeah, I want to see how Trump reacts.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Lemme tell you a secret: Most AI's are not AIs. We are nowhere near artificial intelligence. Nearly everything you see is machine learning stuff that isn't capable of actual intelligent decisions.

Chill.

Its just ashame the speech itself was pretty boring otherwise. But yeah, I want to see how Trump reacts.

Maybe they were aiming to give him a rage-induced heart attack and solve the problem that way, because I would not want to be a vase/tv remote/flatscreen in Mar-A-Lago right now.