Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

monolithburger posted:

Is the opening game of the season not a marquee game?

Probably because they'd always loving lose.

edit: The Season Opener should be the Grand Final rematch, change my loving mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Testekill posted:

edit: The Season Opener should be the Grand Final rematch, change my loving mind.

Having that open the season sets unfair narratives for both teams.

I think it should rotate or include different teams (so no annual set matchup or host) but not a set GF rematch.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

monolithburger posted:

Is the opening game of the season not a marquee game?

We'll we didn't have the opening game this year.

But I'd say no, it isn't based around a holiday, it is a Thursday night game so less people can go due to work or school the next day. It just happens to be the first game of the round and the first game of the season, the afl likes the fixture because two big clubs means a good crowd, even for a thursday night. But it isn't a special game.

Testekill posted:

Probably because they'd always loving lose.

It was this year and it was a giant wet fart, why waste a grand final rematch on the first round which will have a decent attendance anyway, save it for round 6-9 when it gets a bit colder and you need bums on seats.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 7, 2022

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm ok with Carlton/Richmond to start the season if it means they're both going to be garbage in 2023, as god intended.

Gotta melt that plastic early

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

harperdc posted:

Having that open the season sets unfair narratives for both teams.

I think it should rotate or include different teams (so no annual set matchup or host) but not a set GF rematch.

I’ve always thought the first Friday game of the year should be the Prelim losers.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Corzaa posted:

I’ve always thought the first Friday game of the year should be the Prelim losers.

This isn't too bad an idea, probably more interesting than the GF replay, but more for the diehards than the general audience maybe.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Fixture is out

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Can't remember Richmond not facing at least one of Coll, Essendon and Carlton twice.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

https://www.afl.com.au/news/871161/wildcard-round-introduced-in-vfl-finals-shake-up

quote:

THE AFL has shaken up the final stages of the 2023 VFL season, introducing a Wildcard Round that will see four clubs battle it out for the last two spots in the finals.

The 2023 VFL season will consist of 22 rounds, with all 21 teams to play 18 matches and have four byes each.

The major change from 2022 will come in the week after the end of the home and away season, with the teams that finish seventh to 10th on the ladder to face-off in two sudden death clashes on the weekend of August 26-27.

The winner of the 7th v 10th and 8th v 9th games will move through to the finals, while the losers will be eliminated. The top six teams will have a bye during the Wildcard Round.

The highest-ranked winner from the Wildcard Round will enter the finals as the seventh-ranked team.

The idea of a Wildcard Round has been floated for the AFL before, with club bosses expressing their support for the concept as far back as 2017.

However, outgoing AFL boss Gillon McLachlan said this year the current top-eight system is set to stay, at least in the short term.

"I think we have a finals series that works for us," McLachlan said in March.

"I know people talk about different additions and wildcards and stuff like that. We've reviewed that. Our supporters like it, we like it, I think our broadcasters like it.

"The best team, in my view, through this (current) system wins. So it will stay."

The concept has gathered some momentum since the AFL introduced the pre-finals bye in 2016, which currently sees no AFL games played for almost two weeks following the end of the home and away season.

This year, that gap in the schedule was filled by the opening round of the AFLW season. In 2023, the first full week of the VFL finals will also be played during the AFL's pre-finals bye.

The opening week of the 2022 AFL finals was one of the best in living memory, with players refreshed after a week off producing four memorable games to begin the finals campaign.

"The introduction of the Wildcard Round will provide an exciting new element to the 2023 Smithy's VFL season," AFL head of state league competitions Jennie Loughnan said.

"With 21 teams competing in the Smithy's VFL, the addition of the Wildcard Round provides more teams the opportunity to contend for finals.

"We expect the Wildcard Round to create more anticipation and excitement for competing clubs and football fans throughout the home and away season, with more sides remaining in finals contention later into the regular season.

"We are extremely proud of the rich tradition and history of the VFL and its clubs, and are also open to exploring exciting new opportunities, such as the Wildcard Round, for clubs, players and fans involved within the competition."

The full fixture for the VFL season, which will begin on the weekend of March 25-26, will be announced at a later date.

The VFL Grand Final will be played on Sunday, September 24, the weekend before the Toyota AFL Grand Final.

COMPETING TEAMS IN THE 2023 VFL

VFL standalone clubs: Coburg, Frankston, Northern Bullants, Port Melbourne, Southport Sharks, Werribee, Williamstown

AFL aligned clubs: Box Hill Hawks, Casey Demons, Sandringham

AFL standalone clubs: Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Footscray Bulldogs, Geelong Cats, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney Swans

AFL really don't want a major club like Carlton missing out just on percentage again. Clubs don't even play everyone once in the VFL, what a pointless extra round.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Get hosed Jeff Kennett you crusty old cumrag

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Testekill posted:

AFL really don't want a major club like Carlton missing out just on percentage again.

I think it was Hume (maybe) nearly twenty years ago (crikey) who turned me around on this. That arsehole deep square leg was on one of his boring rants about the fixture needing to be even, but Hume (probably) said that we only need a top six in field of eighteen, so the seventh and eighth are effectively wildcards to address the uneven fixture.

Genius. That very night I started sleeping well and looking forward to tomorrow. Blues for the flag

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I hope whoever comes in after Gil isn't a pushover melt and stops loving with the rulesets.

I just want one season where we don't dramatically change something to make the game worse off. The stand rule still needs to gently caress off

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

drunkill posted:

What’s he said now?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Richie vandenberg is a gigantic piss baby

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

What’s he said now?

his man lost the hawks vote

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

drunkill posted:

Aw, I thought he'd died there for a moment

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

monolithburger posted:

Aw, I thought he'd died there for a moment

Thats how I feel each time I see Sam Newman is trending :(

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/superfooty/status/1606446284805910529?s=46&t=ueDSNYBvcKcZPLgghpSDsA

VFL/VFA Legend Barry Round has passed away. He played 328 games for Footscray and Sydney, winning the 1981 Brownlow medal and was the inaugural Sydney Swans Captain. Following his VFL retirement he went on to play a further 110 games for the Williamstown Seagulls and played in two premierships, captain-coaching the Seagulls in the 1990 premiership. He was inducted into the AFL HOF in 2001 and inducted as a legend into the Seagull's HOF in 2014.

The medal for best young player in the VFL bears the names of him, fellow VFL/VFA legend Des Forthergill and Sam Mitchell as these three players are the only players to win not only the J.J Liston Trophy but also the Brownlow.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 24, 2022

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Merry Crippsmas goons

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

drunkill posted:

Merry Crippsmas goons

:hmmyes:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I’ll probably chuck up a 2023 thread while work is slow if no one else is desperate to do it

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Was funnily enough thinking about that earlier today - I'd also like to get back into the ultimate footy fantasy game again this year alongside tips.

Supercoach is for chumps

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hello, go Carlton. It sounds weird I know but here we are.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Chairchucker posted:

:hmmyes:

"blues for the flag 2023"
- nostradamus
-- michael scott

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’ll probably chuck up a 2023 thread while work is slow if no one else is desperate to do it

No rush, it’s still the off-season (an off-season?). There’s plenty of time before the Saints disappoint once again.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kirks Sugar Free Pasito

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

Kirks Sugar Free Pasito

Passiona

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Bundaberg do the best passionfruit soft drink I reckon.

Chairchucker posted:

Less and less people are saying it.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

cmndstab posted:

Less and less people are saying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJPeg1b-jVo

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

gently caress you, Wimmers Sarsaparilla is the best drink.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Speaking of drinks, one thing I miss about South Australia is Nippy's juice.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

Speaking of drinks, one thing I miss about South Australia is Nippy's juice.

Their unsweetened orange juice is pretty great, yeah. As a kid one of my favourite things was to mix that with lemonade.

Speaking of uniquely SA drinks, Fleurieu Milk Company puts out fantastic milk. I'm lactose intolerant, so is my wife and both my daughters, and we literally go through around 12 litres of their lactose free milk per week. Our local servo has started stocking extra just because we so reliably buy every bottle they've got (you can't get it at Coles or Woolworths). It's so much nicer than any of the Zymil or Liddells crap that most supermarkets offer as their only lactose free options.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 11, 2023

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cmndstab posted:

Their unsweetened orange juice is pretty great, yeah. As a kid one of my favourite things was to mix that with lemonade.

Speaking of uniquely SA drinks, Fleurieu Milk Company puts out fantastic milk. I'm lactose intolerant, so is my wife and both my daughters, and we literally go through around 12 litres of their lactose free milk per week. Our local servo has started stocking extra just because we so reliably buy every bottle they've got (you can't get it at Coles or Woolworths). It's so much nicer than any of the Zymil or Liddells crap that most supermarkets offer as their only lactose free options.

I get it from my local Drakes Foodland, albeit I don't get the lactose free ones. Coles and Woolworths were the ones putting the screws to all the Fleurieu dairy farms and buying up the bankruptcy results, which is I expect why they aren't available there.

They have lactose free yoghurt also.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 11, 2023

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

I get it from my local Drakes Foodland, albeit I don't get the lactose free ones. Coles and Woolworths were the ones putting the screws to all the Fleurieu dairy farms and buying up the bankruptcy results, which is I expect why they aren't available there.

They have lactose free yoghurt also.

My two year old threw a screaming tantrum this morning because we didn't give her a third Fleurieu yoghurt before daycare.

We have a Foodland near us which I'd love to go to instead of Coles/Woolies, but for some reason it's always garbage with products out of date, meat that ends up being off, etc. I guess I should probably just drive to the next suburb over.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
They are just Drakes, Not Drakes Foodland anymore, they left the foodland group and got their own supplier chain. but yeah, the best place to buy Fleurieu Milk stuff is from the store in the central market if you can make it there, it's loaded.

The foodland group doesn't stock most fleurieu stuff, It's specifically Drakes.

ssmagus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 12, 2023

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Geez, didn't realise there were so few places to buy them!

Fortunately of all places, OTR seems to have a deal with them which is where I usually buy their milk from. I didn't even realise they had a central market store, I'll have to check it out next time I'm at Chinatown.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw5W1AEeK-c

we'll always have nippy's

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

cmndstab posted:

Geez, didn't realise there were so few places to buy them!

Fortunately of all places, OTR seems to have a deal with them which is where I usually buy their milk from. I didn't even realise they had a central market store, I'll have to check it out next time I'm at Chinatown.

It's probably more common than I make it out to be, My local Drakes sells all of the fleurieu milks and yogurt, And out of the 3 nearby foodlands only one sells any fleurieu products, just the lactose free milks. You'll never see any at colesworths as noted.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Passiona Pasito of the Christ