Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I remember being thrilled to see Ivy sashay away, because I couldn't handle her name constantly being yelled like Ru was calling in cows for milking.

Also gently caress Crave with a rusty fork for not having Untucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Also liking the queens so far and thought that catwalk song is pretty good

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Yeah it is grating and in my mind I was thinking she was Willow Pillow also until it was pointed out.

I'm holding off picking favorites until I see everyone. The only thing I really knew about this season was that one of the contestants is a straight guy.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Nihonniboku posted:

She was only doing it with the name, which I feel like that was the intention of her drag name.

It just make me think of Aspirin

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/TheOrionStory/status/1479723006410768385

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
That was actually delightful. I didn't know if they'd get me back but they sure did. Was actually nice to see Ru do a lipsync too, it was cool and we don't really get those lately since they can't do live finales.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm so tired of Michelle Visage, my lord.

Nihonniboku posted:

She was only doing it with the name, which I feel like that was the intention of her drag name.

Nah, apparently it's a combination of Willow from Buffy and Pill because she has to take meds due to her illness.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

Nah, apparently it's a combination of Willow from Buffy and Pill because she has to take meds due to her illness.

Oh, well, that's much less clever than I thought

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Can I suggest a new section for the huge effort (it is amazing!!!!) that the OP covers?

Good/Notable RuCap shows: our Yuhua Hamasaki Bootleg, our IM*H*O the Show, Sibling Watchery, Race Chaser, etc.

I think it's a great idea, but I've really cut down on the various DR-related media in the last year so I'm not the best one to fill it out. If someone wants to write one out, I'd add it to the OP.

Thanks!

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I wasn’t ready to stan Willow Pill so hard but turning darkness into humor/absurdity has been the thing that’s kept me alive for decades. I’m glad Ru got her performance. I just hope we don’t have to hear Widdle Piw all season.

Vintersorg posted:

The bathtub thing was a little basic - wacky wacky altho the toaster bit was funny.
The title was Self-Care in Quarantine, so my takeaway was a critique of how we prescribe treatment for mental health. The use of that Enya song was brilliant. Orion’s was wacky wacky. Willow’s was satire.

And I don’t know about y’all but I was kind of living for her entrance look. She was one feather boa away from giving me full Ashley Tisdale in the early aughts fantasy.

Kornbread’s song was a loving bop. And yes we could understand the words, Michelle.

Bosco strikes me as someone who is quick witted and naturally funny, so I’m interested in seeing them bring that to a challenge.

resting mitch face fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 9, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

resting mitch face posted:

Kornbread’s song was a loving bop. And yes we could understand the words, Michelle.

That comment from Michelle had me, my partner, and my mom-in-law (she watches with us sometimes, she hates the drama but loves the runways) going "....What?!" Immediately followed up with cheers as Lizzo and Ru basically told Michelle to shut her white rear end up. :allears:

TS Madison as a guest judge forever. :colbert: I always want Bobby Moynihan back, I thought he was a better "Straight dude" judge than Joel McHale or Jeff Goldblum.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goldblum was great and learning he was driven to tears because his brother went thru conversion therapy was beautiful. Imagining his brother having a more accepting life if growing up today.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

"....What?!" Immediately followed up with cheers as Lizzo and Ru basically told Michelle to shut her white rear end up. :allears:

I'm not even sure that's what Ru was doing, though the editing sure made it seem that way.
The way Ru said "Now I know that type of music," with the leading inflection, really made it sound like she was about to say "but I also couldn't understand a drat thing you said" before it got cut out.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Willow jumping into a bath with a toaster while Enya is playing is exactly my niche of humour. Went into the premiere not really having a favourite but she's probably my pick now. She's also giving intense winner edit energy.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Michelle mood was just loving rotten this priemere

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I watch Drag Race with a group of four of five people (the number varies depending on availability) and we were all kinda burnt out from S13 and UK3 going in, and the two of us who have seen every season from 3 onward (I've seen them all, one friend started at 3 on my recommendation re: slurs) were ABSOLUTELY revitalized by this., What a return to form. A photography challenge that requires them to humiliate themselves in a non-feitshy way (looking at you, all those baby challenges from season 10 onward), a main stage challenge straight from All Stars, that proves your ability to plan and execute a good show, and a runway about dressing the best you can. Willow surprised all of us (the toaster came out and we all had synchronous reactions of "oh god please dont make a suicide joke OH MY GOD THE TOAST") and Kornbread feels like what Silky wanted to be. I want to see more from every single queen who's been on screen so far and that's a great sign.

Here's hoping there's not a messy as hell Rusical and a bad team acting challenge immediately out of the gate to stomp on this goodwill I'm feeling.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Shneak posted:

Willow jumping into a bath with a toaster while Enya is playing is exactly my niche of humour. Went into the premiere not really having a favourite but she's probably my pick now. She's also giving intense winner edit energy.

She actually doesn't throw it in the tub for real. It's ambiguous because of the perspective, but from one angle you can see it on its side on the table.

Logistically, it's probably a bad idea to drop a heavy metal object into a tub you're going to lie down in, so it could go either way:
  • Playing it straight, albeit with that initial shock (:v:) effect, or
  • Immediately subverting it as only getting her toast out to bring in the tub

She's chosen not to clarify the intended interpretation. Whatever the case, her mind :allears:

https://twitter.com/WillowPillQueen/status/1480268524652318727

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't know why someone would think that. The gag was she just took the toast out.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

You could always eat the toast then throw it in anyway *shrug*. Personally, I lean towards her putting it down and just taking the bread because that to me is like an expertly crafted vintage Simpsons joke. But clearly a lot of people saw it the other way, including me at first.

Anyways, stop everything you're doing and watch Willow's performance of "Downtown" from Spring 2020's Digital Dragfest (good lord, was that really almost 2 years ago?)

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

gandlethorpe posted:

Anyways, stop everything you're doing and watch Willow's performance of "Downtown" from Spring 2020's Digital Dragfest (good lord, was that really almost 2 years ago?)
:vince:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

STAN KORNBREAD.

https://twitter.com/kornbreadTMFS/status/1480502433939791872

Context:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Oh right, I just now realized
Ru called Kornbread a star, yeah? Congratulations on the season 14 win! She deserves it I'm sure we'll see over the next 12 weeks.

(Though from what I've seen so far she just might. Definitely a better Silky.)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Poulpe posted:

(Though from what I've seen so far she just might. Definitely a better Silky.)

I completely agree, but I also feel like both Kornbread (just realized, is that a Korn reference?) and Silky are going to get real sick of the comparisons by the end of the season, and I suspect some of the show's worst fans are going to find a way to be racist about it.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I completely agree, but I also feel like both Kornbread (just realized, is that a Korn reference?) and Silky are going to get real sick of the comparisons by the end of the season, and I suspect some of the show's worst fans are going to find a way to be racist about it.

What's important and kind of funny is that nobody at all is comparing her to Kandy Muse, because god knows nobody on this planet believes she deserved her top 4 placement. Bloody big girl pass, man.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Excuse me, y'all ain't even met my queen Angeria yet. :colbert: That lovely Southern accent makes me very homesick. :allears:

I also liked Deja's promo stuff a lot, although she strikes me as not going very far. Her MtQ was very "I'm just here to express myself and have a good time, and hey, if I don't win, that's okay too" which is a big ol' Drag Race "death flag".

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Her MtQ was very "I'm just here to express myself and have a good time, and hey, if I don't win, that's okay too" which is a big ol' Drag Race "death flag".

You have to WANT IT.
Just, you know, not as much as Jan.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Poulpe posted:

What's important and kind of funny is that nobody at all is comparing her to Kandy Muse, because god knows nobody on this planet believes she deserved her top 4 placement. Bloody big girl pass, man.

I kind of forgot all about her. Season 13 started on such a bad note with that whole fake "we're cutting half of you from the show on the first day,", and it never really recovered. The stigma of being in the bottom the first episode carried a dark cloud over the entire season. And it was probably the most blatant season where the judging half the time made absolutely no sense, and more than just Kandy got carried to the finale by production.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The RPDR official Youtube channel uploaded their top 10 most watched performances of 2021, and #1 was the Porkchop team. The other team wasn't even #2. That position was also taken up by Porkchop girls (you can probably guess which performance). Knowing how dirty they were done for the entire season but that the official account can't hide how much more popular they were brings this weird feeling of anger and vindication.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

gandlethorpe posted:

You could always eat the toast then throw it in anyway *shrug*. Personally, I lean towards her putting it down and just taking the bread because that to me is like an expertly crafted vintage Simpsons joke. But clearly a lot of people saw it the other way, including me at first.

She performed the number at Berlin nightclub in Chicago, too- I have video clips I can stitch together and upload to youtube if anyone is interested in seeing it translated to a live action form :)

e: I’m so proud of Denali and Kahmora for that lip sync and for the Chicago Drag Excellence video. I knew Denali for a while, and the Chicago video led indirectly to several drag talents moving to this city, and I’m so happy for Denali’s success :cry:

https://youtu.be/VQi1AEsEb00
Watch this if you haven’t yet- it’s a lovely video that captures the best parts of drag in Chicago’s clubs. 💖

Hug in a Can fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 10, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I kind of forgot all about her. Season 13 started on such a bad note with that whole fake "we're cutting half of you from the show on the first day,", and it never really recovered. The stigma of being in the bottom the first episode carried a dark cloud over the entire season. And it was probably the most blatant season where the judging half the time made absolutely no sense, and more than just Kandy got carried to the finale by production.

Season 13 is the one season that I just completely don't give a poo poo about and will never re-watch. The only queen I still even care about is Denali, with Kahmora coming in second.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

The RPDR official Youtube channel uploaded their top 10 most watched performances of 2021, and #1 was the Porkchop team. The other team wasn't even #2. That position was also taken up by Porkchop girls (you can probably guess which performance). Knowing how dirty they were done for the entire season but that the official account can't hide how much more popular they were brings this weird feeling of anger and vindication.

I love the seventeen "cut to Ru's stank face" moments because they needed to justify them losing the challenge :allears:
If you ever needed a hard example of Drag Race Gaslighting, this is it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

Denali's verse lives in my head rent-free, as does Joey following it up with "I'M A GAY-rear end BITCH, I'M JOEY JAY".

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Vintersorg posted:

I don't know why someone would think that. The gag was she just took the toast out.

Yeah it's very obviously a psych out. "oh she gave up on self care I guess she's going to off herself in the tub oh wait no she just wanted toast"

Also considering he's old as gently caress doing the baby talk thing is super skeevy, c'mon Ru

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Denali's verse lives in my head rent-free, as does Joey following it up with "I'M A GAY-rear end BITCH, I'M JOEY JAY".

They're all pretty memorable honestly.

"From the house of HAWWLLL"
"The winner is RosÉÉÉ"
"Tamisha. Iman. Is coming. For you."
"Wiggle to the top"

I have a pretty low attention span, but I always end up watching the whole thing if I happen to catch even part of it.

On the other hand, I remember next to nothing about Condragulations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I've rewatched Phenomenon a bunch and can't remember what the other group's song is. It was just better.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Oh my god. :3:

https://twitter.com/kornbreadTMFS/status/1480657993607757824

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Maddy's entrance look next week is giving me Guy Fieri realness

https://twitter.com/RuPaulsDragRace/status/1480622975460286477

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

UK v the World starts Tuesday, Feb 1

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

UK v the World starts Tuesday, Feb 1

The fandom wiki has the long spoilered cast on it, but has there been an official cast announcement yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Not yet, as of now it's just confirmation of the first day. I expect the cast soon.