Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Nihonniboku posted:

The fandom wiki has the long spoilered cast on it, but has there been an official cast announcement yet?

One contestant has more-or-less confirmed that they're on, via the spoilered post:

https://twitter.com/BluHydrangea_/status/1379102242112946176?t=-TUk1gGuoPO1T6YwqyCVAA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Read After Burning posted:

Denali's verse lives in my head rent-free, as does Joey following it up with "I'M A GAY-rear end BITCH, I'M JOEY JAY".

I wish to our lord and saviour Gia Christ that Joey had never uttered those words, because Reddit just drives that joke into the ground, about Joey being the first gay competitor on Drag Race.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

They're all pretty memorable honestly.

"From the house of HAWWLLL"

I love how Kahmora absolutely refuses to rhyme "Hall" and "Doll" in her verse

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That week off without 3 different Drag Races airing at once was harrowing, never again

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh god Feb 1?? WTF

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Pangina is going to slaughter them in UK vs the World. Calling it now.

I was kind of meh on this season going into it. I believe Ru and Michelle are out of touch and need to pass the torch.

I was surprised at how strong this episode and this cast were. I'm in.

Also I was squinting at Ross Matthews after his weight loss, trying to remember who he reminds me of.

He looks like Brockmire.

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
He looks awful

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
The preview for the next episode is up and I am loving Angeria.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Tulalip Tulips posted:

:yeshaha: :getin:

Join me here on #TeamAngeria.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I can't repeat this enough, but this season's cast has so much chemistry it's delightful to just watch. Normally I don't seek out the promo material like group interviews, but I'll take any excuse to see them interact while waiting for the next episode.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

EW's segment where they read eachother's first drag is great! I definitely am vibing a lot more with the season 14 cast than the last two seasons for sure.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Some of the pre-season interviews seem to indicate the drama will all come from one particular contestant (Jasmine) so I wonder if that is adding to the overall feeling of "everyone mostly gets along".

Drimble Wedge posted:

I wish to our lord and saviour Gia Christ that Joey had never uttered those words, because Reddit just drives that joke into the ground, about Joey being the first gay competitor on Drag Race.

My favorite was something like "Maddy is the first cishet contestant on Drag Race. Last night he received a call from Joey Jay, congratulating his fellow boundary-breaker."

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I LOVE THEM ALL THIS CAST IS SOOOOOOOOO GOOD I DIDN'T THINK THEY HAD IT IN THEM ANYMORE

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Oakley opera sunglasses have to be one of the top 3 entrance look accessories

https://twitter.com/RuPaulsDragRace/status/1481325101370982412?s=20

Edit: just realized two queens entered with hamburgers

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 13, 2022

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Speaking of, what was the story of Michelle's implant removal? Didn't she get them out after reading a Facebook post?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

IT'S SANTINO'S HAT

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
This start to this season is really the best that we've had in years with Drag Race OG. It seems like we have a really talented group of queens, with no toxicity to be seen yet.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

OMG MADDY'S GOWN

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

This start to this season is really the best that we've had in years with Drag Race OG. It seems like we have a really talented group of queens, with no toxicity to be seen yet.

This is one of my favorite casts ever already, and I know I'll be crushed by each elimination. In fact, I can't think of a regular season where I liked literally every queen (I think 10 comes the closest). Everyone brings something different to the table in terms of both drag styles and personality. Their chemistry is also through the roof, it's like the polar opposite of S13.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
WTF was that VH1 promotion poo poo. They were advertising that we'd get a first look at the new All Stars after Untucked. It was just last season of All Stars. I'm guessing they're just going to air last season after each new episode since it was only on Paramount Plus. I thought we were going to get a look at the all winners edition coming this year.

Oh well. Not actually mad.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

When Maddy said her talent was to play guitar, I immediately said in my head "anyway here's Wonderwall"

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Split promo with no bullshit, check. Photo shoot mini, check. Talent show maxi, check. Great cast, check.

I have avoided spoilers for the gimmick they're introducing next episode, apart from seeing some golden ticket nonsense in promo material. I really, really hope it doesn't crush the vibe of this season which has otherwise been a refreshing return to form.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Cheering for Angeria because her confessional reminds me of Rom from Deep space 9.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Where can I go back and watch Angeria's talent show? What a loving bop. Two good songs right out the gate. Also, was it just me, or was Alicia Keys blazed af?

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 15, 2022

thenextalangrant
Apr 18, 2006

Hi, I'm John Sheppard. Isn't my hair awesome? I like ferris wheels.
I was not expecting to be so hyped for season 14! Been a while! Willow, I thought was going to be really "meh" at first but she pulled it out and really impressed me.
Also, finally watching Dragula season 4. So far, really thankful ya'll use the spoiler tags so those of us who hop subscriptions and have to come back later on. S4E1 I really liked the ideas behind everyone's floor shows! Also, didn't La Zavaleta say you gotta face your fears in this competition? Dang, Zavaleta's salty. Too much salt. For free.

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Deja didn't have her padding read while Michelle picked on Maddy's make up, while wearing THAT outfit? gently caress me man

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

subpar anachronism posted:

Also, was it just me, or was Alicia Keys blazed af?

hahaha after her second big YYEEEEAAAH my partner turned to me and said "she is very stoned"

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/hereisbosco/status/1481358570348167168

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Angeria is so amazing, Jorgeous also surprised me as well. Definitely looking forward to the two groups mixing next well.

Still having a moment whenever I see Bosco out of drag though because that's quite a transformation. His hair out of drag is also giving me some serious 90s vibes since I'm pretty sure multiple older cousins of mine had that hair.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Did Daya Betty claw herself during the lip sync? They seemed to have edited around that (possibly for a good reason). When she is doing the elimination speech at the mirror, it looks like it started bruising. Edit: okay maybe it was lipstick under the fingernails for the effect.

resting mitch face fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 16, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not sure on the winner - just another Davenport clone IMO. Would have easily handed it to Jasmine as their talent and runway knocked it out the park.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

resting mitch face posted:

Did Daya Betty claw herself during the lip sync? They seemed to have edited around that (possibly for a good reason). When she is doing the elimination speech at the mirror, it looks like it started bruising. Edit: okay maybe it was lipstick under the fingernails for the effect.

They showed it and it was lipstick. Kind of a cool effect but not enough.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I'm kinda sad that 2 queens have already been eliminated, I think I would have preferred the split premiere to have no elims going in, if only to let everyone meet and get a challenge under their belts before the actual competition starts. On the other hand I'm grateful that they seemingly aren't going to drag this out as long as humanly possible.

Also, you can definitely tell Daya is Crystal Methyd's drag daughter, if the makeup doesn't give it away the mannerisms DEFINITELY do.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

curiousTerminal posted:

I'm kinda sad that 2 queens have already been eliminated, I think I would have preferred the split premiere to have no elims going in, if only to let everyone meet and get a challenge under their belts before the actual competition starts. On the other hand I'm grateful that they seemingly aren't going to drag this out as long as humanly possible.

Well, that was one of the big complaints last season, that it took 4 episodes for the first elimination.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

There was something about 14 chocolate bars in the trailer so I'm not convinced Orion and Daya are gone for good yet

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

Well, that was one of the big complaints last season, that it took 4 episodes for the first elimination.

I'd rather two queens go than none for 4 episodes, certainly (although it's not as though there's an either/or choice here).

I was initially excited that the eliminated queens both might come back for another chance, but the more I think about Orion and Daya's runway looks and talent show performances, both of which I'd describe as "decent but conceptually incoherent", I'd sort of rather they just stay gone. :/

But we'll see. :)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the banner text kept almost reading as 'Onion Story' and that's what i'll remember her as forever

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I prefer queens to get at least 2 episodes of screen time and thus feel bad for Orion and Daya. Knowing just how much extra off-screen work goes into preparing for the competition, it really sucks to have your stay cut extremely short.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

iceyman posted:

I prefer queens to get at least 2 episodes of screen time and thus feel bad for Orion and Daya. Knowing just how much extra off-screen work goes into preparing for the competition, it really sucks to have your stay cut extremely short.

This is also part of it. 4 episodes before an elimination sucks, yeah, but if we do exactly what we just did, except there's a lipsync for the win instead of for the loss each episode, then start cutting queens in 3 I think it'd feel better.

Part of the reason last season's start felt like it took so long and sucked so bad was because it was 7 rapid fire introductions with no elims, followed by 2 more introduction episodes with no elims. Just. Not doing the Porkchop thing would go a long way to making the start not feel so bad. We haven't been introduced to all of the queens going into episode 2, so it'll still feel fresh as opposed to "get on with it"
The more I think about it the more I hate that drat porkchop poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

introduce all the queens in the first ep, no eliminations, then do a double first boot on episode 2.