Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

i'm a tools prog for a gamedev company and currently all our web based tooling is either raw hand-written html+js served from a static web service (being phased out which is why we're looking into moving to a proper stack), or is python and django serving basic hand-written templates and doing some serverside processing. it's all internal-only tools with ip whitelisting and auth and etc though

so i guess my question is what kinda stacks are good these days for flexible/extensible sites that can run serverside work? i haven't dabbled in much web dev myself, my tooling is usually just bulky C++ data processing or artist-facing ui. we also want to move to something where we can easily hire people lol, so nothing too obscure. any kind of recommendations for stack or even just good resources to learn about this kind of ecosystem would be great

i feel like the standard people generally use is node + npm + webpack(?) + typescript and whatever front-end library slapped on top but I'm kind of scared of the whole npm ecosystem and generally unfamiliar with it all in terms of deployment (docker??) bc I've only dabbled a little bit in personal time with premade boilerplate like create-react-app

I think either python or typescript as a backend is fine, but I've struggled with our django in the past because it's very firm about what it wants to be. if there's any kind of python equivalent to node that you can slap stuff like react or bootstrap or w/e on top of, that'd be cool. or we could just use node if you think that's the best move (if so, does anyone have a good tutorial on the general ecosystem of management/deployment/testing?)

thanks for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
asp.net

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you have javascript in your code base you've probably done something wrong.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

node sucks but its probably what you want to use.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
throw the server in the garbage and walk into nature

Jewel
May 2, 2009

graph posted:

throw the server in the garbage and walk into nature

that's scheduled for 2023

every time i look into asp.net my eyes glaze over because of how enterprise-y and old it feels

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

but do you even need a real webserver like that? I feel like if you did you wouldn't be asking this question - Retool or something might be 99% sufficient

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
asp.net is for adults. if you want to spend your time getting the thing done, use asp.net. if you want to spend your time setting everything up before you can try to get the thing done, use something else.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
whatever you use wrapping it up in docker/podman is good idea

copy folder, run docker compose u -d and thats deployment

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

ColdFusion

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jewel posted:

we also want to move to something where we can easily hire people

node + react is it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

node sucks but its probably what you want to use.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

seems there's a pretty even split between the two, whats the upside to asp vs node, is asp.net not as clunky and old as it looks because it looks really clunky and old. any good guides people recommend for either of the two for general guidelines/best practices/deployment?

also retool seems interesting, will keep it in mind and look into it a bit more but not sure it can fulfil everything we need

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if by clunky you mean, works, then yes. asp.net is clunky. if you want something that doesnt work and sucks the life out of you with its "innovation" then go with node.

asp.net mvc or blazor are far and away the best web dev experience

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just dont use entity framework. entity framework is absolute trash

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jewel posted:

seems there's a pretty even split between the two, whats the upside to asp vs node, is asp.net not as clunky and old as it looks because it looks really clunky and old. any good guides people recommend for either of the two for general guidelines/best practices/deployment?

also retool seems interesting, will keep it in mind and look into it a bit more but not sure it can fulfil everything we need

asp.net means that if you're in the flyover states there's an endless supply of middle aged Solutions Architects you can hire to crank out your code that ties to Outlook and MSSQL

node means if youre in a tech hub there's an endless supply of young hipster Code Poets you can hire to crank out your code that ties to redis and postgres

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

personally i'd use haskell or maybe prolog, op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://www.swi-prolog.org/howto/http/

there you go. its been around since 1987 so you know its battle tested and ready to go

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
anything beyond static html in an s3 bucket and youre loving up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bored Online posted:

i mean if you can get away with it this is great

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Can you give some examples about what this server side processing actually needs to do? What about your current setup are you trying to fix?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bored Online posted:

wisdom

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
seriouspost are new webapps not being made in python already

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the cool new thing is polaris, a web framework written in powershell https://powershell.github.io/Polaris/

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
seems like an enterprise situation and we all know java enterprise beans is the ultimate enterprise solution. I'm a consultant and I expect you to pay me for this advise.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gId6nrMDmUU&t=13s

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bored Online posted:

seriouspost are new webapps not being made in python already

they are and they're trash

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

they are and they're trash

well yeah, they're webapps! :xd:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
obviously, but if you're using asp.net you're using c# instead of python and even better if you're using blazor you're even avoiding javascript

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

any backend + react, deploy app servers in containers and storage/db some other way. namaste

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
if you're using node+react then next.js is pretty good

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Shaggar posted:

just dont use entity framework. entity framework is absolute trash

this is some weapons grade shaggaring, goddamn.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Gentle Autist posted:

any backend + react, deploy app servers in containers and storage/db some other way. namaste

better yet, find someone to throw money at to host your db for you.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I’ve heard that the all-emacs stack is all that anyone ever needs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kernel Sanders posted:

this is some weapons grade shaggaring, goddamn.

entity framework is a terrible concept implemented poorly. the code written around it is bad and a pain in the rear end to use or maintain and the performance is the worst of any data access framework there is.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just use dapper

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bored Online posted:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Just send a summary email every morning. No server needed.

If that’s not fast enough you can increase the email frequency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

for doing internal stuff, look for batteries included poo poo. rails is awesome for intranet and it's gotten a lot more enterprise-friendly over time. if you want to have a bigger talent pool, blitz.js is a pretty new, pretty cool full stack version of next.js that includes sensible defaults for database ORM (prisma), easy and secure default authentication stack, and has a pretty cool party trick - it automatically generates a completely transparent JSON api. the client essentially imports a function that runs on the server. i've just finished a project with it and it was pretty great.