Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

i'm a tools prog for a gamedev company and currently all our web based tooling is either raw hand-written html+js served from a static web service (being phased out which is why we're looking into moving to a proper stack), or is python and django serving basic hand-written templates and doing some serverside processing. it's all internal-only tools with ip whitelisting and auth and etc though

so i guess my question is what kinda stacks are good these days for flexible/extensible sites that can run serverside work? i haven't dabbled in much web dev myself, my tooling is usually just bulky C++ data processing or artist-facing ui. we also want to move to something where we can easily hire people lol, so nothing too obscure. any kind of recommendations for stack or even just good resources to learn about this kind of ecosystem would be great

i feel like the standard people generally use is node + npm + webpack(?) + typescript and whatever front-end library slapped on top but I'm kind of scared of the whole npm ecosystem and generally unfamiliar with it all in terms of deployment (docker??) bc I've only dabbled a little bit in personal time with premade boilerplate like create-react-app

I think either python or typescript as a backend is fine, but I've struggled with our django in the past because it's very firm about what it wants to be. if there's any kind of python equivalent to node that you can slap stuff like react or bootstrap or w/e on top of, that'd be cool. or we could just use node if you think that's the best move (if so, does anyone have a good tutorial on the general ecosystem of management/deployment/testing?)

thanks for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

graph posted:

throw the server in the garbage and walk into nature

that's scheduled for 2023

every time i look into asp.net my eyes glaze over because of how enterprise-y and old it feels

Jewel
May 2, 2009

seems there's a pretty even split between the two, whats the upside to asp vs node, is asp.net not as clunky and old as it looks because it looks really clunky and old. any good guides people recommend for either of the two for general guidelines/best practices/deployment?

also retool seems interesting, will keep it in mind and look into it a bit more but not sure it can fulfil everything we need

Jewel
May 2, 2009

ty for all the suggestions everybody!! a lot of people saying "static html" but, like, you still have to.. write code using a framework so you don't go insane writing raw html by hand. you can just compile it down to static html later and route it however you want. some unfortunately large and complex requirements emerging so I'm pretty resigned to node or asp at this point

also i'd love to use something like blitz/next but every step of the way i have lawyers breathing down my neck making me run every single desired package past them and I think it's going to be a huge pain in the rear end

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Zlodo posted:

Insomniac games did the same thing and have shared some great insight about it
https://deplinenoise.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/webtoolspostmortem.pdf

tl;dr its trash and they rewrote everything in c++/qt

we're also C++ devs doing web tooling but the difference is it's not big complex game creation tools that artists will be using, it's backend tooling like managing the store or scheduling events, etc. we still have c++ native tooling for the stuff that should be software. i can def see what went very wrong on their end, sounds like hell lol

Jewel fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the op manages to be long and still amount to a really ill-posed question.

yeah I didn't want to reveal too much because I feel bad talking about internal things online, didn't have a great grasp on the full range of requirements, AND I'm generally just bad at english :)

I did get some good insight into people's opinions though, so I'm happy w the responses