Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
I’m pretty sure I’m going to be laid off sometime soon regardless, the signs are all there. I just find what happened this week suspicious. We go back to work for one day, then right at the tail end of the day, the project manager calls me. I thought I was getting shitcanned right then and there, because he says in that horrible uncomfortable downcast tone of voice you make before you have to fire someone, “maybe you’ve already heard from (supervisor)….” and there’s this excruciatingly long pregnant pause.

And he tells me that he got exposed to covid so we all have to take tomorrow off and he’s not sure what happens after that.

I still haven’t heard anything, and I’m wondering if this is a way to put me on vacation before they call me on monday and tell me I’m done.

Normally I wouldn’t think much of it but I’m 99% sure they’ve been planning on getting rid of me for months and the guys tone of voice is exactly what I would expect from someone sending someone home for the last time but you can’t actually say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I mean, maybe? Who knows. Get your resume updated regardless

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm still trying to figure out the answer to that after I got "laid off" about 4 years ago.

So you probably did.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Maybe he just sounded bummed because he might die

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Try bringing a guitar and serenading them from the ground floor.

It's hit and miss in romantic movies, worth a shot.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
SPREAD EM OP

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Why you think they going to fire you?

Honest answer plz

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

PUT EM ON THE GLASS

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Honest answer plz

OP had an ongoing affair with the head of HR and the head of Finance at the same time and they both found out about it and now are putting the screws to them

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Edit- no I guess I misread that LOL

Why does he have to be there for you to work exactly? That's what seems shady here.

Other employment stuff will vary by state and whether you have any kinds of contracts or unions or whatever

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Sounds like he was somber because he might be dying. Have you been in person with him recently? He was maybe worried you’d be pissed at him because now you too are dying?

How many horse worm pills do you have on you?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

OP had an ongoing affair with the head of HR and the head of Finance at the same time and they both found out about it and now are putting the screws to them

Impossible. Heads of finance are only interested in pinning insects to cork board and head of HR is dreaming up unspeakable cruelty on their peloton as we speak

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Chinatown posted:

SPREAD EM OP

if op won't i will

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Honest answer plz

They’ve just seemed unhappy for a while

Little hints dropped here and there

Probably performance mostly

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

ellasmith posted:

You’re either hiding something or you have anxiety and make up unreasonable scenarios about you failing that are warped from reality and you’re probably fine or even good at your job

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

My advice would be to get some therapy for your anxiety disorder to work through your imposter syndrome and if I’m wrong and you get fired you will have benefited from some therapy anyway

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

youre fired

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
call his house at 3am asking for more details

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Whoa youre just like the guy from impractical jokers

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
He said "we all have to take tomorrow off" so why do you think this is some plan to get you out of the office to fire you? Simply find out did the other people also have to take the day off?

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Full Metal Jackass posted:

He said "we all have to take tomorrow off" so why do you think this is some plan to get you out of the office to fire you? Simply find out did the other people also have to take the day off?

As far as I know, but it’s possible certain people were laid off and others weren’t who will still be going in, and will be instructed not to tell me.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Noblesse Obliged posted:

My advice would be to get some therapy for your anxiety disorder to work through your imposter syndrome and if I’m wrong and you get fired you will have benefited from some therapy anyway

honestly i think it's perfectly natural to be a poster and it's nothing to be ashamed of or have to "work through"

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

i think if you work for any company you are supposed to be applying for jobs at other companies constantly anyway so i think you need maybe 3 to 5 companies

Traveling Salesman
Nov 27, 2007

Merchant of Death
Are you still getting paid OP?

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Traveling Salesman posted:

Are you still getting paid OP?

No

Hourly

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
They can't fire you! You quit!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
maybe he's just getting super psyched up for a sick guitar solo hge's going to show you?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I am your boss op, and you are fired. Sorry about that.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

can i have op's job?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ellasmith posted:

Probably performance? Have you actually been written up? The USDL does not gently caress around, if they are firing you for performance reasons, they are either idiots or have an extensive paper trail.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

i've worked at places where i've always felt like i'm on the edge of getting let go and frankly it's an abuse tactic to make you feel like you won't be able to get something better and make you easier to lowball and exploit. I don't think you're getting fired but you should legit be trying to separate from them as soon as possible anyway OP for somewhere that doesn't use passive-aggression and fear as a management tool.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

had a similar thing happen one year at work. the program manager gathered everyone around at the end of the day, looked visibly upset and kinda vaguely hinted that he had bad news while we assembled around him in the office. when everyone was there, someone asked something like "what happened, did our project get canceled and we're all fired?", and the manager was silent for a moment, then replied that he wished that was all it was, but actually someone on the team had died.

it was a pretty awkward way to break the news because you could see some people alternating back and forth between relief and shock.

anyway op, my point is there are all sorts of reasons for melancholy management that don't directly threaten your employment.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Bad Purchase posted:

had a similar thing happen one year at work. the program manager gathered everyone around at the end of the day, looked visibly upset and kinda vaguely hinted that he had bad news while we assembled around him in the office. when everyone was there, someone asked something like "what happened, did our project get canceled and we're all fired?", and the manager was silent for a moment, then replied that he wished that was all it was, but actually someone on the team had died.

it was a pretty awkward way to break the news because you could see some people alternating back and forth between relief and shock.

anyway op, my point is there are all sorts of reasons for melancholy management that don't directly threaten your employment.

sometimes management is sad all the time because they constantly feel like they're about to get fired just like you. Try taking a walk in their shoes sometime.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

sometimes management is sad all the time because they constantly feel like they're about to get fired just like you. Try taking a walk in their shoes sometime.

no thanks!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Literally A Person posted:

maybe he's just getting super psyched up for a sick guitar solo hge's going to show you?

Listen bub, I'm making the guitar gags itt

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Listen bub, I'm making the guitar gags itt

In the interest of peace I will instead ask OP if thier boss might be acting touchy because they are going to show them a sick new banjola solo.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

maybe they are waiting for op to share a musical solo first, to break the ice

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bad Purchase posted:

maybe they are waiting for op to share a musical solo first, to break the ice

It was so apparent!! OP, do youplay the sax????

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

If he did get exposed to covid at some point and STILL called you into his office to let you know, that's some bullshit right there.

And I don't think you'd get sent home just to get fired the next day, unless you royally screwed the pooch on something at work.

So, OP, what did you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Last month my boss sent me an email on Monday saying just “do you have time for a short meeting on Friday?”

I have enormous amounts of anxiety and that was the worst loving week. Thought I was getting fired or something.

Turns out he just wanted to check in and see how things were going and wanted to catch up since we never see each other anymore. But come on man. Don’t send a message like that.