Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Unfortunately, barely a week passed in the new year before we had to get another thread started

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1479287348802519042

quote:

Shozo Kobayashi, better known to wrestling fans as “Strong” Kobayashi in IWE, WWWF and NJPW rings, passed away on December 31 2021, it was announced yesterday. He was 81.

A dedicated wrestling fan who got involved in weight lifting at a young age before working for Japan National Railways, Kobayashi was scouted in 1966 by the pioneering International Wrestling Enterprise organization at a body building event. He made his professional debut in 1967 as ‘Masked Taro’, notable for being the first masked Japanese wrestler in history.

Yet it was in 1968 Kobayashi would unmask, and take up the ring name of Strong Kobayashi. Quickly becoming the ace of IWE, Kobayashi would feud with the top worldwide stars of the day, including a young Andre the Giant. He also plied his trade in rings across Europe and the US, including what was then the WWWF (now WWE).

February 1974 saw Kobayashi leave IWE, and in March, he shocked the nation by appearing in New Japan Pro-Wrestling to challenge Antonio Inoki to a match at Kuramae Sumo Hall. This dream encounter between two of Japan’s biggest stars for the NWF title sold out the venue and led to huge television ratings.

Kobayashi joined NJPW full time in 1975, and was a main event star, notably teaming with Seiji Sakaguchi to lift the NWA North American Tag Team Championships. Kobayashi continued to wrestle NJPW’s elite, until suffering from back injury in 1981. Unable to return to the ring, he formally retired on August 26 1984.

Kobayashi still delighted millions in the decades to come. His charisma and uncanny comic timing made him a television favourite under the name Strong Kongo. Among other hugely successful programs, he appeared as the villain in international cult classic Takeshi’s Castle from 1986.

The thoughts and deepest sympathies of New Japan Pro-Wrestling go to Kobayashi’s family, friends and fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
"Among other hugely successful programs, he appeared as the villain in international cult classic Takeshi’s Castle from 1986."

Hell yes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/WrestleTalk_TV/status/1480201446272372738?s=20

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Former Chikara Commissioner and Dragon Gate USA alumni Bob Saget has died

https://twitter.com/HeelByNatureYT/status/1480342354087354371?t=LGQJdFPN7Ccs-StexqXXUA&s=19

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Super Muneco has passed away.

https://twitter.com/MPenaAAA/status/1491476858545790978

His health seemed terrible when he'd wrestle pre-pandemic and I think he was older than his listed age of 59. Very sad.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
legendary lucha libre announcer for AAA has passed away as well

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1491633114061418497

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/WrestlHeadlines/status/1491500830758952961?s=20&t=tMM9pVL5p1wy_U9T90wYTw

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Longtime journeyman Ricky Hunter passed away a few days ago at the age of 85.

https://twitter.com/HistoryWinnipeg/status/1492157578574368768?s=20&t=y5ghCacWJDtgIQ1PH5voLQ

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ByMikeMooneyham/status/1493385955339911168

drat :(

E: confirmed on Charles Robinson's IG as well

https://twitter.com/WWERobinson/status/1493382035997609988

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Aw man :(

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

quote:

Kevin Nash revealed Sunday night that his long-time tag partner and best friend, Scott Hall, is being taken off life support.
Hall was placed on life support Saturday after he suffered three heart attacks. The pro wrestling legend underwent hip surgery last week, but then suffered a serious setback when a blood clot got loose.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2022/03/scott-hall-to-be-taken-off-life-support-kevin-nash-reveals/

Suleman fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 14, 2022

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
gently caress that sucks so loving bad.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Say goodbye to the bad guy :smith:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
loving blows.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Beyond gutted. Complications from a surgery to help with his quality of life in old age…loving hell.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Devastated by this. Scott Hall was awesome and I'm glad he managed to turn his life around before the end.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
loving hell

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RIP Scott Hall. A man with many demons, and just as it seemed he had conquered them, he is undone by complications from hip surgery.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

One more for the good guys :unsmith:

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Scott Hall wasn’t perfect and you’ll find plenty of uncomfortable accounts about his conduct, but he did his best to make amends as much as he could even if he didn’t always pin his demons. I respect him for that.

Cleaning my living room this morning and had Razor v Bret from RR93 on in the background. Such a great big guy. Crazy he never got a run with the world title in that fallow mid 90s period.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kevin's post is heartbreaking.

Rest in peace, Scott.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

harperdc posted:

Beyond gutted. Complications from a surgery to help with his quality of life in old age…loving hell.

to be honest, it's the on-brand most life-fucks-scott-hall way to die. Pretty normal surgery for folks his age to have? loving dies from it for no reason other than horrific luck. Absolute bullshit.

I never thought I'd want to hug Kevin Nash but god drat.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

gently caress me. That sucks. From a hip surgery that's the craziest thing to me

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this sucks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shard posted:

gently caress me. That sucks. From a hip surgery that's the craziest thing to me

Yeah blood clots are sadly one of those things that run the risk of happening with just about any sort of surgery and recovery from it. Bodies are weird.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Kevin's post is heartbreaking.

Rest in peace, Scott.

I've watched like every Kevin Nash shoot and the way he talks about Scott is always so endearing. Outsiders got me into wrestling as a kid. This poo poo sucks.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Yeah blood clots are sadly one of those things that run the risk of happening with just about any sort of surgery and recovery from it. Bodies are weird.

Didn't his alcohol abuse do some (like, actually known) damage to his heart? I could see that maybe being an issue vis a vis blood flow and whatnot. Either way absolutely heartbreaking.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Didn't his alcohol abuse do some (like, actually known) damage to his heart? I could see that maybe being an issue vis a vis blood flow and whatnot. Either way absolutely heartbreaking.

oh yeah there's no way his demons didn't have some negative effect as well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Destroy My Sweater posted:

I've watched like every Kevin Nash shoot and the way he talks about Scott is always so endearing. Outsiders got me into wrestling as a kid. This poo poo sucks.

Everyone needs a friend who has their back that thoroughly

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That's like my actual nightmare. I really wanna be aware when I'm dying. I don't want to die in my sleep or unconscious. So the idea of laying down for surgery, them putting you under and that's it for you as your last thoughts is my hell. Hall deserved better. Hell we all do

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Hey yo. :(

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

"Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but BAD GUYS do." RIP to a real one

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty devastated, loved The Outsiders so much as an adolescent, my best friend and I were the outsiders in our neighborhood (poor kids from broken homes) so they resonated so hard with us, and the attitude of like "well, gently caress it, we'll make whatever we're doing the cool thing" was crucial to me, i was the extraordinarily tall one and he had the tooth picks and slicked hair. he took his own life a couple years back, never was able to consistently get the right kind of help for his demons (manic depressive), just how it goes on this bitch of a world. but it was nice to see Scott get his poo poo together a bit and be able to heal some. i hope AEW gives him a proper shout Wednesday.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Dammit, this blows. Scott Hall was such a big part of my childhood. One of my favorites for sure. And he seemed like a good guy too. I know he had his demons, but nobody ever said a bad word about him that I can recall. Seemed universally beloved. I know he has kids too. gently caress :(

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

For a very long time there’s been a running joke with my two best friends that we’re just like the nwo. One’s tall and wise, the other’s bald and thinks he’s the centre of the universe, and I got the demons.

Seeing Scott turn his life around was always one of the most inspiring things I could imagine, something I’ve tried to use in my own journey through life. There’s maybe 2 other wrestlers in the world I’ve ever felt any sort of connection to in the 20+ years I’ve watched this poo poo. This really sucks. RIP Razor.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Razor Ramon in his prime was loving unstoppable. A greek god of a wrestler, incredible persona and aura. Rest in peace to the realest one.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I think one of the worst things WWF ever did was try to villinize Nash and Hall for basically being about the money and not about the "love". gently caress that. Employers don't love you and will use you for free labor every time if you let them.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Rest in peace bad guy :smith:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

gently caress this. this sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

razor and bret, those were my gods when i was a kid. gonna miss the bad guy :smith: