Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

gently caress I never go on Twitter and rarely browse this forum... Thank God I sub to the F4WOnline YT channel or I'd have missed this news entirely.

Dude was the perfect all-around wrestler - in his look, in the ring, on the mic...He's a legend but he deserved even more. He was the Bad Guy but he was a lot humbler than most of his buddies.

RIP. We're all eternally grateful to you, Scott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He's probably the first guy that just about everyone thinks of when someone asks whom the best wrestler to never hold a world title is, for a reason.

I hope he finds the peace that eluded him for most of his life.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Genuinely gutted at this news. Does anyone have the gif from 90s raw of him loving killing a 12 year old Matt hardy with a razors edge, one of my faves

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm trying to find the silver lining in this. It's awful to go before your time, and it's heart breaking that some of the decisions he made when he was younger had direct effects on his long term health, but god dammit he turned his life around. It may not have undone any of that prior damage, it may not have made him feel physically better, but so many stories in this world--let alone this business in particular--don't get that turn around moment. I am truly grateful he got to go out in control of life again.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I guess the only silver lining is that he outlived what many would have reasonably assumed was his life expectancy 15, 20 years ago, when he was in a really bad place. At least he got to go out with his life intact and in a much better place, with the bridges he might have burned with his friends and family restored.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/JodyHimself999/status/1503578380125413379?s=20&t=X3ZsaC5EbVPU_KsAgCmvOA

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man that rules

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Gonna buy some toothpicks and flick them at people. RIP to one of my faves.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Ganso Bomb posted:

I got great joy out of pretending to be Razor Ramon when I was wrestling my wrestling buddies as a kid and telling the imaginary timekeeper "You take care of my gold or I'm gonna take care of you" when I'd hand off my chincy little Razor Ramon necklace with the giant fake gold razor blade.

:same: Me & my friends always did the bad Cuban accent too & would Razor's Edge each other on the trampoline as kids. He was one of the few that had everything back then - swagger, cool music, look, everything just fit perfectly.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Nice story, and I think this kind of taps into why DDP was so successful with Jake and Hall when so many others had failed. I think receiving public adulation is kind of like a drug in itself that the vast majority of wrestlers love to soak up. When you suddenly don't have that, it feels bad, and because most people don't perform in front of large crowds on a regular basis, it's easy to dismiss their help as them not being able to understand how you feel. DDP did know how it felt to be cheered by a huge audience, so there was a special level of mutual respect there. Or maybe I'm just talking bollocks idk.

Pretty gutted as Razor was one of my all-time favourites. Great all-round talent who managed to overcome his demons at a time when he was pretty much written off by everyone. I was in a really bad place in early 2011, and in an attempt to find something to do, I got back into wrestling again. I was looking up what my favourites were up to, and that's when I saw that infamous footage of Hall at that indie, not knowing where he was and barely able to walk. It was extremely unsettling, but he bounced back and reminded everyone how great he was. He will be missed but not forgotten!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Nice story, and I think this kind of taps into why DDP was so successful with Jake and Hall when so many others had failed. I think receiving public adulation is kind of like a drug in itself that the vast majority of wrestlers love to soak up. When you suddenly don't have that, it feels bad, and because most people don't perform in front of large crowds on a regular basis, it's easy to dismiss their help as them not being able to understand how you feel. DDP did know how it felt to be cheered by a huge audience, so there was a special level of mutual respect there. Or maybe I'm just talking bollocks idk.

I'd say that's very astute and exactly why DDP was able to help them. He also a had real personal investment in helping them and building a support network around them that your average rehab clinic wouldn't have.

Scott was a complicated guy, to say the least, but he was a skilled and versatile pro wrestler with undeniable swag. And as mentioned previously, he really did try to make amends when he was well enough to do so. He'll be missed.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's easy, or was easy, to fall into the trap of thinking that wrestlers are just these meathead jocks or athletes for the most part, but a lot of them were serious about their characters, their performance and their craft, so for sure DDP seems to be more successful at engaging them on that level in addition to the sports type medicine and wellness that's required to heal their injuries, and he's probable able to empathize with them on a level rarely anyone can. hopefully he's building a whole new approach and little industry to help these guys after their careers are over and his work will continue on after him, it seems really important

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Razor was one of the first wrestlers I really latched onto as a fan because of his skill and charisma (like many here i started doing the toothpick flick thing even). My best friend growing up was big into him too and we loved playing as Razor/Hall in the various games he was in. Even when I wasn't watching wrestling as much I still followed what he was doing, and it was great to see him turn his life around with DDP's help. It's still feeling unreal that after everything he went through he's now just gone.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Scott Hall made Disco Inferno see God once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x195vbVtSDM

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
I think one of the most heartening things to come out of Hall's passing are the stories from younger wrestlers and smaller feds that talked about how generous he was in his later years with his time and money: buying the younger workers meals, paying for gas, stuff like that. And how he'd always tell them to pay it forward when they got the chance to mentor newer guys later in their careers, because "the vets should always look out for the new guys". He could've just shown up, done his spot, gotten paid and left, but he took the time to lead by example and show the newer guys how they should conduct themselves. That's very comforting. :unsmith:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

that was one of the most consistent things about scott, he always had a great eye for young talent and went out of his way to give them something. i remember one of his shoots where he was talking about putting over 123 kid and basically said he was bulletproof. taking a loss wouldn't harm him in anyway, but it would put kid over huge to get such a big win.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I feel like the narrative shifted on Scott. I don't know if that was from folks with sour grapes or WWE revisionism but I swear the stories I heard about him was basically creating a toxic locker room. But now it seems like he was a great presence in the locker room that looked out for the talent. Hmmm I think I know why WWE didn't like him.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Shard posted:

I feel like the narrative shifted on Scott. I don't know if that was from folks with sour grapes or WWE revisionism but I swear the stories I heard about him was basically creating a toxic locker room. But now it seems like he was a great presence in the locker room that looked out for the talent. Hmmm I think I know why WWE didn't like him.

By his own admission Scott was an rear end in a top hat who stirred up trouble just for fun, but he was also an addict in two very toxic work environments (also filled with addicts) that just egged on his worst habits. Sober Scott Hall was a different guy that people didn't really see until he moved in with DDP and got his poo poo together. I think if you were management or in competition with him for a spot, he was a nightmare, but if you were a new/younger wrestler he tried to be helpful.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shard posted:

Well there's stuff like this:
https://twitter.com/AlexM_talkSPORT/status/1503442931780395009?s=20&t=WDXk96v-FqDwW0MR9VyEgg

But it's been revealed over the years that Bubba is a loving idiot, so this is funny now.

I'm sure a lot of people have terrible things to say about him, or would, but people seem more forgiving of people with addiction and substance abuse issues these days than even 10 years ago.

Always assume WWE is just doing stuff for the worst reasons, though. They have no conscience as a company.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Ganso Bomb posted:

Well there's stuff like this:
https://twitter.com/AlexM_talkSPORT/status/1503442931780395009?s=20&t=WDXk96v-FqDwW0MR9VyEgg

But it's been revealed over the years that Bubba is a loving idiot, so this is funny now.

I'm sure a lot of people have terrible things to say about him, or would, but people seem more forgiving of people with addiction and substance abuse issues these days than even 10 years ago.

Always assume WWE is just doing stuff for the worst reasons, though. They have no conscience as a company.

In interviews he said he'd introduce himself to folks like "Hi, I'm Scott. Make sure you tuck your chin on my finisher." The vibe he seemed to gave off to me was him just ribbing, but in that environment who knows.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I believe the "Love your finish, can't wait to kick out" was one of his default ribs on people. Jericho said in his first book he threatened to end Jericho's "little Terry Taylor push" at one point so I'm sure he could be a fuckin dick if he thought his spot was in jeopardy but that was the entire WCW locker room at one point.

Jericho also said he and Nash would constantly whine about things being "Jojo" aka bush league in their terms. But he also said they were cool as gently caress the first time he met them and treated him well.

in conclusion wrestling is a land of contrasts

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Critical posted:

I believe the "Love your finish, can't wait to kick out" was one of his default ribs on people. Jericho said in his first book he threatened to end Jericho's "little Terry Taylor push" at one point so I'm sure he could be a fuckin dick if he thought his spot was in jeopardy but that was the entire WCW locker room at one point.

Jericho also said he and Nash would constantly whine about things being "Jojo" aka bush league in their terms. But he also said they were cool as gently caress the first time he met them and treated him well.

in conclusion wrestling is a land of contrasts

You missed the part where Jericho confronted him at Scott Norton's suggestion otherwise Norton would do it himself because Norton liked Chris and didn't want to let that ride because he thought it'd hurt Chris' reputation.

Every time I hear about Norton he comes off as a really cool guy. He also knocked out Tony Halme in a bar and Halme was a far right dickhead.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
On the subject of Jericho he posted this on facebook ,

Chris Jericho posted:

#ScottHall and I didn’t always see eye to eye when we worked together, but I’m happy to say we cleared the air and became friends over the last few years. He even joined us on the Chris Jericho Cruise in 2020 and we had a great conversation for #TalkIsJericho! It’s a drag we didn’t have more time together, because Scott Hall was a pretty cool cat with a WICKED sense of humour. The dude was seriously razor sharp hilarious. I have many memories of him going back to watching him with my Dad in #AWA in the mid 80’s….What an amazing worker he was in the ring and out! He was One of the biggest stars I’ve encountered during my career….and he was by far the BEST pro wrestler I’ve ever seen to NEVER hold a world title! Love and respect forever. God bless you #BadGuy….I’ll never forget you.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

He's probably the first guy that just about everyone thinks of when someone asks whom the best wrestler to never hold a world title is, for a reason.

I hope he finds the peace that eluded him for most of his life.

I may be misremembering, but Scott Hall has said that he actively turned down the world title because he didn't want to do the extra promotional stuff, some of which required you to wake up at 4:30 in the morning, and I respect that a lot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1503899267127296000

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Scott hall had the best punches in the biz

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RealKevinNash/status/1503954491032363008

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God drat :(

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/ashlikespuro/status/1503953647775875075?s=21

Hiroshi Tanahashi is the sweetest

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nash is a wise man.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh my god who's cutting all these onions in here

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/ThatJakePC/status/1504086303134167045

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

One of the best things about the modern era of wrestling, IMO, is that for every dipshit like Bubba who thinks wrestling's too soft and the Old Days were better, there are five or six people like Bret and Nash who will come out and say, "the Old Days broke our bodies and made us hate each other for no good reason, it's best that they're gone and they shouldn't come back."

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is really, really nice.

I’m probably looking into it too much and I admittedly don’t follow wrestling a ton anymore, but I can’t help but feel like Scott Hall’s death has unveiled some sort of full realization about the old eras. It’s a mix of realizing how genuinely incredible they were, something we’ll never get back to. But also all the ways it failed and wrecked everyone involved. How it absolutely could not last as the norm. It’s just something I’m noticing with everyone from older wrestlers to modern fans and so on. The only thing you can do after a truly tragic death is face things and set your own path through realization towards honest positivity.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CMLL confirmed on their social media that Black Warrior Jr has died at the age of 24. Mostly a lucha indy guy but he worked for CMLL on their Guadalajara shows. No cause of death known but according to Rob Viper on Twitter he was married to a daughter of Negro Casas & they'd just had their 2nd child.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Do you think the boys from the old school would be comic book/videogame dorks like modern wrestlers? Conversely, would the guys like Omega have been just as bad with muscle relaxers, beer, and opiates given the lack of anything better to do on the road?

I’m sure some straight edge/no booze guys could have continued being so, like Hunter supposedly was, but I truly wonder how much drug abuse was out of boredom in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. Lotta time on the road with nothing to do but pills.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is really, really nice.

I’m probably looking into it too much and I admittedly don’t follow wrestling a ton anymore, but I can’t help but feel like Scott Hall’s death has unveiled some sort of full realization about the old eras. It’s a mix of realizing how genuinely incredible they were, something we’ll never get back to. But also all the ways it failed and wrecked everyone involved. How it absolutely could not last as the norm. It’s just something I’m noticing with everyone from older wrestlers to modern fans and so on. The only thing you can do after a truly tragic death is face things and set your own path through realization towards honest positivity.

An important thing about that era was the 300+ working days per year mentality combining with national touring as the WWF took out territories - a very bad combination.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

CMLL confirmed on their social media that Black Warrior Jr has died at the age of 24. Mostly a lucha indy guy but he worked for CMLL on their Guadalajara shows. No cause of death known but according to Rob Viper on Twitter he was married to a daughter of Negro Casas & they'd just had their 2nd child.

drat that's way too young. RIP

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If you watched NWA/JCP in the mid-eighties, you always saw Rocky King put up a valiant effort

https://twitter.com/PWInsidercom/status/1508493570419920898?s=20&t=lxwfzi8AV_gjE92F5qMp-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

tao of lmao posted:

Do you think the boys from the old school would be comic book/videogame dorks like modern wrestlers? Conversely, would the guys like Omega have been just as bad with muscle relaxers, beer, and opiates given the lack of anything better to do on the road?

Absolutely. Scott Levy doesn’t count as old school per se but he was a comics geek his whole career, and I think the first pro wrestler to write comics.