Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I recall hearing someboy, might have been Cornette, mention that back in the day promoters would be begging wrestlers not to spend all their time backstage playing cards. The wrestlers find fun things to do to pass the time before their matches, and I think the guys spending their time backstage now playing videogames is basically the same thing as those dudes playing cards: it was a fun thing to do with the other wrestlers and they liked hanging out together.

I mean it's apples and oranges to some degree, they're not working the same (insane) schedule as those older guys did, and the heavy drinking and drug use appears to be thankfully mostly a thing of the past now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Referee Sol Yang passed away recently, on March 15th. He worked out of oklahoma. Rest in peace.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
current CMLL wrestler and trios champion Raziel died in a car accident

http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/2022/04/05/raziel-1973-2022/

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

tao of lmao posted:

Do you think the boys from the old school would be comic book/videogame dorks like modern wrestlers? Conversely, would the guys like Omega have been just as bad with muscle relaxers, beer, and opiates given the lack of anything better to do on the road?

I’m sure some straight edge/no booze guys could have continued being so, like Hunter supposedly was, but I truly wonder how much drug abuse was out of boredom in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. Lotta time on the road with nothing to do but pills.

Several years back, Hugh Jackman appeared on RAW to promote one of the X-Men movies. Sandow showed up in a Magneto costume to harass him, which led to JBL on commentary yelling something like 'this rear end in a top hat needs to go back to Asteroid M!'

To this day I'm still not sure if JBL is an X-Men dork or if he was fed that line, but either way it's stuck with me and it's something I can't stop thinking about sometimes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/CACReunion/status/1517387124684857344?s=20&t=-zI7DBhp8jWBq4uTuXCwwA

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/cmll_oficial/status/1518820208261181440?s=21&t=KsrPmL9RWuub6Fw78CF13A

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: the drinking/partying/drugs that old school wrestlers of the 70s/80s did.

Some of it, (if not a lot of it), was encouraged by promotors/companies. As wrestlers were supposed to be the big handsome/hunky tough guys that would go into the local bar. Out drink all the locals, gently caress the local women, pick a fight and beat up some local loudmouth, and walk away looking like a real life "tough guy". In order to sell tickets in that town/sell themselves and the industry as being legit and full of larger than life manly men.

You do this whilst throwing yourself at the ground 300+ days a year, and having to drive yourself to the next town 5 hours away befor having to drink/gently caress and fight yet again really takes a toll. Both mentally and physically. I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that the pills and drugs flow on from that.

It is good that wrestling has mostly moved away from that.

Not only because it is much healthier for the wrestlers, but in my own selfish opinion, I much prefer it when the wrestlers I like are wholesome dorks/family men/nice people in real life.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re: the drinking/partying/drugs that old school wrestlers of the 70s/80s did.

Some of it, (if not a lot of it), was encouraged by promotors/companies. As wrestlers were supposed to be the big handsome/hunky tough guys that would go into the local bar. Out drink all the locals, gently caress the local women, pick a fight and beat up some local loudmouth, and walk away looking like a real life "tough guy". In order to sell tickets in that town/sell themselves and the industry as being legit and full of larger than life manly men.

You do this whilst throwing yourself at the ground 300+ days a year, and having to drive yourself to the next town 5 hours away befor having to drink/gently caress and fight yet again really takes a toll. Both mentally and physically. I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that the pills and drugs flow on from that.

It is good that wrestling has mostly moved away from that.

Not only because it is much healthier for the wrestlers, but in my own selfish opinion, I much prefer it when the wrestlers I like are wholesome dorks/family men/nice people in real life.

I don't think promoters encouraged it because they'd potentially be liable for damages caused by the wrestlers they employed. And also because it'd be bad for business if your guy or guys are either locked up in jail or injured as a result of a barroom brawl, and can't make it to the show.

Cornette actually touched on this briefly once, when someone asked him if Bill Watts told guys to go pick fights to show how tough wrestlers were. He said what Watts had told his guys was, "don't go out picking fights, but if you're dumb enough to get into fights, then you had better whip everyone's rear end, or you're loving fired".

E: I think a lot of the cause of wrestlers doing drugs etc. was just the culture of the times. In the 1970s, most wrestlers drank a lot but they also weren't expected to be built like Greek gods, they were usually either large bulky dudes, "normal" sized guys, or slim and trim. There were a few exceptions of course, but by and large they weren't expected to look like they were chisled from marble. In the 1980s, when the WWF started becoming the #1 company, there was much more of an emphasis placed on physique, even though the traveling schedule remained the same, so between that and the "cocaine culture" of the 1980s combined with the prevalence and easy access to steroids and painkillers, it's no wonder a lot of wrestlers got hooked on something that would ultimately kill them.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 27, 2022

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sydney Bottocks posted:

E: I think a lot of the cause of wrestlers doing drugs etc. was just the culture of the times. In the 1970s, most wrestlers drank a lot but they also weren't expected to be built like Greek gods, they were usually either large bulky dudes, "normal" sized guys, or slim and trim. There were a few exceptions of course, but by and large they weren't expected to look like they were chisled from marble. In the 1980s, when the WWF started becoming the #1 company, there was much more of an emphasis placed on physique, even though the traveling schedule remained the same, so between that and the "cocaine culture" of the 1980s combined with the prevalence and easy access to steroids and painkillers, it's no wonder a lot of wrestlers got hooked on something that would ultimately kill them.

Not to mention that territories kept guys on the road all the time, so they never really had time to work out beyond the basics anyway. WWF guys were bigger than average, but even they weren't super bulked up until Vince Jr. took over because he's a creep who is obsessed with bodybuilding and went out of his way to push guys who catered to that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't think promoters encouraged it because they'd potentially be liable for damages caused by the wrestlers they employed. And also because it'd be bad for business if your guy or guys are either locked up in jail or injured as a result of a barroom brawl, and can't make it to the show.

Cornette actually touched on this briefly once, when someone asked him if Bill Watts told guys to go pick fights to show how tough wrestlers were. He said what Watts had told his guys was, "don't go out picking fights, but if you're dumb enough to get into fights, then you had better whip everyone's rear end, or you're loving fired".

Having listened to an old Between The Sheets Patreon episode about the death of Eddie Gilbert, they relate a story where (IIRC) Bret Hart over-heard Brian Knobbs have an argument with Vince because they were I guess testing for cannabis. And Knobbs argument was what difference did it make when it helped him deal with the strains of being on the road & Vince just responded well you better do more alcohol & pills then. So I think some promoters encouraged it.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
A lot of the drug use was self-medication, both for the physical toll from the ring and the psychological toll of whatever they may be deadling with.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

forkboy84 posted:

Having listened to an old Between The Sheets Patreon episode about the death of Eddie Gilbert, they relate a story where (IIRC) Bret Hart over-heard Brian Knobbs have an argument with Vince because they were I guess testing for cannabis. And Knobbs argument was what difference did it make when it helped him deal with the strains of being on the road & Vince just responded well you better do more alcohol & pills then. So I think some promoters encouraged it.

Oh, I have no doubt that Vince and many other promoters encouraged their guys to do booze or painkillers instead of weed, because weed was seen as a "hippie" drug while booze or coke or pills were seen as more "manly" or "legit". I was referring more to the idea that they'd encourage guys to go to bars and get into fights. There were probably some smaller promoters that did that as a way to show how tough their wrestlers were, but the bigger promotions quite rightly didn't want the headaches (legal or otherwise) from having to bail guys out or fend off lawsuits or rearrange shows, just because some of their wrestlers got into a drunken brawl with some of the locals.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/sg_oxxt/status/1531206565768105984

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

melanie pillman died

https://twitter.com/FlyinBrianJr/status/1532428813312872452

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

drat, at least she got to see her boy make it. :smith:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
https://twitter.com/gregmep/status/1537917612230750208?t=XBF4EAm5JeYymmmmwRqSPQ&s=19

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
per Volk Han's instagram, RINGS Russia mainstay Nikolai Zouev has passed away.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/seanrosssapp/status/1538558417442328576?s=21&t=YeA3HoKhbAQC8EIRCXdF1A

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Mr White, that's not very wise :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/RealMikeTenay/status/1549096956445593601

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
RIP Judo Gene Lebell

https://twitter.com/MaulerMMA/status/1557198876251041792

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
:rip:

Steven Segal just poo poo himself and doesn't know why.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

LMAO I'd forgotten this story, thanks.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Here's an hour of Gene demonstrating submissions on Mando Guerrero (Eddie's brother) while also heeling it up like a mofo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es_CfKtMkVw

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I am delighted to know that story is legit.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Someone share the story for those who don't know. It's me I don't know

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shard posted:

Someone share the story for those who don't know. It's me I don't know

On the set of one of his movies back in the day, Segal was like "yo, it is literally impossible for anyone to choke me out." Gene LeBell, who was working as a stunt co-ordinator or a fight choreographer or whatever, was like "Oh really?" and took Segal up on his challenge. Basically, it not only turned out Segal was very choke out-able, he also proceeded to poo poo his pants in the process.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The version I always heard was similar, Lebell and Seagal were discussing holds, Lebell offers to show him a proper choke. He does and then Seagal apparently kicked him during it. Lebell goes "gently caress this guy" and cinches it in. Seagal waves off the stunt people going "Nah I got this" and then he was unconscious

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

oh yes. That's good. That's the stuff.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

The version I always heard was similar, Lebell and Seagal were discussing holds, Lebell offers to show him a proper choke. He does and then Seagal apparently kicked him during it. Lebell goes "gently caress this guy" and cinches it in. Seagal waves off the stunt people going "Nah I got this" and then he was unconscious

It was a kick to the balls as well. This combined with Seagal's arrogance about his ability to escape chokes and him being known to actually strike stuntmen for real for no reason and you can understand more why LeBell did what he did.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Can't imagine production was happy about the stunt coordinator taking out the talent but gently caress em lol

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There's also this gem about Seagal:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shard posted:

Can't imagine production was happy about the stunt coordinator taking out the talent but gently caress em lol

There's another story of Seagal ignoring warnings and ending up falling into the ocean because he was such an rear end and people thinking it was funny so I'm guessing they saw the humor of it.

Edit: HOW WAS I BEATEN TO THE STORY OF HIM FALLING INTO THE OCEAN?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seagal is by all accounts one of those people who thinks studying aikido gives him super powers. It's a shame that the Hollywood execs who were sold on him because of his demonstration didn't realize that you can't flip people the way he does without both involved parties being in agreement.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Shard posted:

Judo Gene Lebell supposedly also kicked the poo poo out of/maybe just embarrassed Bruce Lee and is part of the inspiration for the Once Upon A Time in Hollywood movie

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Story is he lifted him up in a fireman's carry and ran around with him for a while. Bruce got a bit upset, but then they laughed about it and Bruce went to train with LeBelle later.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't know if it's a bullshit story, but I remember hearing years ago about Kelly LeBrock getting into an argument with a bouncer, going and getting Seagal who tried to intimidate him and the bouncer just very professionally hauled his rear end out of there like he was any other random rear end in a top hat :allears:

Anyway, Judo Gene owned, lived a long life, and will be well-remembered by nearly everybody. What more can you ask for in life? :shobon:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Steven Seagal had a thing about challenging other martial arts guys to fights and the best story is about a coked up JCVD being pissed off and wanting to fight him and Seagal ran away.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Seagal is by all accounts one of those people who thinks studying aikido gives him super powers. It's a shame that the Hollywood execs who were sold on him because of his demonstration didn't realize that you can't flip people the way he does without both involved parties being in agreement.

In his prime, Steven Seagal was a very large dude, especially by Hollywood star standards, with intensity, charisma, a camera-friendly fighting style and legitimate athletic ability. Pro wrestler potential right there.

He's also always been a bully who verbally and physically abuses his co-stars. An ego-maniac who wants complete control over his roles and lines and is incredibly difficult to work with. Also sexually harasses women and has multiple rape allegations. Again, could have been a pro wrestler.

Basically: gently caress Steven Seagal, Gene Lebell rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Suleman posted:

In his prime, Steven Seagal was a very large dude, especially by Hollywood star standards, with intensity, charisma, a camera-friendly fighting style and legitimate athletic ability. Pro wrestler potential right there.

He's also always been a bully who verbally and physically abuses his co-stars. An ego-maniac who wants complete control over his roles and lines and is incredibly difficult to work with. Also sexually harasses women and has multiple rape allegations. Again, could have been a pro wrestler.

Basically: gently caress Steven Seagal, Gene Lebell rules.

He also assaulted John Leguizamo and got fired/written out of a movie over it