Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There are all sorts of video games based on movies. Not as much as in the movie tie-in golden age of the 00s when every kids movie and blockbuster had a lovely platformer attached to it. There are all movies and shows based on games. There are novelizations of video games and the extended universe of Halo and what not. But where are the video games based on books?

I looked and it's mainly detective stories with the odd fantasy novel here and there. But what about the classics? Are there video games based on Middlemarch? Or great expectations? The brothers karamazov? It seems like a great way for me to experience these novels without having to read them something already done perfectly by the Nancy Drew games.

With the explosion of indie games why haven't more developers taken advantage of these public domain properties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Actually there should be less videogames

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Colonel Cancer posted:

fewer*

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

It's pretty hard to wedge anime tits into literary classics like moby dick or mary shelley's frankenstein. My research indicates that anime tits are mandatory.

I have no mouth and I must scream was a good game based on a book or at least a short story. No tits tho.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Colonel Cancer posted:

*Fewer. Read a book, nerd :smuggo:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

bossy lady posted:

It's pretty hard to wedge anime tits into literary classics like moby dick or mary shelley's frankenstein. My research indicates that anime tits are mandatory.

I have no mouth and I must scream was a good game based on a book or at least a short story. No tits tho.

Uhh Dante's inferno?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

bossy lady posted:

I always wanted that game as a kid cuz of the sick boxart. Then I read the story. Then I played the game on my phone on a flight to China and enjoyed it!

Ew, yellow!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i would play a game where you are the titular philosophical concept of the catcher in the rye, and you just have to stop kids from jumping off a cliff

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sid Vicious posted:

i would play a game where you are the titular philosophical concept of the catcher in the rye, and you just have to stop kids from jumping off a cliff

that's about never growing older though so you're doing it every time you play a video game.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

that's about never growing older though so you're doing it every time you play a video game.

drat, does it also help with the physical aspect because my chest be hurtin

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

bossy lady posted:

what about Lady Chatterley's Lover?

you play as the gardener or whatever he was

Also there was a Dante's Inferno game recently but i didn't play it

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

what about Lady Chatterley's Lover?

you play as the gardener or whatever he was

Also there was a Dante's Inferno game recently but i didn't play it

Dantes Inferno came out over a decade ago

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

There are at least 32 videogames based on Lord of the Rings, OP. Some of them are older than the films.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Naturally one assumes it's simple a matter of money, OP. I've a great deal of difficulty imaging that there's enough crossover between the literate and the average videogame enthusiast for the endeavour to be financially sound.:wotwot:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

just remembered Nation States, based on the book Jennifer Government. its one of those dumb browser based country simulators, but it should count. i remember people playing this in high school

wtf its still up https://www.nationstates.net/

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

The best game of all time, STALKER, was based on the book Roadside Picnic.

There ya go

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

half life 2 is basically 1984

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
It's a little known fact that the original Mario video game was based on a cheap romance novel where two Italian plumbers get hosed up on mushrooms and bone down with a princess who is obsessed with turtles and has like a hundred of all different types.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Make Albert Camus' L'Etranger into a first person shooter.

Turn Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe into a Tetris clone

The Thornbirds by Colleen Mcollough deserves to be a horror game. Or a bishibashi game. either would be fine.

And topically, make The Art of the Deal, (which was written by some mushroom dicked, small handed failed steak salesman), into a fighting game.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we're still reading them. it takes time to read books and get the ideas for games. there are a lot of books out there and it turns out that most of them are very bad.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the dune game basically invented the modern rts, although its not exactly a direct adaptation of the book or anything like that

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Squaresoft made a Tom Sawyer RPG way back in 89

Also there's an ok indie platformer based on Great Gatsby, but it's a flash game and good luck dealing with that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

public libraries lend out video games now, confirming what i've always known to be true. video games are books.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

blu-rays are also books by the same principle

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
?????????????

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Left hand of darkness battle royale

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There are all sorts of video games based on movies. Not as much as in the movie tie-in golden age of the 00s when every kids movie and blockbuster had a lovely platformer attached to it. There are all movies and shows based on games. There are novelizations of video games and the extended universe of Halo and what not. But where are the video games based on books?

I looked and it's mainly detective stories with the odd fantasy novel here and there. But what about the classics? Are there video games based on Middlemarch? Or great expectations? The brothers karamazov? It seems like a great way for me to experience these novels without having to read them something already done perfectly by the Nancy Drew games.

With the explosion of indie games why haven't more developers taken advantage of these public domain properties?

for being only 60 years old video games are doing very good.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Also OP, you are forgetting all the games made about that classic American art form, comic BOOKS.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
All the Names point and click adventure, as narrated by Kelsey Grammer

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Brothers Karamazov coop shooter!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

journey to the west, water margin, and romance of the three kingdoms are all literary classics and and they all have multiple video games based on them, the latter probably more than any other book. well except maybe tolkein

also, while none of them are popular, there are many video games based on the bible

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 7, 2022

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The Jungle meat packing plant manager

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I would play a game based on Dream of the Ball Turret Gunner where you get to hose blood out of shattered ball turrets.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there is also a whole book>game>book ecosystem called tom clancy, who was once a human being and who now exists as a brand. rainbow six was an actual book written by tom clancy. then there was a video game initially loosely based on that book but then it turned into a big series. then there were other video game franchises under the tom clancy name that started out as games first - ghost recon, splinter cell, the division - which were not based on books, but now there are books based on those games. and these books are not written by tom clancy, who is now dead btw, but they still have tom clancy's name on them.

now he is the ultimate ghost writer, in the sense that he is literally a ghost, and still authoring books - all thanks to the magic of video games

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 7, 2022

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what about suikoden op

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
why aren't there more (good) books based on video games? I read a Halo book once and it sucked poo poo, but like dead space martyr is really loving good for even just a sci fi horror novel on it's own

I think I tried reading a final fantasy book once and got bored

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Montague Tigg posted:

why aren't there more (good) books based on video games? I read a Halo book once and it sucked poo poo, but like dead space martyr is really loving good for even just a sci fi horror novel on it's own

I think I tried reading a final fantasy book once and got bored

Read Blaster Master!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, OP

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Earwicker posted:

now he is the ultimate ghost writer, in the sense that he is literally a ghost, and still authoring books - all thanks to the magic of video games

Virginia Andrews already did this, and she didn't need video games to do it.

She used the power of incest and abused children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

kntfkr posted:

Read Blaster Master!

the only place I can find it is on amazon for $23, is it actually good? that was my favorite game when I was like 7